5.0 out of 5 stars The grower of all growers
Published on 20 Jan 2005 by Anthony Ackers

3.0 out of 5 stars First one was best!
I find this one from Interpol pretty boring, and really not competitive to thei first album... Fine singles, but... weak.
Published on 10 Jun 2010 by Giorgio Maria Visimberga

5.0 out of 5 stars The grower of all growers, 20 Jan 2005
This review is from: Antics (Audio CD)
A friend highly recommended Interpol to me, based upon the first album, and I found myself doing a very unusal thing. I bought the album without hearing any of the songs, and not having a clue what to expect. I put it on, and after hearing it the first time I felt very let down. Determined not to waste a tenner and consign the CD to an eternity in the CD-rack, I decided to play it again to see if it would grow on me. I played it again. And again. And again. Then something strange started to happen. Admist the disappointing tracks, a stand-out song started to emerge. And then another. And another. Before long I was loving the whole album! It really is outstanding, it just needs a little getting in to. The music is, on the whole, a little dark, heavy- yet not, and quite different. It really is no exaggeration to say that there is no filler, as soon as you here the first song "Next Exit", you know you are about to be taken on an epic journey.
Not only do you get pleasure from listening to one excellent song after the other, you also feel that you've earned it after working so hard to get into the album. Highly recommended- just give it some time to grow.

5.0 out of 5 stars YOU MUST BUY THIS ALBUM !!, 8 Dec 2005
PAUL MCINTOSH (PERTH, Perthshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Antics (Audio CD)
If you're having any doubts about buying this album...DON'T. I can honestly say of the many albums i own or have listened to none have grabbed me quite as this one has, its a dark, melodic masterpiece from a band who seem to be severley underated. Having listened to the album many times now i keep coming back to the question, why isn't this band massive as if Franz Ferdinand, Strokes and others can have such success and recieve numerous accolades, then this band deserve every bit as much praise if not more, as their albums unlike many of their contempories are more than just one, two or three songs intermingled amongst mediocrity. Maybe though, the fact that the radio isn't playing their songs every ten minutes and your mate, your mum and the guy next door don't own a copy just adds to the enjoyment of having a copy what is a truly great album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, 16 May 2007
G. L. Williams "simplygregguk" (South West England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Antics (Audio CD)
I heard of Interpol when the single 'Evil' was released and i couldn't wait to get this album. Since then i have purchased their debut album and have been immensley satsified by both.

This album is an absolute must for anyone who enjoys the sounds of a band making good music and also experimenting with their sound.

Here are my verdicts on the tracks:

Next Exit: This is a brilliant opening track. It starts of slowly with a guitar and synth but builds into an epic chorus which will have you tapping your feet along to.

Evil: This song is stunning and is brilliant live. With the pounding bass intro and the soaring chorus this song is the first highlight of the album.

Narc: This song sees the band slow down after Evil but they don't let the quality go. This is a brilliant song and builds into a brilliant chorus with fantastic lyrics.

Take You On A Cruise: This is an epic track and is almost the best on the album. I can't say much more to be honest. Simply stunning.

Slow Hands: Another single and it really picks up the pace for the album. The chorus and middle eight of this song deliver much joy and you will listen to it again and again.

Not Even Jail: A pulsating intro to this song soars into a fantastic verse and breathtaking chorus. For me, this is the highlight of the album and needs to be heard, for the chorus alone. Amazing!

Public Pervert: Another good filler track but it tends to drag on. A good song nonetheless!

C'Mere: Another brilliant single from the band. This is a great song and is great live.

Length Of Love: Similar structure to Slow Hands but a song that stands on it's own two feet. Needs to be heard. The lyrics are stunning.

A Time To Be So Small: A fantastic outro by Inerpol. Epic.

Overall, i love this album! It is very different (apart from Editors!) and shows a brilliant band in the prime of their careers.

Buy it now!

5.0 out of 5 stars My Album of the Year, 8 Feb 2005
This review is from: Antics (Audio CD)
I first heard Interpol in HMV a few months ago. I did what I can't remember doing since I was a teenager (I'm now, erm, past my Thirties) and asked the assistant what was playing. He told me it was Interpol and the song was from a compilation for a TV show called 'The OC'. I wasn't prepared to buy a CD with mostly 'Sk8r' rock, but he led me to the 'I' section of the shop, where I found they had two albums out.
For the first time in years I bought not one but two albums by a band I'd only heard about 2 minutes of. And what a great decision! Like others I hear Joy Division (I was a teen in 1980): I also hear a band called The Chameleons in there, but I don't suppose anyone remembers them :o)

5.0 out of 5 stars perfection - 10/10, 14 Oct 2005
This review is from: Antics (Audio CD)
this is truly an exceptional follow-up to the great debut "turn on the bright lights". I think this album is far better because it's far more consistent.Some of the songs weren't so great on the last one whereas almost every song or every song on here is great.
It fits together so well and if you are listening to it for the first you'll wonder why me and so many others rate this so highly.It's a real grower - simple as that.Although the tracks seem nothing at first,with every listen it improves and there seems to be something new to every track that didn't stand out before.
The guitar playing is exceptional,the songs build up,twist and turn,go places you wouldn't expect and after a while you'll find yourself believing this is actually a catchy album,albeit after 10 or more listens.
"Narc" even has a dancy kind of groove in the background,as does the exceptional "slow hands".The sound is very dark and these have been copmpared to Joy Division and rightly so.
This album is a classic that you have to buy to understand how good it is, my only warning being that while you might love it if you understand it, you wont love it if you like easy-to-listen-to music and simple pop and not much else.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gloomy, yet great., 23 Jan 2005
face (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Antics (Audio CD)
Interpol were one of the first bands that i have loved. I am a teenager and my friend and I were at an interpol concert, interpol are an intelligent band and this comes across in their music. Many students like the gloomy sound of interpol. whether you like the vocals of Paul Banks , the enigmatic drumming of Sam Fogarino, the great guitaring of Daniel Kessler or the superb style of Carlos D and his bassing, Interpol are great and Antics is just as good as their debut in my opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent stuff, 17 Nov 2004
P. M. Dalton "unovisions" (england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Antics (Audio CD)
What a great album and gone even further with the excellent sound from the "Turn On The Bright Lights" . Only heard it a few times and already love it. Stand out tracks for me the excellent "slow hands", could listen to the chorus for so much longer though, its hypnotic. "Length of love" and "A time to be so small" but that doesn't take anything away from the rest of the songs they are all great. Definate candidate for album of the year I would think, its truly superb. Wanna the next one now, leaves you begging for more of these tunes.

5.0 out of 5 stars BUY IT NOW!, 26 Feb 2006
By A Customer
This review is from: Antics (Audio CD)
Having only read other peoples reviews and not heard any Interpol songs, I gambled buying based on the comparisons with Joy Division, The Furs, The Strokes, etc. Although now having listened to both Antics and Turn of the Bright Lights over 10 times each, they are only vaguely similar to the above artists but that doesn't mean they're not as good - Interpol are my favourite band out now with some stiff competition out there (Strokes, Editors, etc) and although I initially preferred their first album, Antics has grown to be even better. GONE ON BUY IT!

5.0 out of 5 stars A True Classic, 11 May 2011
This review is from: Antics (Audio CD)
I had to buy this again as my ex is taking his copy and i can't bear to be without it! a useless review except to say one of the best alternative rock albums in years.

5.0 out of 5 stars SIMLPY GENIUS, 24 Jan 2008
P. Gallagher "SOUTHERN MONKEY" (WEST SUSSEX) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Antics (Audio CD)
This is one of the best albums I've heard in years and to my mind the best Interpol have made-for a previous reviewer Thom to give it 1 star is a disgrace-it is an absolute epic album that gets better & better the more you play it revealing more each time. There is not a bad track here but obvious highlights are Evil,Narc, Take You on a Cruise & the awesome Slow Hands.

Classic is an over used phrase but it is fully justified in this case

Antics
Antics by Interpol (Audio CD - 2004)