Format: DVD|Change

on 28 December 2004
Having seen the number of dissing reviews on the IMDB, I just had to put in this review in defiance, as a chap who watches a movie to enjoy it rather than blam it.
The plot is simple. Garfield, fat lazy lasagne-loving telly-addict cat is living his very simple life, when his owner Jon get a new pet from his vet girlfriend, Liz. A puppy dog called Odie. Odie quickly turns Garfield's life on end and the two are always quarelling over their hometurf. Then Odie is kidnapped by an evil TV showman and Garfield must face his guilty conscience and rescue him.
While not the most brilliant of movies, Garfield is still hilariously funny and you'd have to be incredibly sour not to laugh. The special effects are brilliant - not just the CGI Garfield, but the whole facial animation with the other animal characters. The way that Garfield portrays moral developement is also good and I recommend this as a truly delightful family movie.
on 7 December 2004
i totally love this movie and so do my cousins it does the cartoon justice if you have kids buy it for them if not buy it for yourself please buy you will not regret it has everything and i hope there is a sequel.
on 23 January 2005
If you're looking for a film to buy for the children and it must have that certain play-over-again-and-again-ability then you could do a lot lot worse than choose Garfield The Movie.
My daughter (9) was bought this film for Xmas and has played it over and over again. Her brother (4) adores the film as well and the two of them even quote lines back and forth between themselves.
I've watched the film with them and although it can only hold limited appeal for the adult audience it is well made and does have its own charm. Bill Murray is excellent as the voice of Garfield and the real life animals are fantastically trained. The CGI Garfield is quite brilliantly done and interacts so well with the real life film. Favourite part must be the end credits when Garfield performs he very own special dance.
Great film to have in the collection for that rainy Saturday afternoon.
As a kid, I read the comics religiously. And Garfield was a favorite back then. I just loved this sarcastic, self-centered, lazy cat. So I always intended to see Garfield: The Movie. Somehow, I never got around to it until I caught it on TV. Yep, free was the right price.

Garfield (voiced by Bill Murray) has it made. As Jon's (Breckin Meyer) only pet, the cat can get away with just about anything. Sleeping late? Check. Eating all of Jon's lasagna while leaving Jon his cat food? Check. And he never even has to leave their street.

All that changes on one of their frequent trips to veterinarian Liz (Jennifer Love Hewitt). Jon has been in love with Liz since high school. He goes fully intending to finally ask Liz out on a date, but instead comes home with a new dog named Odie. Garfield doesn't like the encroacher on his kingdom. It's even worse that this is a dumb mutt. But when Odie goes missing, Garfield decides he must go on a rescue trip. Can he do it?

Probably because the title character is so iconic, the producers made Garfield a computer animated character while everything else, even the other animals, are live action. As a result, Garfield is the only thing that looks like his comic strip counterpart. All the effects worked quite well, however.

The first few minutes of the movie were pretty true to the strip. I was smiling as characters and things I hadn't thought of in years came back to me. I mean, the first line of the movie is "I Hate Mondays," a recurring quote from the strip.

But as the story starts to get going, the movie falls apart. The movie wasn't really that funny. Maybe Garfield's sarcasm and pessimism work better in small doses. But I love that stuff, so I have a feeling the jokes were just falling flat.

Furthermore, the story was by the number predictable. If I were enjoying it, I might not have cared. But since I was already bored with things, I just sat there waiting for the movie to end.

And I never could get past the Jon/Liz relationship. In this movie, the attraction is mutual. In the strip, Liz can't stand Jon. I was willing to overlook some of the other differences, but that's a pretty major one.

I'm not faulting the cast for any of this. They all do a fine job. But you can't make a non-funny script funny no matter how talented you are. I was actually surprised to see several well known names voicing the animals. People like Alan Cumming, Brad Garrett, Debra Messing, and Richard Kind voice characters here. I've heard there was some debate about Bill Murray as Garfield. Personally, I thought he was perfect in the part.

The few moments that put a smile on my face weren't enough to make the movie worth watching. Instead of seeing Garfield: The Movie, find one of the comic strip collections. You'll have a much better time.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 4 September 2013
There have been many live action movies made of popular cartoon characters over the years, and quite a few of them have failed to please. 'Garfield' however, I'm happy to say did not.

As a loyal reader of the comic strips, I was never of the opinion that Garfield was for children's only, far from it. However, it is kids (who will learn about the importance of friendship) who will probably be the main audience for this film, but the delightful humour and cute story will also win over the adults.

You'd have to have a serious lack of humour to not find the quirky, lazy cat with the huge appetite for lasagne funny. The plot is simple, Garfield finds himself having to save Odie (much like the classic cartoon short 'Here Comes Garfield' from over two decades before) from a life of hell as a TV puppet. Actors Breckin Meter and Jennifer Love Hewitt are good as Garfield's owner Jon and his love interest Liz, the latter who has been long established as a character in the comic strip.

If your sceptical about a live action Garfield adventure, don't be - I think you may be pleasantly surprised by this 2004 film.

I've always disliked cats, but I have to make an exception for Garfield.
on 18 January 2006
I rented Garfield the movie for my 6 year old daugher. She was hooked! ... so were the rest of the family. We all really enjoyed it. Good family entertainment with nothing scary in. It was very funny. Would certainly watch it again.
on 30 November 2004
Although this film has been panned by the critics... i bought it and enjoyed every minute of it.. ok it has a few faults but name me a film that dosen't.. If you enjoyed the cartoon strip/Books back in the 80's YOU WILL ENJOY this...My only problem was with the 'Live' Odie's interaction with an Animated Garfield but this is only a very minor one...
on 8 January 2005
I didn't want to watch this film, but was persuaded to. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. It was very funny and Garfield's moves were just like a real cat's are. If you want some light entertainment that you do not have to think about, this is the film for you.
on 6 January 2005
This was one of the cutest movies we've seen in a long time.
Even with no kids at home to share it with, it was well worth seeing. The only glitch in it was that Jon was not nerdy enough.
We have a new movie to put on to our favourites list.
on 24 December 2006
This is a superb comedy!! Garfield is utterly awesome/funny in this movie! As it is hard to really explain, I reccomend that anyone watches this as it's a fun, comedy, great for all the family to see!