Format: Audio CD|Change

on 18 October 2004
Clare teal has been described as a modern-day Ella Fitzgerald and judging by her first Album from Sony this description is not far from the truth.
Don't talk features some of Clare's own songs intermixed with some old standards and some more modern works from other composers. It has an excellent 'big band' version of Clare's Messin With Fire (a track that appeared on three of her earlier albums) - and she really does sound like Ella on this version. There's also a big band version of the Etta James classic I Just Want To Make Love To You which works really well. There are some slower sentimental tracks - What are You Doing The Rest Of Your Life, Mood Indigo and the title track, Don't Talk, are the pick of the bunch. Stoned Soul Picnic is Clare's tribute to Laura Nyro and it works well. Close your eyes, sit back and listen to The Music Goes Round And Round and you are transported back to the era of the Andrews' Sisters.
If you are already a fan of Clare then this CD is definitely for you. If not, but are into smooth jazz or big bands, then this is a great intro to Clare Teal's work - it has everything. If for no other reason, it's worth buying for Clare's own composition You Bring Out The Best In Me - just brilliant.
on 30 June 2005
I got this album because I had The Road Less Travelled, and it did not dissappoint. I was singing along to Messin' With Fire within seconds and I love Clare's version of In A Mellow Tone. The band are great, and all solo sections are exciting to listen to, especially Peter Long on the saxophone. Mood Indigo is a really emotional song, and Clare does it well, as with Falling For You, which she wrote herself.
I would reccomend this album to anyone who loves jazz or anyone who bought and of her other albums.
on 18 October 2004
Clare Teal has paid her dues and honed her voice working the jazz clubs and festivals up and down the country for the last 4 years. On this, her fifth album ( and the first for a big label) all that hard work has paid off.
"Don't Talk" is an assured, confident album with not one mediocre track on it. Including material ranging from Willie Dixon, through Cole Porter, to three brand new original numbers penned with her writing partner Amanda Field, every track is a demonstration of Clare's rich voice. She still has the sexiest voice in jazz!
From the big band swing of "Messin' with Fire" to the haunting rendition of Cole Porter's "So in Love" Clare can't do any wrong for me.
She widens her range beyond the mainstream jazz classics to cover two very different Sixties numbers; Laura Nyro's funky "Stoned Soul Picnic" and the Beach Boys delicate harmonies on"Don't Talk (put your head on my shoulder)".
Signing to Sony Jazz seems to have given Clare the time and money to use big band and orchestral arrangements to excellent effect on "I Just Wanna Make Love to You" "The Music Goes Round and Round", "In a Mellow Tone" and "What are You Doing the Rest of Your Life".
For me, the best tracks are those where the dominant instrument is Clare Teal's fantastic voice; "So In Love", "Falling for You" and "You Bring Out the Best in me" - augmented by Mike Outram's beautiful guitar playing.
Clare Teal sounds as if she sings with a big smile on her face, listen to the samba "Everything is You" and you'll know what I mean.
Brighten up your autumn; put a smile on your face and listen to "Don't Talk".
on 24 October 2004
However much I hear this album I still love it! It's fantastic there are no other words to describe it. If you want to chill out or have a little dance, Hoover, have a bath whatever you're doing you must listen to this album. Clare's voice slips and slides over the notes with ease and pizzazz and makes every song come alive, she creates a mood for each song and makes this album a beautiful concoction for the ears!!!
on 24 March 2005
Clare Teal must rank as one of Yorkshire's best kept secrets; despite the signature to a major label and the issue of this highly commercial and polished, but excellent, album, she has not garnered quite the same level of attention or sales as the peers with which she is compared, the likes of Buble or Cullum, Melua or Jones.
She's much better than all of them.
She has a lovely voice, smooth, golden, a full range, and has Peggy Lee's knack of phrasing that is individual without being eccentric, so that she makes even the much-covered songs her own. Her material, both standards and originals, covers a tremendous range, from big band numbers to diva ballads, through soulful blues and quiet love songs, to smokey Ellington jazz and 40s/50s harmony group and samba numbers. She is eminently comfortable with all these styles, and full marks must go to her backing band and arrangers (she arranges her own vocals) who have got everything just about spot on; it is very smooth and polished, but it is dynamic when it needs to be, so that the music does feel alive. And all of the instrumentation is real.
Four of the songs were written solely or jointly by her; they fit in perfectly with all the covers, and are just as tuneful and varied, which is no mean feat.
This is a highly accomplished and enjoyable album. It's easy listening at its best, classy, dynamic, tuneful. It also gets better with repeated listening, and I've just bumped up my reating to the full monty. It's not a jazz album, though, and I suspect that its listing in that category (both here and in the shops) might have put some people off, as might the slightly scary sleeve photo (which is nothing compared to her earlier albums!). Only jazz purists will be disappointed with this, but to the vast majority of people I commend it.
I was a fan of Clare's music before 2005, when this album came along. I would have bought and reviewed it at the time if it weren't for the precarious state of my finances at the time. As it was, I didn't buy it until many years later, by which time there was no particular reason to bother, except that the reason I started reviewing is still my main reason for continuing - to tell people about the music I love. My only surprise is that there is only one other (brief) review on Amazon.com at the time of writing, so Clare's talents have so far made little impact in America, or so it would seem. Back in 2005, this album sold more copies (despite my inability to buy it then) than any other jazz album had ever done, and probably still holds that distinction.

Though rooted in jazz, the album is not constrained by it. Clare had already shown her diverse tastes by including a jazz version of a sixties pop song (California dreaming) on her earlier album Orsino's Songs. Here, she features a jazz version of track from Pet Sounds (Beach Boys) as the title track.

Other track feature jazz versions of I just want to make love to you (Willie Dixon), What are you doing the rest of your life (the A Bergman / M Bergman / M Legrand classic), So in love (Cole Porter), two Duke Ellington songs (Mood indigo, In a mellow mood) and The music goes round and round (originally recorded by Tommy Dorsey).

Clare wrote one song here (Falling for you) and co-wrote three others(Messin' with fire, You bring out the best in me, Everything is you) and lyrics for these four songs (but not the others) can be found in the booklet.

This is a fantastic album that clearly sold to a lot of British customers who don't normally buy jazz. I hope Clare won some of them over to the world of jazz.
on 18 October 2004
Clare's voice is so rich and warm which is a real pleasure to listen to. She's doing a fabulous job bringing jazz to mainstream audiences.
on 26 March 2014
I am a massive fan of Clare Teal, as I have other CD's but felt this was a disappointment. She sings so lovely in the lower ranges, in the songs Messin with Fire, When in Rome, In a Mellow Tone and So in Love. However she has switched to going up the vocal range and doing numbers that are Bluesy higher pitched vocal ballads. Sadly losing the quality in her voice that is her trademark. This CD was not for me, there was just too much of this style on the CD to be enjoyable, and felt it started to sound like a karaoke, rather than the supreme quality of Clare Teal we usually receive.
on 12 November 2005
These are the words of one reviewer from across the pond - on the basis of the wonderful reviews that have been posted thus far, I recently added this superb album to my CD library...and with only one listen, I can see what people like Michael Parkinson were raving about. Please, DO NOT compare Clare Teal with other singers of her day (Jane Monheit, Diana Krall, Jamie Cullum, Norah Jones, Michael Buble, and so on) as she is in her own league.
The entire album (from the Peggy Lee-ish "Messin' with Fire" to the bluesy "I Just Want to Make Love to You") is amazing - not a clunker in the bunch. Clare is equally at home with standards, rock-era classics like the title track, and her own material (loved "Everything is You"), and I find it very tough to pick a favorite song, though her treatment of "Stoned Soul Picnic" blew me away.
Just like Jamie Cullum did, here's hoping that the magnificient Clare Teal makes lots of noise worldwide, including in America. This big-league label debut is a great starting point!
on 26 May 2013
I just loved it. I've got most of Clare's CDs and love them all. I hear she's now just produced a new one, so I need to get onto either her or your site and get it ordered!!!