4.0 out of 5 stars A little Darcey
Hmmm. I had great hopes for this even though I had read other reviews. I see what they mean. Were some of the scenes filmed by amateurs? Some scenes were repeated - that's cheating. Didn't get to see enough of In the Middle Somewhat Elevated, I would love to see the whole piece.
Published on 10 Sep 2009 by Mrs. G. Bedford

2.0 out of 5 stars Quite disappointing
Published on 19 July 2007 by Hasibasi

2.0 out of 5 stars Quite disappointing, 19 July 2007
This review is from: Darcey Bussell [DVD] (DVD)
I absolutely agree with the first review of this DVD. I only rented it and am glad I didn't spend any money on buying this DVD as I kept having deja vue's, or so I thought. It was actually the same scenes repeated over and over again, the Swan Lake rehearsal was shown 3 or 4 times (I actually lost count). Darcey is such an exceptional dancer, I have been fortunate enough to see her live a few times and there would have been so much more to be on offer. Also, when filming ballet it's always best to show the whole body, not just the dancer's face, the Dallas cameraman must have been quite an amateur in this field...
All in all, it's nice to have a DVD dedicated to Darcey, but run-time is 43 Minutes only (not 60 as described) of which there is too much repetition and definitely a missed opportunity to show her talent properly. I hope there will be another, better DVD soon, now that Darcey has retired from classical ballet.

3.0 out of 5 stars How can someone have produced such a disappointing film of such a wonderful dancer?, 2 Aug 2009
This review is from: Darcey Bussell [DVD] (DVD)
Having just watched this DVD I can say that I completely agree with the previous reviews. How can someone have produced such a disappointing film of such a wonderful dancer? I loved Darcey in "Sylvia" and long to have more DVDs of her performances now that she has retired but this is a very strange tribute to her. I don't have the dance knowledge to name the opening dance sequence which I enjoyed and have never seen before (there are no notes with the DVD to help me here and trying to find any credits on the DVD meant watching too much again of what I had not enjoyed). The majority of the rest of the content is an unsatisfying collection of disjointed (and repetitive)snippets of practice sessions, making-up, preparing shoes (and toes) etc, many with poor lighting and camera work.

3.0 out of 5 stars Missed opportunity, 12 Feb 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Darcey Bussell [DVD] (DVD)
The best thing about this DVD is the long segments of "In the Middle Somewhat Elevated", where you really see what an extraordinary dancer Bussell is.
Given that the opening and closing sequences are virtually identical, the DVD is really only about 37 minutes long.
Once again, a dance film is ruined by not showing the whole of the dancer's body: the rehearsal sequences in particular suffer.
There are stills of her as a younger dancer (with Macmillan for instance), but no more information on his influence, or her development as a dancer.
I was disappointed - a missed opportunity, and warranting the 3 stars purely for "In the Middle..." sequence.

1.0 out of 5 stars Darcey Bussell, 14 Jan 2010
Mr. D. Owen - See all my reviews
This review is from: Darcey Bussell [DVD] (DVD)
Very poor photography. You need to see the entire body to appreciate ballet. I am surprised Darcey allowed this DVD to be issued.

2.0 out of 5 stars DVD of Darcey, 18 Oct 2013
This review is from: Darcey Bussell [DVD] (DVD)
As a former TV producer and having knowledge of a lot of footage of Darcey taken for various docs over the years the footage in this was so poor and so badly put together, I was very disappointed. It was also appallingly structured. Sorry to Darcey but it has done you a disservice especially as so much footage exists of you at work and in rehearsal.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointed, 25 Oct 2012
This review is from: Darcey Bussell [DVD] (DVD)
This DVD was extremely disappointing. Most of the content was repeated a number of times making it a very boring and repetitive programme. Certainly not worth the money and i would definitely not recommend it to anyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars A little Darcey, 10 Sep 2009
Mrs. G. Bedford "mummybee" (Hastings, England) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Darcey Bussell (DVD), 26 Jun 2014
This review is from: Darcey Bussell [DVD] (DVD)
Informative and exquisite. The story of ballet told by one of our greatest ballerinas, illustrated by beautiful works of poetic dancing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Darcey Bussell, 19 Dec 2013
This review is from: Darcey Bussell [DVD] (DVD)
Seen before, bought as a Christmas present, I'm sure anyone would enjoy this DVD. Would recommend and as always service excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars darcey bussell (dvd), 4 Jun 2013
This review is from: Darcey Bussell [DVD] (DVD)
an indepth look at the life and world of one of the most prominent british ballet dancers very highly reccomended

Darcey Bussell [DVD]
Darcey Bussell [DVD] by Eddy French (DVD - 2004)
12.05