4.0 out of 5 stars Accessible collection of Satie's piano music.
Published on 20 Mar. 2013 by Dun Ravin'

3.0 out of 5 stars misinterpreted
Published on 7 Sept. 2012 by Malachi Beale

4.0 out of 5 stars Accessible collection of Satie's piano music., 20 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Satie: Gnossiennes, Gymnopédies, Piano Works [Virgo] (Audio CD)
I was introduced to Satie's piano music by my wife, who played me a scratched LP by Ciccolini when we were first going out in the late seventies. I had never heard music like it. A series of short piano pieces, some poignant, some witty, all deceptively simple but difficult to tire of. It was very different to the reggae that made up most of my listening at that time, and helped me re-assess what I valued and enjoyed in music. When our turntable was so worn it had to go to the great disco in the sky, I looked for a CD to replace the now very battered LP. I bought "The Magic of Satie" by Jean-Yves Thibaudet first. I liked his playing, but it didn't contain some of my favourite tracks, but had instead a number of lesser-known Satie compositions which I didn't think worked as well as his more famous ones. Now I've bought this CD to supplement it. The selection of tracks is excellent for someone who has no ambition to become a Satie expert, but who enjoys his unique style of composition. I feel the piano playing isn't quite as good as Ciccolini's, but maybe that's just nostalgia. Of the tracks common to this and the Thibaudet album I generally prefer Thibaudet's, but I don't know enough about piano playing to analyse why. What I would say is for the price of a couple of coffees you can buy 70 minutes of wonderful music, more than adequately played, which you will be enjoying for decades to come.

3.0 out of 5 stars misinterpreted, 7 Sept. 2012
Malachi Beale (two blocks away from peter laughner) - See all my reviews
Queffelec is a wonderful player, and the sound quality is outstanding. But Queffelec interprets Satie's music as though he were a Romantic composer. Very awkward and jarring to listen to, an unwelcome imposition. Melodramatic and heavy handed without the surreal pathos and whimsical humor. Stick with de Leeuwen's stunning slow and graceful performances or Ciccolini's insightful and sympathetic renditions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Eric Satie, 20 Oct. 2012
This is an excellant CD - it is all his best known pieces and a few more obscure ones all together,at times jarring, but it is Satie at his haunting best.

5.0 out of 5 stars All the wrong notes and not necessarily in the right order, 13 Sept. 2011
J. M. Williams (Marlow Bottom, Bucks) - See all my reviews
This CD is one of those 'no-brainers'. If chancing £[] is an unconscionable gamble for you, then don't. In all other cases, order this zany helping of Satie now.
The notes don't usually follow the sequence you'd expect, after a sound grounding in Bach and Mozart; some of the notes are not even the ones you'd have chosen at all. But these zany pieces grab your attention with a witty innocence - not a bit like the discordancy of the Second Viennese School or anything offensive like that! It's a bit like hearing someone say something a bit ungrammatical or using an unexpected word, but still managing to convey a precise meaning. It likely makes you think 'I wish I'd said that'. I'd go as far as to say Satie is a sort of Dylan Thomas in music.
Anyway you've probably heard lots of these pieces many times before, and maybe not been sure what they were. But there's one very conventional piece towards the end of the CD that may surprise you - I was stunned to find it was by Satie. In fact, I even Googled it to make sure the record producers hadn't made a mistake. I've played that one track dozens of times in the car since, simply because it's so delightfully Lehár!
You can't make an intellectual assessment of these thirty odd pieces, at least I can't. You just accept them for what they are, mainly chirpy and eccentric. They're even written down largely without key or time signatures. How do you assess what he means when he defines a piece of music 'pear-shaped'? But somehow, it is. Some of the pieces, on the other hand, are almost disturbingly profound and thought-provoking. I keep thinking about how this gifted man died in utter destitution. A great loss to phonometrography.
Delightful music, delightfully played. You certainly won't get bored, if only because each piece is too short for that. It's great to be able to listen to all the Gnossiennes and Gymnopédies together, not simply relying on Classic fm to include the odd one occasionally in their play-list.
Excellent music for value - you probably guessed exactly what I meant, even though I used the wrong words somewhat in the wrong order!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, yet lesser-known, Composer., 22 Jun. 2011
T. S. C. (Somewhere in NW England.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Most people will probably not have heard of Erik Satie, but I can virtually guarantee that most people have heard a number of his more popular pieces. This is dreamy piano music, that makes you think of lost bittersweet days, and lonely beaches, and places that might just be dreams and on the edge of consciousness. Listening to this cd I am transported to gently melancholic places, where time stands still, or goes a little slower anyway, and the afternoon drifts off into haze.

Its a great cd to listen to, especially if you are writing something on your computer, as I often am. All in all, I highly recommend this cd if you like (mostly) gentle and melodic piano pieces, and if you like Claude Debussy, as they are not dissimilar to be honest. On the strength of this cd I am certainly going to purchase more of Satie's works.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 27 Dec. 2013
I bought this as a gift and it was well received. the music is beautiful, so simple but with so much meaning and inspiration for reflection.

4.0 out of 5 stars satie, 17 Aug. 2013
This was music which I thought I had already but when searchng for it on the shelf found it missing. I think maybe I had it on tape, most of which I have disposed of. I was pleased to be able to listen again to this piece which I have always enjoyed. Obviously haven't chosen to listen for some time but was nudged into looking for it by programmes on radio about Satie - all of which I enjoyed and found thought provoking. A good addition to my CD collection and a good performance.

5.0 out of 5 stars One to play many times, 4 Dec. 2013
Yes I would recommend this recording, it is one of the better ones. The selection of works makes for very enjoyable listening.

5.0 out of 5 stars Satie-Great CD. Love it!, 27 Feb. 2015
A truly wonderful CD. My family love Satie. Very relaxing and soothing. We often listen to it in the car and the atmosphere is very often one of calm and peace. So wonderfully heady and good for the soul, it puts my young children to sleep sometimes and can make the school run a time of reflection and inner peace. Incredibly serene and remarkably beautiful. Definitely one to buy if you love the works of Satie.

5.0 out of 5 stars victor's voice, 19 Oct. 2011
as i usually order four or five records at a time, to get free delivery, i play each one of the newly arrived discs one time first to see how i like them. with satie's record however, for the first time ever, i played it twice immediately and i only stopped to watch champion's league footie and so i played it again this morning. i haven't played any of the others yet. i love the remark in another posting here, the 'dylan thomas'of music. i am mainly an m2m man, monteverdi to mozart, and rarely go outside that range but this was a revelation.

Satie: Gnossiennes, Gymnopédies, Piano Works [Virgo]
Satie: Gnossiennes, Gymnopédies, Piano Works [Virgo] by Anne Queffélec (Audio CD - 2004)