Format: Audio CD|Change

on 25 March 2005
I was surprised on looking this up to see no other reviews. Never mind.
Aereogramme's third album marks a steady progression in the band's development. Fragile vocals over haunting melody and crashing guitar are what the Gramme are all about. I sometimes think of them as a cross between Radiohead and Metallica, though they've got their own distinct sound. At the moment, they're probably one my top 5 bands.
There isn't really a weak song on Seclusion. My only quibble is that there are only 6 songs; one of them is a cover (of a Flaming Lips song - no bad thing); and another is an instrumental (again, no bad thing). But the CD-rom element, for me, does not make up for the lack of tracks. That disappoints me enough to remove one star.
Still, 6 really great songs are better than 70 minutes of rubbish. Surely it's only a matter of time before people find about the Gramme? Or perhaps in a world where Franz Ferdinand are hailed as 'the current big thing' (and I'm a FF fan, by the way), the complexity of Aereogramme's music might just be a bit much for some.