5.0 out of 5 stars The best X4 by Far
Unlike others it has taken us 5 Dysons ( as we do two homes ), Panasonic, Electrolux, Hoover and Vax cleaners to finally see the light. This cleaner stands out above any of the others. To give it final justice I would like to have compared it to a Kirby but in fairness we havn,t.
Published on 27 Mar 2009 by Topefisher

2.0 out of 5 stars Good things and bad things
Good things - its very powerful. We have had one for a couple of years as a replacement for one of those 'British' machines which should probably remain nameless.

Bad things
All comes down to accessories. There are times, like with the edges of rugs, where you could argue the power isnt quite as useful as you would like.

First of all is the...
Published on 26 May 2012 by DrChris

5.0 out of 5 stars The best X4 by Far, 27 Mar 2009
This review is from: SEBO X4EXTRA Automatic Upright Vacuum Cleaner - 1300 W (Kitchen & Home)
As others have mentioned the Dysons are OK for the first 3-6mths or so, but as all those joints and couplings start to wear, loosen and actually break, performance drops off significantly as this happens. They also look tatty as they start to display their contents ( who wants to visually display their dirt?).
Cannot comment on the Sebos performance with pet hairs ( probably the best trials a vac can have ) but in houses where they have a mixture of smooth floor coverings, laminates and carpets, they perform as a vac should do, perfectly.
They are no more expensive than the higher model Dysons, but unlike them they certainly justify their cost.
Can only really summarise that with this Sebo, Quality dosn't actually cost, it pays.

UPDATE:

Well its 07-06-2012 and the vac is over 3 years old now. Its still performing as strong as ever, the bags last for ages and ( touch wood ) reliability has been excellent. Had to shorten the wire by about 6" due to an operator mishap, but thats about all.

It has outperformed any other vac we have owned.

Would we buy another --- CERTAINLY so buy with confidence.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quiet and effective, 5 Nov 2007
Bluebell (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This is the best vacuum cleaner I've ever owned. It's lightweight to move around; very quite in operation; and excellent at lifting dirt off both hard floors and carpets. It automatically adjusts to a change in floor surface, which saves fiddling about with height adjusters that are a feature of some other vacuum cleaners. The hose attachment comes into operation as soon as you lift it off its holster on the machine. The only drawback attributable to the machine's light weight is that it can fall over when using the hose attachment--you need to hold on to the main handle as you use the hose. The dust bags are easy to insert and remove and, after removing a small plastic ring at the mouth of the bag, can be composted.

5.0 out of 5 stars sebo 2 years old now, 2 Aug 2007
H. Harrabin "Glosop" (England) - See all my reviews
I have had this vacum for just over 2 years and its fab. I previously have had 2 Dysons and they weren`t a patch on my Sebo. I`ve had no reliability issues at all. I use it daily. You can feel the suction as you pull it back to you. I have to admit it bashed me on the head a bit at first when using the hose and tools, but it`s not as rigid now and I`m obviously use to it. I use it mainly on carpets, with only the kitchen laminate flooring, and it`s great on both. I have recommended it to three of my friends who initially thought it was a lot of money for a hoover, but after having a go of mine, have each purchased one for themselves and are also very pleased.

5.0 out of 5 stars sebo , better than all of the rest !!, 23 May 2008
kerrygold71 "kezzy" (cheshire , united kingdom.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
ive had this sebo now for over 1 year and its excellent , we have a cat and our cat leaves lots of hairs about and this hoover picks all of those little hairs up with no fuss at all , plus over the year i have seen no loss of suction , its got the same amount of suction as it did on the same day it was brand new !!

our old hoovers used to be dyson we had a dyson for years from 1997-2007 and i went through loads of them and they never picked up very well , i used to service and clean it out myself regular , but they just never picked up that well , we also encounted lots of problems with dysons as well , so we opted for a sebo x4 excellent and ive never looked back at all , they are very light and they have a good suction as well , i would say better than the dyson , our last dyson was a dc14 .

the sebo is easier to clean and service and the hoover brush comes out with no problems so thats easy to clean as well .

with the sebo x4 you get a very long hoover hose , that is great for the stairs and hoovering high places , and its all automatic no need to adjust the height of the hoover , plus on the sebo website you can order lots and lots of spares and they are so cheap compared to dyson spares , and the sebo is made in germany so you know its been well made ..

i would class the sebo as the mercedes of hoovers and the dyson as the vauxhall or ford of hoovers ..

great hoover and a great price compared to other manufacters ..

thankyou sebo for making such an excellent and powerful & reliable hoover ..

see u ..

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant except ?, 26 Oct 2008
Sebo X4 Extra Vaccuum Cleaner

I agree with all the comments. Great vacuum cleaner except in its fifth year the automative height adjuster has become unreliable. I am otherwise impressed with the machine and am seriously considering buying a replacement.

5.0 out of 5 stars Power assisted steering and great on pet hairs!, 29 Dec 2006
Amazon Customer (Northumberland, UK) - See all my reviews
If you want an upright cleaner that is good at picking up pet hairs from carpets there doesn't seem to be much choice. Even Which? is very sniffy about them. In fact, this is a fantastic cleaner. I assembled it in minutes and took it for a test drive. Carpets that had been cleaned only the day before yielded a quarter of a dustbag! Oh shame!

I have dogs and horses and, although the horses aren't allowed in the house (!), their hairs come in on my clothes. This cleaner had no difficulty shifting long and short pet hairs off the carpets. Even loose threads which I normally have to bend down and pick up by hand were no problem. It is quite heavy (18lbs, 8.2kg) which made it awkward to carry up the stairs. However, in use, it feels like it has power assisted steering! I am quite tall and often find my back aches after vacuuming. Not today. I even quite enjoyed the job!

The build quality feels good. Obviously I can't comment on the durability or reliability yet.

I have used Dyson and Miele cylinder cleaners in the past. In my opinion this beats them both hands down. It would have been nice to have a floor brush as standard for hard floor but one is available as an optional extra.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent vacuum, 25 April 2010
KH "KH" (Saffron Walden, Essex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This is the best vacuum cleaner I have ever bought. I initially bought the same model to use in my business and was so impressed I bought one for home when my Panasonic bagless gave up the ghost.

Don't be put off by the fact that the Sebo requires a bag. Quite frankly the assertion that bagless vacuums perform better is bunkum. Not only is the suction no better, but when you empty the cylinder, you usually get a face full of dust as the wind inexplicably changes direction just as you empty it into the bin!! No such problems exist with the Sebo: just take the bag out (which incidentally takes ages to register as full even when the cleaner is used every day) and bin it.

I can see only two very slight drawbacks to the Sebo but these are a result of its strengths. First, it is quite heavy and might be a little difficult for some people to manoeuvre (but this is because of its powerful motor). Second, the suction is so strong that the machine sometimes tips over when using the hose attachment.

I cannot praise this brand highly enough. It's pricey but well worth the investment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't rate it highly enough!, 6 May 2010
Valerian (Lake District, England) - See all my reviews
This machine is, in my opinion, unbeatable. I have left it ten months before writing this review to let the 'problems' and 'disappointments' arise. There aren't any and I am still thrilled with it. Yes, as a reviewer commented, it does fall over if the hose is pulled too hard but one gets used to handling it to stop this from happening. I checked out reviews from many, many sites before committing myself to an expensive purchase and I noticed that on an asthma prevention site in America it was the recommended item and very highly rated.

The machine is just so effective and all the dust is compressed firmly into its concealed bag. When the 'bag full' warning light comes on one simply pulls the lever to open the bag holding compartment, takes out the bag, replaces the bag's cap and disposes of the bag without getting dirt anywhere - least of all up your nose!

The Sebo has filters which need changing after 20 bags have been used. I have just started using my third bag after ten months (and with new carpets shedding fluff everywhere). Another of its many features is a button to release the rotating brush which then simply slides out of its holder for cleaning purposes. This doesn't usually require doing but a family member has a thick mane of waist length hair...

Oh, and there is no loss of the ample suction as the bag fills. The Dyson people say that their bagless machines with cyclonic action eliminate this and that may be so, but on my Dyson machines I had to change the filters every two months because of dramatic loss of suction.

Put briefly, the machine is lightweight, thorough, smart, clean and very user friendly. Buy and enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Vacuum I have owned, 19 Jan 2006
By A Customer
I have had two Dyson cleaners, and were not that impressed with them.
They were ok to start with but over a period of time suction was not good, and was not impressed with after sles ervice. I recently bought a Sebo X4 Extra and it really does vacuum up my pet hairs! Great Investment...

5.0 out of 5 stars Best vaccuum cleaner ever, 2 Aug 2009
I bought this Sebo after reading the reviews on Amazon and having it recommended by a vaccuum cleaner repairman....he will be out of work if he carries on doing this. I have only had my Sebo for about a month but thoroughly agree with them. It works really well on carpet and hard flooring. My last cleaner (an Electrolux bagless) just blew the dirt around the tiles on my kitchen floor. I love the fact it "detects" things on the floor...... I do have a tendency to vaccuum over wires, wrongly thinking they will be pushed out of the way. I have managed to do this once already and the Sebo just glides over them instead of chewing them up. The lead and hoses are so flexible, again these items on my last cleaner were stiff and difficult to manage forever twisting up. It is also much quieter. I also like the fact the handle is higher than most cleaners as I am taller than average.

SEBO X4EXTRA Automatic Upright Vacuum Cleaner - 1300 W