on 4 September 2005
Words cannot express how much I truly love this anime series! This was one of the first anime series that I saw, way back in 1997 when it first aired here in the UK.
This series has a bit of everything in it: politics, romance, humour, action, drama...Not to mention that this series has two of my favourite anime characters of all time in it (Folken and Dilandau).
The story follows the path of a young 15-year-old girl, Hitomi, who has the psychic abilities to predict the future (via visions or her tarot cards) and to 'see the unseen'. Hitomi is transported to a world called Gaea where she meets a range of characters, there is Van-who at first appears to be arrogant and headstrong, but later proves to be a protective and loyal friend, Allen 'the gallant swordsman' with a weakness for women and a tendency to flirt (and in my opinion is a little patronizing), the over-affectionate and on occasion, annoying Merle....the list goes on.
However, it isn't all fun-and-games during Hitomi's time on Gaea. A war is raging against Zaibach and their leader, Emperor Dornkirk who threatens to gain the secret of Atlantis and the domination of Gaea.
As the war rages on, Hitomi must help her new-found friends fight in the battle for Gaea's future, by the use of her psychic abilities.
Also, as the plot thickens, it appears that everyone of the characters have some inner-demons to fight with...including Hitomi.
Will Hitomi be able to protect her friends? Will Gaea be saved from the tyranny of the Zaibach empire? Will she ever return to her world? Watch the anime and
see...
With an incredible musical score, an interesting storyline and unique characters, I'd recommend this to anyone, whether they were new to the world of anime or not.
on 13 January 2010
Series 5 out of 5
DVDs 1 out of 5 (and that's because I can't give 0/5, well they are DVDs)

This series is fantastic and a must have for any anime fan. It's beautifully animated and incredible well written.

Unfortunately this collection isn't what it should be and that's because of the technical faults on the DVDs.

The faults:
1> Disk 4 of "Escaflowne - Collection 1" and, at least, disks 1 and 2 of "Escaflowne - Collection 2" have no viewable menu. A black screen appears and you have to navigate the menu by remembering the layout from other disks.

AND

2> the same disks have English subtitles on the English dubbed material.
When I cycled through the subtitles, using the subtitle button on my remote, I was given three options... "1.English" "2.Other" and "3.None". The only problem is, to remove the subtitles, you have to choose "2.Other" instead of "3.None".
This is a small problem but a fault none the less.
on 6 December 2005
I remember a few years back, I used to sneak downstairs and watch this show on Fox Kids. I'd dutifully come down every night, without fail. Imagine my joy when I found this on Amazon. I gratefully bought the collection box, and waited like a hound for it to arrive, and snapped it up as soon as it arrived and slapped it in my player. At first, it seemed good. Nice, crisp menus. Then, the actual show. My horror. The quality was terrible, like a bad fansub. I kept watching though, believing that the anime would redeem the horrible DVD. I got to the fourth DVD. The menu didn't come up. I blindy pressed OK and got english subs on the dub. I tried to stumble through the menu blindly, but I couldn't change anything. An absolute waste of money, you'd be better off buying bootlegs off eBay. I might seem like I'm really putting it down, but I'm not. And I haven't even mentioned the sound quality.
An extremely expensive waste of money. Terrible quality DVD, it only gets 2 stars because of the actual anime.
on 26 October 2008
Up there with 'Evangelion', this is an intelligent, well written, beautiful looking series. Whilst the series obviously looks 'of its time' it stills looks amazing. Box set is expensive though so region 1 may be the way to go.
on 15 June 2006
I was 10 years old when i first saw this come on tv (fox kids), and i was thrilled it was compelling, with a story line that made me hunger for more fotage. But i was young and was not alowwed to watch it for very long (10 mins if very luck).

well the series ended and i didnt know what happend i was sad but left it at that, then 3 years later i was in virgin looking 4 dvds when i stumble apon 2 dusty copies of teh first volumes in the series. i instantly bought them thinking it would be a blast into the past but not as interesting. the moment i placed it in the dvd player my jaw dropped down. at my new age i could fully aprichate the design and wonder of this series, i watched those 2 dvds (10epesodies) i think in that week somthing like 60times. the series gripped me so.
now that i was older i was a whole lot richer rofl! so i went on amazon and typed in escaflowne and i nearly had a heart attck when i saw it was all here. I was a bit Mad though that the movie is a region 1. any way i bought every last copy on amazon i could get my hands on. about 1 month ago that was me who bought all the escaflowne stock for my self ehheheheh. I belive this is an uterly amzing series and ur life will be dul without. I am still looking 4 a copy of the uk movie escaflowne lol so amazon try get 1 for me also ur gundam wing stock will soon be gone. but this series is uterly asonishing a must watch.