4.0 out of 5 stars Monster, Monster, Monster!
Published on 21 May 2005 by Mr. A. M. Bayliss

3.0 out of 5 stars quite witty, but not brilliant
As a fan of Black Books, i looked forward to this DVD, but it did fall short of expectations. The first half is slow and light on laughs, but the show improves as Moran loosens up and keeps drinking. He is funny, but he just cannot compete with Bill Bailey and Eddie Izzard.
Published on 2 Feb 2005 by spamitz

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Monster, Monster, Monster!, 21 May 2005
This review is from: Dylan Moran: Live - Monster [DVD] (DVD)
First question, is Dylan Moran permanently drunk because everytime I see him on anything he seems to be the same condition? Not that that's a problem, because if he keeps coming up with brilliant stand up like this, who am I to argue. I first came across Dylan Moran a number of years ago, he was always doing the rounds on these stand up comedy shows and the first thing I remember, apart from how funny he was, was how shambloic and disjointed his comedy was. The stand up now seems to have been sewn up at the tears a bit more, but occasionally another stitch bursts and he goes off in another direction again. His world weary observations about modern life, music and youth are inspired and you find yourself joining in with his grumpy arguments which is all the more reason to love him. His observation on how his parents generation grew up in the 60's with the Beatles and The Stones and free sex, while his generation had MC Hammer and the AIDS virus is brilliant and utterly spot on. His views on modern music and his bizzare sideways look at mobile phone and celebrity culture are laugh out loud hilarious and his theory on how hotel rooms corrupt everyone is I think a valid theory which needs to be looked into further!
If you only know Moran through his work in Black Books and would like to find out more, you could write to him personally but I don't think it would do you much good so you may as well buy this dvd instead. There are no real extras but personally, I don't see that as a problem as you don't really need them. He's a commanding, shambolic figure with a wonderfully sad, surreal take on life and he deserves to be ranked as one of Irelands, and the worlds, top comedians

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliantly creative and enjoyable, 6 May 2005
This review is from: Dylan Moran: Live - Monster [DVD] (DVD)
Moran's stage presence is both captivating and dynamic. The richness of his vocabulary is exceeded only by the expressiveness of his body language, which incorporates hilarious manoeuvers involving body, face and hair!
The content is wideranging and seamlessly flows from topic to topic; there are no artificial bridges. One's attention is held captive by the expectation of humour, which is continuously met.
One of our favourite stand up comedians - warm, engaging and overall very human.
A thoroughly enjoyable and entertaining performance!

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious!, 7 Jan 2006
This review is from: Dylan Moran: Live - Monster [DVD] (DVD)
WOW! I seen the last 10 minutes of this show on Channel 4, and went straight online afterwards to see if could buy the DVD, which I did. I haven't laughed so much at a stand-up show in a long time! Moran is comic genius - the fact that he gets quite grumpy during the show adds to the laughter! I also really liked the fact that he was presenting the show with such a straight face! It makes a change from other comedians who laugh at their own (sometimes unfunny) jokes. Exploring topics ranging from the life-cycle, to comparing young children with drunks, and the famous Irish Hair sketch, this DVD will have you in stitches! Ive lent my copy to quite a number of my friends, all who loved it! Highly recommended! Cannot wait til I go to see him live in May 2006!

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this dvd!!! It's hilarious!, 24 Mar 2005
This review is from: Dylan Moran: Live - Monster [DVD] (DVD)
Dylan Moran, what a man! This live show is incredibly funny and had me in stitches the whole way through, you can't help but warm to this man, not only is he a comic genius but he's really cute too :)
His style is angry and random and if you liked black books at all you will love this, best dvd i've bought in a long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Like a Religions Awakening, 30 Mar 2005
C. J. Donoghue "the_third_eye_open" (Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dylan Moran: Live - Monster [DVD] (DVD)
When I first moved to England, I had a good grounding in classic British comedy, the likes of Blackadder, Monty Python, Fawlty Towers, Red Dwarf, etc. I then met my girlfriend at the time, and she introduced me to some more contemporary things, such as Black Books, Spaced, Big Train, etc.
Of everything she showed me, two people stood out; Bill Bailey and Dylan Moran. I was priveledged to see Bill Bailey's "Part Troll" in Basingstoke, and was blown away. It was comedy like I'd never seen before, surreal and whimsical, I thought it was the most revolutionary thing ever. I think the reason is that I couldn't track down any information on Dylan Moran, all I knew was that he was a comedian prior to Black Books.
Then this DVD came out, and I can honestly say that it is nothing short of groundbreaking. Moran seems to be the amalgamation of Bill Hicks and Bill Bailey. Intensity, venom, with a very surreal and whimsical twist. I felt like I had discovered something truly unique, someone who just speaks his mind, no matter what his mind is saying.
This disc is recommended for anyone and everyone, and though the language may be a bit strong, it is truly a thoroughly entertaining experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars criminally funny, 31 Dec 2004
This review is from: Dylan Moran: Live - Monster [DVD] (DVD)
my first encounter with dylan moran was black books, as is the case with most of his fans. however, recieving this dvd for christmas was deeply satisfactory.
try to imagine what bernard black would be like, if he were just left on a stage to talk for an hour and a half... you've got a pretty good idea of moran's stand-up show.
commenting on everything from potential to gin, the french to mobiles, this is clearly a man who hates the world. if you didn't like this you'd just see it as a man complaining for an hour and a half: but it's impossible not to. it's world-weary and truly brilliant.
a class act

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 10 Jan 2005
This review is from: Dylan Moran: Live - Monster [DVD] (DVD)
I promise you will laugh yourself silly with Dylan Moran, if you like Eddie Izzard or Billy Connolly you'll throughly enjoy this man's stand up. If you've not seen him before go and watch all three series of Black Books too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Bernard Black, only less drunk and slightly more reasonable, 6 Jan 2005
Miss Preddy (Sundsvall, Sweden) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dylan Moran: Live - Monster [DVD] (DVD)
This DVD is hilarious, that is, if you appreciate Dylan Moran's portrayal of Bernard Black in Black Books. The only real difference is that, as you'd expect from a stand-up, he debates current issues, rather than throwing tantrums and refusing to wash :) Again, go to Black Books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dangerously Funny, 13 April 2006
D. Saxton "dans1977uk" (Talbot Green, South Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dylan Moran: Live - Monster [DVD] (DVD)
Astonishingly, I laughed even more at this DVD than I did the 'Black Books' television series. Dylan is a very gifted comic who hits just the right note for an hour or so's entertainment of a Friday or Saturday evening without the need to leave your living room!

The sketch about children being remarkably similar to drunks makes me laugh even thinking about it.

I strongly recommend you buy this DVD, it's a snip for the 100's of hours entertainment you'll get out of it watching again and again.

5.0 out of 5 stars IRISH HAIR!!!!, 22 Nov 2004
This review is from: Dylan Moran: Live - Monster [DVD] (DVD)
This is a live recording of one of the Irish stand-up's many performances of his "Monster Tour". I was lucky enough to see him perform at the Wyndhams Theatre in London recently and, watching this, much of the material is the same, although, inevitably with stand-up, there are small differences. I found it hilarious when I saw him live and I found this DVD hilarious too- Dylan really has a way with words and true Irish Whimsy. Subjects up for discussion include Iraq, the French, children, Irish news, modern technology, cooking programs, smurfs (!),alcohol, and, of course, the old favourite IRISH HAIR!!!
This is a brilliant performance from a leading stand-up; BUY IT NOW AND LAUGH A LOT!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Dylan Moran: Live - Monster [DVD]
Dylan Moran: Live - Monster [DVD] by Dylan Moran (DVD - 2004)