on 19 September 2004
....nope - this is one case where the re-mastering shows.
Using the latest DSD processing, these soundtracks (which are track-for-track identical to the Special Edition SOundtracks released on 1997) have been given a good dust-off and now sound better than ever. Even the Return of the Jedi Soundtrack sounds astonishing, although it seemed to generally have the worst sound quality in the 1997 releases.
Why only 4 stars then? OK - here we go with a whinge or two..
1) There is STILL some music missing - the Return of the Jedi 2-disc set is missing some cues, most noticeably Lapti Nek and the original Ewok Celebration
2) The more the sets are re-mastered and tinkered with, the more the original sound quality disappears, which in the case of Star Wars (or Episode IV, if you must...) is a bit of a shame - there was a very distinct sound on the original releases which is missed....
3) The perfunctory extra content - there is nothing that isn't already available somewhere else....with the minor exception of the physical contents of the booklets...
These things aside, this is a set well worth spending a few quid on, even if (like me) you already have the 1997 re-issues.
May the force be with you...
0Comment30 of 30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 October 2004
Considering that there are Cds out there that cost the same but contain,(at best)12 songs, this CD is more than worth the money with 75 tracks.
Not to mention that some tracks contain more than one piece of music.
To be fair, the CDs do contain a fair amount of filler material that you probably won't listen to. However these are overshadowed by the amount of wonderful atmospheric tracks.
I would recommend the following tracks:
Disc 1:
9. Ben Kenobi's Death/Tie Fighter Attack Medley
10. The Battle of Yavin
Disc 3:
2. Main Title/The Ice Planet Hoth Medley
5. The Battle of Hoth Medley (Ion Cannon/Imperial Walkers/Beneath the AT-AT/Escape in the Millennium Falcon)
Disc 4:
1. The Imperial March
12. The Rebel Fleet/End Title Medley (The under appreciated Star Wars Classic)
Disc 5:
8. The Emperor Arrives/The Death of Yoda/Obi-Wan's Revelation Medley
14. Jedi Rocks (although the scene its in is dreadful)
Disc 6:
7. The Battle Of Endor II Medley (Leia Is Wounded - The Duel Begins/Overtaking the Bunker/The Dark Side Beckons/The Emperor's Death)
10. Victory Celebration/End Title Medley
If you're a Star Wars fan this is more than a bargain and if you're not its an excellent example of Epic Film music from one of the World's best modern composers.
on 24 February 2012
The best upgrade in the galaxy? Possibly, but only if we discount the recent blu-rays!

I bought this set recently, after purchasing the blu-ray set of the films. My love of the Star Wars universe rekindled and my addiction for purchasing things with Star Wars written on it increased.

I was the owner of the original soundtracks. A New Hope was a double CD, but Empire and Return both single CDs, all of which contained pretty much just the main themes from the movies, often in unchronilogical order and, for some tracks, two main themes put into a single track. After watching the films again, I turned to the soundtracks, often listening and feeling somewhat let down that these soundtracks that I possessed felt incomplete and disjointed. I needed an upgrade. So after searching the galaxy, I decided on this purchase. For me it was the most reasonably priced and for me, what appeared to be the most complete. I was not disappointed.

As far as I can tell, what I was presented with was the complete score for all three films. In this set, there were themes that I had wanted in the original releases, but were never present, notably the Emperor's theme.

From reading other reviews, I can see that time has been spent re-mastering the music, and from listening, it's clearly evident. The back ground hiss is minimal, the clarity is crisp, and for me, one of the best parts was hearing the members of the orchestra moving pages of the score or moving in their seats... through headphones, it was like having a private performance of the score!

I have to agree with some reviews, that the re-mastered New Hope is different from the films and original soundtrack album... it appears more in-keeping with Empire and Return now... but not such a bad thing. It does give it a new dimension after all.

We are also presented with some bonus tracks, the most appearing on Return. Personally, I would have preferred some of the tracks incorporated into the CD into their relevant parts, but if you transfer the CDs to ITunes, then it's straight forward to move the tracks into their correct position.
There is also the `Binary Sunset' alternate version on New Hope, an unseemingly different version on this epic track. However, it turns out to be a bit of a gem, when some 5 or 6 minutes into the track, we are then presented with 4 or 5 different versions of the opening main scroll music. A very interesting listen.

Would I recommend this to others who were in the same position as me (with the original CDs or non at all)? YES! You will not be disappointed. Turn it up and feel the force. This is a gem for any collector, especially if you're like me, a 30 year old closet geek who turns this up at full volume in the car, pretending that you are actually in the cockpit of the Millennium Falcon! This is a must!!!!!!!!!
on 2 January 2014
It is remarkable how much the Star Wars Original Trilogy has become part of our culture - and how taken for granted the stunning soundtracks to the trilogy and the supposedly inferior Prequil trilogy are. Of course, Williams uses famous classical composers for inspiration, but he has lifted the movie soundtrack above any one else with these and his work on Jaws, Indiana Jones and Jurassic Park.

This is my son's introduction to orchestral music - he loves the films - and what a great way to start. The themes are simply excellent - from the opening fanfare, to the Darth Vader March, the Force theme, Leia's theme - these really are great to hear. The Prequil trilogy also has great music, like Battle of the Heroes and Darth Maul's theme and the recording of these 'lesser' film soundtracks are wonderful.

I am a musician, but I am not a technician. These just sound great to me. Clear, bright recordings, played superbly by the LSO, conducted by the composer. Not the kind of thing I normally buy, but you'd have to have a hole in your soul and collective memory not to rise in your chair when you hear this recording.

It might not be as original as Beethoven, Wagner or Strauss, but it's damn good music just the same.
on 8 January 2005
Just to add to gorkyoftrebizond from Trabzon, Turkey review, I find this CD ROM the best in quality sound.
It takes you through the whole Star Wars films musically which includes the Cantina Band (when Luke and Ben meet Han and Chewie in the bar) and their second number played (CD 1 disk one) but it also includes the other rare Darth Vader March theme(CD2). These tracks were only available from US Sources in CD singles before this stunning collection.
Side one takes you from the Fox introduction then the music will take you through the films. Side one on each CD takes you roughly through the first part of the film or half way through.
Each CD side is about an hour or hour and fifteen minutes long and it is the whole score of each part of the film.
It is highly collectable and comes with the 3D CD cover and inlcudes the poster from the original films (mostly US release) but I found that the websites for the screensavers did not recognise my CD's to download. Very dissapointing as I inserted both CD's into my drive but could not get joy from this.
If you are planning a Star Wars night or want to use the music for a quiz then I can highly recommend this 3 CD set to you; even if you are just a Star Wars collector then this is for you.
If you know the films music you will already know the tracks, it is worth buying.
May the Force be with YOU.
0Comment20 of 25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 July 2012
When Star Wars first hit the cinema way back more than 30 years ago, the sound tracks to the films were fabulous. Today the music still invokes the fun and thrills of those films. This re-mastered version is marvellous. Would recommend to all SW fans who want to feel the hairs standing on the back of your neck when you remember those wonderful films. In fact Darth Vader's march is my daughter's ring tone for me. Hope it means what I hope it means!
on 24 January 2012
These 6 CDs (two per film) feature the complete soundtracks from the classic trilogy. Themes such as Princess Leia's Theme, The Imperial March or Yoda's Theme are also presented as separate tracks.

I regret that this edition doesn't have the excellent booklets from the special edition releases, which detailed the music and themes in a most interesting manner.

So 5 stars for the music really, but docking one as the edition could have been better.
on 31 January 2009
This release is good for anyone that missed out on the original 1997 RCA Victor releases but for those that already have them there is no point in getting this as it is inferior it doesn't contain the in-depth sleeve notes that the previous releases have and the cover art is nowhere near as good they are just the covers that were used on the 2004 releases of the DVD's and the last thing is to say that Sony spent four months remastering the tracks the sound quality hasn't really changed at all it is probably only noticeable on high end speaker systems

And once again they haven't given us everything as all of the music is from the special editions of the film there is still material missing that hasn't been released since the star wars anthology set.
5 out of 10.
11 comment6 of 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 February 2010
I love the Star Wars music and this CD set is the best but it misses something. While the Star wars Episode 4 has 6 versions of the original theme the CD for Return of the Jedi does not contain the original music from Jaba's Palace or the celebration in the Ewok village. But apart from that the amount of some of the best Movie music is fantastic.
on 11 May 2013
If you like you like the original musical score and not one from the Made-up Sounds Nothing Like Orchestra, then pick this item.
I've seen it retailing in the high street for three times the price I paid here, it is 6 discs and I was not disappointed.
Recommend for the avid movie and Star wars fan.