5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and cheerful
Published on 28 April 2011 by Infrequent Reviewer

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing.
Bought these as an affordable alternative to the standard ipod phones. They appeared to have roughly the same sound quality as the ipod ones, possibly slightly improved bass; but to me it's a major bonus not to have the white ipod cable that simultaneously makes you a walking advertisement for Apple, and screams "Please mug me, I am stupid."

However, after...
Published on 18 Jan 2007 by M. D. Bois

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing., 18 Jan 2007
This review is from: Sennheiser MX 550 Stereo Earphones (Electronics)

However, after under two months of light use, the left (or right, I forget) phone started cutting out, and that was the end of that. I realise that I shouldn't expect the world from a £15 pair of headphones, but I was hoping they'd last longer than that. I had a £5 pair of Phillips once that lasted for two years, so who can tell?

Anyway, my question now is do I buy a more expensive pair in the hope that they'll last longer, or just assume that all headphones are inherently flimsy and unpredictable; and stay with the cheap ones?

By the way, the "anti-kink" feature? A joke. These are the kinkiest, twistiest headphones I've had, which no doubt would explain why the connection popped after six weeks.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not sturdy enough, 27 Mar 2007
T. C. Davies (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sennheiser MX 550 Stereo Earphones (Electronics)
I'd disagree with some of the other reviewers, as I thought that the MX550s provided really good sound quality considering the price, and I also found that they were very comfortable to wear for long periods compared to other headphones I've had.

However, I thoroughly agree that these headphones are not anywhere near sturdy enough as I've just had to throw away my second pair within 6 months. After the first pair stopped working after 3 months I thought I'd give them another chance, as my backup headphones seemed to give rubbish sound quality in comparison, but now that a second pair have died after another 3 months I've decided I can't be bothered replacing them this reguarly.

I'm now going to try something entirely different, but it's a real shame as while they last they're very good.

2.0 out of 5 stars Too fragile for ipod/MP3 use on the move, 18 Jan 2007
P. MCADAM "Jazz Fool" (London UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sennheiser MX 550 Stereo Earphones (Electronics)
Bought a pair to replace 'phones that came with my Creative Zen when I accidentally snapped the cord. The sound quality on the MX550s was definitely superior but they are let down badly by low durability. My first pair failed after only a few weeks. Sennheiser, to their credit, replaced them without quibble. The replacement pair lasted a few months. The in-lead volume control failed fairly quickly on both pairs, followed shortly thereafter by loss of one channel and a sudden deterioration in overall sound quality. They are simply not robust enough to use for music on the move. I paid over £20 for my set, so the price has come down a lot. Even so, you would probably go through 3 pairs or more a year. Come on Sennheiser, toughen up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and cheerful, 28 April 2011
This review is from: Sennheiser MX 550 Stereo Earphones (Electronics)
For the cost, these earphones do a great job and i find them more comfortable and probably better quality than those provided with the iphone/ipod. Great to have an inline volume control too. I use them mostly for listening to when relaxing last thing at night so cannot vouch for heavy duty use. But for the price, they do the job well. If you want better sound quality and/or a more robust product, then shell out so more money.

5.0 out of 5 stars always been a fan of Sennheiser, 22 Oct 2013
This review is from: Sennheiser MX 550 Stereo Earphones (Electronics)
As above, & these don't disappoint. Nice to see these do NOT have the usual 'non slip' type sheathing which seems to snag everthing in sight...

5.0 out of 5 stars the best headphones ever, 28 Jan 2013
This review is from: Sennheiser MX 550 Stereo Earphones (Electronics)
Bought these as a xmas gift for my son who is a real music lover he thinks there are great

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok sound but average design, 21 April 2012
This review is from: Sennheiser MX 550 Stereo Earphones (Electronics)
I was just looking for a new set of earphones for my iPod from a good brand that were comfortable and sounded good...... well I got 2 out of 3. The design of this product means that like others I lost the soft covers within 5 days which was poor. Using them without these is not great as the plastic is hard and not comfortable in the ear. I also don't see any use for the storage unit ..... just a hassle and gets in the way.

Saying that the sound is fine from them but I would not rush to buy them again.

1.0 out of 5 stars one ear cuts out, 11 Jun 2008
Ms. N. L. Dixon "film critc" (yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sennheiser MX 550 Stereo Earphones (Electronics)
I am a runner and need the high volume but must be on to my 7th pair, this pair must be only 2 months old. The left ear cuts out. Only buy if you need the volume control!

2.0 out of 5 stars No replacement of iPod headphones, 24 Oct 2006
Gaz (Brighton) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sennheiser MX 550 Stereo Earphones (Electronics)
I have bought Sennheisers in the past and found them to be really good. So I picked these up thinking that, despite their cheapness, they might be slightly better than the ones that came with my iPod. I was wrong - they sound significantly worse. So if you're looking to upgrade your iPod headphones, steer clear of these.

1.0 out of 5 stars Uninvolving sound, 24 Nov 2008
This review is from: Sennheiser MX 550 Stereo Earphones (Electronics)
Using thse with an iPod classic. The sound is pretty terrible - very closed - perhaps muffled would be a good word. Not recommended.

Sennheiser MX 550 Stereo Earphones