5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome !!!
Published on 22 Oct 2004 by kc120

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not his best
Published on 22 Sep 2004 by timlondon02

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome !!!, 22 Oct 2004
This review is from: My Own Best Enemy (Audio CD)
Ive grown up listening to Richard Marx. After hearing Hold On To The Nights for the first time in my teens I remember thinking wow !!!, then searching high & low to find out who the hell it was singing this melodic, heart wrenching ballad. Since then ive bought every one of Richards albums, seen him live at the DeMountford Hall in Liverpool on the Repeat Offender tour ( I remember when all the mic's went down and he sang and played piano TOTALLY Unplugged holding the audience in the palm of his hand... what a talent !!! ).My Own Best Friend one has got to be one of Richard's better albums. As he has grown, you can hear the maturity of his voice as well as in the songwriting. Every song is worth an extended listen. For anyone who hasn't had the opportunity of hearing Richard, (Right Here Waiting anybody...remember him now !!) this album is a must listen. Classic AOR at its best.

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING!!, 16 May 2005
This review is from: My Own Best Enemy (Audio CD)
I'M A HUGE RICHARD MARX FAN I'VE ORDERED ALL HIS CDS FROM AMAZON I HAD THIS ONE TODAY AND IT'S AMAZING!...RICHARD HAS MATURED FROM THE "RUSH STREET" DAYS THIS BETTER THAN MY FAVE RICHARD MARX CD "PAID VACATION" ONLY JUST!! BUY NOW IF YOU LIKE HIM..QUALITY CD FROM AN AWESOME SINGER SONGWRITER

5.0 out of 5 stars Well done Richy!, 12 April 2005
This review is from: My Own Best Enemy (Audio CD)
Great new sound, great new songs, if you're into the guy you must purchase. Expect the sound to be a little softer than Rush street and he does'nt push his voice as much but you can't fault it.

5.0 out of 5 stars it arrived on time and in good condition, 7 Nov 2013
This review is from: My Own Best Enemy (Audio CD)
it arrived on time and in good condition and is a really good album and now I have most of Richard Marxs albums

5.0 out of 5 stars My own best enemy, 6 Jun 2011
This review is from: My Own Best Enemy (Audio CD)
I have been a fan of Richard Marx for many years. When I saw this album on Amazon I ad to buy it. It was as good as good all his other albums.

5.0 out of 5 stars my own best enemy, 23 April 2011
This review is from: My Own Best Enemy (Audio CD)
I bought this cd a few weeks back, and just love it. If you are a fan of richard marx then I would recommend this cd, only probelm I found was my cd player has trouble reading it, so it can take a few goes, but is fine once it starts playing. That is probably my player not the cd. It's great worth every penny.

5.0 out of 5 stars One Of His Best, 11 July 2007
This review is from: My Own Best Enemy (Audio CD)
I was a fan of Richard Marx's music from the 80's when he had big hits such as Hazard, Take This Heart, etc, but lost touch with his music in recent years and so when I heard about this more current album I had to buy it. I'm so glad I did because it's such a great album and there are many tracks on it which equal, if not better, the hits he had in the 80's. His voice has lost none of its unique quality and he still manages to surprise me with how one minute he can sing crystal clear and soft, as on Falling (which is a beautiful, moving ballad), and then morph into raspier, more edgy vocals the next minute, which is one of the reasons I have always loved his voice. This is an album which is bursting with great songs, any one of which could have been released as a single. The fact that he has in recent years written music for many other artists is no surprise as he is a great songwriter and musician. I had no idea that he had co-written Dance With My Father, the Luther Vandross song, which is a lovely, heartbreaking song. When You're Gone, is a fantastic, more up-tempo, slightly twangy song, with the accompaniment of guitars and backing vocals by Keith Urban, yet is still very moving with lines such as "Who's gonna dry my tears when I'm crying, who's gonna hold my hand when I'm dying, who's gonna set me right when everything is wrong, who's gonna love me when you're gone." He manages somehow to write some of the most heart-wrenching ballads I have ever heard. This is one album where it's hard to pick out standout tracks because all of them are, so anyone who has been a fan of Richard Marx's music in the past, or anyone who just appreciates great musicianship and songwriting, should definitely add this album to their collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Richard Does It Again - better than ever!, 3 Aug 2004
T. Nixon "Terri Nixon" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Own Best Enemy (Audio CD)
This album is destined to be one of the absolute greats. From the most touching of ballads like "Falling" to the clearest "play it loud" rocker on the album; "Colder" - every song is a winner. Each is steeped in Richard's inimitable style, and his voice has become even better over the years; the uplifting and wonderful "Ready To Fly" is an easy candidate for another Grammy for this astonishing talent. It soars with passion and power, pitch perfect and beautiful all the way. There are many songs on this album that will make excellent singles, but some of them are going to be special in other, sometimes more important ways.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fresh and modern sound, 3 Sep 2004
This review is from: My Own Best Enemy (Audio CD)
Richard Marx is back! Actually he never really left and this record proves his incredible talant.
This album has a number of great songs that vary in mood and tempo.
Upbeat tracks include "Colder", which sounds a bit like a Busted meets McFly song - but better, "When You're Gone - the new single and "Everything Good" which has an easy summer feel about it.
Richard is renowned for his ballad "Right Here Waiting" and his other famous hit from the 90's - "Hazard". There are more excellent ballads on this album which sound more modern (almost Coldplay in style), but maintain that great "Richard" melody.
This album should return Richard Marx back onto the international stage once again as an artist. He has previously written songs for other artists including Luther Vandross, NSYNC (This I Promise You) and SHEDaisy.
Lets hope people like the new sound, I do, and would certainly recommend it as a great album with a rocker edge. You heard it here first and hopefully I will be right - he deserves the success following the award (Best Songwriter) he won last year with Luther and his dedication to song writing, production and more importantly his vocal talent.
Buy it! and let the nation, Rock with Richard!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not his best, 22 Sep 2004
This review is from: My Own Best Enemy (Audio CD)
I'm a huge fan of Richard Marx, and have been for years and years. I own all his records, including lots of rare material and b-sides, and I'm sorry to say that this is the worst album Richard has ever done. Don't get me wrong, it's still better than most of the dross littering today's record stores, but if you're not a hardcore Marx fan, don't bother with this. Choose Flesh and Bone or Rush Street instead.
The album is consistent, in the sense that most of the songs sound very similar and like they were recorded in the same session. The only track that stands out from the crowd - Colder -unfortunately doesn't match Richard's vocal range, and sounds like it was written for some faux-grunge popstar like Avril Lavigne or to get on to the Smallville soundtrack or something.
I was especially disappointed to find such a short album, which when you consider that one of the songs - Someone Special - was also on the previous album (and it's not even a new version) is also Richard's shortest album since Repeat Offender (given that the UK releases normally included 3 extra tracks).

My Own Best Enemy
My Own Best Enemy by Richard Marx (Audio CD - 2009)