5.0 out of 5 stars One of the finest debut albums of all time.
Jeff Buckley was best described by Bono from U2, as "a pure drop in an ocean of noise". Wheh you listen to "Grace", you can see exactly what he meant.
The first thing that hits you is Jeff's amazing voice, an instrument of true wonder, he could falsetto to such beauty that it inspired the likes of Thom Yorke from Radiohead to reach new vocal...
Published on 14 Dec. 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars Undoubtedly beautiful, but arguably redundant
So many different reviews, all seemingly arguing the same points...
Lets start with removing the obvious: Grace is an incredible album, and people will argue whether or not it is the greatest album ever/of the nineties/etc etc for many years to come. If there is one thing above all else that Jeff Buckley's music epitomises, it is beauty, and anyone who does not own...
Published on 3 Dec. 2004

‹ Previous | 1 2 328 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Last Goodbye, not forgotten, 17 Nov. 2003
gareth moorhouse (stockport, cheshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Grace (Audio CD)
When Jeff Buckley tragically drowned swimming in the Mississippi he left behind a legacy and a legend encapsulated in this his only 'finished' album.
'Grace' comes breathtakingly close to perfection in a way that so few albums can claim to do. If you're looking for a comparison it is on a par with the Beatles 'Revolver', the 'Stone Roses' self-titled debut or more recently Tom McRae's 'Just Like Blood' - you need to buy this album (five pounds in most shops at the moment) to truely appreciate its greatness.
The tragically poignant 'Last Goodbye' is a work of pure musical genious, Jeff's incredible voice soars above the hypnotic guitar riffs and pulsating drum beat. Buckley, son of the legendary Tim, inherited his father's 7 octave vocal range and he shows it off time and again here.
The closing 'Dream Brother' provides a stunning finish to the album, its seductive allure builds to a pulsating climax...words can't do it justice.
Please please please add this to your collection, if you ever hold a dinner party it simply oozes class and excellent musical taste. Jeff, if you're up their in heaven this LP may well have been your last goodbye, but you certainly won't be forgotten.
ps - other lesser known 'must have' albums include:
Portrait: Celtus
Way to Blue: An Introduction to Nick Drake
New Adventure's in Hi-fi: REM
August and Everything After: Counting Crows

5.0 out of 5 stars A Beautiful Piece of Life, 22 Jan. 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Grace: Legacy Edition (Audio CD)
I purchased this album purely on a whim...after I saw "Grace" featured so many times in "my top ten albums of all time" on Amazon and read on various internet sites that Jeff Buckley had an ethereal voice rarely heard of in this day and age...and I have to say with a massive degree of smugness that this album was a highly important find for me. Yes, I have fallen in love with bands before...The Doors and Nirvana are favourites of mine, but none have quite touched me in the same way that Jeff Buckley has. "Grace" gets under your skin and in to your bones like no other album I have ever heard. You can live and breathe the music of Jeff Buckley as it positively lives on inspite of the tragic demise of its creator. My life feels better for having the beauty of Jeff Buckley's music in it. This album is quite simply divine. There is one word that constantly crops up in reviews and fan appreciations of Buckley's music, and that word is "beautiful". Buy this CD, sit back and relax and listen to the pure beauty that will fill your ears....Jeff was an incredibly special human being and musician and we are lucky that we have this small snatch of heaven to listen to. RIP Jeff.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Genius, 20 April 2004
This review is from: Grace (Audio CD)
Things like Jeff Buckley only come once in awhile...like this particular record. I originally heard of Jeff from my mum, a fan. I'm only 16 and I like The Distillers, Nirvana and stuff like that, so this stuff can be for everyone. Everythiing on this record is fantastic. All the songs, including Mojo Pin, (the opening track?) from the word go, will lock you in and you find yourself floating away into a dream world...it's amazing. 'Lover You Should've Come Over' is one awesome track, not to mention beautifully pure and insightful. Jeff's lyrics were beautiful and they flow so well with each song. This record was named in Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Albums of All Time, and it deserved the title aswell. Hallelujah, is an incredible song, timeless...and you'll never get bored with it. This is an amazing CD that any respecting music lover should have in their collection. You won't regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Breathtaking., 31 July 2008
This review is from: Grace (Audio CD)
When I first listened to this album about 5 years ago, I completely disliked it apart from the title track, even though I was pretty open to a vast range of music. I think the hardest thing to get used to is the high voice on some of the songs.

After a while I began listening to the other tracks and became ashamed for having avoided them so long. Not long after I warmed to the voice and now believe he is probably the best male singer to have graced my ears.

At a glance the album can seem so normal, and too soft.. But is all part of the delicacy of the music, the subtlety of slides in dynamics and timbres send shivers down my spine. It helps to have a very realistic sounding Hi Fi to get the full effect of it all!

The album was constructed over many years of Buckley finding his voice and battling expectations left by his father's legacy... The same sort of patience should therefore be required by the listener to parallel with his musical vision.

If I had to name my favourite album, this would be it!

5.0 out of 5 stars If Carlsberg made albums...., 1 Jun. 2004
This review is from: Grace (Audio CD)
Quite simply the most stunning and moving album you could ever buy. This is an album which has the unique and perhaps dubious honour of reducing me to tears on a first listen. And not because of the tragedy of Jeff's early death, which i knew next to nothing about when i bought the album. Aside from that great loss, this is an album which reflects every mood: sorrow, anger, love, depression, hope, despair.... but, for all that, this is no sentimental wallowing session. This is pure raw emotion, amazing poetic lyricism delivered by a stunning voice. Grace itself is an amazing song (who can resist that opening?), but Hallelujah is amazing, Lilac wine seductive and Last Goodbye simply one of my favourite songs ever. I bought this album on a whim - if only all my whims were this good!
So much praise almost threatens to cheapen the experience that 'Grace' is. Words just don't do it justice, so you'll just have to buy it to understand what i am, rather pathetically, trying to say. You won't regret it!

5.0 out of 5 stars "Genius" is a deserved description, 29 Dec. 2004
Keith Brett "dance phenom" (Dublin) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Grace: Legacy Edition (Audio CD)
I remember the first time I listened to Grace and being a little lost. The albums scope is just so vast, from the sparse beauty of Hallelujah and Corpus Christi Carol to the "rockin" Eternal Life and So Real. It really took a few listens to appreciate the albums brilliance! If I had to give up all my music but was allowed just one album it would be this. Favourite track personally is So Real, that wild but still controlled ending still gives me the shivers.
The second disc is a tough one, I side with the folks who think Forget Her should've remained unreleased, great song though it is. The rest of the disc is great especially Hank Williams' 'Lost Highway' and Bob Dylans 'Mama You been on my mind' The "road" version of Eternal Life though really kicks ass!
Everyone should give this album a chance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 24 Mar. 2004
This review is from: Grace (Audio CD)
Every mediocre album gets its band of followers on Amazon who proclaim it the "Best Album Ever", but hopefully I can convince you this is completely different.

Firstly, Jeff Buckley was an extraordinarily talented musician, and the versions of songs on this album are by no means the definitive versions. For almost every live performance, he would improvise or completely re-arrange his songs for different moods and impacts - yet even when he's making chord progressions up on the spot the songs still sound polished. Combine this with his legendary voice and his remarkable intuition and compatibility with his bandmates, and you will never hear a song played the same way twice.

Some may say there is a worrying ratio of covers to original songs on 'Grace', but when Jeff Buckley covers a song, his is the only version you'll remember - Hallelujah being the obvious example. Besides, there are no doubts about Jeff's own songwriting ability - Dream Brother, Lover and Last Goodbye are proof enough. It's nice that more people are finding out about Jeff, but a shame that all anyone's heard is Hallelujah (it's not even his best cover...).

Jeff Buckley's voice is almost painfully honest throughout. Some people accuse him of being melodramatic, and they're half right, but his voice is so outstanding that what would be "over-the-top" for anyone else suits him perfectly.

Hopefully you are convinced by now to part with £6 to try this album. Be sure to recommend it to friends and they will be indebted to you more or less forever - like I am to the guy who instructed me to buy Grace.

5.0 out of 5 stars You need this CD..., 30 Aug. 2000
This review is from: Grace (Audio CD)
I had the amazing good fortune to catch Jeff live on no less than two occasions.The first time was in Antwerp,Belgium in a very small(capacity 100) and now defunct concert hall called Pacific.The Grace album had been living in my cd player for the last months and now he would play my hometown.Needless to say to anyone who ever heard him live it was one of the greatest gigs I ever saw.You could hear a room collectively hold their breath when Jeff walked on stage and launched into "Dream Brother".During an extended "Hallelujah" you could hear a pin drop as the audience was hanging on every syllable Jeff sang.A few months later I caught him at Botanique,Brussels. The band had put on some road muscle as they blistered through MC5's "Kick out the jams" and a very fierce version of "Eternal life".There were more people there and quite a few screaming girls.Halfway through he asked if anyone was present who was at that Pacific gig.I raised my hand and shouted "right here,man" and he said it was one of the finest gigs he ever played.It was really touching to know you are not alone in feeling the magic of those special gigs, that the artists know it themselves as well. just when I thought that this show was really less intimate then that time Jeff walked on stage for the encore alone and did this amazing version of a Gershwin-Arlen tune "The man that got away" and proved me wrong.Here was a man who had absorbed all the popular music of this century, made it his own and then ventured on, following his own path.Now that he's dead I still find it hard to listen to this album which for me is one the greatest albums of all time in any genre. God only knows what he would have done to top this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beware- Withdrawal sympthoms as soon as you press "Stop", 4 Feb. 2003
Gail (Paola Malta) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Grace (Audio CD)
What is wrong with you?! You still haven't got this album yet, what are you waiting for? This CD has been glued to my stereo for the past year. Yeah, it's that good! But I have to be honest not everybody managed to get right into it straight away. The thing about Jeff Buckley is that he never was the kind of guy who wrote songs with, bridge and chorus kind of songs. He wanted Art and Art he gave us through the sorrowful and poetic lyrics he wrote. You'd be drooling over him by the end of the album and crying about such a terible loss. The famous "Halleluljah" we'll make you cry, as his voice full of passion touches your very own soul. Again, I won't go into details about each song so this will be a revelation for you. Jeff Buckley is one of those artists the world will forever mourn. He died when he was just 30. However not many people knew about him when he was still alive and well. They, like myself discovered him much later and cherish every song made by him. Sadly, he only released one album during his lifetime, but beware you might become addicted to it. You might experience some withdrawal sympthoms as soon as you press "Stop" and are about to leave for work.
Get it! You won't see this album as any other album that's for sure. Jeff wanted to be perfect for everybody to hear. This is truly a unique album by a unique artist. Jeff Buckley, thanks for your music. You've changed our lives.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Grace" by Jeff Buckley, 8 Feb. 2004
This review is from: Grace (Audio CD)
I stumbled upon "Grace" by chance. Having heard the odd comment about a singer by the name of Jeff Buckley who died young and had a semi famous father who was also a singer. Admittedly the first time I played "Grace" the songs just seemed to wash over me not leaving much of an impact. But there was something that set it apart from most albums that are played once and banished to the bottom rung of the cd rack never to be played again. The beauty of "Grace" is that it truly does get better the more it is played, adding to the muchloved and used cliche. From the opening verse of "Mojo pin" to the last chords of "Dream Brother", you are swept away with on a wave of heart bursting longing and songs that are disturbingly prophetic due to Buckley's untimely demise. Notably on the album titled second song, Buckley sings "And the rain is falling, I believe my time has come, it reminds me of the pain I might leave behind". "Lover you should have come over", my personal favourite, is the token angst unrequitted love song whilst "Hallelujah" is sang so beautifully that it could bring the world hating, disillusioned person lurking in all of us closer to God. This is a truly phenomenal album which is becoming like an old friend, and which I'm sure will still be played and held in such loving high regard for many years to come.

‹ Previous | 1 2 328 | Next ›

Grace
Grace by Jeff Buckley (Audio CD - 2004)