Format: Audio CD|Change

on 3 September 2004
After 3 albums devoted largely to unjustifiably obscure deep-soul sides, the irreplaceable Dave Godin has put together his 'Deep Soul treasures Vol 4', and has included a few tunes that might even be familiar to non hard-core soul fans. And the album is,in my opinion, none the worse for this.
In the UK, soul has always been a somewhat elitist genre, whether in the areas of impossibly rare (and sometimes, impossibly dire),Northern soul 'discoveries', unreleased 'rare groove' funk tracks or mind-bogglingly uncommercial 'deep-soul'.
Dave Godin himself once alluded to the 'soul-heaven of non-hits which form the bulk of our collections' in his address to the faithful in 'Blues and Soul' magazine.
Well, fine, it is wonderful to be 'in' on any art form of which the rest of the world seems ignorant , but I feel that, by including fairly well known (and some, like the Miracles 'Tracks of My Tears', very well-known) songs is an effective way of removing some of the elitism and mystique from the music.
The success of the previous volumes in this series proves that an important audience still exists for this desparateley unfashionable style of soul. Volume 4 will continue the tradition. Listen, and be amazed.
on 10 September 2004
I didn't think it would be possible for Mr Godin to match let alone improve on the brilliance of Volume 3, but incredibly he's done it again and surpassed his previous releases.
Everything here sits so well together,an absolute joy from track 1 to track 25.
Gems such as My Baby by Garnett Mimms and The day after Forever by Paul Kelly are personal favourites, but that does not detract from the quality of product here.
One thing puzzles though: why on earth was 'You Make Me Feel Good'by Lawrence & Jaibi shelved in 1970? What a stunner!.
The usual great liner notes are here, including a marvellous soul epiphany from Kevin McCardle.
Buy it today.
on 21 August 2011
Dave Godin augments his considerable, regrettably posthumous, reputation as the doyen of soul aficionados with this estimable collection of classic tracks. You won't be disappointed.
on 16 October 2014
It is only one song that I wanted: "The Day After Forever". I had to overpay to get it but I am glad to have it. I lost my 45 copy in a house fire and that was my husband and my special love song. It arrived on our 43rd Wedding Anniversary.
on 12 February 2016
Now that CDs are supposedly going out of fashion I think we can confidently say this is the best CD series ever.
on 9 July 2014
If you've bought the other volumes you'll know what to expect and will not be too disappointed
on 2 February 2015
Great classic southern soul music on this cd