5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Beethoven, 14 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Beethoven: Piano Concertos Nos. 2 & 3 (Audio CD)
Argerich is one of the truly great pianists of modern times. We are privileged to have missed by performance of these concertos with masterly conducting from Abbado. The pianism brings out all the nuances Beethoven's piano writing. It really is brilliant and life affirming. I have this pianists previous disk of Beethoven's second piano Concerto but this performance surpasses it partly because of the conducting. Abbado and Argerich bring the best out of each other. And Beethoven. Buy immediately!

5.0 out of 5 stars A special disk..., 23 July 2005
R. Costin "RobbieC" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Beethoven: Piano Concertos Nos. 2 & 3 (Audio CD)
What can I say...this is a special disk. Two great musicians with a wonderful, youthful orchestra - there's deep understanding and sympathy here on many levels. The slow movement of the 2nd Concerto is a particular favourite and I must admit I went straight to that track. There's the humanity of Kempff but an 'edge' to it which is unique. It's music I know well but still I was surprised and delighted around every corner. The music making is on such an instinctive level that you're convinced this is the ONLY was of doing it, perhaps the litmus test for a great performance. It's also nice to hear a player who's not trying to prove something in Beethoven!

4.0 out of 5 stars Argerich and Abbado Live In Italy 2000/2004, 13 Mar. 2010
Philoctetes (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Beethoven: Piano Concertos Nos. 2 & 3 (Audio CD)
Only four stars because, for all the encomia heaped on this first recording of No.3, I don't think Argerich's interpretation is fully formed yet. The notes speak of late night rehearsals and plenty of doubts. What you do get is a performance that is brimming over with passion and spontaneity, but maybe it needed more time and further performances to settle.

Maybe the orchestra could have benefitted from further performances as well. I can't say I'm greatly enamoured. Sometimes I wished for a more refined string section, and just once or twice I felt Abbado and his players were a little discomfited by their legendary soloist. With further listening, some of my doubts are receding.

I think you'll get a lot of pleasure from these performances, but remember they're live and applause/bravos are retained. Argerich demands to be heard in this - or indeed any - music, but is it a library recommendation?

Time will tell.

Beethoven: Piano Concertos Nos. 2 & 3
Beethoven: Piano Concertos Nos. 2 & 3 by Martha Argerich^Claudio Abbado (Audio CD - 2010)