4.0 out of 5 stars Our House - One of the finest, underrated musicals, EVER!
Published on 17 Dec 2005 by GerryT

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best but not the worst.
This is not the best musical I have watched but not the worst either. It was a welcome break to watch it as an alternative to the rubbish being churned out on the tele. over Christmas. It has a pretty energetic cast and good music.
Published 9 months ago by E. Phillips

4.0 out of 5 stars Our House - One of the finest, underrated musicals, EVER!, 17 Dec 2005
GerryT (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Our House - a Musical Love Story [DVD] (DVD)
Our House was a brilliant theatrical production and initially seemed to be on its way to following in the footsteps of classic musicals such as Return to the Forbidden Planet (sadly not available on video), Rocky Horror and other 'cult' musicals. The storyline was intricate but easy to follow (a la 'Sliding Doors') and the acting was superb. Then almost as quickly as it started on the London stage, it finished. There were rumours of a national tour but nothing happened. Some say that the setting in London's Camden was not accessible to the provinces. Rubbish - Blood Brothers worked in the opposite direction. But then, as if by magic, this DVD was published, showing the original cast performing to their superb and excellent best. It is an absolute joy to watch. You cannot go wrong in buying this DVD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Two musicals for the price of one, 7 Jun 2005
This review is from: Our House - a Musical Love Story [DVD] (DVD)
You might think that a musical based on the songs of a band would make the story suffer - songs would be shoehorned into situations or the script would take a bizarre twist to fit the lyrics of the next song.
There is no such problem here. The story and music fit so well you wouldn't have thought they weren't written together. The story is bitter-sweet, tragic and comic simultaneously. One minute you'll want to cry and the next you'll howl with laughter. It also has one of the cleverest pieces of dual-storyline since the French Lieutenant's Woman.
The story reminds me of Blood Brothers - "the people's musical" - this is the same - only more romantic (and better songs).
Great songs, great story, just great.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Amazing Musical!! A real treat for any musical lover!, 29 Nov 2005
This review is from: Our House - a Musical Love Story [DVD] (DVD)
I first saw this musical on BBC3 which was about a year an a half ago and fell in love with it straight away. Lucky I recorded it so I was able to re-watch it over and over but I ended up losing the video when I moved. For ages I searched for the video and could not find it! Then one day I found it and bought it straight away! I can't get enough of this musical because it is so real and and enjoyable to everyone. It had it's ups and downs like any great musical and the music has been put into a great story-line that keeps you watching to the end. If you are a fan of the music or just love musical theatre then this is the DVD for you and is well-worth the money! Buy it now, you will not regret it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Our House, 11 Nov 2004
This review is from: Our House - a Musical Love Story [DVD] (DVD)
If your a fan of a good musical, a good story. Then this is a show for you, I'm only sad that I didn't catch it live.
Forget the fact that it is all Madness songs because you won't even notice after five minutes. The songs blend so well into the story you would think they had been written for it. Fantastic performences by all the cast BAR NONE. I was revited to the screen which is unusual because I don't normally like DVD's of Theatre Shows but this is in my all time top ten. Give it a go you will not be dissapointed. I can't recommend this enough 10 stars from me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cracking musical even if you dont like Madness, 21 April 2008
This review is from: Our House - a Musical Love Story [DVD] (DVD)
Got this DVD on a recommendation as Im a big musical fan. I lived in London when this was on but not being a Madness fan didnt go and see it. What a mistake. The Madness music exists to propell the story along and what a story. Its not often a musical has a book of this strength. The story is told from 2 perspectives- a dark side when Joe breaks the law and runs away and a light side when he hands himself in instead and indeed it looks for most of the show as though crime does pay...or does it? The performances are superb and the guy who plays Jo deserves extra praise as he is never off stage. The cast all seem to be loving it and this comes straight off the stage out of the TV. I put this on whenever I want to be cheered up and it always does the trick. Shame it didnt last in the west end and I must be one of those to blame who prejudged it based on my knowledge of Madness music whereas this is so much more. Going to make up for this as it is now going on an extensive UK tour in 2008/09 with the same director and choreographer. It has been filmed extremely well such that it almost comes across as a play for TV. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Our House, 3 Jan 2005
This review is from: Our House - a Musical Love Story [DVD] (DVD)
Our House is without a doubt a brilliant show, which has been brilliantly filmed so you get a close idea of what it must have been like to see this excellent show in the theatre. Costumes, sets, lighting, sound all brilliant, and all performers were on top notch performing some brilliant choerogrpahy. The music of madness is put to the story of Joe Casey brilliantly, it could have been written for the show! It is good to see a show that can rival the likes of new modern musicals like Mama Mia! It just needs putting back on the West End or a tour!
A truly great production!

5.0 out of 5 stars Musicals Can't Get Much Better!!!, 31 Dec 2004
Mr R J Hardiman (Southampton, Hampshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Our House - a Musical Love Story [DVD] (DVD)
Having had the privilege of seeing Our House live, I knew I wanted to see it again, but was unsure how it would come across on the screen. My concerns were blown out of the water! The DVD does this fabulous musical justice, giving the viewer the feeling of being part of the performance. You find your feet tapping to the sounds, following a clever, yet simple storyline. There is true emotion on the faces of the actors, and you will feel emotion as you progress through the show.
To all Madness fans, this is an absolute must for your collection. Don't get hung up that the music sometimes does not sound exactly the same as the bands', or that the odd lyric has been changed to fit in with the story. This just adds to the magic of the show. Tim Firth and his crew have stayed faithful to the true spirit of Madness.
A combination of brilliant acting, superb dancing and, of course, the best music there is, will ensure that this DVD is played over and over again.
With this musical, they most definitely went One Step Beyond......

5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!, 28 Feb 2006
By A Customer
This review is from: Our House - a Musical Love Story [DVD] (DVD)
I usually cannot stand musicals the way people pointlessly burst into song, but Our House is different, its amazing! The storyline is Brilliant and the songs amazing they more or less stick to the original madness lyrics. I would highly recommend this DVD to absolutely anyone I just wish it would go on tour so I could go and see it live!
BUY THIS DVD, you will NOT be disappointed!

5.0 out of 5 stars I Love It!, 14 Nov 2004
This review is from: Our House - a Musical Love Story [DVD] (DVD)
This is without a doubt one of the best muscials in recent years! Although watching it on tv doesn't quite get across the amzaing quick changes that take place throughout the show it is well worth watching. Excellent story acted out by amazingly talented young actors. If you didn't see it live then see it now!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my Favourite Musicals, 17 Oct 2006
This review is from: Our House - a Musical Love Story [DVD] (DVD)
I am a huge fan of Musicals, and have seen quite a few, but this is one of the best. I grew up listening to Madness, but was unsure how well it would work with a storyline, but it fit in so beautifully. Other than a few clashes in vocal talent (in my opinion), the cast is perfect and the quick changes are amazing, leading me to watch it repeatedly just to figure out how it's done.

5 stars, and each one deserved.

Our House - a Musical Love Story [DVD]
Our House - a Musical Love Story [DVD] by Matthew Warchus (DVD - 2004)