Format: Audio CD|Change

on 12 October 2004
"We are not in the service of the devil, but sometimes I feel his sick breath on my behind." Devil or no, they must have sold their souls to someone cos the Blues Explosion just gets better and better. For me, it rivals Now I Got Worry as their best yet. This is music from a higher power.
For the uninitiated this is...how can I put it...hot and sweaty music. If you took Howlin' Wolf, Ten Years After and some early Stones, mixed with modern day elements like Beck, The Beastie Boys and some DJ production....you're kinda getting the idea.
If all I've done is confuse you, buy this album and you'll be a believer. Those that already know will recognise the JSBX range in full effect. From slow and moody in 'Spoiled' to the political rant 'Hot Gossip' (ably assisted by ChuckD), and in between....proper, sweaty, liquor-drinkin', serious entertainment in the forms of 'Crunchy', 'Help These Blues' and 'Fed Up and Low Down'.
This is my first review for Amazon, but I felt I had to spread the word. It this case the word is 'Damage' and you will see that it is good.
on 13 August 2015
The reviewers who have given this album 5 stars ought to hear all the rest of the Jon Spencer Blues Explosion's output and recognise it for how superior it is, to Damage. It's not surprising that this was their last one for 8 years as it sounds tired compared to their elemental output of the '90s, which seemed to channel pure, rock n roll like electricity. And the one from 2015: Freedom Tower - No Wave Dance Party 2015 is also excellent without a single dull moment.
on 28 November 2013
A wonderful disc - makes most other things seem rather tame. I wish I knew what the Spanish (?) reviewer is saying so that I could find out why he has only given it two stars. For me it's an easy five. Rawness and the energy are the primary colours here, and the funk factor emerges very effectively in places. And any disc with Jon Spencer on - Pussy Galore, Boss Hog, etc. - is always going to be interesting.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 April 2013
La portada esta despegada por la pegatina!! todo lo de mas esta bien.
el envió tardo mas de la fecha de entraga.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse