on 9 August 2004
She's Amazing! I went to Harewood House in Leeds and saw the sensational new singer, Gwyneth Herbert performing. I was completely blown away, I felt so privileged to witness the birth of this amazing new talent. She has an incredible texture to her voice that draws you into her every word. The audience couldn't get enough of her, she sung all songs from her new album - Bittersweet & Blue. This was a mixture of Jazz Standards (such as Fever and Ev'ry Time We Say Goodbye), some pop songs (remember the Portishead track Glory Box? She does a mind blowing rendition of it amongst others) and a few of her own songs, Bittersweet & Blue is a beautiful song, I can't get over how talented this girl is!
If you think Norah Jones, Eva Cassidy & Diana Krall are ok, you will LOVE Gwyneth Herbert. I can't wait for this album to become available.
on 23 October 2004
Have been waiting for a widely distributed Gwyneth CD for ages...and at last here it is. Having been lucky enough to have seen her live at a Durham University ball, i was bowled over by her powerful but sultry vocals. The new CD has become a favourite among friends and family and there are many requests for Xmas pressies, her take on Glory Box is just astounding... a truly meaningful song that almost reduces me to tears. WELL DONE!!! If you haven't bought this album by now, you really should!!!!
on 26 August 2004
I was lucky enough to catch Gwyneth at Ronnie Scott's last night. What a voice! She had the whole room spellbound. And her band were amazing. One minute she's belting out a standard - her version of It's Alright With Me was really funky - the next she's melting your heart with an incredibly tender ballad. What talent.
Her secret weapon must be her own songs. I heard "Bittersweet and Blue" and "Fallen" and both were first class - beautiful melodies and fantastic lyrics. Catch her while you can!
on 30 March 2005
firstly i think corduroy is the hardest word to spell ever!!!! but its worth it as this is the central word in the eponymous track - bittersweet and blue. as soon as you hear this word you know that you are in for a real treat. once again gwyn and will combine a sincere mmixture of musical covers and self penned tracks to great effect to create a musical meléé of fantastical pleasure. i got the cd. i put it on. i left it on. repeat. and sank into my chair in pleasure. we all know why we get a cd, weve heard one of the songs and liked it, so we get the album decide the rest are crap and put a few songs on programmed repeat. gwyn has taken out all the hard work for me! i only press repeat once, coz i love evey song on the album, the advanced musical stylings and deep jazz conotations infused with a gravely multi palleted voice. this voice can hadle slow jazz to r and b (where it would be wasted!). god gave an angel a voice to sing, therefore gwyn was born
we love you gwyneth Herbert
on 16 October 2013
I have only just discovered this singer. I heard her sing Only Love Can Break Your Heart in a movie and thought it was a very special voice. I took a chance and bought this album and was not disappointed. I will certainly be buying her other albums.
on 8 November 2010
Not on itunes, Yahoo, or Amazon. I can't find her anywhere in the US. This is crazy!!! Why doesn't she sell in the US?
on 11 September 2009
Saw Gwyneth live and wanted to hear her first album - rather conventional start. She has come along way from this.
on 29 September 2015
Great if you like jazz. I prefer her own stuff. But this album dies show off her rich warm voice.
on 22 May 2016
Fantastic! Try and see her live concerts too, amazing singer!
on 16 October 2004
After I enjoyed so much Gwyneth Herberts previous disc 'First Songs' in colaberation with Will Rutter, Bittersweet and Blue comes as a huge dissapointment. The liveliness and exitement of First Songs is missing, also some of the beauty. Indeed the track 'The Ballad of the Sad Young Men' must be one of the must beautyful new songs I have heard for many a year. Unfortunately there is nothing that comes any way near this on Bittersweet and Blue, there are no revolations and nothing stands out.
Yes, the lady is talented; Yes,the lady has a lovely voice but this album misses the mark.