Format: DVDChange

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 10 February 2010
This is an interesting fifty-minute documentary on the re-invented Elizabethan Globe Theatre on the south bank of the Thames. It opens with the tale of its creation from its inception in the mind's eye of Sam Wanamaker to its opening. It features archive film of its construction.

Mark Rylance, actor and the theatre's first artistic director, introduces us to the auditorium, whilst actor James Garnon shows us life behind-the-scenes. We also learn of the institution's extensive education and community schemes, as well as seeing its exhibition area, the preparations made for productions, the music, and the costumes.

It is very much a relaxed and engaging film, with Rylance referring to the Globe as an irreverent place. Never bored, I enjoyed the film very much and look forward again to attending one of the Globe's productions.
on 12 December 2013
This film starts just about the time the theatre opened to the public. It is a pity that the early history is not covered. Sam Wannamaker had a terrible time getting it started. Everybody, including myself, thought he was out of his mind. However it is now open and is enjoying enormous success. For what it is, this DVD is entertaining and gives a good insight into this remarkable building.
on 3 April 2013
Oh dear! This is produced with the very best of intentions and, to be fair, it does tell the story of the new 'Globe Theatre' adequately. There are some interesting details about performance, music and costume too. The whole is presented in a very 'luvvies' manner however with elements of high camp gushing up all over the place! Well, it is theatre I suppose! Whether the Irish guy lovingly stroking the outer skin of the Globe's structure has captured the imagination of my not entirely committed pupils is another matter. I did yawn myself - at the back, in the dark - noises off! I think a professional acting group should have wowed me up but it all seemed to be a bit too much of an effort.
on 6 April 2015