5.0 out of 5 stars At last....a genuine unhyped talent !!!
Published on 11 Aug 2005 by Stephen Howlett

3.0 out of 5 stars Bought for a Bargain
Bought as a birthday present. Good value for money, was a bit disappointed as I didn't know some of songs
Published 13 months ago by Will Matthews

5.0 out of 5 stars At last....a genuine unhyped talent !!!, 11 Aug 2005
Stephen Howlett "Grapevinesteve" (Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Breathe In (Audio CD)
As a lover of guitar-based rock , I`m usually unmoved by the regular stream of over-hyped " talent" that passes for pop these days.Thank goodness, then , for Lucie Silvas . I was stunned by her performance of What You`re Made Of on BBCs Top of the Pops last year, and all it took was one hearing of the follow up single ( The optimistic Breathe In ) to confirm that we had a genuine new talent on our hands. A purchase was overdue ....
Now, many months on, the album, Breathe In , is still almost a permanent resident on my CD player ( and I normally tire quickly of music )It`s an album you can live with, full of songs which are at once personal yet easy to indentify with. Each song is a gem, every vocal performance is packed with drama and emotion , and yet there is enough subtlety to keep you coming back for more .The controlled power in the vocals is frequently spine-tingling.
And, to add to Lucie Silvas`s credibilty, not only can she cut it in the studio, but she is an awesome live performer too.
If you like what you`ve heard so far, you owe yourself a copy of this album .

5.0 out of 5 stars the British answer to Delta Goodrem, 11 Oct 2004
This review is from: Breathe In (Audio CD)
Finally an escape from the Hip Hop scene that seems to have taken control over the music charts all over the world. Lucie's breathtakingly beautiful piano melody's and her touching lyrics shine on her debut album. Standout tracks include the debut single "What You're Made Of", the more uptempo "Dont Look Back", title track "Breathe In", the haunting ballad "Nothing Else Matters" and of coutse the big standout track "The Game Is Won". From start to finish Lucie tell's tales of love and heartbreak. Definently worth buying!

4.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING TALENT!, 2 Nov 2004
This review is from: Breathe In (Audio CD)
When I first heard lead single ' What You're Made Of' I must admit, I immediately thought 'boring'! How wrong I was. After another few listens I was hooked. The album 'Breathe In' is truly breathtaking, if you liked 'What You're Made Of', you'll love this. Standout tracks include: The truly haunting yet simple 'Forget Me Not', the sunny 'Breathe In', the chilling 'Nothing Else Matters' and of course beautiful first single 'What You're Made Of'. Buy this album if you appreciate lovingly produced music, spine chilling arrangements and truly classic pop songs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lucie, you're something special. A real talent., 13 Jun 2005
L. Foxall "foxall" (Warrington, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Breathe In (Audio CD)
Lucie Silvas first came to my attention on the Des & Mel show when she performed 'Breathe In' and I was impressed. I then heard 'What You're Made Of' on Radio 2 and I thought "I like this, shall I buy her album?". I bought it at the end of January and I can honestly say I made the right decision.
For me, there are no bad songs on the album, and Lucie's voice makes the album refreshing as well as relaxing to listen to. I say this because one minute she sings ballads which test her vocal abilities to full without going over the top (e.g. The Game Is Won) and the next, she's taking it easy & slowing down (e.g. No Defence). My favourites songs are 'The Game Is Won', 'Seven Veils', 'Last Man Standing' & 'Don't Look Back' and overall, I would say that this is the best album I have bought for a long time. I must also credit Lucie for the fact she writes and performs her own material. Anyone who can do that deserves credit from me (more so if it is my type of music).
After buying the album, I then went to see Lucie and her band in Manchester on 28th April & they were superb. Lucie seems a very nice young lady who is down-to-earth, as are her band members.
If she keeps on producing music of this quality, I will be a fan of Lucie Silvas for a long time and I hope she will be in the business for a while. She is a real talent in my opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 21 April 2005
This review is from: Breathe In (Audio CD)
I really enjoyed this album, especially the fantastic 'Last Man Standing' and 'Seven Veils'. Her voice and style reminded me a little of Delta Goodrem's which is no bad thing, but I found that 'Nothing Else Matters' took a bit too long to get off the ground. However, this is a fantastic album, well worth buying and listening to over and over again! Lucie Sivas is very talented and she should have been 'discovered' well before now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Breathtaking....a classic, 7 Nov 2004
This review is from: Breathe In (Audio CD)
I remember Lucie Silvas from 2001 when she released her first song, It's Too Late, and I loved the song. Expecting an album which didn't arrive, I was happy to hear of her return and awaited the album's release with anticipation. And I was not disappointed. The songs are tasteful and dynamic, with Twisting The Chains, Last Man Standing and Nothing Else Matters standing out and constantly on repeat. Lucie is honest and that shows in the songs, with words that are touching, believable and shockingly relatable. I feel that What You're Made Of was written about me. A stunning album. Go and buy. Now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brethe In will take your breath away, 20 Sep 2005
This review is from: Breathe In (Audio CD)
Twice now this year I've been left astounded and in awe at the phenomenal talent in a young female singer/songwriter, both British. First it was Lucie Silvas and more recently Beulah. In both cases hearing just one song was enough to recognise their ability and inspire the purchase of the album. Breathe In is nothing short of a remarkable masterpiece even more so because it's a debut. Each listening is rewarded with something new to discover, some other interpretation of the lyrics. Breathe In is such an engaging album you want to listen to it at the exclusion of other albums and it is best heard shared alone. Lucie sings with power and passion, occasional fragility, conveying melancholy emotion, deep and heartfelt sorrow at the loss of loved ones and the break up and trepidation of new relationships. Outstanding songs on an outstanding album must be What You're Made Of and Don't Look Back which display both her supreme melodic skills and lyrical supremacy. There's an incredible maturity to her lyrics that should come from someone much older and world weary, who has complete understanding of the sentiments from personal experience. She has somehow written songs that seem to be intensely personal to the listener and knows the ghosts from the past and present that haunt your heart. The lyrics will always be relevant to someone, somewhere at sometime in their life. Breathe In is destined to be a modern classic, the secret of its long term success is that it is centred round the timeless sound of piano and acoustic guitar and uses real percussion and not computer generated or contemporary fashionable noises. Lucie appeals to an older fan base that will remain loyal to an artist, as opposed to the fickle, fashion conscious plaudits of the singles chart and provided she can maintain or improve upon this album she has a promising and long future in the music business.

5.0 out of 5 stars An enigmatic but wholly impressive start, 16 July 2005
This review is from: Breathe In (Audio CD)
Since its release, I thought back-and-forth about buying this album. I adored the first release "What You're Made Of" from the moment I heard it. The striking piano tones, the strong singing voice and the haunting melody struck me from the beginning. The second release, "Breathe In" I also loved and appreciated how different it was from the first release. "The Game Is Won" and "Don't Look Back" finally made my mind up to buy the album- if it's great, good, if it's not, oh well.
Thankfully, I wasn't the least bit disappointed. When the song I like least on the album is, at worst, decent, you know you've got a good album on your hands. It's hardly been out of my CD player since I bought it. I even bought a copy for my car!
If you're in the same position as I was, I would very much recommend it- the only downfall is that Lucie fans' standards have now been set so high it's hard to imagine her ever topping this album.
The best track on the albums:
Don't Look Back- a powerful song sung perfectly with a wide range of vocals
Forget Me Not- a hauntingly beautiful track, just Lucie and her piano. Fantastic, spine-chilling stuff
Nothing Else Matters- Disappointly, a cover version, but wow what a cover version it is. If you don't like the song as much as I do, you'll likely think it's too long but if you like it, the cellos will add so much to it
What You're Made Of- always worth a listen, anytime of the day
Worst tracks:
Last Man Standing- my personal least favourite. But, by least favourite, I mean it's the only one I don't play more than once. Still worth a listen, which is really saying something when it's the worst track.
This album's well worth anybody's money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 22 Oct 2004
This review is from: Breathe In (Audio CD)
Lucie used to do backing vocals with Judie Tzuke in the 97-99 era and, as my wife said then, she was a star in the making. The songwriting on this fantastic album shows a clear influence of the Tzuke team. Harmonies are well developed, tracks progress and just make you want to return again and again. There is no attempt at creating top ten chart fodder although it is clear that any audience who hears this cd will instantly recognise proper song writing. Although Tzuke and co are a clear influence there is definite Vanessa Carlton here and perhaps even Michelle Branch or even Sarah McLachlin. Being a radio 2 fave I can see this young lady going far. It is only a shame that Judie Tzuke doesn't get the same exposure as Lucie is likely to get over the coming years.
Nice one Lucie. Good luck with all you do.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning !!!, 4 May 2005
Paul Kitson - See all my reviews
Excellent CD !!!
The stand out track, even for "OLD" rockers such as myself is Lucie's cover of Metallica's Nothing Else Matters; Absolutely blinding. The whole CD is brilliant, not too yukky pop, not too jazzy, not too manufactured. Buy it for yourself and see

Breathe In
Breathe In by Lucie Silvas (Audio CD - 2004)