5.0 out of 5 stars "You can tell by the scars on my arms..."
Where to start...I first heard of The Dresden Dolls when I saw the video for Girl Anachronism. On one of my normal impatient days I probably would have changed the channel a few seconds later, but my attention remained glued to what I saw and heard for the next few minutes. After it finished I headed on to the net and downloaded the song, and ended up listening to it...
Published on 14 Dec. 2004 by MR D S OAKES

2.0 out of 5 stars A drag
Been collecting dust on my shelf for years. Today I decided to give it a whirl again. Now I'm on amazon seeing how much I can expect to get for it second hand. It's pretty awful. Bland, repetitive and far too long.
Published 3 months ago by Gary G

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Should of broke the CD by now., 22 Jan. 2011
Its rare to find an album that i've regularly listened to since the day i bought it......after all these year, ak i had it on this morning. The same can be said for their others and Amanda Palmer's solo work, I'm not a die hard fan but I do enjoy them as they are unlike anything else on the market.

5.0 out of 5 stars One for the alternative, 27 Sept. 2014
This review is from: The Dresden Dolls (MP3 Download)
Absolutely amazing. Amanda Palmer's vocals and lyrics swim fantastically around your brain and off your tongue. The Dresden Dolls is a must for any fan of offbeat and different music. And where better to start than their first album of punk style cabaret vaudevillian fun?!

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally love the album, 25 Feb. 2015
This review is from: The Dresden Dolls (Audio CD)
No local shop sells these so i had to buy via here. Totally love the album.
If you haven't heard of the Dresden Dolls before then you should give this a try...i can't guarantee that you'll love it but i think its awesome!

2.0 out of 5 stars A drag, 2 Feb. 2015
Gary G (Liverpool, UK) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Unmissable, 25 Oct. 2011
R. Meades "Rob Meades" (Saffron Walden) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Dresden Dolls (Audio CD)
Led here after seeing the Amanda Palmer videos on YouTube. This is equally dramatic, quirky, unique, over the top, unmissable. Buy it also.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Truly Fabulous Album, 7 Dec. 2004
Tom Knott (mablethorpe, lincolnshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Dresden Dolls (Audio CD)
The Dresden Dolls are a genuinely original duo, Amanda Palmer confides/taunts/jokes to the listener through her lyrics whilst maintaining the ability to swoop through a multitude of dynamics via the piano. Then, add the impressive drumming of Palmer's partner in crime, Brian Viglione, and the result is very very tasty indeed!
1. Good Day - What better way to open an album up than with a truly well-penned piece of songwriting such as 'Good Day'.
2. Girl Anachronism - Ha Haaa! The hair comes down and the nails come out in this era-pondering monster!!! (p.s. as an extra little nugget, you get the video to this on the disc - ....which is nice!)
3. Missed Me - Fabulous Burlesque quality in this song and a lesson to be learnt about not kissing girls!!
4. Half Jack - As in half jill and half jack. There is a Tori Amos-like remenisence within this track but very subtle and if you like Tori (as i indeed do) then this can only make things better.
5. 672 - Palmer is basically recording a stream of consciousness in this 1 minute 24 second treat.
6. Coin-Operated Boy - Infectious! Very Very infectious (good video on their website to this one too!)
7. Gravity - Beutifully gentle and yet dark at the same time.
8. Bad Habit - A somewhat haunting depiction of dealing with self-mutilation, BUT, not done in a shoddy shock-value way, Palmer's too good of a songwriter for that.
9. The Perfect Fit - Quite minimalistic, with a sad, mellencolic overtone. Evidence of Palmer's savvy lyrical abilities.
10. The Jeep Song - A very 'pop' song, catchy and very easy to relate to; singing of seeing elements of an ex-lover everywhere you go.
11. Slide - Probably the darkest track on the album because of it's subject matter being a story of paedophillia - strong stuff! BUT I must once again state that it is NOT depicted in a graphic nature! Amanda Palmer has a firm enough grip on her songwriting to be able to address such a spikey subject with subtlety.
12. Truce - The final track is similar to the first in the way that it is another shining example of how to write a good song. The topic? - Dividing the world's cities and countries between two former lovers so that they can then 'call it even' and go their seperate ways.
To put it simply, go and buy this album! I can promise you'll not be disapointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great purchase for a great album!, 28 Feb. 2009
M. Picoco - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Dresden Dolls (Audio CD)
I'm totally satisfied by this purchase. Item arrived in great condition and with fast delivery. I love the album. I recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars So different, 4 Feb. 2013
This review is from: The Dresden Dolls (Audio CD)
This band is so different from anything else I have ever heard. Very melancholy and enjoyable. This is their best album by far

5.0 out of 5 stars The Dresden Dolls - The Dresden Dolls, 10 Mar. 2005
Steven T. Jarvis "Skarekrow" (Thanet, Kent) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Dresden Dolls (Audio CD)
I bought this album on a whim, with no idea who they were or what I was to expect. From the very begining of Good Day, so fractured and frustrated, like Alanis Morisette's "You Oughta Know" with a sudden adreneline rush, I was in awe of them. Girl Anachronism is voilent and lost, Missed Me is taunting and disturbing, Coin-Operated Boy teases and, throughout, Amanda Palmer offers us the darkest facets of love, of the twistwed and the obscene; but just buy it and listen to it for yourself. This is a mind opening album of rage and pain, of loss and apathy to the weaknesses we all have to suffer. And all this with just one piano and a drum-kit. I was astonished by the pure presence of energy and passion that they provided, the lyrics are constantly brilliant, the music is so bizzare and darkly vital that it defies desription without a common point of reference. There will never be another album to compare to this and I am glad I have had the chance to experience it - could this be the birth of a new genre: Thrash Piano Music with percussion accompaniment.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Dresden Dolls
The Dresden Dolls by The Dresden Dolls (Audio CD - 2004)