In Love And Death (PA Version)
Format: Audio CDChange
Price:£5.38+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 4 May 2005
Hopefully this isn't a biased review for I listen to almost everything, pop, rock, r'n'b, country and classcial, you name it.
About a year ago I heard a couple of the Used's songs and thought nothing of it, I didn't like it. It wasn't until I heard the single 'All that I've Got' that I decided to give them another go and I don't regret it either. It's not often that I buy a rock album where I listen to the whole album on repeat for days on end, but with this one I gave it once over and fell in love with it instantly. I have heard their older stuff and although it's still their style it has matured greatly.
01. Take it away (7/10) With a spoken begining, heavy guitars and a few screams, Bert soon sings normally with a build up to a belting chorus which just urges you to sing along with it.
02. I caught fire (10/10) A fairly upbeat song with great lyrics and I love Bert's voice which can switch from soft to poweful (without screaming). The verses are what catch me the most rather than the chorus and but over all, a great song.
03. Let it bleed (6/10) Not a favourite but still good. Once again the verses are catchier than the chorus although I do like the manic laughing and screaming somewhere in the middle, gives the sense that Bert's gone crazy.
04. All that I've got (10/10) The song that got me hooked. Not exactly a ballad but not too upbeat either. Bert's voice is great once again and the song has a dark feel to it, fantasy like, but then that might be the music video forcing those thoughts on me.
05. Cut up the angels (7/10) Not much guitar in it, more drums than anything. The lyrics are confusing and not at the same time. Not my favourite but I can still listen to it without the urge to skip it.
06. Listening (8/10) This song did take a while to grow on me but the chorus has a great tune to it. Normal singing, some screaming, more manic laugter and some whispering.
07. Yesterday's feelings (7/10) The first real ballad of the album. I would prefer this song much more if it wasn't for the odd, bubbling sound in the background. Apart from that, a lovely soft ballad.
08. Light with a sharpe edge (9/10) This also took a while to grow on me but I love it now. It's the chorus that has me hooked the most but the entire song is still great.
09. Sound effects and overdramatics (10/10) Another song heavy on the guitars and with screaming. The reason I love this song so much is that their are three different parts to it throughout. it begins with a slow pace with Bert singing normally and then it speeds up and Bert's voice raises slightly leading into a slow screaming chorus. An amazing song in my opinion.
10. it's hard to say (10/10) Another ballad and a much better one than before. Once again Bert's singing beautifully (reminds me slightly of the Rasmus) a bit more of a pop song.
11. Lunacy Fringe (10/10) An upbeat song but without being heavy on the drums and guitar, it's really hard to explain but it's completely different from the rest of the album.
12. I'm a fake (8/10) A cringeworthy beginning with Bert voicing his thoughts but the rest of the song is great. With a similar style chorus to 'Take it away' it's still sounds different.
on 23 September 2004
The Used's second album was always a highly anticipated release. Their debut album made a huge impact two years ago and the Utah four piece gained great reviews. No one expected this album to be like the first, and it isn't.
The musicianship on this album is obviously better. The production, however, seems a little overdone. The first album was a little bit more raw even though both CDs have the same producer (John Feldman). This CD is much more radio friendly than it's predecessor. The album still has screaming but you'll hear more singing than the first. Bert's lyrics are better than ever before, and the lyrics are fairly dark on this CD.
The CD starts a nice little build up and breaks you into the album with Take It Away, the first single to be taken from the CD. As you go through the album it has it's highs and lows. The album doesn't lose anything towards the end though, it actually finishes with one of the standout tracks, I'm A Fake. All of the songs on this CD are extremely likeable, although you may feel that some songs on this album are just filler (Yesterday's Feelings, Cut Up Angels etc). The standout tracks would be I'm a Fake, SoundEffects & Overdramatics and All That I've Got.
Overall, the CD is a solid second release but the first still comes out on top. If you like My Chemical Romance, Finch, Funeral For A Friend, Story of the Year or any other such bands, then you'll enjoy this CD.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
no one likes revealing themselves fully and exposing their soul with all his weaknesses and flaws to anyone,imagine doing it to the world,well thats what bert mccracken of the used has done on this album,he weakens himself on this album and maybe it will offer him some closure,who knows,but enough of that,onto the album.
In love and death may shock some old the used fans at first,it shocked me,their debut album was a punky ,twisted,screamcore fest with riffs that killed at times,this is the opposite really in terms of raucous riffs,we are left with ballads and more laid back tunes,of course there are rocking songs on here like take it away and of course the autobiographical album closer im a fake.songs like yesterdays feelings and cut up angels are in their own way pop rock songs but what the used do is make the songs interesting with strong chorus and very passionate lyrics,its a soul bearing album,of course if that was all it was it wouldnt be enough but in it there is still some great rage and passion and that is what the used bring to us,take it or leave it,i know what i made the right choice
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 22 January 2005
The Used's self titled album was amazing. Who thought they could top it? But they did. In Love and Death is an truly awesome combination of solid riffs and vocals combined with the music elements we want from The Used.
Featuring such power pop diamonds as "Cut up angels" mixed in with the rock genius of "Listening" The irony of "It's kind of funny how I'm not listening anyway" makes you fall in love with The Used even more. I am listening. I can't stop listening.
"Take it Away" is a fabulous opener, powerful and full of impact and the album finishes on an equally strong note "I'm a fake" is well worth remembering and you find yourself with their songs in your head all the time.
In Love and Death is Bert's angst ridden album for his late girlfriend and it's easy to see just how much justice he's done her
on 21 January 2005
After the deserved success of their self-tilted debut in 2002, the Used's second album was hotly anticipated within the post-hardcore/screamo/extremo (what is it the genre actually called?) circles and in my opinion it does not disappoint:)
When comparing the two albums, on the surface nothing much has change, but after a few more listens you'll find slight differences, lyrically they've improved and production is a little bit slicker now. The faster songs are more heavier this time around, but there's still plenty of slower tracks for all you emo fans out there!
Best songs off the album for me are 'take it away', 'listen', 'cut up angels' and 'I'm a fake'.
There have been some criticisms that this follow-up album is too over-produced compared to their first album, but what do they expect? When making their debut they where relatively unknowns, but now with more money to spend on 'In love and Death's' productions, of course they are going to use it?
Is 'In love and Death' better than the first album? In my opinion the answer is 'no'. Good as the first album? I would definitely say 'yes'.
Definitely get it if you're a fan of the Used (just don't go expecting many changes) and also checkout other bands like 'Taking back Sunday', 'My Chemical Romance', 'Funeral For a Friend', 'Finch', 'Thursday' etc if this has wetted your appetite for the screamo sound!
P.S. If you can try and see them live, recently saw them at the Brixton Academy in London and they were excellent!
on 19 February 2006
I have been a massive fan of The Used since I was introduced to them by a friend when their debut album was released, and eagerly anticipated their follow-up. With 'The Used' cementing itself as one of my favourite albums, there was a great chance I could have felt let down by 'In Love and Death'-I was certainly not disappointed. I would recommend it to anyone who loves emotive, aggressive and passionate rock music.
on 10 January 2005
This is yet again another great album from the used. The follow up to their self-titeld album. To be honest I don't no wich one I prefer, although most reviews I've read show that 'the used' fans prefer the older album. there are some really awsome tracks on the disc, with songs like: Take It Away, Let It Bleed and i caught fire(in your eyes). If you area Used fan definatly suggest this album, also to those who have heard just one or two songs to still buy this disc. The used are now one of my favourate bands and i'm sure what ever they release next will be truly awsome.
on 23 March 2005
If you are a true emo/punk fan and you do not have this album you have not lived, my friend. Purchase this CD NOW! You will not be disappointed. There isn't a single song on here that I dont enjoy listening to. Many people feel that this album is too mainstream in style and doesnt compare to their debut album, but I disagree. Berts's lyrics are darker and he screams pretty darn well, Quinn's riffs kick ass, and branden and Jeph do a pretty good job at drums and bass guitar, so all in all the combination of 4 musicians at their best is gonna b well worth listening to. There is a variety of style within the album, which shows how the used have evolved in their music in 2 years. my personal favourite songs are Listening, I'm A Fake, I Caught Fire and Lunacy Fringe.
on 31 March 2005
I have to say the first album was fantastic but the used have brought to us another amazing album. Slightyly different feel to this one I will say but brilliant all the same. Personal favourites are "take it away" "I'm a fake" and "all that I've got" I would say this album is a little bit mellower but great. You really must have this cd.
on 7 February 2005
wow, i got this album totally randomly and it was a fantastic find! there is not a track i dislike on the entire album, as a whole its energetic, emotional and ultimatley ulifting. these guys rock!
my favourites are 'all that i've got', 'cut up angels' and 'take it away' and the mellower 'hard to say' and 'yesterdays feelings' are also amazing. the vocals and lyrics are brilliant and it's just full of crazy energy! i don't really know which genre they come under, but screamo fits pretty nicely. go buy this album!