5.0 out of 5 stars A unique masterpiece
Published on 26 April 2003 by Joaquim Parcerisas

2.0 out of 5 stars JOAN...WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?...
This is a pretentious work by one of the greatest folk singers of all time. It features Joan Baez reading the poetic works of others with a smattering of music thrown in. This CD is the epitome of conceit. People buy Joan Baez CDs because of her glorious singing voice, not for her poetry reading.
As a conceptual work, the premise of the CD is intriguing, a melding of...
Published on 19 Feb. 2003 by Lawyeraau

5.0 out of 5 stars A unique masterpiece, 26 April 2003
Joaquim Parcerisas (Spain) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Baptism (Audio CD)
Joan Baez's «Baptism» is one of those albums which enormously enrich the music scene in general. It's more than different, that's why it gets a lot of criticism. But you're nobody until you're ciriticized for what you do (I'm thinking here of my previous commentator). Some of the poems are spoken and some are sung. Putting music to poetry is a difficult task, but achievable in this case. It all comes down to the listener, it's something very subjective according to your past experiences with the poems. It's like reading a novel and then watching the film about it. Your expectations are usually different from the ones you had previously created while reading the book. In this case my expectations either match for the most part my previously created picture of the poems, or surprise me a great deal. Apart from all this, this CD aroused my interest in going deeper into some of the poets' work which I had never heard of before. It's also a good way of introducing poetry and literature at school. I'm talking from experience back when I was a highschool student. It definitely worked. A unique masterpiece. Buy it or give it as a gift, no one will be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes you love poetry, 5 April 2003
Kim (Catalonia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Baptism (Audio CD)
The first time I ever heard of Joan's album "Baptism" was back at school when I was an adolescent. That's about 26 years ago today. It was my English teacher who used it to introduce both literature and poetry in the classroom. I was pretty impressed and it definitely helped me to go deeper into the subject. Last year I bought the CD version (I already had the LP) and it made me relive those happy days. From time to time I buy it to give as a present. For me it's one of the best albums ever. It's another way to get people like poetry. Both very suggestive and full of nuances. Just sit back, relax and let your imagination wander as you listen to it. A master work of art! A classic! Thanks Joan!

5.0 out of 5 stars Baroque Poetry Fusion Concept Album, 24 July 2010
This review is from: Baptism: Remastered (Audio CD)
This album continues to hold a place in my heart. I acquired it in 1968, when I was 17 & crazy about poetry. Following on from the brilliant 'Joan' album, this record had nothing whatsoever to do with pop music. Regarded by many as a detour, it nevertheless encompassed the sensibilities of Ms. Baez during a particular period of contemporary history when the material presented here was very relevant indeed. She had sung poetry before of course, with her rendition of Edgar Allan Poe's 'Annabel Lee' a striking example (from Joan), but a whole album? Well, it works so well that it can be regarded as a triumph. This record appeared during a Summer of violent unrest on the streets of Paris and America, with the Vietnam conflict escalating and memories of the 7-day war in the Middle East still very much in in our collective consciousness- not to mention the continuing cold war tensions that exerted an as yet unquantified but fundamental hold on the values of an entire generation. A period piece, then? Yes, that's true, but the matters addressed here were for all time with sensitive readings of great work from the likes of Walt Whitman, William Blake, Federico Garcia Lorca, Arthur Rimbaud, Yevgeny Yevtushenko, John Donne, James Joyce, Wilfred Owen, E.E. Cummings and Henry Treece- most of them selected by Maynard Solomon and provided with delicate musical settings in the baroque style by Peter Schickele. It was Baez herself who insisted on the inclusion of Lawrence Ferlinghetti's translation of Jacques Prevert's 'Song In The Blood': for me, still the pivotal track on the album and one of the most effective anti-war lyrics ever written. This was my introduction to Prevert and I have Joan Baez to thank for that lasting inspiration. What impresses here is Joan's tone throughout- sombre, yes, but measured and calm without a trace of hysteria or outrage. It's one most impressive body of work, the like of which has seldom if ever been matched either before or since. This stuff really does matter, you hear? It may not be the most popular record in Ms. Baez's extensive catalogue, but in my view it's the most enduringly moving and thought-provoking of the lot.

5.0 out of 5 stars Haunting, 6 May 2009
This review is from: Baptism (MP3 Download)
Although this is a detraction from what Joan usually does, when I purchased the original vinyl album way back when I was knocked out by the haunting poetry reading of Ms Baez. It remains one of my favourite albums of all time although I accept that it might not appeal to everybody.

2.0 out of 5 stars JOAN...WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?..., 19 Feb. 2003
Lawyeraau (Balmoral Castle) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Baptism (Audio CD)
As a conceptual work, the premise of the CD is intriguing, a melding of poetry and music, with the poetry read against a backdrop of music. It is intended to be evocative of the times in which we live, with the poetry extending the range of the music. In its execution, however, the premise is seriously flawed by Joan Baez's reading voice, as she drones on and on. No thespian she.
While it is obvious that a great deal of thought went into the selection of both the poetry and the music, it is an ambitious venture which does not work. Stick to singing, Joan. That is your gift.

1.0 out of 5 stars One Star, 22 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Baptism: Remastered (Audio CD)
no good in my opinion.

Baptism: Remastered
Baptism: Remastered by Joan Baez (Audio CD - 2004)