5.0 out of 5 stars a diamond in the rough!
Published on 4 Nov 2004 by Ms. J. Dent

3.0 out of 5 stars Good except for delay in taking pictures
Have had our camera for a couple of years now. Originally bought it because I had a Canon film SLR and it had the same functions on it (it can be used either as an automatic or manual). So in that respect it has been easy to get to know and use. Pictures are OK, but err towards the "snappy" side even on manual mode. My biggest gripe however, is that there is a delay...
Published on 25 Jan 2007 by Hooligan Peanut

5.0 out of 5 stars a diamond in the rough!, 4 Nov 2004
Ms. J. Dent (Warks) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Canon Powershot A85 Digital Camera [4Mp, 3x Optical] (Electronics)
Working with digital camera's every day I have a decent knowledge of most camera's available on the high street at the minute and I can honestly say that this is possibly the best. I personally own the A70 which I now couldnt live without. If you're buying your first digital camera I would highly reccommend this one. It's quick and easy to use and the results are splendid. A good all round camera that delivers a professional photograph.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent camera, great value and easy to use, 20 Sep 2004
This is a delightful little camera. I am so pleased with mine, and have taken thousands of photos in the month or so I have had it. It is packed with features, is reliable and has good build quality. It fits comfortably in my hand, and I think it looks great. It uses Compact Flash memory cards with are easy to use, and dirt cheap.
I would heartily recommend it to any one, especially at Amazons current price!

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality and value, 25 Jan 2005
Graham Phillips (Cambridge, UK) - See all my reviews
In giving this camera five stars, I am not saying it is the best camera available, only that it is as good as you could expect at this sort of price. It handles pretty well: chunky enough to hold on a cold day; reasonably fast focusing and shutter release (could be better), and the buttons and menus are easy enough to understand . A decent set of batteries will last for ages.
Picture quality is fine: you can get pin sharp 8 inch by 6 inch prints, and pretty good looking prints up to A4 size or even more. At the default settings the camera has a slight tendency to over-sharpen the image and over-saturate the colours. For most people most of the time these effects will result in good strong punchy prints. If you want to do your own post-processing in Photoshop then you can switch off the in-camera sharpening and opt for more subdued colours.
Kudos to Canon for providing a well-written printed manual rather than the disc-only PDFs that some other companies are getting away with these days. The manual is worth dipping into from time to time: there's a lot more to this camera than just point-and-shoot. You can start off with the fully automatic settings and gradually learn how to get more control.
You will need to get a bigger CF card. (I don't think that you will see any significant benefit in the more expensive high-speed cards, so go for size rather than speed). You will also need a set of good NiMH batteries (at least 2000 mAh) and charger, and possibly a case as well, so your total outlay will be more than the price shown. It's still good value, though, and I don't believe the A95 is worth the extra.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great camera at a very reasonable price!!!, 17 Sep 2004
After a lot of research for the last 4 months, I narrowed my choices to A85 and Kodak DX7440. Both cameras have a lot of features, both auto and manual controls, good LCDs, and from sample pictures I saw, quality of both is very good. I finally purchased the Canon because I like its shape and build quality better.
A85 is middle-sized, but can easily enough fit into a shirt pocket. The construction is pretty sturdy and buttons are well placed and of good quality. I like the LCD a lot, and I find it better than the Kodak's 2.2". It is very bright, of high resolution and its size is adequate for composing a picture with ease.
Picture quality is very good. Colours are natural and I like them more than Kodak's. The only thing that I miss is the option to increase the sharpness of the pictures. Kodak is a bit sharper. However, one can easily post-process the pictures in Photoshop and make them look as he desires.
Overall, the camera is great for its pictures, build quality, and features. The price is not at all high for such a piece of equipment. I recommend it to anyone who wants a camera with great quality, and does not want spend more than 200-230 pounds.

5.0 out of 5 stars Small wonder!, 11 Dec 2004
Ace images, palm size, and 90 cheaper than Argos!
Brilliant point and shoot mode, but plenty of manual over-rides for the more knowledgeable user. Best part of all is the Photo-stitch software for making 360 degree panoramas. This is irresistable fun - best if you use a tripod, though.
Be warned, however, 4 megapixel images eat up memory card space, so order a bigger compact flash card with your camera.

5.0 out of 5 stars Toys for grown-up boys (and girls), 6 Jan 2005
By A Customer
This is my first 'proper' digital camera, which I bought after having great fun with a tiny 'point and shoot' model. So far it has more than fulfilled all the promise of the various excellent reviews it was given in a number of camera magazines (which we can all read for free on the magazine racks of any supermarket).
It works faultlessly in automatic mode, which is perfect for my wife, who simply wants it for snapshots. But there are also a multitude of other settings for experimentation and more serious photography. The results have been excellent, even when printed out on my cheap computer printer and - as a relative newcomer - I am still charmed by my ability to delete all those awful shots that I used to have to pay to get developed and printed. The 4MP means that I am even getting good quality A4 prints.
In fact, there is enough power and variety in the technology to keep me interested and challenged for many a year I suspect. The most fun for me at present is the facility to 'stitch' photographs together - truly the nearest thing to adult Lego that I could imagine!
Are there any drawbacks? It is not beautiful to look at - but is wonderful to hold. It is very much designed for a right-handed person - but maybe all cameras are. I wish there was a more detailed battery level indicator so that one could use a little forethought when changing the batteries. [Batteries never go flat when you are taking a single photograph of something dull - only when it matters!] The screen is sometimes hard to see in bright light - but I was prepared for that.
If you do buy it, make sure you order it with a massive spare memory, couple of sets of rechargeable batteries and a charger - allow at least 40 on top of the basic price for this.
When I bought my camera I found a site selling it about 20 cheaper than Amazon - but with a free case, great prices on the memory, batteries and photo paper, and free delivery, Amazon still came out best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Canon Powershot A85, 11 Dec 2004
By A Customer
This camera is a fast and compact camera that gives high quality photos in all conditions. Not only is the camera quality excellent but the service was also of a very high standard. I would recommend this camera to both beginners in photography and also those who are aiming for advanced photography cameras.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for the asking price, 28 Sep 2005
By A Customer
The Canon PowerShot A85 is an excellent camera for the asking price. It's not that small or sleek but it handles brilliantly, takes sturdy, high-capacity and cheap CompactFlash memory, and AA batteries you can buy anywhere (we use 2300mAh NiMH cells, which last ages). My main grumbles would be that the optical viewfinder isn't very accurate (but I'm getting used to using the LCD now), and that the anti-redeye illuminator (just a bright yellow LED) really doesn't cut it. The main reason for choosing it over alternatives was its flexibility: it allows manual control of more or less everything, and has an accessory ring for filters etc. Oh, and it's a Canon, of course!

4.0 out of 5 stars Oh no it isn't (jumk), 2 Sep 2004
Jsy_John "jsy_john" (Jersey, Channel Isles) - See all my reviews
Just purchased, and found it responsive (once red-eye reduction was turned off) even with flash.
The focus-assist (green boxes) tell you what it's focussing on, and the pics in superfine mode seem very sharp and pixel free.
Not the smallest (or prettiest) of cameras, but feature packed and nice to hold and use - not too big to be obtrusive though.
Amazon's price is also spot on, and very good value for a 4 Megapixel camera. Have seen very good reviews of A70, and suspect that this camera will perform just as well once it's had time to be reviewed. Would recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent camera- except if you are E18'd, 20 Jun 2005
By A Customer
The Canon Powershot A85 is an excellent all-round camera. The autofocus feature is reliable, the picture quality is excellent, and there are a number of different modes for photography- a scenery mode, flash mode, firework mode, TV mode and more.
The camera is also very easy to carry around, being small enough to carry in a small case or even in trouser and coat pockets. You can also record up to 30 seconds of high quality movies.
So all in all, an excellent set of features for the price. However, the lens mechanism is very fragile, and there is a gap between the lens and the surrounding areas of the camera, allowing dust, sand etc. to penetrate into the camera's interior.
The lens mechanism is easily broken through abuse (dropping the camera, blocking the lens etc), and also through things like exposing the camera to dusty/sandy environments, big temperature changes, and also through internal malfunctions if any parts are faulty and/or wear out with time. In most cases, the camera will display "E18" and become unusable. This infamous "E18 Error" is as common on the A85 as most other Canon digital cameras.
You can reduce the chances of an E18 Error occurring by avoiding abusing the camera and avoiding taking photographs in dusty environments, but even so, the risk will always be there. On the other side of the coin, many people have owned Canon cameras for years without encountering the E18 error, and digital cameras made by at least some of the other brands commonly suffer from the same kind of lens problems. It's up to the prospective buyer as to whether the risk of getting an E18 error is worth taking.