Top positive review
14 people found this helpful
Loved it instantly
on 4 May 2005
Hopefully this isn't a biased review for I listen to almost everything, pop, rock, r'n'b, country and classcial, you name it.
About a year ago I heard a couple of the Used's songs and thought nothing of it, I didn't like it. It wasn't until I heard the single 'All that I've Got' that I decided to give them another go and I don't regret it either. It's not often that I buy a rock album where I listen to the whole album on repeat for days on end, but with this one I gave it once over and fell in love with it instantly. I have heard their older stuff and although it's still their style it has matured greatly.
01. Take it away (7/10) With a spoken begining, heavy guitars and a few screams, Bert soon sings normally with a build up to a belting chorus which just urges you to sing along with it.
02. I caught fire (10/10) A fairly upbeat song with great lyrics and I love Bert's voice which can switch from soft to poweful (without screaming). The verses are what catch me the most rather than the chorus and but over all, a great song.
03. Let it bleed (6/10) Not a favourite but still good. Once again the verses are catchier than the chorus although I do like the manic laughing and screaming somewhere in the middle, gives the sense that Bert's gone crazy.
04. All that I've got (10/10) The song that got me hooked. Not exactly a ballad but not too upbeat either. Bert's voice is great once again and the song has a dark feel to it, fantasy like, but then that might be the music video forcing those thoughts on me.
05. Cut up the angels (7/10) Not much guitar in it, more drums than anything. The lyrics are confusing and not at the same time. Not my favourite but I can still listen to it without the urge to skip it.
06. Listening (8/10) This song did take a while to grow on me but the chorus has a great tune to it. Normal singing, some screaming, more manic laugter and some whispering.
07. Yesterday's feelings (7/10) The first real ballad of the album. I would prefer this song much more if it wasn't for the odd, bubbling sound in the background. Apart from that, a lovely soft ballad.
08. Light with a sharpe edge (9/10) This also took a while to grow on me but I love it now. It's the chorus that has me hooked the most but the entire song is still great.
09. Sound effects and overdramatics (10/10) Another song heavy on the guitars and with screaming. The reason I love this song so much is that their are three different parts to it throughout. it begins with a slow pace with Bert singing normally and then it speeds up and Bert's voice raises slightly leading into a slow screaming chorus. An amazing song in my opinion.
10. it's hard to say (10/10) Another ballad and a much better one than before. Once again Bert's singing beautifully (reminds me slightly of the Rasmus) a bit more of a pop song.
11. Lunacy Fringe (10/10) An upbeat song but without being heavy on the drums and guitar, it's really hard to explain but it's completely different from the rest of the album.
12. I'm a fake (8/10) A cringeworthy beginning with Bert voicing his thoughts but the rest of the song is great. With a similar style chorus to 'Take it away' it's still sounds different.