Format: Audio CDChange

on 6 July 2007
You'd be forgiven for thinking Europes back catalogue was all substandard 'final countdown' soundalikes, especially if you bought the 'super hits' collection, which collects their formulaic later material.
One listen to either this or their self titled debut will make you think again. This is the sound of Europe before they broke big.
Kicking off with the epic 'stormwind', the album dosent let up with classic after classic of melodic metal. 'scream of anger', 'wings of tomorrow', 'wasted time', 'lying eyes' and 'dance the night away' are an embarrasment of riches, they're all catchy with good riffs, excellent solo's ( at the time the guitarist was touted as the next Malmsteem ) and a hazy wash of keyboards over the top which gives the album a consistent, icy chill.
And most of all......they ROCK! (ahem)
Theres also the obligatory ballads in 'open your heart' and 'dreamer', the former being excellent and the latter being possibly the only duff track on the album, which out of 10 isnt too shabby!
Oh yeah, the front and especially the back cover is excellent too.
If you like catchy melodic metal, with a good balance between riffs and harmonies ( which todays power metal bands often fail to achieve) then get this, youll love it!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 6 July 2008
Following on from their impressive self entitled debut, Swedish metal rock band Europe returned a year later in 1984 with 'Wings Of Tomorrow'.

Whilst it wasn't as a heavy as it's predecessor, it was a better album, and marks the beginning of what would become the band's trademark power ballads. I would say that 'Wings' was more contemporary, but obviously not as contemporary as their weaker, but breakthrough signature album 'The Final Countdown', which came two years later.

Things can off to a good start with 'Stormwind', and then we move onto 'Scream of Anger', which is perhaps the heaviest track on the album, and it wouldn't have sounded out of place on the debut. 'Dreamer' and 'Open Your Heart' are both excellent ballads, particularly the latter, which was later re-recorded and re arranged for Europe's fourth album 'Out Of This World'. 'Wings' also contains a nice oddity (for a Europe release), a nice instrumental called 'Aphasia', with guitarist John Norum at his masterful best.

Although it isn't as well known as it deserves to be, 'Wings of Tomorrow' is an album that a lot of more dedicated fans hale as a classic, and often comes as a surprise to those who are only familiar with the one song. Give it a go, and discover another side to the band.
on 10 April 2006
And most of all......they ROCK! (ahem)
Oh yeah, the front and especially the back cover is excellent too.
on 23 January 2014
I will admit to never being a big Europe fan in the 1980s - I was too busy bouncing around to Anthrax, Slayer and Metallica and they were just too lightweight for my (teenage) taste. However, my girlfriend got on at me to give this album a go and when I eventually gave in, I found it pretty good.

Enough about the past:

I got more into Europe over the years: I picked this album up for my wife earlier this year and though I would give it a wee spin - and I'm damn glad I did. What a classic album, full of melodies, driving melodies and probably the finest guitar work from John Norum.

I would agree with another reviewer that Dreamer isn't fantastic but the rest of the album is classic. My particular personal highlights are Treated Bad Again, Lyin' Eyes and Dance the Night Away. My only regret is that they don't play more of this album live when they tour these days but hey ho.

This is an album that I am delighted to have in my collection and you all should too - forget about the Final Countdown, this is a classic.
on 2 October 2011
This is what many believe was the last true Metal outing for this Swedish outfit before they sold out to the MTV Glam image (that would also be the reasoning behind Norum's departure during their next album's World Tour). 'Wings Of Tommorrow' is pure unpolished Heavy Rock with the same production feel as their self-titled debut a year earlier. The writing ability of each track has matured & the musicianship seems alot tighter & cleaner too. Tempest had even admitted this is his favourite Europe album he's recorded, & it's not hard to hear his understanding from the opening track to the closer. For any fan of Euro/Swedish Metal, or just Europe in general, this album is a must have to your collection. The only reason for not gaining a 5 star rating, is the production sound just still isn't as top notch as future recordings to come.
on 29 May 2012
Tracks like stormwind,scream of anger,open your heart and aphasia are so,so good.I'm a latecomer to Europe as such.I knew the hits from 86 but never paid much attention to the band,seeing as my tastes in the 80's didn't incorporate what I saw as mainstream rock,being a bit of a typical indie snob then.Having now gradually developed a better appreciation of all types of rock music I'm just gobsmacked by how much I like Europe now.It's weird.Is it me or does this music not sound dated like so many other musics from the 80's do.It's weird.
on 11 February 2013
One of those rare albums that doesn't sound dated even though it was made it early 80's. For anyone who thinks Europe are a 1-hit wonder (Final Countdown) I urge you to listen to their other albums. Start from the Dark is a very good album. I saw them in 2012 in Newcastle and they were "out of this world"!
on 1 September 2014