5.0 out of 5 stars The best X4 by Far
Unlike others it has taken us 5 Dysons ( as we do two homes ), Panasonic, Electrolux, Hoover and Vax cleaners to finally see the light. This cleaner stands out above any of the others. To give it final justice I would like to have compared it to a Kirby but in fairness we havn,t.
Published on 27 Mar 2009 by Justanothercustomer

2.0 out of 5 stars Good things and bad things
Good things - its very powerful. We have had one for a couple of years as a replacement for one of those 'British' machines which should probably remain nameless.

Bad things
All comes down to accessories. There are times, like with the edges of rugs, where you could argue the power isnt quite as useful as you would like.

First of all is the...
Published 22 months ago by DrChris

5.0 out of 5 stars The best X4 by Far, 27 Mar 2009
This review is from: Sebo X4EXTRA Automatic Upright Vacuum Cleaner, 1300W (Kitchen & Home)
As others have mentioned the Dysons are OK for the first 3-6mths or so, but as all those joints and couplings start to wear, loosen and actually break, performance drops off significantly as this happens. They also look tatty as they start to display their contents ( who wants to visually display their dirt?).
Cannot comment on the Sebos performance with pet hairs ( probably the best trials a vac can have ) but in houses where they have a mixture of smooth floor coverings, laminates and carpets, they perform as a vac should do, perfectly.
They are no more expensive than the higher model Dysons, but unlike them they certainly justify their cost.
Can only really summarise that with this Sebo, Quality dosn't actually cost, it pays.

UPDATE:

Well its 07-06-2012 and the vac is over 3 years old now. Its still performing as strong as ever, the bags last for ages and ( touch wood ) reliability has been excellent. Had to shorten the wire by about 6" due to an operator mishap, but thats about all.

It has outperformed any other vac we have owned.

Would we buy another --- CERTAINLY so buy with confidence.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quiet and effective, 5 Nov 2007
Bluebell (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This is the best vacuum cleaner I've ever owned. It's lightweight to move around; very quite in operation; and excellent at lifting dirt off both hard floors and carpets. It automatically adjusts to a change in floor surface, which saves fiddling about with height adjusters that are a feature of some other vacuum cleaners. The hose attachment comes into operation as soon as you lift it off its holster on the machine. The only drawback attributable to the machine's light weight is that it can fall over when using the hose attachment--you need to hold on to the main handle as you use the hose. The dust bags are easy to insert and remove and, after removing a small plastic ring at the mouth of the bag, can be composted.

5.0 out of 5 stars Power assisted steering and great on pet hairs!, 29 Dec 2006
sapape (Northumberland, UK) - See all my reviews
If you want an upright cleaner that is good at picking up pet hairs from carpets there doesn't seem to be much choice. Even Which? is very sniffy about them. In fact, this is a fantastic cleaner. I assembled it in minutes and took it for a test drive. Carpets that had been cleaned only the day before yielded a quarter of a dustbag! Oh shame!

I have dogs and horses and, although the horses aren't allowed in the house (!), their hairs come in on my clothes. This cleaner had no difficulty shifting long and short pet hairs off the carpets. Even loose threads which I normally have to bend down and pick up by hand were no problem. It is quite heavy (18lbs, 8.2kg) which made it awkward to carry up the stairs. However, in use, it feels like it has power assisted steering! I am quite tall and often find my back aches after vacuuming. Not today. I even quite enjoyed the job!

The build quality feels good. Obviously I can't comment on the durability or reliability yet.

I have used Dyson and Miele cylinder cleaners in the past. In my opinion this beats them both hands down. It would have been nice to have a floor brush as standard for hard floor but one is available as an optional extra.

5.0 out of 5 stars Vorsprung durch common-sense, 30 Aug 2010
Amazon Verified Purchase(What is this?)
Despite Amazon's inability to spell `vacuum' correctly, my confidence was sufficiently high in this product to make me go ahead and buy one. After several decades of struggling with various makes of Hoover, Panasonic and Dyson, all the while cursing their idiotic design and practical flaws, the Sebo X4Xtra is based on common-sense and is the first such machine actually to alleviate my grumblings. Nonetheless, it was annoying to discover, upon ripping open its packaging, that this pristine blue and yellow contraption needed to be assembled on my disgustingly dirty kitchen carpet before I could try it out. Its Teutonic construction, however, was followed through by similarly efficient instructions and a cross-head screw-driver was required only once to attach a brush to the main handle.

Be warned when first using this Sebo -- its self-propelled forward action took me by surprise, whisking me off at speed across the floor, much to the alarm of my unsuspecting cats. But this feature renders it light and easy to manoeuvre around corners and into edges that no machine has ever reached before. Its sensible design has the cord attached near the top of the main handle, thus making it easy to keep the cable under control and lower the chances of running it over in the quest to remove every speck of dust. In terms of its cleaning capabilities an attractive, but impossible to vacuum, striped rug in my sitting room passed the Sebo's power test with flying colours; no other system has managed ever to return this piece of floor covering to its original fluffless glory.

The seemingly complicated spaghetti of solid hoses tuck themselves neatly out of sight when not being used, and its accessories are attached sensibly so that they don't fall off at the slightest bump. Cunningly its brushes detect whether or not they need to be employed, according to floor surface and carpet depth. Unlike my old Dyson which is just too wide and certainly too bulky to reach under many bits of furniture, the Sebo's low head carriage minimises irritating chair removal sessions thus speeding up the daily vacuum whip-round "to get rid of the worst ... "

The only downside to this magnificent piece of German engineering is that considerable effort is required to carry it up and down stairs. Again, unlike the Dyson, there is no obvious handle to grasp for such vertical activity and, to make this chore more onerous, the Sebo is heavy. I suppose I shall have to buy a second one for upstairs.

5.0 out of 5 stars sebo 2 years old now, 2 Aug 2007
H. Harrabin "Glosop" (England) - See all my reviews
I have had this vacum for just over 2 years and its fab. I previously have had 2 Dysons and they weren`t a patch on my Sebo. I`ve had no reliability issues at all. I use it daily. You can feel the suction as you pull it back to you. I have to admit it bashed me on the head a bit at first when using the hose and tools, but it`s not as rigid now and I`m obviously use to it. I use it mainly on carpets, with only the kitchen laminate flooring, and it`s great on both. I have recommended it to three of my friends who initially thought it was a lot of money for a hoover, but after having a go of mine, have each purchased one for themselves and are also very pleased.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant except ?, 26 Oct 2008
Sebo X4 Extra Vaccuum Cleaner

I agree with all the comments. Great vacuum cleaner except in its fifth year the automative height adjuster has become unreliable. I am otherwise impressed with the machine and am seriously considering buying a replacement.

5.0 out of 5 stars sebo , better than all of the rest !!, 23 May 2008
kerrygold71 "kezzy" (cheshire , united kingdom.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
ive had this sebo now for over 1 year and its excellent , we have a cat and our cat leaves lots of hairs about and this hoover picks all of those little hairs up with no fuss at all , plus over the year i have seen no loss of suction , its got the same amount of suction as it did on the same day it was brand new !!

our old hoovers used to be dyson we had a dyson for years from 1997-2007 and i went through loads of them and they never picked up very well , i used to service and clean it out myself regular , but they just never picked up that well , we also encounted lots of problems with dysons as well , so we opted for a sebo x4 excellent and ive never looked back at all , they are very light and they have a good suction as well , i would say better than the dyson , our last dyson was a dc14 .

the sebo is easier to clean and service and the hoover brush comes out with no problems so thats easy to clean as well .

with the sebo x4 you get a very long hoover hose , that is great for the stairs and hoovering high places , and its all automatic no need to adjust the height of the hoover , plus on the sebo website you can order lots and lots of spares and they are so cheap compared to dyson spares , and the sebo is made in germany so you know its been well made ..

i would class the sebo as the mercedes of hoovers and the dyson as the vauxhall or ford of hoovers ..

great hoover and a great price compared to other manufacters ..

thankyou sebo for making such an excellent and powerful & reliable hoover ..

see u ..

5.0 out of 5 stars The excellemce of Sebo, 14 May 2009
Amazon Verified Purchase(What is this?)
Our old Dyson having expired after years of good service we were persuaded by a neighbour to invest in a Sebo X 4 Extra. Good choice. Excelent and efficient over carpet without rucking up mats or rugs that might lie on top. Weight is concentrated on the base making it more effortless to use. Extending additional hose makes it much easier to use on stairs. Seems very well made and would anticipate many years of useage.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent vacuum, 25 April 2010
KH "KH" (Saffron Walden, Essex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Amazon Verified Purchase(What is this?)
This is the best vacuum cleaner I have ever bought. I initially bought the same model to use in my business and was so impressed I bought one for home when my Panasonic bagless gave up the ghost.

Don't be put off by the fact that the Sebo requires a bag. Quite frankly the assertion that bagless vacuums perform better is bunkum. Not only is the suction no better, but when you empty the cylinder, you usually get a face full of dust as the wind inexplicably changes direction just as you empty it into the bin!! No such problems exist with the Sebo: just take the bag out (which incidentally takes ages to register as full even when the cleaner is used every day) and bin it.

I can see only two very slight drawbacks to the Sebo but these are a result of its strengths. First, it is quite heavy and might be a little difficult for some people to manoeuvre (but this is because of its powerful motor). Second, the suction is so strong that the machine sometimes tips over when using the hose attachment.

I cannot praise this brand highly enough. It's pricey but well worth the investment.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Vacuum I have owned, 19 Jan 2006
By A Customer
I have had two Dyson cleaners, and were not that impressed with them.
They were ok to start with but over a period of time suction was not good, and was not impressed with after sles ervice. I recently bought a Sebo X4 Extra and it really does vacuum up my pet hairs! Great Investment...

ARRAY(0xa712c660)