on 24 February 2005
This camera sucks, I'm on my second camera and it still sucks.
The video (which can only be filmed in asf format) often crashes all the various video editing software on my system, I create animations for multimedia and know there is no fault with my setup. I can only assume is not being encoded properly, it plays ok from the camera though. That's if you call ok really poor quality with the constant knocking of the autofocus drowning the sound out.
The shutter placement means that 7 out of 10 pictures are blurry. MP3 playback is real tinny. I have no use for it, my supplier is refusing to admit that it doesn't do what it says on the box. I may stamp on it to get some kind of satisfaction from it. There are better digital still cameras for this kind of price out there, don't be sucked in by the extras.
on 11 August 2006
As a few comments above i was also apprehensive about buying this DV camera.

But trust me, it is an amazing piece of kit, I haven't had a problem with it yet.

The image quality is great outdoors and the photo quality is excellent everywhere.

I've bought a 2 gig memory chip for this camera and its great fun

A recommended buy for the amateur film-maker
on 7 March 2005
I recently reviewed this product and said that I was happy with it. Well, the quality of video is so poor due to the low quality lens that I would not recommend this camera to anyone.
on 23 October 2004
I was apprehensive about buying this camera after reading this review but It is a fantastic piece of kit.
For the money it is a lovely, compact camera and with a larger SD card is great fun.
on 21 October 2004
I was very put-off by the 1st review of this camera but I decided to buy one. It is an incredible piece of kit. As long as you realise that the results aren't of the highest resolution, it is a lot of fun. All the instructions are on the CD read-me and it is easy to use. The MP3 sound is reasonable too. What more do you want for this price ?.
on 11 April 2006
what a waste of money. The instruction manual is about 3/4 thick but only 20 pages in English
If you can get it to work and decide to record something,do not use the zoom feature, or move anything near the camera as the mic picks up the sound. You end up with a movie with clicking sounds from the zoom feature.
The camera I have now is the second one as the first packed in at the first use.
spend more to get something that is worthwhile
pity we cannot give no star so a 1 will have to do. Even then the camera does not deserve it
on 22 February 2005
i got this DV in two days, the delivery is fatanstic. any idea of how to take a photo? the instruction sounds very quicky
on 19 September 2004
Oh joy it has arrived.Looked at the manual titled "getting Started"... it wasnt jokeing. The manual had lets say a limited amount of information on the symbols and buttons the DV5500 has on it... you pretty much have to guess the rest, which I might add is not easy. Its also doesnt tell you what all the symbols and numbers mean on the screen. Put on all the software it comes with on my computer only to be told that my PC is too old (I only got it last year). Here is a piece of free information, you have to format the memory cards you put in the DV5500, yet another thing it doesnt tell you you have to do. OK charged it up fully turned it on started recordeing, 22 seconds later it decides to crash, wont go off, so out came the battery. Put it on again started recording. 1min 42secs it stops recording. It did this time and again. Needless to say I sent it back
Good points: It looks good feels good (buttons are a wee bit hard to use) not too heavy.
Advice: Buy something else.