5.0 out of 5 stars The Ultimate Collection
Given that only 40% of this boxset consists of actual film (the Animatrix included) I thought it would be rather naive to criticise this boxset because of the second and third films, as some people here seem to have done, thus I have rated this set highly due to the overall quality of each of the DVDs contained in it.
Firstly, I shall tackle the three films (discs 1,...
Published on 31 Jan. 2005 by countolaf2005

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not Ultimate.
While there is a lot of good material here and the sequels certainly improve with repeated viewing this is far from the ultimate collection. The quality of the featurettes is good, but not great. Essentially this is the standard DVD featurette quality, rather soundbitey, but a lot more of it. One gets the impression that there is more interesting video material out there...
Published on 16 Aug. 2005

5.0 out of 5 stars The Ultimate Collection, 31 Jan. 2005
Firstly, I shall tackle the three films (discs 1, 3 and 5). The first Matrix is a masterpiece of filmmaking, enough said. Of course, as has been said, the second and third unfortunately did not live up to the hype surrounding them (although the second is still very good) which would drag down the quality of this boxset a little. They are still very entertaining films, none of which are by any means poor, and are deserving of attention from film lovers across the globe. The movie discs are quite plain when it comes to extras, although each has two commentaries, from the 'Philosophers' and the 'Critics'. I am yet to listen to the Philosophers commentary tracks although I can easily say that the Critics tracks are hugely entertaining and are probably worth the price of the boxset alone... the use of film critics to put down each of the films is such a novel idea; it gives the viewers a new-found respect for the Wachowski brothers and almost makes us forgive them for not recording commentaries of their own.
The Animatrix (disc 7) is an entirely different experience to the three movies. Nine short films in glorious animation help to gain a greater understanding of the Matrix concept and strenghten this boxset further. Each film has a short making-of documentary, some of which are quite insightful.
The 'Revisited' discs (2, 4 and 6) contain very interesting featurettes about the making of the movies. Like the films, the first is by far the best, acting more like a feature-length documentary (which is also very gripping) while the other two contain 'documentary pods' which is a euphamism for 'collection of short, vaguely related featurettes'. Although the second two Revisited discs are not at the standard of the first there are some interesting featurettes including extensive coverage of the Burly Brawl (Reloaded) and the upside-down Hel gunfight (Revolutions).
Discs 8 and 9 delve much further into the entire concept of the Matrix. Through several documentaries we learn about the religious and historical background to the movies and about the teams behind the scenes of each movie. Both of these discs prove very insightful. Disc 10 seems like it was a struggle to make with an explosion of trailers and TV spots although the storyboards for the movies are good - it is fascinating to see how very similar these are to the final movies.
Finally, the boxset in itself is quite attractive. In a holographic green box with no titles, but instead just sporting glittery Matrix code, this box would look great in any DVD collection. It is hard to say who would enjoy this set. Fans of the series should definitely not miss this. The entire set is an enjoyable experience from beginning to end.

5.0 out of 5 stars Something Deeper..., 8 Dec. 2004
In short: This edition is food for thought. If you want a bunch of classic action movies go buy Die Hard, Lethal Weapon and True Lies but if you want to think about a movie like you've never thought about one before this is essential.
The detail: Time for honesty. I didn't like Reloaded. I despised Revolutions. Not for the reason that they were sprawling and overcomplicated but more for the fact that because they were sprawling and overcomplicated they lost so much of the solid audience base they'd built up with the original Matrix.
By the time I'd taken in all three movies, the Animatrix, Enter The Matrix and The Matrix Revisited I felt I'd pretty much got a feel for the series, its spirit and its intentions. Then I saw the roll call of features on this edition and, well, realised I might have some more work to do to get my head around what The Matrix experience was all about.
Finally someone has produced a DVD not with the director telling stories about how lovely it was to work with everybody and how the whole thing was neat-o but with two philosophers discussing the 'Manichean overtones' of the original Matrix. To then couple this with a commentary of movie critics ripping the film to pieces is a brave move and the most public admission that a film might not be everyone's cup of tea a film's director(s) are ever likely to make.
The fact is this is a risky box set. It does not massage its own ego and where the hyperbole threatens to be vomit inducing the Wachowskis have been very careful to deflate their own egos by giving voice to the many people who were unhappy with the conclusion of the trilogy.
As such for an interested party such as myself it has forced a re-evaluation of my previous opinion. Not merely because a bunch of intellectual heavyweights are saying that there is more to the Matrix than meets the eye but because upon listening to their discourse it is possible to see that the Matrix rather than being disjointed and ultimately incoherent is, in fact, an incredibly complex piece of work with a deep message. How successful the Wachowski's were at putting extremely subtle philosophical and spritual arguments into a Keanu Reeves vehicle is another matter. But I find myself now in the position of being unable to write the latter parts of the trilogy off as I previously had.

5.0 out of 5 stars Portuguese Everything... =), 28 May 2012
I bought this item recently, it came from "Little Music Shop" in Italy. At first I confess I didn't realize when I bought this that the seller was Italian =) so the writings on the outer cover are written in Italian (obviously) but that all was forgotten when I checked the Audio and Subtitles from the movies.

It has subtitles in Portuguese in all movies, I think it has audio in Portuguese also =) LOL!! I was afraid to try it =)
What I also find fantastic is that it has HD Audio in English and it has 5.1 Dolby Digital in 3 or 4 other languages also, that is rare to see in bluray I think. Not everybody has full HD systems (like me) but I'm starting to buy bluray movies that I like most and because of lower prices so... for now 5.1 Dolby Digital is fantastic!!

The movie is "The Matrix" and that's about it... not much to say other than IT'S A GREAT MOVIE!!

If you are looking for this with Portuguese subtitles or other, I recommend the seller also! If you contact them before, I did because of a lost package and they answered very quickly. I think they have all interest in confirming the subtitles.

I think French audio and subs, English, Spanish and Italian also included. This pack is done like I think blurays should, with "everything", I mean, all audios and subtitles as they could fit in there =) I'll try to post a photo of it so you can check the full features.

Excellent Pack!! Thinking on buying it? Go for it!

Best Regards, Pedro.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great new realm of science fiction, 30 Mar. 2006
First thing to dicuss, and perhaps the most important part of this collection, the films themselves. I loved them, they are extremly fluid with the action sequences (They actaully show you what happens, rather than do the shaky-cam thing that Hollywood tends to use), the story is clever (It may seem dumb on a few occassions, but like Smith says "Look past the flesh") and there are some great actors, particularly with villains played by Hugo Weaving and Lambert Wilson, but of course there are many others you won't forget about in a hurry. One of the best things to do is to watch the films in rapid succession, it seems to be far more natural that way. Obviously by now you would have noticed that the films have come under serious flack but it is your choice whether to believe it or not (Choice is a major philosophical part of the trilogy).
Now onto the extras for us happy fans, on the first volume (This is what the collection is divided into) is The Matrix and it's twin with the extras corresponding to that film, The Matrix Revisted, where the production is discussed in depth with a feature-length presentation (Roughly two hours). There is also some extra goodies to keep your eyes open for, as there is all around with the extras discs.
Now onto the Matrix Reloaded, the longest and perhaps most action-packed film of the trilogy, and its extras disc called the Matrix Reloaded Revisited. Unlike Matrix Revisted it is divided into featurretes, many on the sequences and show the sets were built, and what ideas were used. There are also commentaries from Special Effects wizard John Gaeta on how major shots were achieved.
Finally is the Matrix Revolutions, building up into what I think is an awesome and justifiable climax. With it is (You've got it) Matrix Revolutions Revisited, like Reloaded Revisited, it is in small featurettes but give a large amount of insight into the production and ideals of the film.
It is here that the movies end, but there is another shot of Matrix entertainment in the form of the Animatrix (The main films are the first ever successful attempt at live anime). There are several stories under the helm of the Matrix creators Larry and Andy Wachowski, but the rest are independent short stories, leaving room for much creativity. The stories are fun and entertaining (Some would say better than the films themselves!) and again there are extras in the form of a feature length film discussing the influences and production of the series.
The next disc on the list ties into a major aspect of the series, the philosophical side. It is divided into a science part (Can a Matrix really exist?) and the rest of the philosophy, including religious influences and how they are portrayed (There are many to spot in these shows). This can be quite confusing and dull at times, but also insightful and interesting.
The next disc, called the Burlyman Chronicles, is the equivalent to the Matrix Revisited, dealing in MASSIVE detail the production of The Matrix Reloaded and Revolutions. Great for behind the scenes enthuisits.
The final extras disc is a little more simple, bundling in all the concept art, trailers, etc into one neat package. It's great to find ideas that were eventually abandoned, such as the prospect of Matrix code fireball throwing duels!
On the whole, a great purchase. You will enjoy this product if you like or love the movies (Which makes sense really), just as I did. With a total of 35 hours of extras, it will be a long time before you fully exhaust this product, so make do, follow the white rabbit and make your choice, or is it all an illusion? Dip into a new realm of Science fiction.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Ultimate Matrix, 2 July 2007
Andrew Tyler (munich germany) - See all my reviews
THE MATRIX HAS GONE BALLISTIC

THIS UMTIMATE MATRIX COLLECTION HD-DVD is Magnificent and Enhance's the Message. Seriously The MATRIX HD is a must for all lovers of this trilogy .The HD transfer is immaculate (The picture is so sharp it will laser your retinas) and the sound in dolby true HD mind blowing.The SFX are more amazing than ever . They just look so real! Unbelieveable after 8 years one must say respect they measure up to the best of today.This is a visualy EYE POPING experience and under the over 70 HD DISC'S that I own this ranks high up in my top ten Congratulations to Warner Brs .and after you have watched these film's two or three times just switch on the in movie experience and watch them again.The set consists of three HD-DVD Combo discs,The main film in 1080p side A with the in-movie experience and a few extras,and side B is a dvd with special features.Plus a two disc doublesided set the Matrix Experience data bank 35 hours of bonus material ,including the Animatrix.Yes this a five double sided disc set. My only critic on Warner is I do not like Hybrid disc's .The good news is against the usual policy of code 1 for the dvd side this is all code free thank goodness

4.0 out of 5 stars Much better than I thought it was at its theatrical release, 20 Nov. 2007
This is an excellent box set. I find myself disagreeing with some of the other reviews here, in my opinion it's marginally better than the alien quadrilogy box (which happens to be the only other 'box set' I own)

Oddly enough I wasn't hugely impressed with the original movies when I saw them in the theatre, not even the first. I remember thinking "yeah yeah, brain in a vat, an idea that sounded interesting when I was 12". Not only did it seem rather banal philosophy but plot-wise its only one step up from the 'then he woke up and it was all a dream' ending that we were told never to use in creative writing assignments school".
Plus its also been done before by various dead philosophers and Dr Who!

But some vague memories of some neat special effects combined with the sheer value of these sort of box sets (even if its not very good, there's so much of it!) persuaded me to buy this one.

And I'm glad I did. The first film is in fact _much_ better than I remember (I must have been too busy being an intellectual snob to pay proper attention) and even the much-maligned sequels are improved by being watched back to back. The ridiculous damp-squib ending of 'Reloaded' and corresponding low-key opening of revolutions aren't really an issue when viewed together and when viewed on DVD its easier to follow the plot, despite some flaws in the story-telling.

The strongest aspect of the first movie is probably, as the critics' commentary points out, the beautiful way the shots are composed (here in full anamorphic super-widescreen and in a new and greatly improved transfer, so I'm told). Even though the special effects have become almost commonplace over time (notably being heavily used in advertising) the sheer style with which they are deployed here means they are still exciting to watch even if the tricks themselves are no longer so startling.

But the real strength of this box set is the wealth of additional material included (which is what this review seems to have ended up being about - after all, anyone buying this will have already seen the films themselves).

Possibly I'm just a fan of the DVD 'commentary' in general - I often find even poor movies become more interesting after listening to the commentary track - but the two commentary tracks contained herein are excellent, and surely unique amongst DVD releases.

The 'critics' commentary is interesting, and, particularly for the first film (the only one they like!) points out aspects of the movie that I missed on viewing at the cinema. Even when they spend pretty much the whole of the sequels slating everything they see its quite entertaining. Having a commentary track performed by people who don't like the movies they are commenting on is surely a first?

Further enterainment is provided by the 'philosophers commentary', with Cornel West and Ken Wilbur.

I admit I am not sure quite how seriously to take their 'reading' of the movies - Mr Wilbur seems to be one of those audo-didact grand philosophical system builders 'operating outside the academy'. A New Age Ayn Rand, perhaps, though I'm sure neither would like the comparison. Personally what I've seen of his work doesn't convince me, but nevertheless his take on the films is an intriguing one.

Anyway, not only is the 'philosophers' track interesting in its own right, it contrasts nicely with the critics' take. Whereas the critics concentrate on what they see as the flaws of the second two movies in terms of movie story-telling, the 'philosophers' focus entirely on the 'ideas' of the films. Its interesting to see how both perspectives miss certain things.

I have to say for the most part I agree with the critics with regard to the latter two films. Namely, the second lacks narrative drive, the world of Zion unfortunately resembles a 'Star Trek' movie, that world is too different from our own for the viewer to be able to fully identify with the characters, the big battle scene at the end of revolutions is overlong, there's a near disastrous absence of properly developed characters, and, as a critic at one point says, the dialogue is so unnatural it could be from an opera (though for the most part the actors make it work).

One irritation is that they (the critics) show an annoying refusal to do anything as geeky as actually attempt to follow the plot.

Despite the foregoing list of faults, and even if one takes the 'philosophers' commentary' with a hefty pinch of salt, it is clear that the critics do miss a number of elements that make certain decisions in the later films far more explicable (for example, the second film isn't as meandering in terms of plot development as it appears, and the trainman's station is not called Mobil Ave for reasons of 'product placement'!).

Its noticeable though that both sets of commentators, even the positively disposed philosophers, do what I did when watching at the cinema and completely miss the scene involving the Bane character and Agent Smith. It seems to me that the failure to establish Bane as a recognisable character before that point, so people would realise who the heck he was when he becomes crucial to the plot, is typical of the way the Brothers seem to be so keen to get their ideas across that they occasionally forget about proper narrative and certainly about character development. There is depth here though, probably not as much as Dr West and Mr Wilbur read into it, but certainly much much more than the single 'brain in a vat' idea that I thought was the sum of it on first viewing.

The box set also includes the 9 short Animatrix films, well worth watching, both for filling in details in the Matrix world and as beautiful pieces of Anime (in wildly varying styles) in their own right, as well as commentaries and documentaries about them and even a potted history of Anime in general.

There is also a wealth of geeky documenatry material about the world of the Matrix and some less geeky (and somewhat shallow but still interesting) documentaries about the philosophy and science behind the films. In addition each movie has the usual second dvd of (quite lengthy) supporting documentaries about all the technical aspects of making the films. The Matrix Reloaded extras disk includes the extra scenes shot for the Matrix computer game. Which is nice as the game itself wasn't much cop but the scenes fill in a couple of gaps in the movies (it seems movie tie-in games are never much good, unless they come out 20 years after the movies they are based on).

A few quibbles - given the emphasis on the the notion of a 'trinity' in the movies (mind/body/spirit, and matrix/zion/machines according to Mr Wilbur, not to mention the character name and the fact it's a trilogy), surely they missed a trick in not having a third commentary track? Given the Wachowskis' desire to maintain a Pynchon-type elusiveness they were never going to do one themselves, but a cast and crew one (present on the original Matrix DVD?), concentrating on the technical aspects of the movie might have been a nice addition and been consistent with the 'trinity' motif.

Secondly I'm surprised Dr West, being something of a leftist, didn't have anything to say about the decidedly Nietzschean aspects of the movies - the awakened 'supermen' slaughtering the still sleeping sheep of the matrix (all those hapless security guards and cops, not to mention the innocent power station employees!) without a single moral qualm.

(Its a topic that relates to the general lack of believably human characters in the film - don't any of the 'awakened' have any residual ties to people still in the Matrix? Would that not present some painfull emotional dilemmas for any real human being? Heck, maybe that angle would have been at least as interesting as the grand quasi-mystical ideas the Brothers seem so taken with?.)

Also Dr West's emphasis on the racial 'inclusiveness' of the movies (and he makes a plausible case for that being an important part of the theme of the films) seems to rather miss the fact that almost everyone is young and attractive (apart from a few of the 'councillors')- are there no old or ugly people in the future? Wouldn't people's representations in the Matrix be more of an idealised version of their real world self? Instead everyone in the 'real world' of Zion is as buff and pretty as they are in the Matrix.

Finally, in addition to the existing drinking game of downing a drink whenever Keanu Reeves says some variant of "I don't know" in the movie, one can now add a new one based on whenever Mr Wilbur uses the word 'exquisite' on the commentary track.

Oh, and the packaging is very nice also, though there's the usual awkward irony about fetishising a beautiful consumer object that is at least in part, if the commentary is to be believed, intended to be a critique of materialism and consumerism.

In short the movies, though not without faults have way more depth than the average Hollywood FX-fest and the sheer wealth of additional material makes this a worthwhile buy for anyone who at least _quite liked_ the films.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ultimate Reality, 6 Dec. 2012
The Matrix was given a brand new digital transfer in order to give it an appearance far closer to the look of the sequels than the original release. The contrast was improved, film grain was reduced, brightness was elevated in many scenes, and some CG shots revealed more detail. Also, colors were much more vibrant than the original DVD release. The most noticeable change was in the color timing, especially within the Matrix.
In addition, both The Matrix Reloaded and The Matrix Revolutions have received new transfers as well. The images are slightly cleaner and crisper than the original releases, with improved color and detail.

The standard definition collection consists of the following:
Disc 1 - The Matrix
Disc 10 - The Zion Archive

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must for any Matrix Fan!, 1 Jun. 2006
J. A. Taylor - See all my reviews
The Beginning

I watched the Matrix Ultimate Collection as soon as I received it and I was amazed at the quality of the Movies both through its action and its philosophy and psychology. The first Matrix movie had a massive impact on me as I have never seen such a masterful film before. It follows the Story of a man named Thomas Anderson, Aka. Neo as he discovers the truth about his world and is taken to the real world. A disappointment about this movie is that there is very little of the Movie that actually takes part in the real world but more in the virtual world of the matrix. when I saw the scene of the Human Power Plant and the way Morpheus describes that the machines turn Humans into batteries it make you think what might happen in the future. Along with the movie comes a DVD called the Matrix Revisited that is a behind the scenes look at the Matrix and a series of featurettes about things that may not have come up during the main part of the DVD.

The Epic Sequel!

This One I was annoyed with as it was a Stupid Two Part Movie which hardly connected from the first and raised a lot of questions. The first question I wandered was where was Tank in this Movie, whether he died in the Movie or not was Unanswered. Another question was who was that kid that Neo saved, I had to watch the Animatrix (Disc 7) before I fully Understood that question. The film itself may contain more action with such epic fight sequences as the Burly Brawl and the Freeway Car Chase. Again this movie was accompanied by a DVD called the Matrix Reloaded Revisited. A disappointment about that was that it focused rather on specific areas of the film with featurettes instead of the Whole Film which you would have to watch the Burly Man Chronicles (Disc 9) to view.

The Last Film in the Trilogy

Ok, Better than the Second I admit but the First was Better. In this Movie it Carries on from where we left of aboard the ship. Neo is Trapped in the Train Station and Can't get out till like Half way through the Movie. While Neo sat Helplessly, Trinity, Morpheus and Serif Kicked French Butt at the Hel Nightclub and eventually saved Neo. Then the Siege on Zion Begins!. This took up a lot of the Film and was shared with Neo and Agent Smiths Fight (The Super Burly Brawl). The Conclusion I thought was rather Plain considering that they had just Won a God-Knows-How-Long-War, but that's for you to decide. Ok, The Matrix Revolutions Revisited was almost the same as the Matrix Reloaded Revisited except Different Featurettes and a Less Behind the Scenes Look.

But wait there's MORE!

The Animatrix

I'm not really a fan of anime but I am of the Matrix so I decided to watch this anyway. Anyway I enjoyed The Final Flight of Osiris as it helps to connect the First and Second Matrix Movies, The same with Kid's Story. The Second Renaissance Pts 1 & 2 were Mind-blowingly Brilliant as it sets the Story before the Matrix and what Humans did to wreak this World and make themselves slaves. The other Movies were not really related to the Movies but more rather focus on the Psychology around it. These include Beyond!, A Detective's Story, World Record, Program and Matriculated.

The Roots of the Matrix

A Deep Look into the Matrix's psychology and science. It simply explains every aspect a philosopher could possibly get. It also features a look at Enter the Matrix Video Game.

The Burly Man Chronicles

This DVD was the Behind the Scenes look you would want from the Second and Third Movies. I'm sorry I can't explain this better but apart from some Featurettes and a Long Documentary there is nothing else.

The Zion Archive

The Last Disc in the Set Provides us with Concept Art, Trailers, Tv Spots, A Look at the Matrix Online Video Game and More!!!

The Concept Art shows Original Drawings for all of the Characters Featured, The Machines, The Sets and anything else they needed to draw to make the Movies.

A Conclusion

Overall a Decent Box Set and well worth the Money. If you have not Seen the Matrix Before though I would find out what it is like first either by Buying and Watching the First Matrix Movie or Asking a Friend.

Mark Sceme:

Philosophy/Psychology - 9/10

Overall Rating - 9/10

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 5 Dec. 2005
AmazonToday "AmazonToday" (Stockton on Tees, England, UK) - See all my reviews
Many thanks to Amazon for still being able to supply this wonderful Limited Edition 10 DVD set with Figurine and Collector's Book.
For any Matrix fan it is the ultimate gift containing 10 DVDs with over 35 hours of bonus material. An absolutely breathtaking set complete with complimentary collectable booklet and painted bust.
Best of all is the presentation. The collection is housed in its own, absolutely stunning, Perspex display case. On looks alone the standard collection fades into insignificance.
If you love the Matrix then this comes highly recommended and I am sure it will be highly collectable.

4.0 out of 5 stars Simply everything Matrix, 6 Sept. 2005
C. Rice (London, UK) - See all my reviews
If you like extras on DVDs or always thing that there are never enough then this boxset is for you. Only 4 discs contains the films and the rest are packed full with extras. A quick note about the design of the box set - it's great and is a wonderful set to have on your shelf to show off your love of the Matrix. I also consider it a bargain price - where else do you get 10 DVDs for under £30? And this is the Matrix!!!
The films discs hardley need reviewing - everyone knows how amazing The Matrix is, and the Matrix Reloaded is almost as good I believe. The Matrix Revolutoins has some major faults that many other have discussed, which was partly resposible for the loss of a star rating. All the films have some commentary options which I enjoyed listening to once. The Animatrix mini films are excellent and any Matrix fan who hasn't seen them should do so right away.
Now to the other 6 discs. There are documentaries about the making of the films. I found these varied a bit in quality but overall were good and very interesting. There are also 2 interesting discs which cover aspects behind the Matrix including religion and philosophy.
So my only complaint really is that the documentaries are occassioanlly a bit simple and could have delved a bit deeper. Oh, and the disappointment of the 3rd film. But a very worthwhile purchase if you think you're interested in the stuff discussed here - you'll spend hours watching it and I expect you'll be very satisfied.