4.0 out of 5 stars It's ok
well with the death of Pat Roach AKA Bomber Busbridge, they couldn't include Bomber in the special episodes which are the last EVER!!!!
Published on 8 Jan. 2005 by mercury_5

2.0 out of 5 stars Auf Wiedersehen, Auf Wiedersehen Pet
Published on 1 Sept. 2010 by S. Williams

4.0 out of 5 stars It's ok, 8 Jan. 2005
This review is from: Auf Wiedersehen Pet: The Special [DVD] [2004] (DVD)
However the gang have just enough fun and antics as the six....not the magnificent seven as they have been known as. But this DVD is worth any amount of purchase.....and it has a surprising twist at the end....want to know? then BUY IT!!!
I know i will

2.0 out of 5 stars Auf Wiedersehen, Auf Wiedersehen Pet, 1 Sept. 2010
S. Williams - See all my reviews
This review is from: Auf Wiedersehen Pet: The Special [DVD] [2004] (DVD)
I'm a big fan of the two new series that were produced. I thought that the 3rd series was strong, showing some really smart character growth, and the 4th series - whilst a tiny bit far-fetched for some - was both enormously entertaining and slickly directed and was my favourite of all the series, new and old. And while this special is definitely enjoyable (the first part especially), there is unfortunately a bit of a gulf in quality between this and what preceded it. The problem is one of two things - either an over-complicated story for a short run of two episodes, or a story that just ends up being too far-fetched. Unfortunately I'm more inclined to think it's the latter.

After an encounter with the devious "Tarquin bloody Pearce" on the Orient Express, father-to-be Barry finds himself taken hostage by bandits and dragged through the jungle. After being approached with information on his whereabouts, Oz and the gang mount an unlikely rescue but wind up as hostages themselves.

I'm guessing that the producers wanted the series to end with something spectacular, and in theory there's nothing really wrong with the plot outlined above, it's just what happens once they are all taken hostage where it starts to really go downhill. From the somewhat cliché homage to "The Bridge on the River Kwai" to the bizarre and jarring choice to use Chumbawumba as a soundtrack to the montage (in a series that has had outstanding soundtracks the last two times around), the last 20 or so minutes of the second part just requires too much suspension of disbelief and is a tad predictable.

One final gripe though would be that the end of the first episode returns to the format of the 3rd series of showing a preview of the next episode. This is fine, and something that worked well originally, however they chose to reveal an awful lot of plot twists in this preview! Before starting the second episode you already know that Oz and the gang will mount a rescue, be double crossed and captured, break out of their hut, start building something in the village together, steal a satellite phone and give the authorities their location, and be under threat of being moved once the bandits realise that something is going on. All in all, this covers nearly every plot twist in the second episode outside of the final 5 minutes, in which they're rescued. It really is baffling why they gave so much away (it seemed more like a recap than a preview) and it spoilt my enjoyment of the second episode a lot in that I knew a lot of what was going to happen!

It's understandable why they wanted to do the special, and I don't think Auf Wiedersehen Pet should have ended with Series 4 (however good it was), but they didn't need to go with such an over-the-top storyline to see it off. But for all the bad in the second episode, the first half an hour of the first part is as good as anything in the last two series, including a nice tribute to the late Pat Roach (Bomber in all the previous series) and a nice montage of the gang living their lives after the 'magnificent seven' have gone their seperate ways to end the series.

Unfortunately the DVD comes with no extras which is why I've given this DVD a low rating of 2/5. Some kind of documentary would have been nice or something extra as this was the last ever Auf Wiedersehen, Pet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Has it really been over 20 years?!, 19 Mar. 2005
This review is from: Auf Wiedersehen Pet: The Special [DVD] [2004] (DVD)
I'd like to thank the writers and makers of one of the UK's best loved programmes. I have grown up with the characters of 'Auf Pet' (though can't quite believe it really has been over 20 years since the first episode) and the ending of this highly enjoyable two-part special was just perfect. The actors all looked as if they had a lot of fun making this final treat for their fans. Thanks to the talented actors who have given us such rich characters as Oz, Dennis, Neville, Barry, Moxey, Bomber, Wayne and Wyman. With the sad departure of Gary Holton (Wayne) and Pat Roach (Bomber) since the first show, I think that it's probably best to call it a day and depart on a high note. I have every episode on DVD now and on those occasions when I just need a pick-me-up, an episode of Auf Wiedersehen Pet is just the job.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent.These lads never let me down., 16 Jan. 2005
This review is from: Auf Wiedersehen Pet: The Special [DVD] [2004] (DVD)
I loved it, as I have loved all of the series.
It's a great show that can have you laughing one minute,crying the next.The last scene takes us full circle and makes you think of all the years we've all spent in between, friends gone,things lost, a future still out there.
I just wish they the writers and actors would reconsider and keep doing more.
So please if anybody connected witht his marvellous show read this,please, please do more.
You still have it.
The fans still want more and need more.
We all need a good laugh and these guys are like family now.

4.0 out of 5 stars Auf Wiedersehen!, 20 Mar. 2010
This review is from: Auf Wiedersehen Pet: The Special [DVD] [2004] (DVD)

Personally it's not the best of the series however it is still very enjoyable. I mainly think the special was put together to give the series closure and it did just that.

The lads as usual where highly entertaining and they really did look like they were so comfortable together which made the show more realistic and enjoyable.

I couldn't actually believe when I watched the special that the series had actually been around for 20 years! The plot is not the best or the most memorable however I still did really enjoy it. I definitely think this is the most far fetched plot they have come up with! For me the fact that it was the final send off made up for the few flaws I found.

The characters were on top form, a few years apart in my eyes did wonders for the show. Even though I love the series Im actually glad that they did not churn out more series' and that it finally came to an end before it run out of steam.

The ending is quite fitting and rounded the series off nicely leaving the lads to depart on a high note. It was nice to give the lads a good send off and I really think this series will be the last.

The only gripe I had was that everything seemed a little rushed but I think that is because I am used to enjoying more than two episodes.

Overall the series had the same winning formula of the other series' with the added sentimental touch when the lads put their tools to rest.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Ending to Savour, 1 Jun. 2005
Michael J Cooper (Newcastle, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Auf Wiedersehen Pet: The Special [DVD] [2004] (DVD)
I have been watching Auf Weidershen Pet since the day it was first show on TV and I felt it somewhat sad that the Special will be the last time that we see the "lads" doing what they do best, making us all feel good. For those Aufpet fans out there they could not have asked for a better ending to a absolutly wonderful series that has given them so much joy over the past 20 years.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Magnificent Seven ride off into the sunset., 9 April 2009
This review is from: Auf Wiedersehen Pet: The Special [DVD] [2004] (DVD)
The final two part outing for the lads feels as if it's something of an afterthought. Despite that there's still many moments to enjoy and I'm pleased that the characters get a closure of sorts as the previous series didn't have a definite ending.

The early part is the best with plenty of interaction and some amusing moments along with a poignant farewell to Bomber. But later on the story is very slight, relying for the fourth time in the fourteen new episodes on Barry getting held captive somewhere, and that's at least three times too many.

For the sake of completeness you'll want to watch this and you won't be disappointed, even if the best thing about this is that the ending refers to the opening of the very first episode. And that will make you think to yourself, I'll get out the dvd of the first series now and watch them all over again!

4.0 out of 5 stars The final chapter in the story, 30 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Auf Wiedersehen Pet: The Special [DVD] [2004] (DVD)
A well put together end to the likely lads adventures. With the passing of Pat Roach it was hard to see how the story could be wrapped up with the success of previous series.
Viewers will not be disappointed but not the same vibe without Bomber. A good watch though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Time for ongoiung series, 31 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Auf Wiedersehen Pet: The Special [DVD] [2004] (DVD)
I have just finished the series 1-5 all I have to say it was the best series I've seen.... first equal with star trek my other favourite series very different in many ways but similar in the fact that the characters are what make the series gold. 3 main characters and then four others that bond everything together.

What i would like to say if the writers and producers ever read these comments then lets start a new series. The stories characters are eternal I feel sad that bomber and Wayne are no longer with us but I feel the series should go on and new characters like Wyman introduced.
Writers, Actors producers let's just do it.

Over the 5 series I've had many beers and my wife and I have enjoyed every minute.

Cheers to all the writers produces and of course the actors which are so loveable.

Thanks and here I will hope for more

5.0 out of 5 stars The boys are at it again, 9 Jan. 2013
Mr. L. Allen "Movie fan" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Auf Wiedersehen Pet: The Special [DVD] [2004] (DVD)
Ah the boys are back again, this dvd was just to get me into set of the lads , the cowboy builders that tickled us all in the 1980's with their humour and antics while trying to earn a crust and be good britts abroad, of cause it all goes tits up evey episode still makes me smile when i sit and watch it, this has got to be one of all time tv greats that will live on in our live forever, as no matter who what or how old we are and get we all would have at some point wanted to be there working away from home away from good old blighty, knowing we would return home with that pot of gold hahahaha obviously the boys here never got the gold much but the laughter and the one liners make this a good old classic any day,
I am a fan of Jimmy nailes songs too, i love to see tim spahl in other sittuations as here he is bumbling barry but he can also be very serious as he was in the Last Samuri alonf side Tom Cruise, Denis Healy he has had a decent career pitty that young holt died of the drug od back then, and look how far bomber went having made some all time greats in his time playing villians and heros (may he rest in piece) now sadly gone, the lads all bar a couple have followed onto greater things like Kevin Whately famous for lewis the spin of from inspector morse, well don elasd keeping us entertained in all aspects of your careers....

Auf Wiedersehen Pet: The Special [DVD] [2004]
Auf Wiedersehen Pet: The Special [DVD] [2004] by Sandy Johnson (DVD - 2005)