1,568
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy (Extended Edition Box Set) [DVD]
Format: DVDChange
Price:£15.25+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 4 July 2011
Forget the whining and the moaning. Forget it all.

Yes, we could have done with JUST the films on Blu-ray and not all the same extras, but we have them and that's that.
Yes some of the green-blue colour change/darkening in "Fellowship" seems overdone in in certain scenes or details, but most of the time these changes are in fact a vast improvement in picture quality and general aesthetics.

And quite frankly the most important thing is simply this...do the Blu-rays offer up a stunning looking, major upgrade from DVD, transfer?
And the answer is a huge and mighty OH YES!

All the films look truly stunning in the sheer amount of extra detail they offer up (backgrounds now pop with stunning clarity and pin sharp definition of even the smallest details) and often some of the depth is startling too, especially in many of the Gollum scenes.
Just take a look at the Rivendell scenes in "Fellowship", the rock/mountain/Gollum scenes in "The Two Towers" and the massive battle scenes and epic vistas in "Two Towers" and "King" and be amazed at the gorgeous detail, depth and clarity that is now revealed.

Play these (and many, many, many more) sequences next to their now flat, grey, blurred DVD counterparts and you will see that buying this Blu-ray set is as essential to any fan of the movies as breathing itself.
And all that's not even taking into account the mighty, thundering, crystal clear HD audio.

Utterly essential!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 18 December 2006
To think that after only five years since its release, the quality of the Lord of the Rings is already beyond debate. The word masterpiece is a word that is bandied about too loosely in almost every form of entertainment, and film is no exclusion. If there are only a handful of modern masterpieces in the last few years, then surely the Lord of the Rings is among them.

Taking a cast that is a mixture of experienced thespians - Ian McKellen, Christopher Lee, Vigo Mortensen, Cate Blanchett - and talented youngsters - Elijah Wood, Sean Astin and Orlando Bloom to name but a few - the director, Peter Jackson, has crafted a brilliant movie that matches the novel for its sheer epic size and its sprawling storyline.

Taking his idyllic homeland of New Zealand, Jackson managed to bring the world of the books onto our screens, without resorting wholly to CGI. The vast, beautiful countryside that populates New Zealand is so spectacular that you may well question whether it even exists, but it does and Jackson knew this and brought the world of Tolkien to life where others have failed.

This is an excellent DVD that is abundant with extras, but the real pleasure is in allowing the movie to stretch out and breathe in one continuous sitting, which stretches to over 13 hours.

If you are knew to the world of Tolkien, or just coming back for more, you'll be delighted with this box-set. Not only has Jackson created an epic film, he has also put loving care into this box-set to the extent that you wish all directors could be like him.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 30 June 2011
The reproduction of the films in blu ray is superb. Some of the scenes are so well reproduced that there is an undoubted 3D quality about them and it is possible to see detail which was not evident before. There are scenes that I could swear that I am seeing for the first time so I am going to have to cross check with my original DVDs.
The packaging is excellent.
The films themselves are, of course, without parallel and stand in their place in film making history.
Two discs for each film? Er.......get a life. It's cup of tea time or time for a snack. I remember the time when the mark of all epics at the cinema was that they had an intermission. Don't ever remember hearing anyone say 'Ben Hur, Spartacus, Towering Inferno etc. Not for me! They have an intermission.' There are some really daft people. It's a sign of the times - I WANT IT NOW!
DVD extras - not blu ray. Oh Hum!
Of course the late release is a marketing ploy but in waiting for the release of the extended versions I wasn't taken in by the original blu ray release.

Yes, some people can moan. I'll watch the films.

By the way Amazon, thanks for the refund when the product turned out to be cheaper. Very refreshing in this day and age.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 2 January 2009
I got this for my husband who is rather a Tolkien fan, despite my having seen the cinema-release editions several times. I had thought that there would be a few chunks added mainly to satisfy the devotees, but what emerged seems to be the films that Jackson really wanted to make, and then had to chop down to three hours to be more marketable. The additions are usually small and frequent: a few lines or a shot or two and occasionally a whole scene added or reworked, but they are not padding - they do add to the story by adding background history of the characters and explaining aspects of the plot. The stories run better as a result and almost seem like different films altogether and very much improved, you really don't notice the extended length. We haven't looked at the supplementary documentaries yet, but I think they will be as impressive.
on 26 August 2011
Have put off buying any LOTR DVD's or Blu-ray's knowing that they would eventually release this - am glad that my wait is finally over!

Blu-rays look awesome and sound is great too - going to be having a LOTR marathon viewing some night soon! The only way this would be bettered is by watching in the cinema again - I can only hope my local cinema shows LOTR when The Hobbit is near release...
on 28 August 2011
There have been reviews which mention intense colours in the first film'the fellowship', there is no such problem. My advice to those with a problem is to manually adjust their tv screens. It is true that the colours are more vibrant but this is what blu ray offers - better picture and sound. The sound really is 1000xs better, more natural and subtle in all films making them more watchable and less tiresome. This blu ray trilogy should be held as a guide to all that follow to show just what blu ray really is capable of. Another complaint is the splitting of the films, I dont get this as it does serve as a toilet break if you are going to watch the film in a one-er. That done let me tell you that you get 2 blu rays for each film, the same bonus dvds found in the previous standard extended release for each film and a new standard bonus dvd which is new to this release. That means 5 discs for each film. They are presented in the blu ray slip boxes which are all housed in a golden cardboard box. When you open up you get a map of the journey. This is a simple non fussy presentation which seems to suit. Basically if you are a fan like me then you will appreciate this transfer as it does do the story justice. I did buy the standard extended release and took a chance on this set, and suprise I dont regret it at all. I hope this sets everyones mind to rest. If you do get this collection and you find the easter eggs then a warning as these are a little mature in nature and suggest that you may not let young children see them. So now roll on the Hobbit...
on 2 April 2013
I can't find fault in these collection of discs for Blu Ray. All of Gandalf's whisperings are finally audible on these versions. On the DVD i would have to turn up the volume way loud just to hear him harp on about Gollum to Frodo in the Mines of Moria only for me to forget i turned it up and it nearly blasts my speakers when the Balrog turns up! So well worth the purchase
on 29 April 2012
Amazing product from top to bottom with cristal picture and imaginative box that is must have for all lotr fans.
Since first time I had tolkiens masterpice in my hands I wonted something like this. It is a dream come true.
This blue ray edition of extended movies is the best way to live that dream through excelent quality of picture and sound.
on 14 November 2012
I was gifted this special edition blu-ray by my better half, despite her lack of interest and my having 'gone-on' about LOTR since seeing the films at the cinema on their release. Has it really been so many years?!
Having watched this extended version, I have to say I am lost for words. I honestly could find no fault with them whatsoever... except perhaps they're a bit short! I felt compelled to re-read the books immediately afterwards (including The Hobbit) and was struck by how the imagery and experience of the films resonated so strongly with the story in words. While most films can only attempt to give a limited interpretation of their source material, this is quite different in that it has truly added extra dimension and clarity to it. I think JRR Tolkien would approve.
The decision to split this into 6 discs worked very well for me. I only watched one disc a day, as there is so much in each that I simply needed time to absorb and reflect on it. Except when I'd finished the 5th disc I couldn't wait to start watching the last one!
I having only today finished the "making-of" documentaries, which are truly exceptional. I have the feeling that the cast and crew will be as fond of this collection as the fans, as I sure was intended. It is certainly something to be immensely proud of. It's been an uplifting experience.

I think Peter Jackon's words at the end about this being a 'home-made' movie were quite extraordinary; but he's right, Hollywood could have never done this, and I cannot think of anyone else who could have carried this off. I'm still astonished that anyone did!

If I had to play 'desert island discs' this is the film I'd have, no question.

This famous trilogy has shown what is possible with a faithful adaptation, and it seems (rightly so) to have given Jackson permission (by everyone - fans included) to take some far more adventurous diversions with "The Hobbit". I am very much looking forward to seeing it in the cinema next month.
on 23 October 2012
I remember reading the book was magical even after further reads, and several years between. How could anyone say they were disappointed with the movies? Admittedly, you can't have every word from every page transferred to a script, and the reasons should be very obvious. So, along came the Extended Editions and..... The gaps between book and screen (including DVD) weren't filled, as some thought. Or were they?
For me, the Extended Editions were a superb telling of a long tale. The adaptations of the earlier movies were appreciated more, and why. The storyline followed the characters, bringing more of them out. They did close the gap between book and screenplay, and still with particular sections missing.
Now we've moved on from the DVD release to Blu-ray. These movies were meant for this format! The best movie collection to use as excellent examples of why move to Blu-ray, and HD.
I've thoroughly enjoyed the whole journey once more, and as it should be. The sound is absolutely stunning. The picture quality goes without saying is brilliant. The whole experience..... ROCKS!

So, what's on its way to our local cinemas? Maybe it's time to re-discover the books all over again? Just play these movies again to prepare you. We know Peter Jackson's work, and those of all concerned making the Rings Trilogy. Leave aside..... whatever that movie was. Where does someone's heart dwell?
I know, having seen the movies again, I'm ready for The Hobbit. Anything else? I'll be watching for the Blu-ray release dates being announced, to place my order.