4.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully Human: Words & Sounds Vol 2
Second albums are tricky, and in the case of Jill Scot, there's a lot to live up to.
Who is Jill Scott was/is an impressive album, one that made an immediate and indelible impact on me as soon as I heard it.
Published on 13 Sep 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars I'm disappointed, but I think it'll grow on me...
"Who is Jill Scott" was one of those albums that your friend told you about, or you heard at a party, and when you finally bought the CD you knew most of the songs and wondered why you hadn't bought it sooner.
Her first albums' probably my most played and I had high expectations of her new album. Sadly, it doesn't live up to the first. It's not as gritty, lacks...
Published on 10 Sep 2004 by Mr. J.W.P - Wilmslow

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully Human: Words & Sounds Vol 2, 13 Sep 2004
This review is from: Beautifully Human: Words & Sounds Vol 2 (Audio CD)
In my opinion, Beautifully Human: Words & Sounds Vol 2, is a very different entity indeed. Where Who is... instantaneously became a firm favourite, I think that Beautifully Human will need time to seep into my subconscious.
Scott's voice is amazing, delicate when it needs to be, and powerful when emphasis is warranted, distinctive in an overcrowded and sometimes unexceptional marketplace. I never get the feeling that she uses five notes when one will do, that she over-singing a song.
Usually it's the melody that grabs my interest first, but because Scott is a wordsmith, with a marvellous way with words, I took the time to really listen to what she was singing about. And what she has to say is a wonderful mix of pertinent and personal.
Standouts:
I Am Not Afraid
The Fact Is (I Need You)
Cross My Mind
Bedda At Home
Talk To Me (Break It Down)
Family Reunion
Rasool

Just to name a few.
If you love Jill Scott, buy this album. If you don't know Who Jill Scott is, buy this album. I think you just might grow to love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars It's really this good, 13 Feb 2005
This review is from: Beautifully Human: Words & Sounds Vol 2 (Audio CD)
Bought this record and instantly enjoyed it. However, it was not until subsequent listens that I felt the true beauty and sweetness and of Jill Scott.
I'm now in that mode where you've got to try and ration myself from the addictive bliss of hearing tracks like "Crazy", "I Keep", "The Fact Is (I Need You)" and "Still Here".
A genuine classic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Intimately involved, 9 Feb 2005
This review is from: Beautifully Human: Words & Sounds Vol 2 (Audio CD)
Sometimes I feel embarrassed when listening to this album. Why? Don't you feel like you are listening to her private conversations? Her private thoughts? Its like Jill is speaking to me and only me when I listen to her album and I know this is not the case because its what platinum now? I love this album and I still do not have a favourite song. I think every song is so relevant, and I especially lilke Track 10 because its so honest about being 'truly sorry' about being the 'bad' person in the relationship ("When you were busy loving me, I was busy too")...I also love Track 9, at the Family Reunion, I feel like I am there, or its my family...Ah I dont even want to go on with any more cliches...
This album has been stuck in my CD player since the beginning of Jan 2005 and I am not bored yet.

5.0 out of 5 stars The case for having a '6 stars' rating ..., 1 Oct 2004
This review is from: Beautifully Human: Words & Sounds Vol 2 (Audio CD)
I agree with some that it's a bit of a grower, but I've figured that that's how it is with really good new creative stuff that sounds like nothing you've heard before, recently anyway.
After listening to this album with friends, in the car, just chillin', I have come to the conclusion that as good as the first album is, this one is even bedda!! Which is sayin something 'cos the first one came out of nowhere and blew all us fans away. But you can't keep creative talent down, both Jill and the production crew have composed a lovely album.
Just let 'whatever' catch you in the right mood, as it did me, and you'll never tire of pressing the back button, with its melodic tones that are reminiscent of the Marvin Gaye - 'what's goin on' bridge.
'That fact is', what a gorgeous tune (do-do-do-do...)! What lyrics - yeah you can pay the bills honey, but men are useful for some things! I can't get enough of 'talk to me', I just wish both sections of the song were doubled in length. Great to hear her sing with the 'big band' accompaniment, would love to hear it live. "Heyyeay, you jus runnin 'cross my mind'...", it doesn't stop, this is poetic vintage from Jill Scott keepin it short n sweet. 'Crazy' is another 'stirrer' for me. It has a great flow yet it's different, not the expected arrangement of instruments, but it works so well.
I could go on but I'm just craving to jump back in the car to listen to these tunes again. I must admit, I was getting impatient for some new stuff from Jill, such was my addiction, but right now, I'm high! I'm gone!!
Can't wait to see her live.

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautifully beautiful album, 22 Aug 2006
This review is from: Beautifully Human: Words & Sounds Vol 2 (Audio CD)
A more mature album than "Who is Gill Scott?" but equally as brilliant and personal. Gill shows you something of her soul with every line of every song. Her music is just so sexy isn't it?! If you love neo soul, funk, blues, jazz etc. you'll love this. I don't know anyone who has had the pleasure of hearing Gill Scott's velvety vocals, who doesn't love her.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully Human, 28 Sep 2004
This review is from: Beautifully Human: Words & Sounds Vol 2 (Audio CD)
The songstress does it again with a superb album of poetic and melodic constructions. A good range of tracks from the heart warming Family Reunion and The Fact Is (I Need You) to the upbeat BB King style blues of Bedda at Home, and the rueful Can't Explain. All pieces are lyrically fantastic and in recognisable Jill Scott style. I cannot recommend this album highly enough, it is an excellent buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Golden, 7 Jun 2006
MICHAEL ACUNA (Southern California United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Beautifully Human: Words & Sounds Vol 2 (Audio CD)
"Beautifully Human" is an apt expression for the vocal instrument that is Jill Scott's. In the tradition of singers as diverse as Roberta Flack, Beverly Sills or Lauryn Hill, Scott's voice is gorgeous, pliant and humanly human: strong, varied, sounding not like an trumpet or a saxophone, but like something emanating from the human voice box. She can sing loud, soft and in-between. Her voice is bold, big and beautiful. She is not a whispery wood nymph but a Wagnerian heroine: the Hip Hop Isolda.

Though she sings in the Hip/Hop/Nu-Soul tradition, Scott has always reminded me of the singers from the 40's and 50's like Billy Holliday (listen to "Can't Explain" on this CD) and Sarah Vaughn (if she were alive today I can hear Sarah singing "Golden"). Scott is more Holiday and Vaughn than she is Aretha; though she is very much of Today.

The songs on "Beautifully Human" are her best work since "Who is Jill Scott?" Her second CD, "Experience: Jill Scott" was Scott sowing her wild oats, though the studio stuff is first rate.

"Golden" is audacious, subtle, vocally pure and sexy with the charts and vocal arrangement as good as anything that Alicia Keys has put out. Both Keys and Scott share a love of 70's style songs ("Family Reunion") but haven't we had enough of the faked scratchy LP sound? I think so.

"Cross My Mind" is quite beautiful with the theme of a past love reawakened by the aroma of his cologne wafting by: "You sure did smell good."

"Beautifully Human: Words and Sounds II" is a love song to the talent of Jill Scott and a tribute to a woman whose shining and bright being cannot but emerge and imbue all of her music with the incandescent and transcendent beauty of her soul and heart.

4.0 out of 5 stars Glad I gave it a second chance, 24 Jan 2006
This review is from: Beautifully Human: Words & Sounds Vol 2 (Audio CD)
As soon as this album came out I ordered it. I listened to it twice and couldn't feel it, maybe I was too over-excited so I wasn't listening to it in the right mode. I left it for a couple of months and went back to it and now I love it. I've just returned from Barbados where I saw her in concert (she came to the UK twice, I blinked and missed the shows so you can imagine...)she was awesome, big beautiful voice and she looks exactly as she does on the album cover big smile sexy brown eyes and you can tell she's just lovin' life. She delivered on stage unlike Ms Keys (meowww) who I heard managed to get in 2 costume changes and short changed the audience in the meagre 1hr 15mins of show time!! Even managed to see Jill as she left for her hotel and got a great pic on my mobile...lol.
The woman is a great entertainer, lyricist, poet, artist and just a genuine human being.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully Deep.., 17 Sep 2004
Mak (Lagos,Nigeria) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Beautifully Human: Words & Sounds Vol 2 (Audio CD)
i have to say that Jill Scott is a very brave woman. as an artist she's not afraid to bear her soul and stay true to that which she excels at: poetry.
she's a poet of the heart,tellin you things in her lyrics and songs that strike a poignant note in your heart, because on some level..you relate.
the song 'the fact is..(i need you)' has to touch you even if you are new to her music and a virgin to neosoul/acid jazz.
the strains of the music go smoothly and emotionally with the lyrics, so it carries you along..leadin you to other tracks like the funky heart warming 'Golden' which inspires you to look at the important things in your life.
i agree with the previous reviewer; she hasnt in any way let me down with this album...in fact, it feels like a worthy follow up to 'Who is Jill Scott?'.The whole album bears her very obvious trademark...realness..in the words and in the music; she keeps it real.
i have eagerly awaited this album and i am most satisfied with it.i hail the Queen of neosoul.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jill is definetly beautifully human indeed!!!!!!!!, 8 Sep 2004
This review is from: Beautifully Human: Words & Sounds Vol 2 (Audio CD)
When first hearing of Jill Scott a few years ago, I knew that she was a brilliant song writer and singer. But when hearing her debut "Who Is Jill Scott" I was blown away by her honesty, talent and charisma. I found her music fresh, funky and fun. Songs like "Do You Remember", "Gettin In The Way" and "Walk In The Park were some of the best songs on the album. After that I never thought the magic would be captured again on her second album "Beautifully Human". But I was wrong, not only is the album brilliant but is different from the first in the sense that the way she experiments with different music mediums. The songs I think are the best are:
Golden
Spring Summer Feeling
Talk To Me
Can't Even Explain
My Petition.
Buy this album it is worth every penny

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Beautifully Human: Words & Sounds Vol 2
Beautifully Human: Words & Sounds Vol 2 by Jill Scott (Audio CD - 2004)