5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting new take
An interesting new take on the conventional Role Playing Game but still a fantastic one which I love. Every fan should give this a try.
Published 15 months ago by Mr. Thomas D. Hill

3.0 out of 5 stars Hmmmm, bit hit and miss
Published on 7 Jan 2005 by be_afraid_be_very_afraid_666

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Hmmmm, bit hit and miss, 7 Jan 2005
This review is from: Lord of the Rings: The Third Age (Xbox) (Video Game)
When I first saw this game I thought "a group that werent in the film or books but were apparently there all along in the background, what a poor attempt at milking the cash cow" as I'm sure a lot of others have. However I got it anyway as I thought I'd give it a try, the tie in has been reasonably well thought out and seems to work, seeing the main characters a little more often would have been nice, (my games 70 odd percent done and I havent seen Sam, Merry, Frodo or Pippin). When I first got into a battle I thought "cool its like Final Fantasy". The fights get VERY repetative after a very short while and you'll find yourself saying "ugh not another fight" . The fights are very basic, you run, hit them, run back, they do the same. Something that I'm not sure if anyones noticed is that the turn system is incredibly flawed, on a lot more than 1 occasion I've found that I had 1 turn, the enemy had at least 9, I've even counted upto 16 before dieing. This is VERY frustrating as if you die you have to endure another 30min of boring fights to get back t where you were, which means that it's going to be one of those games you give up on, unfortuantely, I expect very few people to endure the boring fights enough to actually complete it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting new take, 12 April 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars More strategic than it first seems, 9 Jan 2013
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Lord of the Rings: The Third Age (Xbox) (Video Game)
It's true this game is limited in a lot of ways as noted by other reviewers. However, it can be fun, especially if you enjoy turn-based games as I do and just treat it as a challenge.

Unlike some other reviewers, I found that this game grew on me. True you can have a battle in which you don't even get an attack before you are stunned and slaughtered. However, every time that happened I found a way to field different characters or use them in a different way to win.

A few of tips (70% through):

(i) Invest in Speed in at least 1, probably 2 characters. It means you usually get to act first in a fight.
(ii) Once you have the rings that give you the light and shadow spell lists, start using the powers (even if usless) in battle to start gaining new powers from those lists. A couple of these at least are invaluable (dispel and silence) and will save your life in some battles. Idrial seems the best for this - I maxed her spirit power.
(iii) Concentrate on Berethor and Idrial for levelling up. They are the most essential in the party. Morwen is fun later on as she can steal XP, health and action points.

Hope that helps.

Worth a buy at a low price if this is your kind of game.

4.0 out of 5 stars A surprise, 2 Aug 2008
Mr. M. L. Hanford "MH74" (Hereford,England) - See all my reviews
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Lord of the Rings: The Third Age (Xbox) (Video Game)
You'd expect a RPG from EA based on a film of a book to be a complete cash in but oddly it isn't,(I have the 'action'game Two Towers and really haven't bothered with it),granted The Third Age doesn't stray from RPG norms,turn based battles,equipment.levelling up,overdrives(perfect mode)etc..but what it does it does well,the graphics are nice,especially the Balrog,the music and sound effects are convincing,you don't play the named characters but 'supporting' characters, it's like playing Kyle Katarn in the Jedi Knight game and not Luke or Han,ultimately who cares?,my only gripe is the hundred or so movie extracts,wading through them is a chore if you've seen the films,
I'm not a massive fan of the Peter Jackson films,I found them a bit bloated and ass-numbing,I much prefer the Ralph Bakshi animation and so only bought this on the cheap but as I say I was surprised and found it well worth the effort.

2.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointing, 10 Jan 2005
This review is from: Lord of the Rings: The Third Age (Xbox) (Video Game)
After playing KOTOR this game is very, very depressing. The battle system is just not realistic in the slightest. You wander around with a character (just one, not even the whole party on screen) and open chests and pray for a battle to start. You cant even see the enemies while you wander around, they just sort of zip you away to a battle screen which has little or nothing to do with where you are on the map. Then it gets worse. I like turn based combat, but this is lame. you have your attack turn, there is a sad little attempt at animated combat, then you RETURN to your spot. Its like some LOTR pokemon crossbreed. Very frustrating. I struggled through for about two hours only because I bought it. Then I gave up and bought Fable. Unless you are a total LOTR nut, I wouldnt bother. there are better games.

5.0 out of 5 stars best game ever, 12 Dec 2013
This review is from: Lord of the Rings: The Third Age (Xbox) (Video Game)
used to play this for the ps2 and couldn't play it for the 360 until they updated the system. it is by far the best lord of the rings game and came alot sooner than i expected

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic! Awesome classic, 9 Nov 2013
Ms. S. J. Ralph "gamester" (Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Lord of the Rings: The Third Age (Xbox) (Video Game)
Was so glad this was on the list of original XBOX games that could be played on a 360. Really missed playing it as only had it on PS2.

1.0 out of 5 stars Broken, 27 May 2013
This review is from: Lord of the Rings: The Third Age (Xbox) (Video Game)
Cut scenes throughout the game were not synced properly. the characters mouths would move and then 5 seconds later you would here what they said meaning half the time youd didnt get to hear what they were saying becuse the cut scene had finished.
around halfway through the game it also broke, my character was unable to move and stuck in one place.
This is why i have given it a 1 out of 5 as the seller shouldnt have sold a broken product.

1.0 out of 5 stars Truly awful, 23 Mar 2013
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Lord of the Rings: The Third Age (Xbox) (Video Game)
Easily the worst game I have ever played, the combat sequences are boring and tedious and running around the map becomes a challenge of running around in circles because glitches don't allow you to progress.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lord of the Rings review, 28 Dec 2012
A. J. M. Watson (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lord of the Rings: The Third Age (Xbox) (Video Game)
An interesting RPG, which, although it has some serious problems, is still a good game. Overall a good game. Thanks.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Lord of the Rings: The Third Age (Xbox)
Lord of the Rings: The Third Age (Xbox) by Electronic Arts (No Operating System, Xbox)
22.98