5.0 out of 5 stars The X Files will truly stand the test of time
Published on 7 Jun 2007 by Gwen Parkinson

2.0 out of 5 stars Excellent SciFi tv series sadly spoilt by poor DVD transferquality
X Files was an exceptional tv series. I thoroughly enjoyed it and would recommend it to anyone. The series was originally sold as VHS (remember them?) and these DVDs appear to be a transfer from those VHS tapes. You can definitely see scanning artifacts on scenes of 'high motion'. If this is from the original production recordings, which I doubt, then it would be better...
Published 3 months ago by Edward Soland

5.0 out of 5 stars The X Files will truly stand the test of time, 7 Jun 2007
This review is from: The X Files: Season 1 [DVD] [1994] (DVD)
I find it hard to believe that up until buying these DVD boxsets, I didn't see that many full episodes of The X Files on their original showing in the 1990's and I can't really make any excuses for this other than I just couldn't be bothered at the time even though I knew that I would love it if I watched it properly, although looking at the BBC air dates of each episode featured in the booklet (very nicely done) of this season one boxset and some of the other seasons, I am kind of glad that I didn't because acccording to this information, some of the episodes were not shown in the correct order and I really hate it when programmes are treated this way. Anyway like I said, I may have missed out properly the first time round but thankfully these boxsets have given me a second chance to appreciate something that I already knew, that this is one of those programmes that I truly believe will stand the test of time.

First of all I find Mulder and Scully very likeable lead characters and not in anyway annoying or shallow. Their relationship in this starts as nothing, but overtime their trust for each other gets stronger and stronger and this is done in a very quiet and clever way as to never get too much in the way of each story. Another great thing about this programme is that everybody that as seen it has their favourite episodes and not so favourite which proves how diverse it is. Personally I don't think there is such a thing as a bad episode of The X files, I believe people only think this because of the high standard of the ones that they do like. Anyway, this is where I am going to end my comments about this fantastic programme as I can't see the point in spoiling it for anyone that has never seen it. I just want to give a special mention in particular to these M-lock boxsets in the way that they are designed, out of all the boxsets that I own, these are definetly up there with the best of them and find them very tidy and unlike some they don't take too long to open. Also, there are some nice extras, for example a PC game, international clips which I find amusing, Chris Carter talking about certain episodes and TV adverts for every single episode, which strangely I also enjoy, so these are excellent value for money.

So one final comment on the programme itself, if like me you don't want sky TV and you never saw this properly first time round or are just too young to remember it and are interested in anything to do with UFO's and the Paranormal, then like me you are in for an advert freezone, watch at your own pace, absolute treat and remember THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE (sorry I tried but just couldn't resist).

5.0 out of 5 stars 24 Movies for this price?, 29 Dec 2004
Simon McMahon "Film Buff" (Chelmsford, Essex, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The X Files: Season 1 [DVD] [1994] (DVD)
I was a big fan of the X-Files when they were shown on the BBC back in the mid 90's. Unlike most other primetime shows, these mini-movies were beautifully shot and lit, the use of realistic lighting in many scenes juxtaposing with the use of abstract lighting in others. Deep shadows were common place, again a relativly new style then, though its legacy can be seen in many of the shows that followed.
Revisiting the X-File after 10 years really brought back to me why I loved this show. The stories are well crafted, the acting is, on the most part excellent (I've decidided that David Duchovney is one of the only actors who can cry convincingly on screen!). It has humour, horror, action and conspiracy, what more could you want?
But where the X-Files really excels is in the fact that it treats its audience as if it is intelligent, there are few "dead scenes" filled with needless recaps or explanations. This allows each 43 minute episode to speed along at quite a pace, fitting into each a lot more story than you are likely to find in most 2 hour Hollywood thrillers today.
This is TV at its best, the BBC killed the X-Files off for me with its bizarre scheduling of the later series'. With this pretty cheap but excellent DVD release I can at last, discover the truth! When you consider a Star Trek boxset sells for 70 odd pounds, this is an amzing bargain. By the 1st series as a test. I should warn you though, you will be hooked and with 9 series to get through, you'll have plenty to sate your appetite.

5.0 out of 5 stars The start of something great..., 5 April 2006
This review is from: The X Files: Season 1 [DVD] [1994] (DVD)
There's something about season 1 of the X Files that I just love. It's a much simpler time for the series, without the presence of complicated mythology story arcs and in jokes. The X Files at this time, was a whole new concept. And we're given some of the darkest and strangest episodes of the entire 9 years that the show ran.
The X Files season 1 presents stand alone stories of top quality horror. The alien episodes themselves are fascinating, leaving the audience desperate for the truth that won't even be hinted at for another two years.
The stand alone eps are arguably better in this series than any other. My personal favourites include "Darkness Falls" and "Ice" in which Mulder and Scully are terrorised by agent bugs released from a cut down tree and trapped in an antarctic research lab where there's a parasite infecting the team...
Buy this series if you're just getting started, or if you want some horror/sci fi stories that can just be watched without worrying about the back story.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best science fiction has to offer on modern television., 9 May 2007
This review is from: The X Files: Season 1 [DVD] [1994] (DVD)
Of late there has been a renaissance of middle to good sci-fi programming on television, both from the United States (Eureka, Heroes, The 4400, the short lived Invasion,Surface and Threshold as well) and the United Kingdom (Dr. Who, Torchwood, Primeval). However, none of these match the X-Files for sheer entertainment, consistent quality scriptwriting and the most appealing leads ever to grace the small screen, Mulder and Scully. Yes, by today's cgi standards some of the episodes seem ugly but by the second season, the show had larger budgets and better production values, quality that still holds up 14 years after the first episode and 5 years after the last. Yet, it was the sheer variety of stories - the stand alone episodes of horror, the paranormal and how warped nature can be as well as the alien invasion conspiracy arc - that were fascinating and compelling. In many of the episodes you could sense the paranoia, the creeping horror and you got the feeling that little in the world was under control. None of the other modern series even come close to this and tend to be more graphic and leave little to the imagination.

Season 1 had a far lower budget than the latter seasons and it sometimes shows, especially in episodes like "Ghost in the Machine" and "Space" which are now dated and seem out of place, but these were more than compensated for by episodes like "Squeeze" and "Tooms" and the best ones like "Darkness Falls", "Ice", have yet to be bettered. Of the alien conspiracy arc, "Fallen Angel", "E.B.E" and the "The Erlenmeyer Flask" set the stage for the following seasons and rank as some of the best despite the low production values. Once the show was a world-wide hit by the end of the season, the budgets got bigger and the stories less humble and yet remained compelling and gripping largely due to the scripts and great direction and, of course, the characters of Mulder and Scully whose relationship continued to evolve as the series progressed leading to the irony that the better each understood and appreciated the other, the farther they physically went apart culminating with the disappearance of Mulder in the seventh season. This however, only led to good things and new characters were introduced mirrored the Mulder-Scully relationship with Scully now taking the place of Mulder in the face of disbelief.

Unlike the minority of reviewers who seem to find fault with the 1st season, this was the start of the best series ever in the last thirty years in any genre and it only got better. It is far more intelligent than many of the shows I mention above and even after having viewed each season twice over the last three years on dvd and three times altogether including the initial televison broadcast, I would prefer to watch "The X-Files" again and again than the repeating the likes of "Invasion", "The 4400" "Primeval" and even "Torchwood". "The X-Files" raised the bar for quality programming and many of these shows above owe a great deal to it and yet have never bettered it.

Regardless of whether you believe or not, whether you accept the series as just great entertainment or a mirror of how politics, war and society are administered in the 21st Century, in Bush's America, the X-Files do not seem out of place and merely serve to remind us all how little we truly know of what really goes on.

Take my word for it. Buy all the seasons while they are on sale. You can buy the entire series for just under £115. Avoid the "Complete Collection" box as it is just a cheap carton housing the seasons 1 - 9 series and there have been many reports of cheap discs and cases that have been damaged. Instead buy the separate season sets housed in the "M-Lock" cases. They are the same as the initial digipack sets including all the special features and while they are not as pretty they are more durable.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Value, 10 April 2006
Coincidence Vs Fate - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The X Files: Season 1 [DVD] [1994] (DVD)
Now, I was no big fan of the X-Files. I remember watching the majority of Season One on BBC2, but even at the time I started losing interest.

Ever one for an eye for a bargain, I bought Season One purely because it was cheap. I thought I'd relive a few memories, stick it on eBay and that would be that. How wrong, I was. I watched Season One in about two weeks -the wife wasn't best pleased, I can tell you.

I really got into it and enjoyed it much more than I did first time around. What gripped me was the threads of paranoia and the quest for The Truth that ran through many of the episodes. [...]

The Season climax was thrilling. Luckily, I'd spent more than I care to think at Amazon Jersey for the rest of the seasons. At the moment, I've just started Season Three. It's great to discover everything I'd missed first time around. It's true, there are a couple of duff episodes per season, but the majority of them are excellent stuff.

Remember, the truth is out there and at these prices, it's cheap too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Scully:I think there's something up there Mulder. Mulder:Ooh, I've been saying that for YEARS., 9 Aug 2007
This review is from: The X Files: Season 1 [DVD] [1994] (DVD)
I originally developed my love for this show a mere 4 months ago, when Living TV were playing Season 2.I'm one of the next generaton of X-Philers, being a teenager - daughter of the one with the credit card. My brother, older and wiser, had often said I would really enjoy the show if I ever sat down to watch it, and when I did it was brilliant.

Series 1.The era of puffy hair and huge glasses.I loved it from Pilot with the Cancer Man smoking in the background and the very first thing Mulder said to Scully"Sorry,nobody in here but the F.B.Is most unwanted!":D.Theres a huge range of cases here(shattering my pre-conceived notions that they ran around after aliens all the time)men who can squeeze into the smallest space imaginable, telepathic physco-murderers,pyro-maniacs,scary protective dead guys,time-loss,alien abductions all sprinkled with a fine layer of goverment consperacies,paranioa and danger. And Mulder and Scully themselves are fantastic-the chemistry between the two leads is awesome, Mulders determined belief and dry wit, and Scully's determined scepitism and ability to come up with a logical explanation for just about anything make for brilliant TV.

I suppose you could argue it's outdated(Ghost In The Machine*cough*)but I can't see it.Sure the graphics and special effects are jaded but hey, who really cares?Me, I just loved seeing Scully emerge from the vent to save Mulder and destroy the physco super computer. Who cares when the cases are so original(and have been the basis of many horror movies since),the script so funny, and the FBIs most unwanted so freakin brilliant?(Although they seemed to have an odd way of NEVER speaking of previous cases in any great detail in this Season, or screaming, or freaking out- not Mulder and Scully!)

So if you like The X-Files at all you have to buy this. The most original and best TV show ever made.THE X-FILES ROCK!!!

Scully:"The truth IS out there Mulder. You just have to look for it."
Mulder:"That's why they put the I in FBI."*grins*

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the money, 20 Oct 2004
This review is from: The X Files: Season 1 [DVD] [1994] (DVD)
I bought the first three seasons of the X-Files when they were released a week or so ago and I have to say how impressed I am with them. I have always been a fan of the series but due to the lack of consistent broadcasting of this show in the UK, I found that I missed more episodes than I saw. The release of these 7 disc season sets prove to be a wonderful way to enjoy this show in full and so I jumped at the opportunity to buy them.
Firstly, the packaging of this set is top notch! It has a really beautifully designed picture sleeve containing a more conventional DVD case, only much thicker. Inside this are the 7 DVD's containing all the season's episodes. A bonus disc with additional material is also included, which is more of a necessity these days than a luxury but is nice to find all the same. Luckily, you get a booklet with details on each episode and an index explaining exactly which epidode's are on which disc. Really handy when you have so many shows to go through! The whole setup is really well done with animated menu's and intro's for each of the discs and a fool-proof episode selector which also allows you to view international clips in Japanese, Italian, Spanish, German etc from various episodes! Just one of the nice little features which could easily have been left out. The picture and sound quality is absolutely AMAZING and I seriously wouldn't have thought I was watching something taped over 10 years ago. Everything is sharp and crisp and this is without doubt the perfect way to enjoy this wonderful series in it's entirety. I will definitely be buying the remaining season's once they are released and I would recommend this set to both existing fans of the series and newcomers alike. Definitely worthy of 5 out of 5 stars!

5.0 out of 5 stars So, so good!, 4 Jun 2007
This review is from: The X Files: Season 1 [DVD] [1994] (DVD)
Season 1 of the x files is brilliant!. A must have for any TV fan! Don't be put off by the lower production budgets for this season, this was because the writers didnt know where the show was going, or that it would end up so successful! This season is brilliant regardless. Mulder & Scully are brilliant next to each other, with sexual tension that you could cut with a knife. epiosdes in season 1 are just self-contained drama's, rather than a connected season, but it gets you hooked on the show, which gets better, and better and better each season!

Buy it, its awesome.

5.0 out of 5 stars Groundbreaking Sci-fi, 19 Mar 2008
R. Mullaney (Leeds, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The X Files: Season 1 [DVD] [1994] (DVD)
When the X-Files hit screens in the 90's it became an instant cult phenomenon across the world due to its highly original plots and fantastic special effects. The X-Files follows the work of two of the FBI's best looking agents, Fox Mulder (Duchovny) and Dana Scully (Anderson) as they investigate paranormal unsolved cases of murder, abduction and UFO sightings. Although it looks very dated now and the effects aren't quite as exciting, The X-Files remains a groundbreaking show.

What the X-Files does so well is having 24 different tales of the paranormal in a season, any of which could be a movie, whilst at the same time having an intriguing ongoing plot of government coverups and conspiracy throughout all nine seasons. A whole wealth of exciting characters come and go but then there are always the shadowy figures of the US government popping up here and there, keeping the viewer guessing as to the extent of the secrets all the time.

Duchovny is excellent as the open minded and brilliant agent who is haunted by his younger sisters abduction years before. His eagerness to believe in the supernatural is offset by the sceptical Scully who was assigned to the X-Files to babysit Mulder's investigations and report back on his work. The two form a friendship and together they meet alien abductees (Fallen Angel), murderous genetic mutants (Squeeze), psychic serial killers (Beyond the Sea) and a very nasty parasitic worm (Ice). There are some duff episodes, The Jersey Devil isn't up to the standard set by the pilot, nor is Ghost in the Machine or Miracle Man but they are far outweighed by the quality writing and direction of Eve, Lazarus and Tooms.

The X-Files would continue improving way into the fourth series and sadly decline after that but for any sci-fi fan this is essential viewing at a bargain price.

Like this? Try: The Outer Limits

5.0 out of 5 stars Where It All Began, 8 Oct 2007
Robbie Swale - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The X Files: Season 1 [DVD] [1994] (DVD)
It's funny to think it now, but I started watching X Files with my mum as a nine year old, and watched it almost without missing an episode until the final series came to an end in 2003. Funny because that feels like a long time ago now that Agent Scully walked into the little basement office inhabited by 'Spooky' Mulder in order to spy on him and gradually come to realise that maybe there are some paranormal happenings in the world...

I gave this box set to my mum for her birthday in March, and we calmly and steadly worked our way through it. What really amazes me is that the X Files does not look dated - either in content or style - and conjures the same tention that it did all those years ago. In fact, the only things that looks dated are Scully's hair and her jackets.

The episodes in Series One are mainly one-off investigations into the paranormal, often touching on myths and legends (the Jerzy Devil), and often pushing at the boundries of what my stomach could manage (Ice). There are some of the most classic episodes X Files ever produced (Stretch), and there are echoes and hints at the conspiracy filled series that follow, and that will probably be remembered as the trade mark of the X Files.

Make no mistake, for me the X Files was a formative series - Mulder's mocking grin is as reassuring to me as the opening chords of Wonderwall - but that doesn't change the fact that the X Files is a total classic, and that this series is the most easily accessible for new fans, and the one it's easiest to dip in and out of. I can't recommend X Files enough to anyone, and for fans and newcomers alike, Series One is the only place to start.

The X Files: Season 1 [DVD] [1994]
The X Files: Season 1 [DVD] [1994] by David Duchovny (DVD - 2004)