on 5 September 2005
I have both a DS and now a PSP, here's a quick guide to the pro and cons of the PSP
The Pro's
1. The 3d graphics are excellent for a hand held. I have yet to see a DS game come close, in comparison they look cartoonish
2. The extra features are brilliant. MP3's, movies from both UMD and memory stick. These are coming too for the DS with a new add on but it's a little too late. Plus it's SD only, so you'll have to break copyright law to view movies
3. The games are more adult and different. The DS seems to be stuck in the same rut you had with the colour and advance. The touch screen ones are fun for about 10 minutes, then constantly making yourself look like an idiot gets a little stale.
4. The controls are better, the touch screen DS is cool but it's virtually useless as a controller. It's too hard to hold the unit, press the buttons AND use the touch screen. The PSP's analogue stick is far more useful
5. Wireless Internet browser. With the UK units you get version 2 firmware on the demo disk. This includes a wonderful, easy to use web browser. It is a little fiddly with wide web pages but I've read email and posted forum comments. I've even used a commercial hot spot at a train station to get broadband style Internet access!
Again, This is being worked on for the DS but is a little late. The wireless has a little hardware switch to save battery. This is done in software on the DS and makes you re-start the system when you enable/disable, a real pain.
6. The thing looks beautiful. The DS is OK but looks like an early game and watch, the PSP is definitely more adult and a little more snazzy. It's also easier to hold as you don't have the awkward weight of the fold up screen
7. The screen is HUGE, well lit and very colourful. The DS's 2 screen are nice but are underpowered. I always have trouble seeing the image under strong or spotlights.
The Cons
1. Because of the CD like UMD's, it takes a lot of power and reduces the play time, a portable charger or spare battery (easily swappable) is a really good purchase. The DS kills in this with its great battery life.
2. Movies and MP3's off the memory card are cool but the bundled 32mb card is only useful for save games and larger sticks get expensive. It also comes with no conversion software or USB cable. However, the cables generic so they're cheap and you probably already have one. A quick Google finds some freeware video conversion apps.
3. The bundled accessories are very nice, especially the inclusion of the very iPod looking white remote and headphones but they have a really cheap feel about them and, I'm sorry... White headphones with a black unit... The few that came with the DS felt a little more professional.
4. Data input. The PSP uses a mobile (cell) phone type key layout and is frustrating to use. The DS wins hands down thanks to the touch screen (just a shame there's no web or email that would really make this shine.)
Overall, the PSP kills the DS in most respects. I don't expect that to hold too long as Nintendo will come back and level the field.
I would however warn people that this is a GAMES console, not a media machine. If you are not a gamer, there are far cheaper methods than the PSP. Memory Sticks are still overly expensive compared to their rivals and UMD movies can cost more than standard DVD's. If you want mobile movies, go for a small portable DVD player, you can use normal disks home and on the go. IF you want an MP3 player, go for an iPod. If you want a portable multimedia system go for a Archos AV device
4 Stars cause I'm loving it!
on 1 April 2005
I impoted a PSP from Japan and recieved it a few days ago. In 2 days me, my brother and his girlfriend have racked hours and hours of gameplay. The PSP looks and feels like a seriously expensive piece of kit and for all the functions it has the £190 I paid seems like a steal. I'll try and review it by considering its main points:
Game Graphics 10/10:
The Graphics are simply superb, easily as good as PS2. Risge racers is absolutely beuiful and even with 5 cars and an aeroplane on screen the frame rate is extremely high and speed never drops. The backgrounds and levels are amazingly detailed.
Game Controls 9/10:
The buttons are ultra responsive and really easy on the fingers. Lumines, for example, requires precise movements and the PSP D-pad doesn't dissopoint. The analogue stick is slightly low down and I often opt for the d-pad but it feels smooth and precise.
Load times 9/10:
I really haven't noticed any excessive load times. Lumines loads in seconds and Ridge racers takes only a little linger (about 30 seconds initially and 5-10 seconds to load a race). Vampire Chronicles takes about the same as Ridge racers which seems weird as it's a "less complex" game.
Movie Play back 10/10:
I downloaded some software from [...] which converted a 68mb avi music video to 20mb mp4 file which played on the psp amazingy well. The fast forward/rewind work great and pressing triangle displays a list of selectable commands such as stop, pause, etc. and yo can also zoom in to fill the screen or make it wide screen.
MP3 playback 8.5/10:
The sounds quality is excellent and the songs are very easy to find and play. The psp is slightly large to use a portable mp3 player but it's a great feature for Plane, train or bus trips.
Overall build quality 10/10:
The system is very well built and sturdy and the screen is HUGE. I have no problems that some other PSP owners have such as deap pixels etc but apparently less than 1% of PSP's are affected. The only preoblem is it's so gorgeous you might be too scared to take it out the house :) .
So, for all the functions of the PSP, amazing power, great controls and excellent line up of games including Wipeout, Ridge racers, Lumines and twisted Metal; there really isn't any reason not to buy a PSP whether you're a casual or hardcore gamer.
on 1 December 2005
The PSP seams to be a step forward in gaming. Perosnaly i would rate it 5 stars, but if i was searching through all the reviews then i wouldn't bother with reviews that just say excelent excelent excelent. The PSP seams to have gone for the new age type games that you would expect to find on a PS2 whereas the DS has all the classics (eg. Mario, Zelda, Wario and Pokémon). The DS is clever with its touch screen but the games seam to be too much like GBA games (of which a GBA SP i already own). The PSP is like a MP3 Player, MP4 player, Portable movie player, Portable internet browser and Handheld console. Buying an MP3 Player, DS and portable DVD player would cost around the £350-£400 mark whereas the PSP (+ 1gb memory card) is around £250. All-in-all i think the PSP is better and half the poeple i know with DS's wish they had bought a PSP instead.
on 10 September 2005
I got my PSP on the 1st september and have not been able to put it down The quality of the screen is amazing!!! watching the UMD films and playing games has been a real pleasure. My PS2 has not been used since i got my PSP. The battery life appeard to be excellent, i have be ngetting between 8-10 hours between charges,and the build quality appears to be excellent. The bit i really like is the autosave. If you turn the machine of it starts up exactley where you left off. I work for the emergency services and have to go out at short notice so this feature is really useful.
On the down side the films arn't cheep but im sure they will come down in price as time goes on. And due to the colouring of the casing finger prints do tend to show up a lot, although it does come with a useful claening cloth.
Overall this is an excellent piece of equipment, and i would recomend it to anyone who likes gameing.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I must say that it is the best thing that i have ever bought in my life. After a seven month wait, i recieved it on the 2nd of September. This had completely relieved me of my frustrating agony to get my hands on a PSP, as i call it (Pretty Sleek Portable). And then replaced my frustration with hyperactiveness (i'm hoping that hyperactiveness is a word), i charged it up and flicked the power switch, it only took me 2 and a half minutes to set the clock, date, settings etc. And it was lovely to see the PSP logo appear accompanied by a short piece on a classical guitar. The screen was big and bright, but not as big and bright as my smile was as i inserted Ridge Racer into the UMD Port on the back. There were all the buttons and more from the PS2 controller except for L2 and R2, but that didn't matter. It even had a small thumbstick which, at first, i thought was a speaker. As i started to play the game, it was like starting up a game up in my bedroom on my Xbox, but instead, i could play while sitting downstairs with my parents. The graphics were amazing, truly 3d, and it was a dream to control, also the sound was imperfect or in another word - unbeleivable. i now knew that i could take a Ps2 in my pocket literally, wherever i want to and whenever i want to. The gaming experience was intense, unlike the gameboy advance where it is 2D and has an annoying polyphonic soundtrack on every single game. But on the PSP, i also have Grand Theft Auto - Liberty City Stories. And as soon as i started it up, i knew it was a true GTA game. With cutscenes, dialogue and great visual display and graphics, huge worlds to explore and plenty to do. Every thing that you can do on Vice City you can do on LCS:- Roam around huge islands, steal cars and respray them to new colours and even smash them up with a hammer, kill anybody with fists, hammer, baseball bat, axe, chainsaw, pistol, magnum, shotgun, SMGs and even Miniguns and flamethrowers, and much more weapons, complete more than 80 main missions and loads of side missions like races and finding hidden packages. The PSP really does let you do anything at all, and not just with games, you can watch films with a large screen and great sound, also if you have the right stuff, store films onto your PSP memory stick, as you can with music. I also have a 1GB memory stick, which i also bought from play.com (sorry amazon). This particular memory stick can hold up to 250 songs, 15,000 photos, and about 2-3 films, and a hell of alot of game data. I advise you to get a 1GB memory stick if you do not already have one. reading.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
So many people are comparing the PSP to the DS - Why? They are not remotely similar machines or at the same price bracket so trying to compare is ridiculous! I have both machines: DS for the fab games such as Pokemon, Zelda and Super Mario and PSP for the graphics which really suits driving and sports games - although I'd like a bit more variety in the games please, especially good quality RPGs.
THE DISPLAY on the PSP is awesome - like holding a PS2 in your hands but better as the smaller graphics are crystal clear. It has 3 backlight options and I've had no problems with reflection or being able to see the screen - possibly if you sit out in broad daylight but personally I like to sit somewhere comfortable indoors.
BATTERY LIFE is adequate. It's not brilliant but mine keeps going for 4-5 hours before a charge is required which is enough for most journeys and if not, you can get a spare battery so it's really not a big deal that some people make out. Most of the time I sit near a plug point anyway.
THE CONTROLS may take a bit of getting used to but the analog stick is very slick and super responsive - perfect for games like wipeout where you need major control.
DOWNSIDES only very minor points really. The high gloss surface looks fab but does get thumbprints all over very easily - saying that you get a cloth in the value pack which keeps it nice and clean. The sound is the biggest negative as it simply doesn't go loud enough for my taste although it is very clear.
I won't class the price as a downside as personally I feel that this machine is worth twice the price - it's a very class pice of equipment and a solid build. I've only reviewed the gaming side as personally I'm not interested in the rest, when you have an ipod for mp3's, why would you want a much heavier and less portable PSP to hold your music collection? Those options are really there for people who haven't any alternative.
If you don't have one, you should go any buy one - I think it will end up as the ultimate in portable gaming.
on 5 September 2005
I have owned a lot of games consoles in my time from the Atari 2600 to the Xbox (although not PS2) but few have impressed me as much as the Sony PSP. I actually bought mine about 3 months ago when i was in America. I have 4 games (Wipeout, Ridge Racer, Lumines and Spiderman 2) and the quality of the graphics is stunning. It is just like playing a PS2 on a handheld. I am a big fan of the Wipeout games and this version is fantastic, almost equally Wipeout 2097 on PS1. Ridge Racer is also a superb addition to the series. The game that has really hooked me is Lumines though. The standard mode is good but the Puzzle Mode is incredibly addictive. Highly recommended to anyone who likes their games a little more cerebral. The less said about Spiderman 2 the better. The 4 hour battery time is fine for me because i only ever play in 30-60min sessions and the fact that its handheld means i can play it in any room of the house. Overall this is a great piece of hardware which has surpassed my expectations.
on 17 February 2006
I imported my psp from the usa and was quite anxious waiting for it to arrive. I wondered if it would be worth the amount of money I payed for it but when it arrived I was astounded with the quality of the whole package. I use all the psp's multimedia capabilities, mp3s, films, photos, internet, gaming and every aspect is superb.
Firstly the games. Gaming on the PSP is quite incredible, the graphics are brilliant and you are absorbed in the games within an instant. The variety of games are amazing unlike the DS which is not in the same league. Gta Lcs is my favourite game and is brilliant, it is highly addictive and entertaining.
Mp3's and films. The sound quality on the psp is very impressive with a good set of headphones and great for travelling. I use the music player all the time and with my 1 gb memory card there is loads of music I can store. The film quality is also brilliant although it is quite difficult to transfer dvds into mp4 format and onto the psp for free. You just need to look around a bit and find a different guide and then you can revel in the mulitmedia capabilities. The picture quality is also superb.
Internet
With the aid of a wireless internet connection you will be able to acess the web via your psp and with its high quality internet browser this is a great way for finding info on your favourite sites.
The psp is definatley the best amount of money i ever spent. It provides endless entertainment and is definatley the best handheld ever produced. Here are my ratings:
Games: 10/10
Sound quality: 8.5/10
Graphics: 10/10
Battery life: 6/10
Valvue for money: 10/10
Buy one and you wont regret it!!!!!!!
on 5 September 2005
I was long a nintendo and gameboy fanboy and had an original gameboy and the newer advance version. However was not convinced by the DS and so opted to wait for the PSP, a superb decision incidently.
For starters, the graphics on the system truly blew me away, especially due to the superb screen, however mine came with no dead pixels so how that affects the quality i'm not sure.
Many complain about the battery life however, i have not found it a problem especially as you can buy car adapters and additional battery packs although at more expense adding to the overall cost. It does as many say, last around four hours whilst playing games.
Quite surprisingly connection to the internet was very easy. I already had a wanadoo wireless system set up so I just needed to type in a few security numbers and i was away. This is not a machine ideal for viewing web pages as loading takes a while however i downloaded extra wipeout content without fuss and occasional web browsing is satisfactory.
The PSP only comes with a 32mb memory card which is fine for storing games and a couple of video clips however these are hard to come by due to the mpeg4 format.
I do not believe that the UMD movie format will take off due to the high DVD like prices despite the fact that it would be useful to be able to view films on the move. Maybe the bargain bin will be a good option.
The games that were launched were of high quality with plenty of depth with many more quality looking titles such as GTA still to be released.
To me this is the ultimate portable console (a comment i never thought i would say) although i do not have a DS and so cannot pass judgement on it. All i can say is that i am very pleased with my purchase despite faults such as the fairly high price and slightly short battery life. These faults go almost un-noticed however due to the quality of the console and it's software along with the many functions that it has.
on 11 December 2005
The PSP is an impressive piece of equipment, especially considering it is Sony's opening foray into the handheld console market. It genuinely is a portable Playstation, which is both good and bad. If you love your PS2 (and its games) then you'll appreciate the PSP, but the games to date are really just re-workings of the current PS2 games. Although a portable Pro Evo machine is no bad thing.
The 4.3 inch widescreen screen is pin-sharp and undeniably impressive, there are often a few 'dead pixels' but in spite of this it is still a joy to behold. However, the screen is easily marked and could get scratched quite easily, so it can't be just thrown into a rucksack unprotected.
The battery life is not great, (3-5 hours depending on usage) so the AC adaptor will need to be kept nearby. But for a short flight/ train journey it's adequate.
The PSP is being marketed as a multimedia device, which is questionable. True, it can play music, video clips, and store photos, but this will entail the purchase of a memory card. So at least an additional £60 will need to be spent for a 1gb card. For a multimedia device, and given the machine's price, Sony really should have included a reasonably sized internal hard disk. The included 32mb card (with the value pack) is only sufficient for saving game data.
Firmware version 2.0 (and above) provides a web browser, but makes running most homebrew applications impossible (although a way around this may soon be found).
The PSP has got the wow-factor, but it does have some profound design flaws and lacks the innovative and original games that the Nintendo DS can proudly display (e.g. Nintendogs). The PSP is a solid debut for Sony in the handheld arena, but I hope they address the issues with their first effort in their later incarnations.