5.0 out of 5 stars Just close your eyes and let it in..., 30 Jan 2005
Prepare a nice cup of tea... it's raining outside... it's cold...play this cd! It will send chills down your spine. Close your eyes and listen to the lyrics. Amazing music... and to think that you heard them first by mistake! thank God for my mistake!! "Half Jack", "Coin Operated Boy" and "Bad Habit" are the cream on top. Just buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my all time favourites, 3 Jan 2008
G. Colman (North wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Dresden Dolls (Audio CD)
When I was around 14 a friend of mine told me about a really great song I just had to hear, the song was 'girl anachronism' and the band was The Dresden Dolls, I bought the album and it changed my musical taste completely (for the better of course!)
I'm 17 now and this album currently occupies slot No. 2 in the converted 'top 5' slots in my CD rack.
Personally this album has everything I would want in one, passion, talent, Brilliant lyrics and a healthy sprinkle of psychosis; all wrapped up it becomes one of the best musical purchases I've ever made. Indeed at some points it's hard to believe all that sound is coming from just a voice, a piano, and some drums.
Recommended to absolutely everyone who has an open mind about music; I would imagine the dolls are a love it or hate it affair, but, if you feel like a break from all that radio 1, over produced and over hyped crap and a new refreshing addition to your music collection, you aren't likely to get better.

5.0 out of 5 stars A is for Addictive, 1 Dec 2004
J. Pols "geekilyexcited" (Berkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I'd heard quite alot about Dresden Dolls online and so I decided to investigate. I quickly became hooked with this form of music which genius song writer Amanda Palmer calls 'punk cabaret'. The talented duo(also including Brian Viglione) have been permorming round Boston and the US finding a following of fans addicted to their music and them as performers. I loved what I heard of theirs and so I ordered the CD - at the time from amazon marketplace as it wasn't being sold on amazon.co.uk - and yes. The CD is completely addictive, everysong has such a different appeal and energy, its completly mind blowing and barely leaves my CD player. I've heard the CDs are nothing compared to their live performances. I'm dying to see and compare myself, sadly I can't got to the London concert this December, maybe I'll have to wait a while but I'm sure they'll be back soon...
Words of wisdom: Buy it whilst you have the chance!

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely amazing, 8 Mar 2006
This review is from: The Dresden Dolls (Audio CD)
As soon as I heard 'Good Day' on BBC Radio 6, I fell head over heels in love with this band. They are AMAZING. Their music and lyrics are simultaneously bizarre and relatable. I seriously reccomend this album to ANYONE.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Meloncholy Celebration of Vitality, 18 Oct 2006
Like many others I got into the Dolls through their hit Coin-Operated Boy. Whilst that is probably the most accessable song on this album it is far from the best.

The album, like Amanda Palmers sultry, provocative voice is a rollercoaster of music. The song, Good Day is possibly one of the strongest openers of any album i've ever heared. A quiet, moody song about a girl who's just broken up with her partner which slowly builds to a triumphal realisation that she is 'on fire' with joy and liberty.

Girl Anarchronism is possibly the scariest song you will hear, tormented scattering of hate, dispair and deep dark humour sung with such ferocity you imagine Palmer being straight-jacket bound and screaming.

Missed Me is possibly the most sinister of the songs. Sung in a caberet style, almost like a striptease of music but with the provocative lyrics of a young girl talking to a paedophile. This could almost be titled Lolitas song.

Half Jack is most similar to a heavily orchestrated 'Zombie' by the Cranberries. Dark and yet redeeming at the same time. Wonderful in lyrics and style but at 5:15 does seem to drag a little.

672 is an instrumental/vocal piece, not really a song, but a nice filler to seperate the darker first part of the album from the more upbeat second. Kick started with...

Coin Operated Boy, the most humerous song on the album. A really good intro to the style of music the Dresden Dolls try to achieve. I'm sure this song has a huge female following and its easy to see why!

Gravity is a punky-piano piece with a rolling bass line and clunky keyboards not to mention some fantastic drums. The song degenerates into an orgy of soundbites underpinned by Palmers angsty and explosive vocals.

Bad Habit is another mad-dash similar to Girl Anachronism. What always suprises me about the Dolls is that whilst it could be argued that the vocals are the mainpoint there is an equal balance of piano that complements it almost exactly rather than playing second fiddle to the powerful vocal work. Best example of this is on this song.

The Perfect Fit starts slowly on piano in a very dreamy whistful way with the accomponyment of chimes and bells adding to the dreamy atmosphere. Its possibly about an overwhelming situation, maybe drug abuse, and it takes a while to get going but it worth the listen.

The Jeep Song is one of the poppy on the album. Not my favourite and very over orchestrated and a bit disappointing although I can see why some people will like it. Like Coin Operated Boy on 1980's happy pills. More like the sort of stuff The Divine Comedy does. I don't think it quite suits the Dresden Dolls to do this type of thing.

Slide is a lyrical masterpiece, comparing life to a slide ending in the ultimate 'orangeman' who pretends to catch you. Quite a moving song, eerie and spectoral. The layering of voices add to the restrained urgency that underpins the song. An extended metaphor played to some rather beautiful and haunting piano.

Truce is a fantastic 9 minute epic ending song obscure and abstrace. A deconstruction of world politics;

"We can split germany right down the middle

You'd hate it there anyway

Take berlin and we'll call it even "

Which morphs into a disconcerting love ballad;

"you call it over and i call you psycho

significant other? just say we were lovers!

And we'll call it even, we'll call it even."

A political scholar could have a field-day with this song and it is one of the most lyrically obscure but also muscially varied on the album. Fantastic in the most literal sense of the word.

'Amanda, you're telling me a fairytale...' - Truce 8 mins 25 seconds

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it now..you will not be disappointed!, 25 Sep 2005
This review is from: The Dresden Dolls (Audio CD)
Having heard "Coin-operated boy", I was intrigued and bought this album on the strength of that song. I was not disappointed! The beautifully dramatic piano, booming drums and varied whispering/shrieking style singing has me addicted!
I can honestly say its one of my favourite albums of the year..despite their white and black make-up..I wouldn't say this is particuarly goth music. It's in a league of its own..if you fancy an album that is a little different , but very compulsive, this is for you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Correction: it's coin operated BOY, 15 July 2004
This album deserves a lot more praise than it's getting. The Dresden Dolls are one of the most original bands I've heard in a long while, and not easily comparable to anything else. 'Half Jack' is one of the highlights, as is 'coin-operated boy' which will appeal to anyone with a dark sense of humour. I think the title's pretty self-explanatory.
If you're interested I recommend you visit their website, [...] as not only will it introduce you to their magical world of punk cabaret or whatever you want to call it, you can also listen all the way through to I think 5 of their tracks. Do it, do it now, then come back and buy the album!!! (I realise its not available here, but you know...look around. i think [...] has it)

4.0 out of 5 stars Is it art rock?, 25 July 2004
This has got to be one of the most unusual bands around. The website provides great live material which is pretty much what you get when you see them live. I can hardly wait for the Coin Operated Boy video to be released. Can't imagine what they came up with which is why I love them so much.

5.0 out of 5 stars BRILLIANT AND BIZZARE!!!!, 13 Sep 2006
S. McGowan "robotchicken" (Ireland) - See all my reviews
OK, this album is the best i've heard in a long time!!!It has REALLY beautiful lyrics sung with real passion and meaning. However it has an edge to it that is rough and punky...but with a piano! its hard to describe it but its brilliant and bizzare. Well you'll either love it or hate it;but i love it...

5.0 out of 5 stars So different, 4 Feb 2013
This review is from: The Dresden Dolls (Audio CD)
This band is so different from anything else I have ever heard. Very melancholy and enjoyable. This is their best album by far

The Dresden Dolls
The Dresden Dolls by The Dresden Dolls (Audio CD - 2004)