5.0 out of 5 stars chronicles of life and death = amazing
I very rarely come across an album in which I can sit and listen to it right through, and I have to say this album does just that and more.
At least 12 of the 15 tracks on this album are amazing, and the other 3 are pretty good too!
Published on 2 Jan. 2005 by J. Snook

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
Published on 19 Dec. 2004 by king_dezeeuw06

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars chronicles of life and death = amazing, 2 Jan. 2005
J. Snook "Ichigo_2020 - Anime Buff" (Wales) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Chronicles of Life and Death [Death Version] (Audio CD)
Many people (including me) were put off by the fact that good charlottes music has changed so radically from being high spirited punk rock, to gothic (perhaps even a little depressing) rock, but I was totally shocked at the originality of this album.
I must warn you, that if you're looking for an all guitar rock fest of an album, this may not be for you, as GC have toned down the guitars a bit and introduced a more orchestral aproach to the album. I'm not saying that there aren't any guitars at all, but there certainly aren't as many as before.
I'd recommend this album to any one looking for something different in a modern rock band, the vocals of the madden brothers are filled with enthusiasm and emotion and in my opinion the band as a whole deserve the highest praise possible. Before I heard this album, to me, GC were just another band. It is rare that an album totally changes my view on a band, and that is why I'd seriously recommend this album.
I hope my review was helpful to you.
Buy the chronicles of life and death!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 19 Dec. 2004
A lot of people don't like Good Charlotte, a lot of this is down to the notion that any largely successful band must have 'sold out' or be manufactured. This is highly unfair and untrue, Good Charlotte play pop punk, and they play it better than most, and if the main stream wouldn't of jumped on the band wagon you can bet that Good Charlotte would be a lot more popular with the rock fans.
The past 2 GC albums have been brilliant, but 'The Chronicles of Life and Death' is very different from their previous efforts. The melodies are a lot more subtle, the choruses not as catchy and generally the songs are not as up beat and bouncy. It feels like the fun and catchy lyrics have been deliberately toned down to try and remove the claims that they are nothing but pop band. Its not a new musical direction, they are still playing the same style of music but just going about it in a different way, and the songs suffer for this. Although 'The Chronicles of Life and Death' it is not a terrible album, it is not a good album either, fans of Good Charlottes first 2 albums will be disappointed, and the musical side step is unlikely to gain them any new fans either.
On first listen you cant help but feel disappointed, but after a few listens some of the subtle melodies do start to sink in and the album will grow on you a little, but it is a still a difficult album to love ('Predictable' is by far the best track on the album).
Whether GC's altered sound is down to natural progression or as a response to their many critics is unclear, but whatever the reason, it is not a good thing. I am a big GC fan and I really tried to give them the benefit of the doubt, but sadly this album falls far short of what the band are capable of.

5.0 out of 5 stars Chronicles of life and death - this album rocks!, 12 Oct. 2004
When i first heard this album i wasnt to sure! As i am a very big good charlotte fan i knew that it would grow on me with more listens! and i was right!
Just as Good Charlotte's Self titled album was different from The young and the hopeless, this album is very different from both, the songs are much darker and deepper such as "Predictable" their first single and "Ghost of you", there are also slower tracks such as "the truth" which is a piano track with joels vocals and is a really nice song! (one of my favourits)and the secret track "wounded" is an acoustic and can be heard at the end of "meet my maker" which is the albums bonus track! other songs like "i Just wanna live" has hip hop inspired beats and sounds great! Good charlotte's Chronicles of life and death is definetly more a serious album with songs like "the world is black" talking about whats happing in the world today and so many people are dying.They've kinda left behind their pop-punk scene and their less serious tracks such as "boys and girls" and "lifstyels of the rich and famous" from "they young and the hopeless" which are kinda their more pop tracks but they still have they same kind of pop-punk theme on songs like "the chronicles of life and death" and "walk away" which is probaly more likely to be a single?
If You are a Good Chalrotte Fan this album will not let you down! and if you are just thinking of buying this as you first Good charlotte you should! you should also purchase their last two albums as well if you havent already!

5.0 out of 5 stars They've come up smelling of roses, 27 Nov. 2004
Dorisdayonspeed (Lancaster, Lancashire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Personally I think this album will pave the way for Good Charlotte's career. Its extremely deep without containing lyrics which are so confusing, someone studying rocket science couldnt work them out. Its a beautiful album too, as soon as the opening track plays and the Japenese girls begin to sing, I almost feel like Im taking a journey.
Good Charlotte have always been open about things they dont agree with, and are one of the most controversial bands out there, simply because they do what they want. This album is no different. The topics covered here are important topics, mundane YES, but important to everyday people. It contains songs such as 'S.O.S' a brilliant follow up to 'Hold On' (I was almost tempted to play it to my parents). A personal favourite of mine is 'I just wanna live' (soon to be new single) a very rappy song, which takes the michael out of famous people, and 'The Truth' a song which makes me cry everytime I listen to it.
I dont think this will be their best album, and it isnt by any means perfect, but its the defining album, the tables have turned for this band and Id like to see what happens in the future.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good solid rock, 19 Nov. 2004
Ian S. J. Jones (Reading, England) - See all my reviews
I admire Good Charlotte for not being afraid to sing openly about issues within society and some of their more personal songs about troubles they have had at home. There is a greater abundance of these songs in their "Young and Hopeless" Album however.
Chronicles shows that the band have come a long way, and although the band's image suggests that they are punk, they are far from it. The closest tune to anything remotely punk is probably the single "Predicatable". However this does not stop the album being good if you like rock. The sing-along songs are aplenty, "I Just Wanna Live" springs to mind. However, there are a few weak tracks in the album, and heavier rock fans will not appreciate this album, or indeed Good Charlotte, at all. There music is borderline pop (some have said similar to Busted... *shudder*), but as long as you're not expecting anything awesome, you shouldn't be disappointed with this.
I would recommend first time Good Charlotters purchase "Young and Hopeless" first as it has a lot more of their well known work and is easier to get into. 4/5

4.0 out of 5 stars A change in direction..., 28 Oct. 2004
Sarah Barker "Sarah B" (Wiltshire) - See all my reviews
Good Charlotte have definately grown up in their few short years that they've been around and this album signals a new beginning for them. The Chronicles of Life and Death is so completely different to their previous two albums you could be forgiven for thinking you might have picked up the wrong album in the shop. For one, it opens with a strange but oddly compelling track sung in Japanese to which music the album also closes on. There are a few references to classic GC ('The Chronicles of Life and Death' and 'Secrets') but for the rest of the album they do a bit of genre hopping. Track 5 'I Just Wanna Live' sounds like they've spent too much time around NERD as they try their hand at a bit of amateur rap whilst also poking fun at their previous hit 'Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous'! My personal favourite track is 'In This World Murder', it's dark but also thought provoking and sounds like they've may have finally found their forte.
All band members try their hand at something different on the tracks and the production of the album. Guitarist Billy has started making his name as a top class artist after recently designing the layout for their last interview with Kerrang! and also the inlay booklet to the album. Joel's voice has matured since 'The Young and the Hopeless' and isn't so monotonous as he stretches his range. Check out 'We Believe' to hear him hit the highest note you've ever heard! This is also the first album that drummer Chris has appeared on and has done an adrirable job.
If you're not sure whether to buy the 'Life' or 'Death' version because of the bonus tracks I would recommend buying the 'Life' version. The extra track you get is more remminiscent of their first album and sounds like they haven't tried too hard and have come out with a cracker! There's also a hidden track after the bonus track on both albums called 'Wounded' which is very depressing but relaxing at the same time because of it's slow tempo acoustic sound.
If you like listening to an album of complete diversity and passion then this is the album for you!

4.0 out of 5 stars A very dark and jaded album, 18 Aug. 2008
The first time that I listened to this album I couldn't quite believe what I was hearing. I remember thinking of this band as one of the best bands in the world, and having my idea completely changed. My favourite album back then was their 2nd album, The young and the hopeless, which I thought was a genius effort and was so catchy and inspiring. It was only over time that I began to understand this album, and it took a while. In my opinion, this album is certainly not for anyone under the age of 15. If you are then you won't want to listen to jaded music. It is definitely a more mature album, but I wouldn't say that in a positive way. This album is very cynical and dramatic and is supposed to be that way. None of the songs from this album are anything like the previous, and I can't understand how any users say that they are. Why the band changed from fun punk with some meaningful lyrics to emo rock, which is all exaggerated I have no idea and I still don't! I don't think any of Good Charlotte's fans know exactly what they are up to. I have never known a band to reinvent themselves and change their style so much as GC do. As Benji has said about this album; it was selfish.
The band may have instrumentally improved, concerning technicality, and the music is diverse, but the result of this is surprisingly made the band's efforts about twice as bad as The young and the hopeless. The percussion on this album is very strange, with the change of drummer being very evident. For me, Chris Wilson was an awful drummer. The sound didn't suit Good Charlotte at all . He eventually tried to sue the band when he left for not paying him enough. On the 2nd album the percussion sounds very live, like real drums and is really nice to listen to. On this album though, most of the drums have been made electronically and this effect gives a strange sound to the songs. I love how AVA and A-ha use computerised percussion in there songs and it gives an awesome effect that can't be achieved any other way, but the sound of GC's is horrible. The guitars for most of the album sound twangy. I have no idea how this effect was achieved but it also surely has something to do with computers.

The sound on Predictable is okay and the rhythm is good but the outro with Joel screaming about the pessimism of his life is quite annoying. SOS is a song I can definitely relate to and has one of the nicest sounds. I just wanna live has a weird sound. Secrets has probably the nicest guitar sound and they are important in this song, unlike on the others. In music terms it is surely one of the best. Drumming also sounds more live and is the most live sounding on the album. If a band has never done a ballad before then they shouldn't attempt it in vain. The result is probably the worst song on the album. It's also kind of creepy with the echo effect. Joel's voice is annoying, especially in the outro, which sounds very uncomfortable and poor.

The world is black is very upbeat, which is ironic because it's the most bitter and most cynical song. It's sung in a fun and almost hopeful way, even if the lyrics don't express that. It reminds me of The Police - So lonely, because of that element. It is definitely one of the best if not the best. Mountain is easily the best song, musically and lyrically, and is about hope, serious feelings and devotion. An emotional song and completely stand out track. We believe has something of a somber tone and is one of the best. It actually speaks to the listeners and has a positive message. It talks of the negativity in this world and how our faith is what keeps us together through the worst times. You definitely have to be religious to fully understand this song. The vocals in the chorus are very high but it suits this song. It's evident that the band had matured into more serious songwriters, taking account of world issues and the video is inspiring too.

It wasn't enough is one of my least favourite songs. Musically and lyrically it's okay but there's something I just don't like about it. In this world (murder) is probably the other most cynical song on the album. It has such a big sound and one of the most dramatic sounds and is pretty good musically. It illustrates murder and evil in this world, but I'm sure most of the listeners can relate even if they don't like to hear of it. It talks of the only justice - heaven, which is another religious issue. It finishes just as it starts; in a dramatic way, and has an element of the beginning of the first song on the album, with a bell sound. It sums up the feeling of the album, and has an uncanny echo effect. Meet my maker has a guitar sound like when I strum at the bottom of my acoustic. The drumming is a bit irritating and especially the rolls at the end of the song, but I think it sounds more live. Finally, Wounded is the well suited hidden track. It is really morbid and creepy and is a strange concept. The chorus is definitely memorable.

When you begin to view the world in a negative way, the world becomes negative around you and you're life becomes influenced negatively. That is why I don't like to listen to this album unless I feel negative, because I want my life to be positive.

1.0 out of 5 stars Only a few good tracks - hated the copy-protection, 22 May 2011
I found a few of the tracks very interesting, the first track 'Once Upon a Time: The Battle of Life and Death' is a stunning soundscape, but is not typical; a lot of the album is quite bland.

The copy protection RIP software seemed to mess-up my PC. I will never buy another disc with this copy protection on it. To be fair to Amazon, they did clearly indicate that it was copy-protected on their website before I bought it.

(It would have been 3-stars, if I had not taken an hour ridding myself of the RIP software.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Charlotte are back, and they�re bigger and better than, 25 Oct. 2004
The band that defined pop-punk with their 2002 album 'The Young and The Hopeless' are back once again, but this time with something a little bit different. 'The Chronicles of Life and Death' opens with a haunting instrumental track which makes you feel like you've just stepped into something dark, and perhaps scary. The first few tracks offer a novelty GC feel, the jaunty guitar riffs and catchy lyrics, but there is still a feeling of slight morbidness as the fourth track, 'S.O.S' begins. It sounds like Dashboard Confessional mixed with HIM, something very different for Good Charlotte, and it works.
The next track 'I Just Wanna Live' mixes hip-hop beats (N.E.R.D style of course, since the Madden twins worked with N.E.R.D frontman Pharrell on the hip-hop groups latest album) and catchy lyrics to create a definite crowd-pleaser. The next few tracks all seem to merge together, into one big mass of swirling guitars and keyboards, dark and light, white and black, and anything you can thing of that contrast. 'Mountain' contributes another emo-style song to the album, while 'The World Is Black' offers a more pop feel, but yet is strangely dark.
This album is great. It's exactly what the band needed, and although it may not be a CD to go down in history, it'll be one in a hopefully long line of interesting and different albums.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Tim Burton-esque, 15 Aug. 2005
By A Customer
The band have obviously matured since their debut album and "The Young And Hopeless."
Also, I feel they have had much inspiration for this album from a rather surprising source. The introductory track:- 1. Once Upon a Time: The Battle of Life and Death -: feels rather like a song that belongs in a Tim Burton movie, most of who's music is created by the enchanting Danny Elfman. Perhaps this is merely coincidental, although I believe this is far from the truth. The video for their single :- 7. Predictable -: had taken it's own Tim Burtonesque film feeling, along with one of the band members having a tattoo of both "Jack" and "Zero" from Tim Burton's "The Nightmare Before Christmas".
Being a huge fan of all things Tim Burton, this album is a definite must have for those people who enjoy the quirky rhythms of Danny Elfman's much loved cinematic music. Please buy this album, you won't regret it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Chronicles of Life and Death [Death Version]
The Chronicles of Life and Death [Death Version] by Good Charlotte (Audio CD - 2004)