5.0 out of 5 stars Simple enough for little ones to try too!
Published on 18 Oct. 2011 by Helen H

3.0 out of 5 stars great fun
I bought this toy for my 7 year old.She loved it a lot.the patterns are easy to hold and very attractive to look at.
Published on 12 April 2011 by anvita

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple enough for little ones to try too!, 18 Oct. 2011
Helen H (Reading, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Galt First Sewing (Toy)
My daughter was given this kit for her 3rd birthday and we've just made the first (and simplest) item in the kit - a notepad holder. She really enjoyed it and though I needed to tie the knots for her and give plenty of direction, she was able to do a lot of it herself. I'm very pleased with the kit and my daughter is keen to move onto make the next item (a pencil case) later today. So although it's aimed at 5 years+, younger children can use it too and I'd imagine that an older child could make the items with minimal guidance.

In terms of how the kit is put together, the parts of the kit for each individual item (there are 5 things to make - notepad holder, pencil case, picture frame, butterfly bag, neck purse) are bagged seperately, with a couple of needles in each set so you don't need to worry if you lose any along the way. All the foam pieces are pre-cut and the instructions are pictures rather than text.

I'll be buying this as a gift for other children in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun with Sewing, 13 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Galt First Sewing (Toy)
My 4 y.o. grandaughter enjoyed making the various items in the sewing kit. She did have quite a bit of help from her granny but the pair of them really enjoyed the creative process and were very pleased with the items they produced.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent start to sewing, 26 Jan. 2009
R. Wheeler (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Galt First Sewing (Toy)
I got this for my daughter aged 6 and she's really enjoyed it. The four projects are easy to follow with a bit of help and she's used the pencil case and notebook holder a lot. Each project doesn't take too long and all are useable. The only word of caution is to be careful with the popper closing - if pulled too hard the foam could rip

5.0 out of 5 stars first sewing, 28 May 2011
This review is from: Galt First Sewing (Toy)
I enjoy introducing my Grandaughter to the world of crafts. This kit is first class. It has small easy to complete tasks with all the items needed to finish the items off.

4.0 out of 5 stars As ye sew, so shall ye reap, 20 July 2013
Hal Marshall "It wasn't me!" (Essex) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
= Educational:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Galt First Sewing (Toy)
I bought one of these for my two little home-educated relatives, aged 8 and 5. I wouldn't normally have risked instigating World War III in this way, but I figured that, with four projects, two needles and two children with fairly unpredictable levels of enthusiasm, one kit would do for starters. Luckily, they saw the wisdom of my stinginess without realising it for what it actually was.

The product is a lovely thing and its brightly coloured packaging immediately captured their interest. The instructions are very clear and the plastic needles, though sturdy enough to do the job properly, are not sharp enough to do any serious damage to either the youngster concerned or any nearby furniture (you can't scratch 'I woz 'ere' into the table top with them for instance...). This is vital if, like me, you're buying this for somebody else's children and if the parents of those children are significantly more intimidating than you are.

I made sure I was on hand to help with the various sewing projects - in a purely advisory capacity to begin with, but ready to leap in and show off the quality of my running stitch if the situation became desperate. Tragically, that never happened: the girls mastered each project beautifully, and with a great deal of individuality. The material used for the activities is light but pretty tough and the necessary holes have been pre-cut very well. The five year old grew a bit bored with life in general, and with sewing in particular, towards the end of her work on the notebook cover, but her sister finished the stitches for her without any problems and without feeling the need to involve me. I didn't sulk. I was very good, I didn't sulk.

It looks like it might be possible to unpick the stitches and start all over again, although I'm too sure how much punishment those little holes could take. In which case, this is very much a 'one time only' toy. But my two little friends were very excited to be doing a 'grown-up' craft, especially one which resulted in them having four very nice items to then play with.

That's the beauty of home education; Kids get to learn about useful, practical things like sewing together their own handbag or crafting their own purse. That's the first step on the road to sewing on their husbands' buttons one day. Sorry - that's an awfully sexist thing for me to have said. Besides, any man worth his salt would be more than happy to sew any replacement buttons on his own frilly blouse, without even thinking of troubling the wife. No? Oh well, that must just be me then.

5.0 out of 5 stars sewing kit, 18 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Galt First Sewing (Toy)
I brought this for my eight year old daughter she loved it, she found it easy to sew, it was safe with plastic needles, and kept her busy

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant rainy day fun !, 10 May 2010
This review is from: Galt First Sewing (Toy)
Perfect as a birthday present or rainy day idea. For the price it kept my daughters busy and they are really proud of what they have made.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good present, 31 July 2010
M. McMillan (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Galt First Sewing (Toy)
I purchased this as a present and have since bought 2 more. Good value for money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely Sewing Kit, 4 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Galt First Sewing (Toy)
This sewing kit is fabulous. Being a seamstress myself, it was lovely to sit with my 5 year old daughter and teach her the basics of sewing. She loved doing it herself and she loved the end results and displayed them for everyone to see!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect For First-Time Stitchers, 14 Aug. 2014
Arachne202 - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Galt First Sewing (Toy)
This kit is at exactly the right level for my six-year-old, who is already eyeing up the sewing machine ambitiously, but still needs to first understand how the simple principles of needles and thread work.

The box contains five separately-packaged kits for five items. Each little kit contains several pieces of coloured foam with needleholes already punched into them, two fat pink plastic needles with no sharp points, and thick shoelaces instead of thread. There is a page of stick-on sequins for later decoration, and a page of instructions...... which I admit are just a set of unclear drawings, and parents who are not stitchers themselves may struggle with that.

We've done the pink and purple purse (lower-left-hand corner of the picture) so far. I had to stitch on the butterfly decoration, as that's a bit fiddly, and my daughter did the rest under my supervision. It's a smart and functional purse, which she's put all her pocket money into and now takes with her everywhere. She's immensely pleased with her accomplishment, and we will be stitching the other four items over the next four weekends.

This is great, and I shall be looking at Galt's other craft kits for children.

Galt First Sewing