5.0 out of 5 stars DONT'T WATCH THIS AT NIGHT!
Published on 3 Nov 2004 by satans_son

Published on 10 July 2011 by milesfb

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars DONT'T WATCH THIS AT NIGHT!, 3 Nov 2004
This review is from: Ring / Ring 2 / Ring 0 (DVD) (Triple Pack) [1996] (DVD)
I watched Gore Verbinski's Ring prior to watching the jap versions, but I have to say that japanese horror is far more horrifying than the western one. They don't worry about our sanity, they just want to scare the hell out of you. Ring 1 is absolutely great, fear in its most pure form, Ring 2 is probably the weakest of the trilogy, yet quite good, and Ring 0, wich explanis how the evil Sadako was born, is pure panic. Forget Jason, Freddy, Myers or Leatherface; Sadako has got to be the most horrifying character that ever appeared on a TV screen. Those eyes are the vision of Satan itself. Hideo Nakata, who is also directing the american version of Ring 2, is an absolute genius. If you like these masterpieces, then watch Dark Water. J-HORROR LIVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally!, 16 Nov 2004
Vladimir Cvetkovic Sever (Zagreb, Croatia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ring / Ring 2 / Ring 0 (DVD) (Triple Pack) [1996] (DVD)
I guess I've been waiting for this set ever since I was introduced to the Ringu phenomenon at the Edinburgh Film Festival back in 2000. Didn't bother buying the earlier UK Region 2 DVDs, which were universally panned on technical grounds, and hoped something like this would come along eventually to curb the enthusiasm surrounding the overambitious American remake. Now, after seeing the 'canonical' Ringu movies en masse, I guess it is possible for anyone to see why Hideo Nakata is directing the American remake!
The movies are uniformly excellent -- up to and including Sleeping Bride, which is a kind of a tangent here, really -- and a great lesson in the 'less is more' school of creeping the bejesus out of anyone. My favorite scenes are scattered throughout the tryptich -- not trilogy, as Kim Newman smartly points out in his liner notes -- so it's totally convenient to have them packaged in one box. And what a box it is! Tartan should win some awards for the packaging alone -- this is by far the best usage of a lenticular image I've seen on a DVD yet. Also, having the whole thing encased in a clear plastic sleeve makes it look both classy and durable on the shelf.
Audio presentation is immaculate across the board -- your choice of DD 5.1, DTS, or Dolby Surround (not just stereo!) -- with no dubs in sight. Visually, Ringu 2 and Bride fare better than the other two, but just barely -- all the movies are very sharp, and the subdued color schemes are rendered even more accurately than on the R1 DreamWorks DVD of the first Ringu (which is also slightly cropped). There is evidence of NTSC/PAL conversion, though, but it could prove bothersome only to those with certain types of DVD-ROM drives. On a widescreen TV this goes by pretty much unnoticed.
Extras are a bit light, but the deleted scenes on Ringu 0 are in full widescreen and look the same as the regular movie (this is so rare!), while the behind-the-scenes footage is raw and compelling -- the Sadako Mime Class in particular. And every bit of it is competently subtitled (even though the rhyme from the tape is rendered differently in Ringu and Ringu 2).
Those minor issues aside, this set is (and will be for a long time) an essential purchase for any fan of horror and Asian cinema in general.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best of the best, 15 Mar 2006
Jackiesmackie "Independently Different" (UK, Blackburn) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Ring / Ring 2 / Ring 0 (DVD) (Triple Pack) [1996] (DVD)
Forget any remake nonsense there is floating about - join the world cinema revolution and get your hands on these DVDS.
This was the set that gave me my new love for world horror - I have never in my life been as afraid as I was when Sedako came crawling crab style out of the telly, from her blackened stumps of nails to the rolling eye that could stop a bus at 2o feet she is terror personified.
Tastefully done and artfully crafted these are tales ultimately of woe and horror that beget all who come across the 'cursed video', in true asian style you will see lots of dark hair and half seen shadows in what became I think the gateway for many more world horror films to come through - welcome Sedako into your house - but beware, you have 7 days left to live!

4.0 out of 5 stars Ring Ring Ring, 29 April 2005
This review is from: Ring / Ring 2 / Ring 0 (DVD) (Triple Pack) [1996] (DVD)
This is where it all started. If ever a film was responsible for a resurgence in a genre then Ringu is that film. What it and it's sequels did for horror around the world and the asian film industry is unparralelled. From Ringu came numerous asian horrors of similar ilk like The Grudge, Dark Water, The Eye and Phone to name a few, almost every one of those horrors has been or is being re-made by american studios. While many feel this is an unwelcome trend in hollywood I am grateful for it. While America makes sub standard remakes more people will seek out the superior originals and that can only benefit the asian film indusrty and in turn, us the fans.
Ringu is a superb film, original, superbly acted and terrifying. It is a great story, simple enough to follow but with a depth and intrigue rarely seen in western horror. Ring 2 enhances the world of the original but as a film falls a little flat. I did not enjoy it to the same degree and while the ending is suitably unsettling it failed to deliver for me. That said Ring 0, the prequel is excellent. Having seen the others the story is easy to follow, telling the story of what has gone before, some truly frightening moments and more great acting put this on par with the original.
This trilogy package is great, I'd urge you to buy it and own a part of cinema history although a major lack of extras is disappointing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Electrifying, great work from Hideo Nakata, 26 Mar 2005
This review is from: Ring / Ring 2 / Ring 0 (DVD) (Triple Pack) [1996] (DVD)
This trilogy box set is definately the best horror film i have ever witnessed in my life. It isnt one of them lets go kill everyone and make loads of blood hooror movies. It has a story behind it which keeps you on the edge of your seat and it adds in a few spine tingling moments to round the film of. Overall this is a must see film if you like this sort of horror. And make sure you purchase the trilogy box set as it has some good extra's. Hope this has helped you.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad Version - Dont Buy - Get The Other 4 Disc Version Instead, 10 July 2011
milesfb (Staffordshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ring / Ring 2 / Ring 0 (DVD) (Triple Pack) [1996] (DVD)
I purchased this box set and was pleased with the new lower price. When it arrived I played the first film and the sound track was awful! At the start of the film the first scene is of the two girls and a bedroom telling each other stories. There is a dreadful background 'hiss' noise, (or some would call it white noise). Not only that but the quality of the picture would appear to be a transfer from a VHS tape! Its dreadful and definately not DVD quality. Also the subtitles appear rather rough and crude looking in white letters which you cannot always read when they appear on a scene where the background is white or bright. Further more the discs are labelled wrong! Ring 2 is actually Ring 0 and vice versa! Its an absolute farce and this product should be withdrawn from sale.

However, there is another box set version which has the picture of the girl coming out of the TV set on the front cover. This version is a 4 disc version and the sound quality is meant to be in crystal clear Dolby 5.1 or DTS. Therefore I have returned this 'duff' version to Amazon for a refund and am now ordering the other preferred box set from a different website as Amazon don't appear to sell it.

Therefore only 1 star for the crap quality of the DVDs but not the films themselves as they are legendary. (which would obviously get 5 stars).

Thanks for reading this.

5.0 out of 5 stars the sleeping bride alone is worth it., 1 Jan 2008
This review is from: Ring / Ring 2 / Ring 0 (DVD) (Triple Pack) [1996] (DVD)
Ringu was my first experience with asian horror. After years of yearning for something truely scary that lingers with you long after you see it this film was recommended to me by a friend. As opposed to the wham bam, scare ya now but not later horrors I was used to from western cinema this stayed with me long after it had finished. Seven days later I avoided being near a TV just in case. The story turned over in my mind. I was intrigued by the character of Sadako and her past. I actually wanted the film to go on because I wanted to know more (before I knew of the books obviously :P). The tension and the atmosphere throughout the film was just added to the overall eerieness...it gripped me like no other film had. Most importantly it was fresh and original, and a complete mind screw. The sequals, although not as scary, are just as good.

I've skipped over those fairly quickly because reviews of ring and the sequals are abundant. I wanted to discuss the hidden gem in this box set, sleeping bride. I read a paragraph of the story before. A twist on the sleeping beauty fairytale in which the only survivor of a plane crash is a pregnant woman who gives birth to her child, then dies leaving the child as the sole survivor. A child who just sleeps and seems destined to never wake. This blurb hardly does the tale justice. It's a beautiful film. It tells the story of a pure and true and lasting love. It demonstrates innocence and wonder at the world that we fail to appreciate. I can't really say too much without spoiling the film too much but I promise you this film will not only tug at your heart and teach you some important life lessons you will experience a roller coaster of emotions throughout.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Terror, 10 Oct 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Ring / Ring 2 / Ring 0 (DVD) (Triple Pack) [1996] (DVD)
My sister lent me Ringu and advised me not to watch it alone. I was sceptical - years of banal slash-horror have taken their toll - but I took her advice anyway. Just as well.
It's a very long time since I watched a film which froze me in my seat with terror, but I literally did not dare move during THAT scene. I haven't been able to watch it a second time. There's not a drop of blood, not a single violent scene - this is true, psychological horror at its best.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well, Well , Well, 28 Dec 2005
L. Davidson (Belfast, N.Ireland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Ring / Ring 2 / Ring 0 (DVD) (Triple Pack) [1996] (DVD)
"The Ring Trilogy" is the best example of Japanese Horror that I have seen to date , superior to derivative films like "Dark Water" and "Ju-On". All of these films have of course been remade by Hollywood studios in recent years ,bar "Ring 0" . "The Ring Trilogy" is more of a supernatural mystery story than a "horror" film as such. Each film reveals progressively more about a deadly curse ,associated with a disturbed young girl named Sadoko,who possesses unusual psychic powers,that is transmitted by viewing a video tape. In "Ring" and "Ring 2" (which is essentially a direct continuation of the original), we discover the nature of the curse and how it can be stopped while "Ring 0" is a prequel to the first two films ,explaining the strange events surrounding Sadoko's life and background. All three films are well acted and the plot is intriguing and intelligent. What I enjoyed most about the Trilogy was the way the films hinted at dark, unseen forces manipulating people and events, but left it to the viewer to decide for themselves exactly what they might be. I didn't rate "Dark Water" or "Ju-On" particularly highly, but I was quite impressed by "The Ring Trilogy" .

1.0 out of 5 stars Great films but cheap, shoddy DVDs, 25 May 2011
This review is from: Ring / Ring 2 / Ring 0 (DVD) (Triple Pack) [1996] (DVD)
Unfortunately, the viewing experience is somewhat ruined by the awful picture quality and the white English subtitles which cannot be read on scenes that have white or light colours in them. The discs are also labelled incorrectly - you end up having to play each one to find out which film it is. Not impressed.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›