Format: Electronics|Change

on 25 March 2015
As plenty of other people have said, this is a lovely microphone - clear and detailed with very low self-noise - and this package is excellent value for money. This plus a Scarlett 2i2 is a great combo for a small home studio.

HOWEVER If you're purchasing a mic for spoken word applications, then I suggest you exercise some caution before you buy the Røde NT1-A.
In my case I bought it for narration work and sadly found it to be completely unsuitable.

The reason? Simply, this mic is particularly sensitive in the higher frequencies.
For recording a singer or an instrument at higher volumes this will add wonderful detail and brightness but for quiet, close-mic speech work it will pick up *microscopic* levels of mouth noise. I'm not talking about the usual lip smacks and tongue clicks, here - I mean that every, single, tiniest movement of the edges and underside of a speaker's tongue against their teeth and mouth ccomes through loud and clear as constant, brittle crackle, between and within words, rendering most takes either unusable or requiring a lot of time-consuming effort during editing.

So, on one hand this is a brilliant microphone which I can highly recommend but, on the other hand, PLEASE research and compare its frequency response graph before you buy (the RecordingHacks website is a great resource for that, incidentally) and make sure it's going to be suitable for the work you're doing. Other people might be getting great results from it for voiceover, but it absolutely didn't work for me.
33 comments|47 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 January 2014
... But I'll say something anyway. This microphone is brilliant.

As a Music Production student and "budding" artist/producer I've been familiar with the NT1-A and various other industry standard mics for many years, and this one has always been a favourite of mine for both vocal and acoustic guitar recordings.

I decided to purchase the NT1-A for my home studio (Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 interface/preamp, KRK RP6 G3 monitors) and tested it before putting foam panels on my wall and it produced a very clear, high quality recording albeit with the annoying natural reverb from the room.

Since placing the foam panels on the walls in an 'alcove' that I use as a vocal booth, in the spare bedroom aka The Studio, I have managed to record near perfect vocals, almost comparable with those at many more 'professional' studios.

PROS
+ Clarity of recordings is second to none
+ Robust, all fittings are sturdy
+ Great value for money. Especially with the accompanying contents of the pack. Borderline steal.

CONS
- Too clear!! Can pick up even the slightest sounds so ensure you have sufficient soundproofing (closed doors and windows with heavy drapes will help!)
- Requires some acoustic treatment of room due to the large cardioid polar pattern

All in all, it's a great microphone for any singer/songwriters who are willing to do a little work on their room, and/or experiment with mic placement to get the best possible recording, which I strongly suggest if you want to get the most out of this mic.

A little research online will go a long way!
on 18 February 2013
As a Producer Engineer I must admit that I have always been a Neuman U87 user for Vocals. I use both old valve/tube (25years +) versions as well the more modern versions. To compare these Nt-1s to the U87's is cruel I know but I needed to set up a cheaper Studio set up for a colleague and the reviews on these Nt's looked favourable. So I went ahead and bought a couple. Comparison tests between Neuman / AKG 1000 / Rode Nt-1 were done. Comparing to the Neumans the Nt-1s suited female vocals very well, giving warmth when working closely (proximity effect)and mid clarity when driving them hard at distance. Sometimes having a nasal edge to the sound depending on the angle being used at. Additionally they proved themselves to be very good on groups of 'louder' backing vocalists. The nasal sound being advantageous after repositioning the Mics to achieve this. Acoustic Guitars sounded a bit 'thumpy' at the lower end which needed EQ-ing out but mid clarity and top end was very good. When compared to the AKG, the AKG was overall a warmer but slightly crisper sound and I found I had to drive the AKG harder but the sound was natural and smoother. The NT-1 pair set up Overhead on a piano produced a fine and well balanced sound. Mic-ing up both Bass and Lead Guitar amps gave me no problems and favoured well alongside the Neumans. Violins recorded well when working close with, once again a well balanced sound. One slight drawback is that the NT-1s didn't really like working at distance and being flown in the air overhead on Drums, the bottom end response drops off very quickly whilst the mids became slightly muddy. But I must admit I have always preferred a combination of Neumans and very directional AKGs in these situations so a bit of an unfair test really..... O.K. in summary.... I have since bought four of these and they are getting regular use mic-ing up amps both on the live stage and for recording. I have been impressed so far. The price and sonic response/quality is remarkable when you think what I am comparing them to. Give them a try. I was surprisingly pleased.
55 comments|43 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 December 2009
I'm delighted with this mic. The sound quality is superb with a very low floor noise level. I use it primarily for voice work but have also tried it with a couple of guitars and it produces a really rich tone. It's comparable with mics costing a lot more and I would recommend it to anyone with an interest in home recording.
on 20 February 2013
I recently bought the Rode NT1-A Vocal Pack to add to my small home studio. The main requirement of the microphone was for recording podcasts with the option of recording vocals in some of my musical productions. So far the microphone has excelled in both of these fields, I've got it working with an M-Audio Fast Track Pro and can get pretty awesome results.

I'm looking forward to upgrading my audio interface in the future to one that has better pre-amps so I'll be able to get even better results from the microphone.

For the price... this is amazing. Second hand ones via Ebay etc. were all costing around £100 - but you'd be mad not to foot out the extra £37-ish to get a brand new one!
on 9 March 2012
I've had a pair of Rode NT1A condensers for 4 years and they have been excellent for a variety of indoor location recordings of vocals, bands, choirs and other events. As with all large diaphragm condensers, a pop filter is a must for vocal solos and they do need protected from moisture in storage with the silica gel provided.
I haven't heard of any failures of these mics myself and was unable to find much evidence on Google (most of the problems reported seem to be due to lack of understanding of phantom power) but Rode are renowned for their customer support which is second to none. Buy this mic with confidence.
VINE VOICEon 29 January 2014
Having never purchased a microphone before, and being a bit uncertain about splashing out too much money on one, I went for this one in order to record acoustic guitar and vocals. As an amatuer musician, my requirements are quite basic, but this mic has surpassed my expectations by some distance. Used properly, I'd imagine that this mic is capable of considerably better than I currently get out of it, but even in my very amateur hands, it's more than capable of producing great results. I've got no complaints about it at all - it just works and for the price I paid for it, I'm very happy.
on 16 July 2014
Superb beginners and intermediates package. The microphone sounds fantastic given the price and really gives a clean, warm sound to any voice you put in front of it. The included xlr cable and microphone cradle are both well made and sturdy. I would have no problem recommending this to anyone interested in a new vocal mic.
on 9 December 2013
I am absolutely over the moon. £149.99 is a lot of money to be buying luxuries for myself but I saw all the other reviews and before I knew it, I pressed "Buy".

This is a pretty amazing piece of equipment and it also comes well packaged so you don't need to worry about it being damaged whilst being shipped. The setup is pretty easy but before you can use it properly you need two additional products: The first being an audio box that has 48V Phantom Power or else the microphone won't work at all, and the second thing being some sort of mic stand for your shock mount. I purchased the Avid M-Audio USB box which was probably the cheapest out there and doesn't lose the quality of the mic. I also purchased the samson MD5 desktop stand which is AMAZING. A lot of cheap stands can't hold the weight of the microphone but this one is completely solid, so I would get that too!.

WARNING: For beginners (like myself), you can't just plug it in and expect your vocals to be as great as Lady Gaga, Katy Perry etc. IT WILL sound amazing in the end but you need to have some sort of knowledge with audio mixing and mastering to make your vocals stand out. I have been watching loads of youtube tutorials so get on there and learn some cool stuff!

Overall, this is the best thing I have ever bought for myself, since I am such a music lover. You will not be disappointed. So if this is your type of price range for getting a mic, then this is definately for you!!!
on 29 August 2011
I was recently in the market for a new microphone to base a small home recording studio around. The choices for a mic are endless with condenser and dynamic mics being just the start of it which makes things difficult for newbies like myself. After hours and hours of research I made the choice to go for the NT1-A. Firstly I was setting up a studio so a condenser mic would give me a greater sound and responsiveness in the studio to record my vocals and my acoustic guitar. Microphones are a lot of money but the difference in quality/ performance in the <£50 to £200 range is massive, whereas the mics that are >£200 will be of a better quality but only to a level that professionals will care about. So to get the mic, shock mount, pop shield and cable for this price is incredible. And to be honest after hours of research this sounds as good as or even better than any mic around the £200 price range. I know choosing a microphone is such a personal decision but on't hesitate this mic is crystal clear and is so versatile that you cannot go wrong.
44 comments|31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse