5.0 out of 5 stars All the essentials
Published on 22 Oct 2004 by Peter Durward Harris

1.0 out of 5 stars A songs best friend- John Denver
I bought this album mainly for the track "I`m Sorry" and wasn't disappointed.The quality of all the tracks is excellent.
Published 17 months ago by H. Harrison

5.0 out of 5 stars All the essentials, 22 Oct 2004
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: A Song's Best Friend: The Very Best Of John Denver (Audio CD)
John wrote Leaving on a jet plane before he was famous. It became a huge international hit for Peter Paul and Mary. Apart from that song, this collection includes all his big American hits including Take me home country roads (a UK hit for Olivia Newton John), Sunshine on my shoulders, Annie's song (his biggest hit - number one in Britain and America), Back home again (my favorite song of his), Sweet surrender, I'm sorry, Rocky mountain high, Thank God I'm a country boy and Calypso (a tribute to Jacques Cousteau). The eighties were less successful but yielded two superb duets - Perhaps love (with Placido Domingo) and Wild Montana skies (with Emmylou Harris).

This is the strongest single CD collection of John's music yet released. Furthermore, the sound quality is better than on any previous collection.

Dedicated fans should be aware that this collection was released as Definitive all time greatest hits of John Denver in the USA, but as A song's best friend - the very best of John Denver in Britain, where the collection was issued in two versions - with and without the bonus CD, which contains some fascinating alternative versions of Leaving on a jet plane, Annie's song and Calypso, plus a cover of The weight, a song normally associated with The Band.

The difference between the British and American titles is justified since only Annie's song and Perhaps love made the UK charts. Just don't waste your money buying both. Buy your local version.

To those of you that think a single CD hardly does justice to John's music, well, I agree, but double CD's and boxed sets have been released previously while many of his original albumds have been released on CD (at least in America). Nevertheless, this is a great introduction to John's music.

4.0 out of 5 stars Shame it's not a double, 21 Oct 2004
Mr. R. B. Ager "Ronald Ager" (Nottingham, UK) - See all my reviews
Thirty years ago it was that the BBC enticed John Denver across the pond, gave him and his blend of seeming homespun country and folk songs a concert and then a primetime TV series with which he duly won the ears and hearts of the great British public. Most of this collection draws from his most popular mainstream material of that time through to the early 1980s, and the tunes have certainly stood the test of time, even if some of the lyrics may now be unfashionable. They track his development from one man and his guitar, singing "Poems Prayers and Promises" through the much-covered group number "Take Me Home, Country Roads", and the twee love song to his (then) wife Annie, to the rather over-produced, orchestra-led tribute to Jacques Cousteau, "Calypso", and the perhaps ill-advised duet with Placido Domingo, "Perhaps Love" - even on the back burner Domingo has more heat than most.
It's a fine single album tribute to the late singer and includes all his chart hits. A double album would have been even better, for there is much material on his LPs, both early and later, worthy of bringing to the attention of today's audience.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Inspiring Collection, 20 Jan 2005
This man's voice is inspiring, I have never listened to music that has had such an emotional effect on me as this. The first time I listed to this cd and heard Annie's Song (which I have learnt he wrote about his first wife), I literally stopped what I was doing just to listen. I love it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Music to heal the soul, 27 Oct 2004
E. Crofts "Emma C" (Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews
There really are no words to describe the feeling you get when you here John Denver sing. If you've ever heard him sing you'll know what I mean. If you haven't then you've missed out. I can't recommend this album highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wholesome and Soothing Country Vibes from a Legend!, 1 Feb 2010
Mr. R. Kimachia (Bradford, England, UK) - See all my reviews
An outstanding album that I bought for my mother for her birthday and after hearing it in the car, I had to borrow it to put on my iPod! A very calm and soothing album with all his hits and more for the newcomer like myself to discover.

An excellent album to listen to whilst on the road or just chill out at home :D

A must-buy if you love country or are wanting to expand your musical spectrum!

5.0 out of 5 stars A song's best friend: The Very Best of John Denver, 14 July 2009
What a joy!! This cd is guaranteed to please true John Denver fans, and the quality is excellent.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful album .. but missing 1 song, 29 Jan 2009
Paul Reynolds (Willenhall, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this album after watching the film 'Take me home ..' and it didnt disapoint. The only song I really knew of John Denvers was 'Annies song'. Although there was one song which was highlighted in the film, called 'This old guitar' which wasnt included in his greatest hits. I may even donwload this track from itunes it is so nice.
I was listening to this album in the car, in the dark and cold mornings, and here was Denver singing about sunshine and streams and mountains, and in some obscure way, it uplifted me - i cant wait til Summer to come (even if it is a British summer).

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect easy listening, 18 July 2010
This is the best CD I have bought in a long time. Its very easy to listen to, either as background music or to sing along with when washing up etc. My first John Denver but not the last. Give it a try it is wonderful.

5.0 out of 5 stars GOOD album..., 14 Nov 2013
I'd been thinking of buying this album from Mr Denver for a while, am I glad I got it.
His music is so honestly pleasing, it really is a joy to listen to, it wont be long before you're singing away.
My favs are, Poems, prayers and promises - Annies song - Country roads.
If you like John Denver and you want an album that reflects him and his best songs, GET THIS ONE.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great buy, 13 Oct 2013
This is a superb album. We used to have a similar one on a vinyl LP years ago so it brought back great memories. I remembered most of the songs and had forgotten what a good voice John Denver had. There are lots to sing along to on this CD - Calypso, Rocky Mountain High, Take me home country roads, Shanghai Breezes - and I was delighted to find a song I hadn't heard before called Looking for Space which I would imagine he wrote about his own experience. This is an album to play over and over and never tire of. Excellent.