5.0 out of 5 stars Open your eyes
I had seen a video of the song 'Open Your Eyes' on MTV2 and I instantly liked it. I thought I'd take a gamble on it and immediately bought the album.

I listened to about half of the album to begin with and gave up. I have since given it another try and listened to the whole album. Let me tell you one thing. This album will blow your mind.

The only...
Published on 1 Jun 2006 by Dafydd Jones

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but...
I prefer their follow up 'Blackbird'. This record is good and as mentioned contains a variety of styles although many of the tracks are a little bit 'Dawson's Creek' for me - soaring ballads, minor keys and 'clench fist' soulful moments where you expect to see a video of a man playing a guitar in the rain in slow motion. Good but perhaps a little contrived in places.
Published on 28 Jun 2010 by Mr. N. F. Atkinson

‹ Previous | 1 2 310 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Truely Genius Album, 20 April 2007
Adam Godbeer "dragonq0105" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: One Day Remains (Audio CD)
This album is, in a word, genius. A fantastic mix of songs, every single one of them is emotive and powerful, and together they form probably the best rock album I've heard.

The songs just go together so well, there are no fillers (you know that latest Hip Hop, R 'n' B or Rap album you've seen in the charts that your friends like two or three songs from? You won't get any of that here), and the entire album sounds so thoughtfully and carefully done, down to each riff.

There are a lot of anthem-like tracks, that really blow you away: Open Your Eyes, Broken Wings, Burn It Down, Shed My Skin and Down to My Last. Most have slower verses and rocking choruses. Just close your eyes and listen to them, and you can't help but sing along. Then there are the all-out rockers: Find the Real, One Day Remains, Watch Your Words and Metalingus. All are brilliant, heavy tracks. Then there are the two other tracks - firstly, In Loving Memory. This track is simply beautiful, and is apparently about a dead loved one. The last unmentioned track is, perhaps fittingly, the last track of the album. The End Is Here. Perhaps my favourite track on this album, it is just remarkable. The intro is one of the best I've heard, as is the outro, and it slowly builds to a sort-of crescendo, but has an elequance about it that makes it a perfect way to end this exhausting experience.

The biggest strength of this album for me is the lyrics - every single one of them being thoughtful and meaningful, unlike with many other pop artists I can think of... If you like rock, this album has to be in your collection. For me it epitomises the genre completely.

5.0 out of 5 stars ***** Fan-Dooby-Tastic *****, 23 Jun 2005
M. Rogers "Dodge" (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: One Day Remains (Audio CD)
After a mate of mine heard 'Find The Real' and decided it was enough for him to buy the album...i decided to take a quick listen. I heard 'Open Your Eyes' and immediately jumped onto Amazon to order this cd. It is very almost my favourite album (and I have quite a few). The emotion put in these songs drives me crazy, as does the awesome guitar playing, the lyrics, the beats and basically....everything else. 'Open Your Eyes', 'Metalingus', 'Broken Wings', 'Shed My Skin' and 'In Loving Memory' are the 5 songs I most recommend, but surely that's enough to make you buy the album as the other 6 songs are brilliant too.
Creed has officially evolved... from one of the world's greatest bands...to THE greatest band! All hail Alter Bridge!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars It just gets better...., 28 Sep 2004
Matt Wiggins (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: One Day Remains (Audio CD)
I was devastated to hear of Creed's demise over the summer, but heartened by the news that Mark, Flip and Brian had formed Alter Bridge with Myles Kennedy.
I took the liberty of ordering this album on import and received it well before the UK release date, and it's proved to be one of the wiser moves I've made recently.
Put simply, this is the best album I have heard in years. As previous reviewers have mentioned, there are undoubtedly heavy undertones of Creed here, but Kennedy has brought a new identity to the sound of Alter Bridge, and from top to bottom this is one hell of an offering.
Creed fans will love the slow burners that are Broken Wings, In Loving Memory (written as a tribute to Mark's Mother who recently passed) and Shed My Skin. Open Your Eyes is the unforgettable single, having much the same impact as Creed hits Higher (Human Clay) and My Sacrifice (Weathered).
Tracks such as Find the Real, Metalingus & One Day Remain up the tempo another notch and show us the raw power of Alter Bridge.
Kennedy has an unbelievable voice....I never thought I'd say this as a diehard Creed fan....but he comfortably fills Stapp's boots (and perhaps looks better in them?!?!)
In summary...BUY THIS ALBUM.....It's awesome!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great debut album, 13 Jan 2011
This review is from: One Day Remains (Audio CD)
This is one of my favourite cd's ever. If you want to start your adventure with Alter Bridge or Myles Kennedy this is probably a good place to start - band's debut album holds some slight echo of Creed but is a different record as a whole. Tremonti finally does what he wants, the chemistry in the band is incredible, music is heavy and melodic at the same time, vocals are soaring and simply stunning.
It is almost possible to hear how Kennedy tries to fit in - even if most of the songs are already written and the three other guys have known each other for ages. He doesn't play the guitar, he doesn't add much to the songs - yet a new quality can already be heard. On the second record we will have a fully integrated band which records a true masterpiece. Here you can see how they grow to become one of the greatest bands in rock today.
6 years have passed since I heard the record for the first time and it still grows on me.
You may need few listens to fully apprecciate it (which is hard to understand since it is such a melodic record as a whole)ut it is worth it.
This in not Creed. This is not for money or ego. This is for the love of music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worthy successors to...Led Zep, 14 April 2007
This review is from: One Day Remains (Audio CD)
I have been listening to rock music for over 40 years and have been completely blown away by this album. Alter Bridge sound nothing like Led Zep - neither better nor worse, just different. But in Mark Tremonti they have a worthy successor to Jimmy Page. Tremonti, like Page, understands the dynamics of light and shade. He varies monstrous, monolithic riffs with finger-picked arpeggios, reflecting Page's electric / acoustic spectrum. He can play fast when he needs to (listen to title track "One Day Remains") but prefers a slower, emotionally-driven style, like Page. And he writes wonderful melodies. He's been quoted somewhere as saying that it's tunes which matter and Alter Bridge have these in abundance. Don't be put off by the opening track - it's the weakest on the album, but after that every one is a classic. This is the best debut album I've heard since "Led Zeppelin" and that's partly because both Page and Tremonti were veterans in relation to their "new" bands. Can't wait for Alter Bridge's second. These guys are going to be huge.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply fantastic., 27 July 2006
This review is from: One Day Remains (Audio CD)
Had this CD in my player for 18 months now, cant get it out of my head.

The word 'classic' is tossed around all too easily these days, but it certainly applies to One Day Remains.

The album is a classic - and one of those rare, one-in-a-milllion collections that stands the test of time.

Listen to it and be blown away. Metalingus and Burn It Down are unforgettable tracks with guitar playing that eats away at your central nervous system.

Quite fabulous.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yea the albums great and so r they live, 4 Dec 2004
This review is from: One Day Remains (Audio CD)
I love this album so much but most of this is reviewing the gig on 3rd of December at the mean fiddler. this was my first ever concert and I was really exited. The support band the answer were really good but couldn't compare to AB. They started off with one day remains and the crowd went mental. they followed this up with watch your words then calmed the crowd down with broken wings. Then fired out find the real and burn it down. the next song was metalingus and this song started off a mosh pit and in my opinion was the third best song of the night. Out next was the end is here and then they asked the crowd what they wanted next and most people said shed my skin so they played that next. Then they played my personal favourite song and properly the best song of the night down to my last. They then did a rock and roll session which included some AC/DC and Guns and Roses. they then went off stage for about 5mins. during which the crowd were chanting alter bridge. They returned to the stage to play in loving memory, Deep purple's highway star and finally the second best performance of the night open your eyes. Mark Tremonti was a legend and owned his guitar all night and was just amazing. Myles Kennedy is properly the best rock singer ever as he can sing amazingly but can play and shred on guitar. Scott Phillips put everything he had into making his performances the best and was amazing all night on the drums. Last but defiantly not least Brian Marshall on bass was amazing and just was really getting into the music with Tremonti. They announced a concert over in England again on the 4th of march at the London Estoria which I am defiantly going to. cant wait for them to come back

5.0 out of 5 stars Alter Bridge -- Amazing, 8 Oct 2004
This review is from: One Day Remains (Audio CD)
As a 38 year old former follower of the classic rock era (Rainbow, Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath etc) I thought that I had heard all the greats. To be honest I have not listened to the bands former life -- Creed, so I can not compare. All I can say is this album is amazing. It has great power ballads like " In loving memory" and "broken wings" and fantastic out and out metal tracks like "Find the real" and and "Watch your Words" and really everything in between. The guitar work reminds me of both Blackmore (in the quieter songs) and Jimmy Page. Myles Kennedy has an amazing voice with an incredible range. This is the best new album I have heard in a long time. Give me more!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars This album WILL change your life!, 8 Mar 2006
This review is from: One Day Remains (Audio CD)
If you had asked me who Alter Bridge were in late 2004, I wouldn't have had a clue who you were talking about. Then in January 2005 the song "Find The Real" was used for WWE's Royal Rumble PPV theme song. I found out who the group was, and discovered WWE superstar Edge had "Metalingus" as his new entrance music. I checked out their website, and was hooked. I bought the album, have had it for a year now, and it hasn't left my stereo yet.
Now I liked Creed, "My Sacrifice" is my all-time favourite song, but Kennedy kicks Stapp's ass on vocals. Instrumentally Alter Bridge are a different class to Creed, Tremonti seems to have evolved for this CD. I defy any rock fan to find a better album than this. Every song on this CD has a unique sound, each brilliant in it's own way. This is my run-down:
1) Find The Real - One of the best openings to an album I've heard, great powerful song for their 2nd single. 10/10
2) One Day Remains - Superb guitar riffs (a theme carried on throughout the album). A good fast paced song and this unfortunately makes it the song most out of place (though still not a bad song!). 8/10
3) Open Your Eyes - Their 1st single and the best track on the CD bar none, the guitar work and vocals are at their best here. 10/10 isn't enough for this brilliance!
4) Burn It Down - Slow starter, which seems it may never get going, but once it does it's an excellent power ballad. 9/10
5) Metalingus - This is my 2nd favourite track, not only because i'm a huge Edgehead, but because the guitar work here will blow you away (again). 10/10
6) Broken Wings - Their 3rd single, and another emotional track. Cool video for this one too. 8.5/10
7) In Loving Memory - This song wasn't one I liked to begin with, how I was wrong. Beautiful heartfelt vocals, brings a tear to your eye if your not careful. 10/10
8) Down To My Last - The song that is most forgetable, but is still better than most album tracks around. 8/10
9) Watch Your Words - A great, dark start. Heavy start that continues throughout, with calmer intervals included. 8.5/10
10) Shed My skin - This song really started to grow on me recently, has a superb ending, like all the songs. 9/10
11) The End Is Here - Ends the album better than any CD I own. Another great song. 10/10
Emotional, meaningful, superb guitars, out of this world vocals. Each song leads perfectly into the next. From start to finish this album is a rock masterpiece.

5.0 out of 5 stars Could be better than Creed., 21 July 2004
This review is from: ONE DAY REMAIN (Audio CD)
This is basically Creed with a new front man. After long term arguements/dissagreements the band parted company with front man Scott Stapp. The new guy has a great voice which adds a different feel to the group. Thier 1st song released from the album 'open your eyes' has the typical creed guitar sound and is a very uplifting song. I cannot stop listening to it!
If you liked creed and were dissapointed to see them split, Fear not because this band could be even better!!!
Buy it as soon as its out people you won't be dissapointed

‹ Previous | 1 2 310 | Next ›

One Day Remains
One Day Remains by Alter Bridge (Audio CD - 2004)