4.0 out of 5 stars William Shatner's Has Been, 2 Jun 2005
C. V. Henry - See all my reviews
This review is from: Has Been (Audio CD)
I work in a Library and this CD came up as part of an exchange between library's in the pop section. Those of us who heard it all have differing taste etc, but we just loved this album. Your' gonna die is hilarious and I thank Mr Shatner for bringing such joy to what can sometimes be a world too full of its own self-importance.

4.0 out of 5 stars Shatner returns after a short 36 year absence, 7 Oct 2004
Stoofer "QA Manager" (Oxfordshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Has Been (Audio CD)
Anyone aware of Shatner will instantly think of MR TAMBORINE MAAAAAN! or Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds, which either arouse hoots of laughter, or immediate hatred from those with no humour.
"Has Been" opens with a cover of Pulp's Common People... while you may think that he's continuing in the same vein as Transformed Man, this is not the case and you cant help but take the album seriously once you're half way into it. Sure there are still smiles to be had, but they're of a different kind.
Produced by Ben Folds (of Ben Folds Five fame) and featuring Adrian Belew, Joe Jackson, Lemon Jelly, Aimee Mann, Brad Paisley and Henry Rollins (amongst others) the musical composition actually oozes class. In Transformed Man, Shatners monologues were back by Star-Trekkish music - this is not the case with 'Has Been' and Shatner can be heard to actually sing correctly with choral or orchestral backgrounds.
Opening with a strong cover of 'Common People' that will have the listener smiling, the album follows with "It Hasn't Happened Yet" which sets the tone for what the album really is - it's about where Shatner is at the moment, and is a fairly personal album.
You'll have time is a strong track 3 designed to provoke thought, will at the least leave you smiling when constantly told that "you're gonna die." Other memorable tracks are the title track "Has Been" which is a stab at armchair critics "I can't Get Behind That" for one of the best last lines of a song ever.
If you liked Transformed Man in any way, this album is far better in every way. You wont be laughing at Shatner shouting familiar lines as if threatening the Klingons as Kirk, but you will come away appreciating the man more. You may not play the album much, but it's worthy of being in a collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, 27 Sep 2005
Jason Mills "jason10801" (Accrington, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Has Been (Audio CD)
This album is funny when it wants to be, serious when it wants to be, brilliant throughout. It's impossible to ridicule Shatner because he does it so well himself; he's got there first.
Ben Folds has created a superb musical environment for these songs(?), whilst Shatner's lyrics are often subtle and always honest. Did you ever see "Dumb & Dumber"? It's like that - it shouldn't work, but it does!
With input from Joe Jackson and Brad Paisley, among others, the album's only problem is that it's so good that it always draws your full attention. You have been warned!

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic!, 11 Jan 2007
This review is from: Has Been (Audio CD)
My boyfriend introduced me to this album I thought he was mad. I only liked the first song (common people) and just skiped over the rest, that was till recently. I would tell everyone to listen to this album. It's funny, but also serious. He talks his way through the song, apart from one where he sings so terrible he makes the song sound good. The music sounds cheesy, but don't let that put you off. Listen to the words he says he talks about things that have happened in his life and that I thought was really nice. It gives you an insight in to Shatner and the way he thinks. He talks about his daughter he lost touch with, his wife he found dead and how different he is from the characters he plays on screen. I loved this album everyone should have a copy!

5.0 out of 5 stars You be surprised, 26 Nov 2004
J. R. Gallagher (LONDON United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Has Been (Audio CD)
I bought this as a present for my cousin, after listening to the awesome "I can't get behind that" expecting it to be a bit of a novelty and little more.
I was wrong. This is a collection of 10 great songs and one spoken word track (he is an actor after all) That gets repeated listening time and time again in our house.
I hope the partnership of Shatner and Folds will continue to produce music of this remarkable quality. I will certainly buy the next one!

4.0 out of 5 stars I'm Shocked..., 4 Jan 2006
By A Customer
This review is from: Has Been (Audio CD)
Bought this over Christmas as kind of a joke present for myself, but discovered that it is actually really, really good. Particular stand out tracks are Has Been, I Can't get behind that, and You'll have time. As another reviewer has said, Common people is one of the weaker tracks but I think that is more because I grew up on the original as opposed to it being bad. Buy this Album!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 10 Oct 2004
This review is from: Has Been (Audio CD)
When i heard that William Shatner was releasing an album i was a little unsure what it would be like having not heard his 1968 offering "Transformed Man" (I don't really recommend buying that by the way)I am not a star trek fan so the praise I give to this album is not because i am a trekie but because of the album in its own right. The album is produced by the fantastic Ben Folds and his influence is heard on the album, but not to the point you think it's a Ben Folds album with William Shatner providing vocals. If you like Ben Folds and Ben Folds Five then the chances are you are going to enjoy this even though it's different. The Mix of music and spoken word interspersed with guest vocalist really works.
The Album is brilliant, it's fun in places and serious and honest in others. It's a well rounded album and since I got it it's been providing my life with much joy. I have never felt the need to write a review on Amazon before but this album impressed me enough to make me want to. Go out and buy it, it's the best thing you could do with £8.99.

4.0 out of 5 stars Oh, my., 10 Oct 2004
This review is from: Has Been (Audio CD)
I was going to try and play this review for laughs, but dammit, I'm too far under this album's spell- I am quite astonished, yea, a changed fellow, for William Shatner's 'Has Been' is... brilliant! Yes, initially I listened to it probably trying to be 'ironic'- 'let's all laugh at that fellow who was in T. J. Hooker,' but I am now apologetic for any wayward remarks I may have made. He does talk all the way through, which may be off-putting to some, but it's not like the album lacks melodies- it's compensated for with bass and lovely guitar which work together with the excellent diction of the man himself to form a fantastic poetic whole. And actually, this isn't at all like his old (and possibly terrible) stuff like Lucy In The Sky With Yada Yada, it's a fully rounded and well constructed piece- his collaborators are no small fry- the excellent Lemon Jelly and Henry Rollins (in the hilarious 'I can't Get Behind That.' So it has melodies, astonishingly touching and clever lyrics (which beg for some sort of award); there's loveliness, and there's the line 'the Colonel is break dancing.'
It still might not have worked though, if it wasn't for the marvellously self-deprecating humour of Will himself ('what are you afraid of? Failure? Because I am.'), so you can't mock it for being too serious, and neither does it ever descend into camp schamltz. If you saw Mr. Shatner sitting in a bar, possibly with a quiet, possibly sad, smile on his face and a whiskey at his elbow, you might predict he'd make music like this.

4.0 out of 5 stars A heartfelt work of near-genius. No, really., 5 Oct 2004
a.k. (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Has Been (Audio CD)
You've heard his cover of Common People, perhaps the album's weakest track, the one thrown to the critics like so much doggerel for the world to laugh at. But even the clips of this track omit the final apocalyptic verse where the massed children's choir, Joe Jackson channelling Dick Van Dyke, and Shatner spit "Cut your hair and get a job" with such venom you'd think they were still living in that Hackney high-rise. Unfortunately no one in the world is going to hear the rest of the album and that's a shame because it holds treasures for anyone brave enough to take a leap of faith, to boldly go etc.
Plenty of Big subjects get the Shatner treatment, let's kick off with our mortality, Being and Nothingness, that sort of thing: You'll have time is The Shat's fantastically perky take on our inevitable worm foodliness, it's better than Death Is Not The End "Maybe you won't suffer, maybe it's quick, but you'll have time to think 'why did I waste it', because you're gonna die". He goes on to list various people who have already died, before reminding us, again, that we're all gonna die and "by the time you hear this I may well be dead".
As a corollary to this is What Have You Done, a spoken word piece where Shat speaks about finding his wife's dead body in their swimming pool. Any lingering doubts about the sincerity of this album are dispelled: "My love was supposed to protect her, it didn't, my love was supposed to heal her, it didn't. You had said don't leave me and I begged you not to leave me, we did".
In That's Me Trying, Shatner takes on the guise of a deadbeat dad trying to get in touch with a long lost daughter. I don't know how autobiographical this but it was evokes a genuine response in the listener. He doesn't want any complications, "I don't want to know if I've got grandchildren", he doesn't want to be burdened with details of her life. He suggests they both read the same novel so that they'll have something to talk about when they meet. I swear, I am welling up just typing this.
Ideal Woman is the nearest Shatner comes to, what you might very well call, singing. Over a vaguely calypso beat we learn that the ideal woman is one who is just herself, "I love what you eat! you want yoghurt you got yoghurt, papaya is yours, chewing gum, chew away! I want you to be you (spit out the gum, it doesn't work)". The obligatory 'famous people are just like the rest of you little people" number is the alt country Real with Brad Paisley. Like so much of this album the results are better than you would ever expect.
The highlight is the duet/spar/ throwdown/ grudge match with Henry Rollins I Can't Get Behind That. This is bad beat poetry at its best, and beat poetry is only good when it's very bad, and over mad bongo drums. I urge you to hear this track. Shat and The Roll trade pet hates, "Shatner: My kids say 'he said to me and I'm like and she's like' Rollins: it's all 'he's all, she's all', I can't get behind that kinda like...English". Student drivers, God, TV commercials, leaf blowers, spam email, it's all here. The Lemon Jelly collaboration Together is really just Rambling Man. And it's fantastic. And you will never hear it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Never judge a book...., 29 Dec 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Has Been (Audio CD)
Having heard the Shat's magnificant Transformed Man album I approached this expecting a bit of a laugh. While there are a couple of tongue in cheek tracks (Has Been, I Can't Behind That) they never stray into the ridiculous category (like his Mr.Tambourine Man/Lucy In The Sky/etc covers). Instead we have what actually turns out to be many heartfelt ballads (check out It Hasn't Happened Yet/That's Me Trying). Ben Folds', at times, beautiful piano accompaniment fits perfectly with Shatner's 'poetic' vocal style to create an album that'll have you gazing out the window thoughtfully one minute, and laughing along with the common people the next. Dismiss at your peril.

Has Been
Has Been by William Shatner (Audio CD - 2004)