5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Close Ups, 6 Oct 2008
A. Roberton "Alan Roberton" (Hinckley, Leicestershire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Sigma 105mm f2.8 EX DG Macro Canon Fit Lens (Electronics)
I have had this lens for about a year now and must admit it has far outreached my expectations. I wanted a close up lens for nature photography and have found this little baby exceptional - so long as the camera is on a tripod the crispness of the photos is remarkable. For a macro close up lens this really does a great job and for that alone I would give 5 stars. However, as a portrait lens it is amazing. Colour balance and optical clarity is as good as a Canon lens, so considering that I only bought this lens for macro work, I feel I have really struck gold.

I am from the old school of film, manual settings and focussing, long evenings in my smelly dark room, long waits for colour prints and so much disappointment at wrong settings etc. This digital age is amazing and no way would I go back to 'good old film' and all that it entails. Having this lens on my Canon EOS30D is a marriage made in heaven. It also brings out the photographer in me once again, simply by being fixed, as opposed to zoom, it means I have to use my feet to find the right spot, causing me to take more care and time both framing and setting depth of field before I begin to press that shutter.

So there you have it. A brilliant macro lens and a superb portrait lens rolled into one.

UPDATE: 23rd January 21013

Last year I updated my EOS 30D to an EOS 50D and have to say that this lens and camera combination has allowed me to get some exceptional shots. As a macro lens some of my bumble bee and hover fly shots have exceeded all my expectations. I have used this lens for thousands of shots and can honesty say it is my most used and favourite lens and continues to come up with some fantastic photographs. My best lens ever, to my mind almost as good as an 'L' lens.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Quality, 24 Jun 2010
This review is from: Sigma 105mm f2.8 EX DG Macro Canon Fit Lens (Electronics)
This lens is just brilliant. The clarity of the produced images is superb.
It can sometimes be difficult when using it hand-held, but once you figure out the settings, you will be producing excellent results.
I found that setting my 450D to fully automatic often produced images with very shallow depth of field, so now I use Ap priorty and set the aperture to around F8 ro F10.
The macro capabilities are far better than I had hoped, and this lens should be a part of any photographers kit.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good starter macro lens, 5 Mar 2010
Darren Simons (Middlesex, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Sigma 105mm f2.8 EX DG Macro Canon Fit Lens (Electronics)
I bought this macro lens as I wanted to do some basic macro photography using a full-size sensor.. Firstly I can definitely recommend that 100mm focal length is ideal for starting at macro - 50mm is just too wide (probably more use for portraits) and 150mm is just too expensive.

This Sigma lens is solidly built and certainly doesn't feel plastic at all - it's part of the EX range which are the top tier of Sigma lenses (easy to spot by having a gold ring at the end of the lens). Focussing is sharp and as a keen amateur I certainly can't see any shortcomings in this lens in terms of quality (f2.8 is certainly wide enough for me as even at that aperture I can throw the sharpness on macro shots very easily - I actually found I was using f4 most the time as the sharpness was falling off too quickly so focus has to be spot on)

There are a few things I don't really like about this lens though. The auto-focus is quite slow (especially when compared to the USM Canon equivalent, albeit quite a bit more expensive), and the collar which is used to select auto or manual focus is quite clumsy and just doesn't feel right. That said for most pure macro work you're best off using the manual mode and once in that setting the control is pretty good.

My other complaint is that if you put a UV filter on you can't put the cap on - this is because the cap fits the inside of the front of the lens in a slightly different way to most lenses... easily rectified with either not using the UV filter (which is fine since the front of the glass is set a long way back from the front of the lens so is difficult to damage) or buying a suitable cap (prob £10).

5.0 out of 5 stars Cracking macro, portrait and telephoto lens, 20 Aug 2010
This review is from: Sigma 105mm f2.8 EX DG Macro Canon Fit Lens (Electronics)
Bought this to do some macro photos and have ended up using it also for some great portrait shots and general telephoto work. It is a fast lens which is good for low light or short DOF, and in good light focussing is quick and precise. I use it on my Canon 40D and it feels nice on the camera. For real close up work a tripod is a must as you have to use f8 or more to get some depth into the photo. Love it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great mid-range Macro Lense, 19 Nov 2007
S. Bashir (Reading, Berkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sigma 105mm f2.8 EX DG Macro Canon Fit Lens (Electronics)
I purchased this lense after reading a review and taking a look at the Sigma site. I am relatively new to Macro photography and didn't want to spend silly amounts of money on an area of photography I was currently only curious about. The 105mm range of this lense gives you a good enough distance from your subject to get a 1:1 of your given subject. From an amateur perspective this was a great Macro investment, the level of detail will totally amaze you if you have not managed to get good close-up pictures at macro level and it is a different world once you're there lol.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent portrait lens, 13 Oct 2009
T. Mckeon (Drogheda,Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sigma 105mm f2.8 EX DG Macro Canon Fit Lens (Electronics)
Although this lens is marketed primarily as a Macro lens.I purchased this lens for my Canon EOS 450D for use as a portrait lens.The results are fantastic.I never used a lens whose aperture was wider than f3.5,the difference in depth of field at f2.8 105mm is incredible..Crystal clear images are obtained at both the lower end and higher end of the aperture range.When using the AF on my camera,I found you need to switch to MF in order to obtain pin sharp images.I would definitely recommend this lens.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sharp lens, great quality, 19 Mar 2013
Jennifer Mccormick (northern ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sigma 105mm f2.8 EX DG Macro Canon Fit Lens (Electronics)
My son bought this lens in 2008 to use with his Canon 400D and seeing the images taken with it, they look great. He has used it with a Canon 500D and 600D and has not needed a new macro lens since. This is what he said about it:

The lens is sharp, you can get close up to a subject and photograph small objects clearly, such as small insects. I have used this since I got it in 2008 and have used it a lot, and now use mine with my Canon 600D to take videos of flowers and insects with, and its still great. The motor on mine did stop working and it didn't focus, but after 4+ years of using it a lot, I expected something to happen. Sent mine back to Sigma, £85.99 fix which included a motor replace and cleaning the optics. Wouldn't be without the lens as I use it a lot for filming YouTube videos and photographing insects and wild plants.

It can be a little hard to use hand held and taking photographs of moving butterflies myself, I know its not always easy getting the subject in focus and getting the shot before the butterfly is gone, except in bright light, so using a tripod is recommended for a lot of work. Also, the manual focus is much better than auto focus, so much so, I don't use the auto focus anymore and always use manual. You can check out my videos here: [...] most of the flower videos were taken with the Sigma lens as well as the Canon 18-55mm IS lens.

Hope that helps!

5.0 out of 5 stars Macro Lens, 20 April 2009
This review is from: Sigma 105mm f2.8 EX DG Macro Canon Fit Lens (Electronics)
Great product, good price, good supplier. Have had some fantastic results from this excelllents Sigma lens.

Sigma 105mm f2.8 EX DG Macro Canon Fit Lens