5.0 out of 5 stars Underated by many...
I first saw GENERATIONS as part of a "Trek Marathon" at the local cinema - films 5, 6 and GENERATIONS back to back. It may not sound much but believe me it was murder on the backside...
Published on 12 Jun 2005 by Mr P. D. Kinnear

3.0 out of 5 stars The Generation Gap
Released in 1994 and directed by David Carson, "Generations" is based on Star Trek The Next Generations, while at the same time also stars several characters from the original Star Trek (including William Shatner) and is an interesting cross over between the two different series.

Published on 6 Aug 2009 by Andrew Kerr

5.0 out of 5 stars Underated by many..., 12 Jun 2005
Mr P. D. Kinnear "Paul Kinnear" (Wirral, Cheshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Star Trek: Generations (Special Edition) [DVD] (DVD)
Still, it was worth it. Given the moans directed at the film by many critics (and even a few cast members!) I feared the worst, so was doubly delighted with the quality of the movie I actually saw. Never one to subscribe to the "only the even-numbered ones are good" theory, I revelled in the big screen adventures of characters who I'd grown to care about over their 7-year televsion stint and the plot, while riddled with holes, was a clever way of uniting two casts for a true "handing of the baton". People seem to forget that in a series like STAR TREK plots are merely a set up to explore the characters and their interactions with each other. For every problem GENERATIONS presented (Why was it impossible for Soren to simply fly into the Nexus, when that's how he got there in the first place?), we get superb character exploration as Picard faces (for the first time?) the inevitable truth of his own death. Unlike some reviewers I found the scenes of Patrick Stewart weeping for his lost family & future profoundly moving, while the "family" inside the Nexus were his perception of "perfection". If that can be interpreted as 'sacharine' then that's more an inditement of us as a culture than the scene itself.
My critisisms are minor: I certainly agree that as a send off for the original series cast, GENERATIONS was lacking. Obviously THE UNDISCOVERED COUNTRY is the "official" final TOS movie, but Kirk should have been dispatched with a little more consideration (if he had to die at all?). The appearance of the Enterprise B was a nice touch (I loved the champagne bottle lauch/opening secquence) but thought Captain Harriman seemed a little too nervous for the job.
Ultimately the film is about accepting our lot and facing the future with dignity, a staple of TREK "messages" (see also THE FINAL FRONTIER for such an example!). The film delivers this statement with passion and some staggeringly good set pieces (The Saucer crash is extraordinary!), so how it can be considered a failure by so many is beyond me. To this day the very final moments of the movie, as Picard and Riker bid farewell to the Enterprise D with grace and optimism, makes me go all misy-eyed and serve to remind us that humans aren't such a bad bunch after all.

4.0 out of 5 stars this is the best to date!, 11 Feb 2003
Well in my opinion this is the best one of all the next gen films, it offers alot for everyone, not just trek fans, as it has the old and the new in it, and everyone loved Kirk for one reason or another.
Patrick Stewart has about the biggest emotional range he has ever had in this film, and I can personally watch his scene with Troi in the first half of the film again and again, the acting is subtle and superb.
All the others make good, too, especially the old lads Scottie and Chekov.
If you ever thought that you liked Star Trek and wanna see some more, this is a great place to start. I recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Star Trek - Generations: A worthy revival, 27 Sep 2004
Mohammad A. Rahman (Wolverhampton, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Star Trek: Generations (Special Edition) [DVD] (DVD)
I was absolutely delighted to have gotten the all-new Special Edition of "Star Trek: Generations". I enjoyed this film when I first saw it at the cinema but consequently forgot about it in light of the superior "First Contact" and "Insurrection". "Generations" is worthy of a revival. The film is so much better than I remembered it to be. Superbly acted, well written and more than competently directed, "Generations" is enhanced further by a real treasure trove of bonus features, particularly the excellent featurettes about the origins of the film, cast and crew reminiscing, some lovely tributes to the dearly departed and an illuminating look at the creation of 24th century weapons, especially knives. Deleted scenes are presented in raw and unpolished form but that's a minor quibble. On the whole, the special edition of "Generations" is as good as the previous Trek movie specials. Outstanding.

4.0 out of 5 stars 'NOTHING IS REAL WITHIN THE 'NEXUS', 17 July 2014
rbmusicman (U.K) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This is probably the weakest of the 'Generation' films and to many controversial.
'Admiral James Kirk' and crew are now retired from active service.
A new crew are about to give the new 'Enterprise' a trial, 'Kirk' (William Shatner)
'Chekov' (Walter Koenig) and 'Scotty' (James Doohan) are invited to join the
maiden flight, a short trip around 'Jupiter' and back, however during the early stage
of the flight the crew intercept a distress call, which after deliberation they respond
to, being the closest vessel.
The ship has not yet even been armed, they encounter a 'Nexus' in which the stricken
vessel is trapped, before they can assist the vessel is torn apart within the 'Nexus'
very soon after 'The Enterprise' is in trouble 'Kirk' in an effort to save passengers
sacrifices his own life ?
Seven decades on the 'Enterprise' name continues on the new generation of 'Star-Ships'
'Jean Luc Picard' Captains the Ship, times have changed down the years, a 'Klingon'
is now a key crew member 'Worf' (Michael Dorn) among the leading crew members a
virtual life like robot 'Data' (Brent Spiner) Second in Command 'Riker' (Jonathan Frakes)
these just a hanfull of the Generations crew.
A rogue 'Klingon' vessel is under the spell of 'Doctor Soran' 'Enterprise' crew-member
has been taken captive 'Picard' offers himself as a hostage by way of exchange, the
stipulation is that 'Picard' wants to go face to face with 'Soran' (Malcom Mcdowell) on the
planet 'Mridian 3' where 'Soran' is close to completing an 80 year obsession to harness
the power of the 'Nexus' if he succeeds the Solar System will self destruct when it's Sun
implodes.
Can 'Picard' stop 'Soran' ? as the procedure completes, the future and past is trapped
within the phenomenon, 'Picard' finds himself at a home he'd never had, nearby he comes
across a man chopping wood,, it's 'James Kirk' who had been trapped within the 'Nexus'
doing the same thing over and over again since the 'Enterprise' encounter with the 'Nexus'
80 years past.
'Picard' asks 'Kirk' to help him stop 'Soran' realizing the 'Nexus' was both past and future,
so they are able to return to a time before the power had been captured.
Of course the 'Generations' series had been running on TV ....with this four movie-series
we encounter new enemies and new adventures..........'Star-Trek' alive and well.
Special Features -
* Commentary by Director 'David Carson' and 'Manny Cole'
* Scoring Trek HD
* Next Generation flashback - 'Andrew Probert HD
* Stellar Cartography on Earth HD
* 'Brent Spiner' - 'Data' and beyond part '1' HD
* Trek Roundtable - Generations HD
* Starfleet Academy - Trilithium HD
Blu-ray Exclusives -
* Library Computer I.Q (BD Live)
* Plus over three hours of previously released content.
Thoughts on 'William Shatner's' exit.
Was it necessary for 'Kirk' to die ?
I look at it this way, 'William Shatner' had played the lead role alongside 'Leonard Nimoy' for many
years both in the long running TV series and the Movie-series.
The old crew needed to be replaced by a younger crew to continue the popular series, I suppose
'Kirk' could have been given a role within 'Starfleet Command' stationed in one of the central
bases, however that really would have been a bit-part only featuring occasionally.
Having been a leading light for so long I doubt that 'William Shatner' would have been content with
such a role....so I guess, though I know many didn't approve, the character had to be killed off
sadly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Conclusion to The Next Generation, 5 July 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Star Trek: Generations (Special Edition) [DVD] (DVD)
Generations has a great storyline, mixing the worlds of The Original Series and The Next Generation.
While it may not feel like a proper movie, as opposed to a glorified Next Generation episode, I found this to be a fitting end to the popular series, giving birth to the more movie-like First Contact that came after.
It also paved the way for Lt. Worf's move to Deep Space Nine, and an excuse to make a new Enterprise for the next movie. It also brought some closure to the on-going story arcs set in the series involving Guinan (played superbly by Whoopi Goldberg) and the infamous Duras sisters of the Klingon Empire.
We also get to see the fate of Kirk!
If you watch and have been buying the DVD sets of The Next Generation, then consider this movie the series finale and add it to your collection.
The three movies that follow, First Contact, Insurrection and Nemesis all have a different tone to the series, and should be considered a stand-alone trilogy from the series, kind of like The Next Generation Next Generation.

4.0 out of 5 stars Star Trek at its finest (no I'm not crazy), 23 Sep 2000
I reliased how much I've grown to admire the crew of the USS Enterprise when I first watched this film. When the ship crashes on Veridian III and you see the survivors of the crash standing on the crashed saucer section just as the planet is ripped apart, my first thought was 'Oh my God, they just killed the crew'.
The integrity and community of the crew comes to the fore in this film and with the exception of the Data subplot, is incredibly written and acted. The scenes in Captain Picard's quarters when he learns of his brother's death is some of the most heart-felt acting I've seen.
Definitly one film that will live long and prosper (brain - 'Thats it Im outta here!')

4.0 out of 5 stars An appointment with Blavatsky, 23 Aug 2014
“Star Trek Generations” is a somewhat uneven film, bringing together James Kirk from the original Star Trek franchise and Jean-Luc Picard from The Next Generation. Both are pitted against a mad alien scientist named Soran, who desperately wants to get back to the Nexus, a kind of fake heaven where all dreams and wishes get fulfilled. Soran is ready to kill millions of innocent civilians to reach his goal. The plot also features Klingon renegades Lursa and B'Ethor and the mysterious Guinan (starred by Whoopi Goldberg). And, of course, the annoying android Mr Data trying to become more human...

Probably not the best choice of entertainment if you don't like Star Trek, but quite good if you do. Personally, I'm fascinated by the Nexus. It strongly reminds me of Madame Blavatsky's description of Devachan in “The Key to Theosophy”. Perhaps the wise lady Guinan is supposed to be Blavatsky? Yes, yes, I'm speculating wildly... Still, the parallel is intriguing!

Due to this unexpected similarity with the West's very own underground religion, I give “Generations” four stars, although it really only deserves three, or perhaps just two if you're completely uninterested in Trekdom. After all, the film contains many references meaningful only to Star Trek fans. I mean, who outside devout viewers of the TNG series know about Lursa and B'Ethor?

As for myself, I feel a bit like Soran. I just can't get the Nexus out of my mind. “I have an appointment with eternity, captain, and I don't want to be late”.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Generation Gap, 6 Aug 2009
Andrew Kerr (Scotland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

The film begins in the time of James T. Kirk, and we are taken aboard the newly commissioned U.S.S. Enterprise B. Kirk along with Scotty and Chekov (all original Star Trek characters and actors) are along for the ride and are described as "three living legends" by the Enterprises somewhat inexperienced Captain. Shortly into the ships first mission a distress call is received by two ships transporting "El-Aurian" refugees who are caught in some sort of subspace ribbon which is tearing them apart. Due to the fact that the new Enterprise is still missing some of it's critical components such as proton torpedoes, tractor beam, and no medical staff, Captain Harriman is initially reluctant to come to their aid stating that the Enterprise is in "no shape for a resume mission." Nevertheless thanks to the intervention by Captain Kirk they are able to rescue some of the survivors on board, however with the apparent tragic death of one of the living legends. Seven decades later we are onboard the Enterprise D, which we came to know through watching Star Trek The Next Generation. From here a Federation Observatory comes under attack by the Romulans searching for an experimental substance. One of the survivors from the attack is Doctor Soran (Malcolm McDowell) who was also on board one of the El-Aurian ships all those years ago. It emerges that Doctor Soran is desperate to return to the Nexus (the ribbon encountered by the Enterprise B) a reality where time and space has no meaning and everything is a personal paradise. He is willing to do whatever is necessary to return including destroyed a populated solar system. It's up to Captain Picard to stop him but he can't do it alone.

While the plot had plenty of promise I found it to be ultimately flawed. There are a number of plot holes left open by the end of the film, and a number of subplots that don't get answered. An example of such is the kidnapping and of La forge by Doctor Soran, there is no real explanation offered, and it seems rather convenient that this random event allows Soran to realize (a lot) later in the film that he actually has a use for him. Often the film seems disjointed and many aspects and ideas seem to have been conveniently created just for the sake of being added into the film to allow the film to actually work.

I felt that the trailers for the film gave far too much of the plot away, while at the same time was also misleading. I'm sure that I'm not the only one who believed that William Shatner was going to play a bigger part throughout the film as opposed to just the beginning and the end.

One aspect that I hated was the idea that the Federation flag ship with massive defensive systems can be defeated so easily by someone reading a short series of numbers from a computer panel. It would be like having all of your passwords written on a post-it note and stuck to your monitor for all to see. This seems insulting considering how much the ship has survived over the years.

What I don't like is the trend that the Star Trek films and even the television series have of reusing old footage. One of the biggest scenes in the film (the destruction of a Klingon ship) is a recycled scene from the earlier Star Trek The Undiscovered Country film, and that same scene is also used in Deep Space Nine several times.

There are several releases of Star Trek Generations on DVD, the original release that I own is very disappointing with absolutely no special features and a very basic menu structure. There is now a release of the film offering a number of special features such as deleted scenes. I would recommend trying to buy the latter for it's increased entertainment value.

Thankfully it wasn't all bad. The acting from the experienced cast is as excellent as expected. Patrick Stewart and William Shatner and definitely noteworthy and work well together. Data is far more human (thanks to the introduction of an emotion chip) and is a great to watch, and many of his one liners add a comical element to the film. Malcolm McDowell delivers a great performance as the bad guy. However I felt that his character wasn't the greatest. His motives were clear but are based on grief and desire more than anything else. The idea the this otherwise brilliant scientist would kill millions just to return to The Nexus seems slightly unlikely and combined with his somewhat tame character makes a rather tame and understated character.

The battle between the Enterprise D and the Klingon Bird Of Prey was entertaining and rather spectacular in terms of special effects.

I found the picture quality throughout the film excellent, as good use has been made of lighting effects such as the glow from a star filtering through the Enterprises windows.

The ending of the film was generally good (sadly due to the trailer and marketing of the film I knew what to expect) however in anyway it seems like it was used only to kill one of the characters.

While I enjoy Star Trek in all it's forms I'm not a hardcore Trekkie, and I expect that many more dedicated fans would enjoy the film more than I would. Personally however while it does have it's moments, Star Trek Generations has to many failings and disappointments for my taste, I felt that the next Star Trek film First Contact was far superior.

4.0 out of 5 stars I admit it; I cried, 24 April 2008
WARNING: THAR BE SPOILERS

I am the first to admit that I'm not a hardcore Trekkie, only singling out episodes with Data or Chekov in important roles to watch. But the promise of both Data AND Chekov in one movie was way too tempting, and the out-of-character craze inducing emotion chip Data uses sealed the deal. So I went out and bought the film on an impulse-buy shopping spree to help my mood.

I was not disappointed.

Generations, I would imagine, had an iffy reception being one of the odd-numbered films, and a lot of the major plot doesn't come until around the middle. What plot there is, however, is enticing, and incredibly exciting. You do have the niggling feeling that you know everything will turn out all right - it IS a Star Trek film after all. But the epic fight between the two captains and the insane Dr Soran will have you on the edge or your seat.

And I admit, at the end of that sequence, though I'm not a fan of Captain Kirk, I shed more than a few tears.

Thankfully, there is comic relief in the form of Data being extremely out-of-character due to the emotion chip. This device also serves as a philosophical discussion fuel between Data and Picard, and as a viewer, you come away from his movie with some thoughts to chew over. This is what I like and look for in a film.

All in all, Star Trek Generations is a powerful and moving piece of cinema, though it could have either been made longer, or moved a little faster in the beginning in order for the story to come across a little more clearly.

4.0 out of 5 stars Rediscovered Gem, 4 Mar 2005
This review is from: Star Trek: Generations (Special Edition) [DVD] (DVD)
When this movie first came out i felt it was a bit of a let down. However, in hindsight i now know that the weight of expectation was so great that the final product could never live up to it.
Watching the movie now and i can appreciate it for what it is. a great movie which bridges the two generations in a clever, and touching way. the story is very good, with all the characters being used well, which is never easy when there are 7 main characters.
there are some minor gripes (eg. the enterprise is destroyed a bit too easily, but the fact it was destroyed is a very dramatic point in the film, and the crash-landing on the planet is better then any white knuckle ride i've ever been on). but these are only minor. Overall, this is an entertaining movie well worth another watch.
this special edition does have some nice extras all worth a watch.

Star Trek: Generations (Special Edition) [DVD]