on 1 February 2005
This was a really good buy. Could not find it cheaper anywhere else on the net and free delivery !
Print quality is excellent. I thought my old Epson C60 wasn't too bad but this is miles better and quicker. Its also a lot quieter than some ive heard. If you want a bargain then buy it !
Good for everyday letters / emails etc and of course the photos are superb. Bundled software is also a lot better than previous versions of Epson printer software. The ink lasts pretty good too. So far ive printed 20 or so 6x4 photos and several letters / copies of things and the ink levels have hardly moved.
If you have any doubts - don't have any as theres no hidden nasties !
on 8 March 2005
Having received the machine earlier this morning (which arrived first thing, and might I add that I was very impressed with the delivery service provided by Amazon), I couldn't wait to get rid of my old printer when I got home from work. The machine itself is quite compact and not too bulky. Installation was simple (all you had to do was follow the very easy installation instructions). I was soon photocopying and printing photos. I was most impressed with the photo's printed so far. They were really clear and sharp (printed on the photo paper that came free with the printer, a bonus which I didn't expect to receive). It was really easy to download photos from my memory card onto my computer and the software which came with the machine is very good as well. I am really pleased with my purchase. Would thoroughly recommend to anyone. Excellent value for money!
on 21 February 2005
Might be useful for any potential buyers to know that there are in fact plenty of compatible 3rd-party consumables for this model. Try searching ebay for "RX420" and you can pick up a complete set of inks (3 colors + black) for around £5 + postage.
on 7 May 2005
This is a fantastic all in one printer for the money. Superb quality photo prints and scanned images appear bright and crystal clear. Normal text and image printing quality is very good.
I love the fact that it uses separate ink cartridges but i feel the ink could last a bit longer. However, replacement cartridges are cheap and there is a bargain picture pack that gives you all four cartridges and 100 6 x 4" photo sheets for just over £20.
Build quality is excellent and this certainly feels like a more expensive machine than it is. Size wise its farily compact, with a footprint about the same as two A4 sheets side by side. Not quite as small as some of the HP models but certainly no giant in this class. The scanner lid is removable if you want to copy large books.
In my opinion the print speed at normal settings is slower than it could be. Set it to draft quality however and the pages practically fly at you! The memory card reader and direct printing are nice touches although USB 2.0 speed would be better.
The only thing this printer lacks is a screen to preview prints but at this price you cant really argue. Highly reccomended.
on 1 March 2005
It is all it said it would be and more, I chose this printer after reading all the reviews on this website. I wanted a printer for photos and the childrens homework/topics. It was very easy to install, I did mine at 6.35am this morning and by 7.35am i was printing photo's off.
on 30 December 2004
I bought this printer primarily to digitise and print my wedding photos. The quality of both scanning and printing is excellent. The device driver for Windows XP provides easy maintenance tools, which I found easier to use than those of other manufacturers. (You can also use this printer on Linux.) The only qualm I've got is the cost of ink cartridges. There do not seem to be generic cartridges available for this model, so don't expect the running cost to be particularly cheap. So it may not perhaps be suitable for heavy office use; but as an all-in-one printer, it is ideal for light and multi-purpose family use. Then again, it is very affordable for the quality it provides so I would recommend it to anyone.
0Comment|82 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 January 2005
Excellent product producing high quality photos.
Easy to use either via PC or direct from memory card.
Pleasantly surprised by the Amazon price and speedy delivery.
Minor quibble would be that the USB cable is not provided!
Would be worthwhile for Amazon to add it to the related items for those buying the printer.
However, would still highly recommend the product and Amazon.
on 30 January 2005
I have been hanging on to my old Epson printer for too many years, but having bought a new PC, needed a new multi function machine. Having seen the clever adverts for this, I then read a review in 'Computeractive' who gave it their 'Buy it' approval. Amazon's price plus excellent service delivered, and having set up, I find the printer does everything superbly. I have been copying, scanning all weekend and the quality is great considering it's price. The on screen software is both user friendly and a breeze to operate. If you need a printer that does it all - print/scan/photos/copy - get this one, why pay more?
on 9 August 2005
I have brought around 4 printers over the last two years or so, let down by the quality or prohibitive running costs. I purchased the RX420 as I needed a printer solely for to produce some important academic work including many images and photos.
The quality of prinitng is fine and I have no problems there. What I do have an issue with is the cartridges. I purchased a printer with separate cartridges as these are usually the cheaper long-term solution and many can be topped up. The RX420 however uses chipped cartridges that calculate how much ink you have left before not letting you carry on and cannot be refilled.
This would be fine execpt I have had occassions where I have replaced one or more cartridges and the others have suddenly chnaged their level reading for no reason (in one case from 80% to suddenly saying I was about to run out). In another case despite being in the correct slots the cartridges printed wrong colours.
The result is that I no longer buy the Epson branded cartridges and would advise other users to shop around for alternative makes of ink cartridges that fit into the RX420.
on 29 March 2005
I purchased one of these devices over the weekend to replace an old HP Office Jet, and am delighted with the results.
6 x 5 photo printing is easy with the software provided, and the results are outstanding. I've even been brave enough to print A4 photos and they're still crystal clear. Scanning is also a doddle and again the results are fantastic. put mine through its paces by scanning a 20 something year old photo, then printing.
If you're looking for a device that's easy to use, install that wont disappoint, purchase one!

See one answered question