5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!
Published on 26 Dec 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars The bad stuff about this player
K, there are plenty of Gmini lovers here, but I'm so-so about this player. Here's why:

1. It's heavy
2. The case is made of a thin metal that dents easily, this is how my 1st player's screen got cracked
3. Backing out of a file using the easilest 'x' (or 'back) button dumps you in the main screen, bypassing the 'Music' folder where all your album...
Published on 2 July 2010 by Jones.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, 26 Dec 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Archos Gmini 400 20GB Pocket Multimedia/Games Player (Electronics)
I spent ages comparing mp3 players, hi-md players and everything else there is, and after narrowing it down to the sony nw-hd1, sony mz-nh1 and this (the ipod fell at the first hurdle - its overrated). After literally months of consideration, I went for this because it was so feature packed. Some reviews say it's hard to use, but i didn't even need the albeit handy quick start guide to start listening. It's drag and drop, so no need for special software, simply copy cd's onto the computer with windows media player, and drag the folder onto the player.
The player itself is simply stunning. It's got a cool silver cover, and the sharp colour screen is more than adequate. Sound quality is cd perfect with the sony earbud earphones, and the controls are simple and intuitive. It took me a grand total of 5 mins to be able to work it blindfold. It's simply amazing! The supplied games, videos, photos and music isn't upto much (except i want to go to wherever the video was shot - it looks beautiful!), but that can be easily sorted by putting your own music on it!!! Haven't tried to put videos on it yet but installing the mpeg4 converter seems simple enough. Overall its an amazing player well worth the money, the only quibble is that it comes in a really stupid plastic packaging which you've got to rip open, rendering it useless! Add a good old fashioned box and it is the perfect player for the person wanting more from their mp3 layer than just music.
P.S. The screen, although small, is extremely detailed!!!, and it's a very small player!

5.0 out of 5 stars Owned for 3 weeks. Not regretted a moment., 25 Jan 2005
By A Customer
Okay, lets start with the bad points: It doesn't come with a case. Thats all I can think of! Honestly!
The good points:
Firstly, with a (supplied) wire you can connect this little gadget direct to your TV and watch your stored movies/photos directly on the TV, rather than the built in screen. No more trying to burn your movies onto DVD-r. The unit has a max resolution of 640x480 which is perfect for TV playback, so no real quality is lost. Using shareware programs, you can convert your DVD/AVI collection to the correct format (PocketDivxEncoder is very easy to use).
There is a Compact Flash slot direct into the machine, allowing you to put your photos directly into the Gmini while on the move. This frees up the card to be re-used. If you use a different type of card, an adaptor is available from Archos. You can view photos individually, 2x2, or 3x3 on the screen, you can rotate the pictures if you wish, and even set them as wallpaper.
If someone wants one of your files, it connects directly to a PC via USB2.0 (1.1 compatible) then you just "drag and drop" the files directly onto the PC. No Drivers to install. (The connection lead is the same as most digital cameras). You can also use it to transfer files from one PC to another, even if the Gmini can't read that file.
Everything on the screen is customisable.All fonts and colour schemes can be altered according to taste. Photos or j-peg files can be set as a background, just like a PC.
Already a user community is growing ([...]) with helpful advice and reports of minor problems and their fixes.
I haven't mentioned the great sound playback, the games available (Like hi-quality mobile phone games),or the recording options, because I think that they are pretty well covered in the previous reviews.
Since I got this 3 weeks ago, I haven't left home without it. I can listen to my music all day at work, then take it to my friends house, wire it up to the TV and watch some videos. So far, my batteries have not run out.

5.0 out of 5 stars An impressive litttle companion, 10 Dec 2004
By A Customer
The Archos Gmini 400 is extremely good value for money (I did plenty of research and compared to amongst others, the Ipod) and has, in my opinion, everything you could want out of a handy sized entertainment machine. The sound quality is excellent (higher spec headphones are recommended - I use the Sennheiser MX500s at 19.95), the video and photo elements a very handy addition. The video conversion to Divex needs a little practice but can be mastered fairly quickly.
All in all, this is a robust, smart (good looking) and versatile unit that will not disappoint. A further plus point is the screen: colour and high resolution.
Possible negatives are the battery power: 8-10hours. Word of warning: prolonged listening in one session on headphones can damage your ears! In other words, you'll have plenty of juice to satisfy a day or two's travelling away from a recharger.

5.0 out of 5 stars Movies, Music & Games on the move! it's a Gmini Adventure!, 21 Feb 2005
I only had Ipod in mind when I got the urge to buy an MP3 player.
Then on a recent TV show I saw one of these little beauties. This kind of device is set to take the Ipod's crown. Not only can you liten to your Mp3's you can watch your favourite movies too.
Using the full 20GB Drive will give you 80 hours of Divx or Xvid video. Using the supplied software you can convert you Divx downloads to play on the Gmini or get FlaskMpeg (freeware) to convert your favourite ripped DVD. Okay copying your favourite film takes time (2 hours +) but it's worth it and the files are so small you can back them up onto DVD or CD for later use.
This is the future, look out apple!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great(est) music/film/photo/storage combo, 21 May 2005
Great value for money.
Got this gadget-MP3 essentially because I need to download my camera CompactFlash cards to the player when the cards get filled. And it works great (no adapter needed - just plug'n'play for CF-cards).
But in addition to 20 GB storage (lots) I got a very nice MP3-player and to top off a movie-player that actually can be used and viewed on a train ride or long bus ride etc.
It works very well, I have no problems at all using it, navigating laoding and deleting folders, songs, films and photos etc. (others may find it more demanding). Good steady sound, small but quite good display, quick recharge time. Even has software that will let you copy films from your PC to your player. USB-port makes it look like an extra harddrive to a Windows PC.
Cons:
Looks great day one - but the aluminium (?) surface will scratch easily (I don't mind - but you may. I've put protective film on the display just in case) - battery does run out fast when you watch a movie (don't count on seeing more than one) - and it even hogs quite a lot downloading files.
Value? Half the price was covered just by not having to buy new CF-cards! Not very much more expensive than pure MP3-music player - but does much, much more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Archos Gmini 400, 21 Aug 2005
I did about 3 months worth of research before buying this and boy did it pay off. I have owned it for around 3 weeks now and am becoming a total geek!
I have downloaded movies and hooked this up to the TV to watch them - its excellent quality on the LCD too.
Also this is so easy to use. I havent looked at the manual yet, but have done almost everything.
I originaly wanted a basic MP3 player and had envisaged spending around #80 but while researching I decided that was false economy. This will store far more and last much longer. Plus it wont be out of date in a month.
It will store a lot of music with superb quality thru the supplied headphones, store movies, store photos, and play games.
Go on.....you know you want to!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent.....apart from......., 7 Feb 2005
By A Customer
I was so excited when this arrived, and it did not dissapoint. Sound quality is great, the ease of transfering music is astonishing (It completley sychronizes with windows media player, or you can drag and drop), and all the extras were brill. Creating playlists took a little getting used to and was sometimes frustrating, but once you get the hang of it it's fine, apart from that, the user interface is extremely easy to use.
However...
I don't know if I had a faulty product or if everyone is experiencing this problem, but I found that, for music, the battery life was nowhere near the advertised ten hours (I never got more than four hours from it). I tried getting in touch with archos technical "support" but by the time they'd e-mailed me back (simply saying 'battery life is ten hours for music and three hours for video. I almost kept it despite the poor battery performance, I liked it that much!!!
If you're not bothered about battery life, then I would highly reccomend this product as it is very very good. And, like I said, I may have just had a faulty unit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Coolest Gadget Yet, 24 May 2005
Functionally and aesthetically great product, smart, simple to use, great sound. Album / Track navigation gets more laborious once you have thousands of tracks loaded - but application is fast.
Playback of pictures slows when reviewing 1M+ size files, but 4 and 9 thumbnail view speeds scrolling.
Simple to use as an external USB hard drive - great for back ups and transfer of large volumes of data.
Can be used as a Dictaphone - good quality sound pickup and reproduction even on lowest quality setting offering endless hours of recording.
Games are a real hit with the kids - giving it kids' vote of "BEST GADGET YET"
My only concern will be how long the rechargeable battery will last - probably academic as we will have then progressed to 200 Gig players in same package

5.0 out of 5 stars GMini 400, 23 Jan 2005
This really is one of the best gadgets out there!
I've had mine for a couple of months now, and it goes everywhere with me. The audio quality is excellent, as is the video playback. The included software makes converting video files really easy, and the included cables makes playing them back on a TV even easier!
With 20GB capacity it makes a great device for backing up important documents or moving large amounts of data around- I have all of my photos and work on it, as well as almost every CD I've ever brought, and there is still room for more! The battery life is excellent too, and has been improved in the latest firmware upgrade, which was also easy to install (all info on how to do it was on the Archos website, as well as in the handy manual that comes with the GMini)
A highly recommended buy, 5 out of 5 for me!

5.0 out of 5 stars This thing does it all, 7 Sep 2005
I bought this super sexy piece of kit because I was fed up having to lug around my digital SLR just to show friends and family a few snaps. The archos can store thousands of jpegs and show them through any TV with an AV input. Its easy to organise photos into folders on the PC then copy them across to the GMINI with USB 2.0. Also, the CF card reader gives me a quick way to backup my photos when I'm out shooting.
As if that's not enough this gorgeous little thing will also store and show video (encoded as mpeg4 or divx). The included Virtualdub software takes a couple of hours to work out but once you have the settings sorted its easy enough to encode video for watching on the move or plugging through the in-laws telly to show those holiday movies.
Oh, and by the way, the GMINI is also a fantastic mp3 player and it looks so cool people will stop and look at it ... when does anyone say that about an ipod anymore?
In summary: the Archos GMINI 400 would have been a sound buy for me as a photo wallet .. or a CF card backup .. or an external hard drive .. or a portable video viewer .. or an mp3 player .. by being all these things it becomes the most amazing value for money gadget I've bought - ever !