5.0 out of 5 stars Rode NT1 A condensor microphone
I'm delighted with this mic. The sound quality is superb with a very low floor noise level. I use it primarily for voice work but have also tried it with a couple of guitars and it produces a really rich tone. It's comparable with mics costing a lot more and I would recommend it to anyone with an interest in home recording.
Published on 22 Dec 2009 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars 5 star mic BUT...
really this is a 5 star mic... however about 6 months after having my mic one day out of the blue when i tried to record the mic output was very very low and there was 'wind' like noise coming into the mix, i tried new xlr cables, different desks, pop filters and everything else i could think of, luckily the thing comes with a 10 year warranty i sent it back to Rode who...
Published on 3 Jan 2012 by Boom Bap Capatalist

5.0 out of 5 stars Rode NT1 A condensor microphone, 22 Dec 2009

5.0 out of 5 stars Comparing It To Neuman U87's and AKG's, 18 Feb 2013
This review is from: Rode NT1-A Vocal Pack Condenser Microphone (Electronics)
As a Producer Engineer I must admit that I have always been a Neuman U87 user for Vocals. I use both old valve/tube (25years +) versions as well the more modern versions. To compare these Nt-1s to the U87's is cruel I know but I needed to set up a cheaper Studio set up for a colleague and the reviews on these Nt's looked favourable. So I went ahead and bought a couple. Comparison tests between Neuman / AKG 1000 / Rode Nt-1 were done. Comparing to the Neumans the Nt-1s suited female vocals very well, giving warmth when working closely (proximity effect)and mid clarity when driving them hard at distance. Sometimes having a nasal edge to the sound depending on the angle being used at. Additionally they proved themselves to be very good on groups of 'louder' backing vocalists. The nasal sound being advantageous after repositioning the Mics to achieve this. Acoustic Guitars sounded a bit 'thumpy' at the lower end which needed EQ-ing out but mid clarity and top end was very good. When compared to the AKG, the AKG was overall a warmer but slightly crisper sound and I found I had to drive the AKG harder but the sound was natural and smoother. The NT-1 pair set up Overhead on a piano produced a fine and well balanced sound. Mic-ing up both Bass and Lead Guitar amps gave me no problems and favoured well alongside the Neumans. Violins recorded well when working close with, once again a well balanced sound. One slight drawback is that the NT-1s didn't really like working at distance and being flown in the air overhead on Drums, the bottom end response drops off very quickly whilst the mids became slightly muddy. But I must admit I have always preferred a combination of Neumans and very directional AKGs in these situations so a bit of an unfair test really..... O.K. in summary.... I have since bought four of these and they are getting regular use mic-ing up amps both on the live stage and for recording. I have been impressed so far. The price and sonic response/quality is remarkable when you think what I am comparing them to. Give them a try. I was surprisingly pleased.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Choice..., 29 Aug 2011
I was recently in the market for a new microphone to base a small home recording studio around. The choices for a mic are endless with condenser and dynamic mics being just the start of it which makes things difficult for newbies like myself. After hours and hours of research I made the choice to go for the NT1-A. Firstly I was setting up a studio so a condenser mic would give me a greater sound and responsiveness in the studio to record my vocals and my acoustic guitar. Microphones are a lot of money but the difference in quality/ performance in the <50 to 200 range is massive, whereas the mics that are >200 will be of a better quality but only to a level that professionals will care about. So to get the mic, shock mount, pop shield and cable for this price is incredible. And to be honest after hours of research this sounds as good as or even better than any mic around the 200 price range. I know choosing a microphone is such a personal decision but on't hesitate this mic is crystal clear and is so versatile that you cannot go wrong.

5.0 out of 5 stars Over The Moon!, 9 Dec 2013
This review is from: Rode NT1-A Vocal Pack Condenser Microphone (Electronics)
I am absolutely over the moon. 149.99 is a lot of money to be buying luxuries for myself but I saw all the other reviews and before I knew it, I pressed "Buy".

This is a pretty amazing piece of equipment and it also comes well packaged so you don't need to worry about it being damaged whilst being shipped. The setup is pretty easy but before you can use it properly you need two additional products: The first being an audio box that has 48V Phantom Power or else the microphone won't work at all, and the second thing being some sort of mic stand for your shock mount. I purchased the Avid M-Audio USB box which was probably the cheapest out there and doesn't lose the quality of the mic. I also purchased the samson MD5 desktop stand which is AMAZING. A lot of cheap stands can't hold the weight of the microphone but this one is completely solid, so I would get that too!.

WARNING: For beginners (like myself), you can't just plug it in and expect your vocals to be as great as Lady Gaga, Katy Perry etc. IT WILL sound amazing in the end but you need to have some sort of knowledge with audio mixing and mastering to make your vocals stand out. I have been watching loads of youtube tutorials so get on there and learn some cool stuff!

Overall, this is the best thing I have ever bought for myself, since I am such a music lover. You will not be disappointed. So if this is your type of price range for getting a mic, then this is definately for you!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Not sure much more needs to be said..., 17 Jan 2014
Tack (Southampton, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rode NT1-A Vocal Pack Condenser Microphone (Electronics)
... But I'll say something anyway. This microphone is brilliant.

As a Music Production student and "budding" artist/producer I've been familiar with the NT1-A and various other industry standard mics for many years, and this one has always been a favourite of mine for both vocal and acoustic guitar recordings.

I decided to purchase the NT1-A for my home studio (Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 interface/preamp, KRK RP6 G3 monitors) and tested it before putting foam panels on my wall and it produced a very clear, high quality recording albeit with the annoying natural reverb from the room.

Since placing the foam panels on the walls in an 'alcove' that I use as a vocal booth, in the spare bedroom aka The Studio, I have managed to record near perfect vocals, almost comparable with those at many more 'professional' studios.

PROS
+ Clarity of recordings is second to none
+ Robust, all fittings are sturdy
+ Great value for money. Especially with the accompanying contents of the pack. Borderline steal.

CONS
- Too clear!! Can pick up even the slightest sounds so ensure you have sufficient soundproofing (closed doors and windows with heavy drapes will help!)
- Requires some acoustic treatment of room due to the large cardioid polar pattern

All in all, it's a great microphone for any singer/songwriters who are willing to do a little work on their room, and/or experiment with mic placement to get the best possible recording, which I strongly suggest if you want to get the most out of this mic.

A little research online will go a long way!

5.0 out of 5 stars Rode NT1-A, 28 July 2011
I got this condenser mic a couple of months ago. Overall, it's a great piece of kit that filled in the missing piece to my home studio. I WILL buy again as I need a couple more. For my friends and our guitars. The sound is close to perfect. A bargain for [] pounds. The only problem that I have with it is that the CD it came with doesn't seem to read. Otherwise. It's perrrrfect.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for money!, 16 July 2014
J. Williams "Jimbo" (Uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rode NT1-A Vocal Pack Condenser Microphone (Electronics)
Superb beginners and intermediates package. The microphone sounds fantastic given the price and really gives a clean, warm sound to any voice you put in front of it. The included xlr cable and microphone cradle are both well made and sturdy. I would have no problem recommending this to anyone interested in a new vocal mic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic microphone at a fantastic price!, 20 Feb 2013
This review is from: Rode NT1-A Vocal Pack Condenser Microphone (Electronics)
I recently bought the Rode NT1-A Vocal Pack to add to my small home studio. The main requirement of the microphone was for recording podcasts with the option of recording vocals in some of my musical productions. So far the microphone has excelled in both of these fields, I've got it working with an M-Audio Fast Track Pro and can get pretty awesome results.

I'm looking forward to upgrading my audio interface in the future to one that has better pre-amps so I'll be able to get even better results from the microphone.

For the price... this is amazing. Second hand ones via Ebay etc. were all costing around 100 - but you'd be mad not to foot out the extra 37-ish to get a brand new one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quality and value, 9 Mar 2012
I've had a pair of Rode NT1A condensers for 4 years and they have been excellent for a variety of indoor location recordings of vocals, bands, choirs and other events. As with all large diaphragm condensers, a pop filter is a must for vocal solos and they do need protected from moisture in storage with the silica gel provided.
I haven't heard of any failures of these mics myself and was unable to find much evidence on Google (most of the problems reported seem to be due to lack of understanding of phantom power) but Rode are renowned for their customer support which is second to none. Buy this mic with confidence.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic ..!, 14 April 2011
This review is from: Rode NT1-A Vocal Pack Condenser Microphone (Electronics)
I decided to add a review here purely on the fact that i have one of these mics and use it in a studio. We have just built a studio with a vocal booth as a band and the plan was to use this microphone in the booth. Let me tell you.. its absolutely fantastic. We all wear headphones in the studio and the guys say that it sounds like im actually in the room with them. Personaly that was one of the things i noticed the minute i plugged it in. The clarity is amazing for such a light microphone. You need 48Volt PHANTOM power to drive this mic. You WILL NOT be disappointed. The sheer quality off this microphone baffles me.
The highs can be a bit ear catching if not set right..
I have it plugged into a Behringer Eurorack 24 input studio desk with very little gain all EQ's Centred and no effects on and its just so crisp.
Shame its not a little bit heavier but.. why should that make a difference.. right?

I'm saying no more.. buy it! You won't regret it.