5.0 out of 5 stars An energising, fulfilling and rewarding practice for all.
Published on 16 Sep 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars monotone and limited!!
This DVD offers a basic overview of some Ashtanga Yoga poses, but with a limited number of dynamic moves,repeated continually.
Published on 26 Jan 2005

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars An energising, fulfilling and rewarding practice for all., 16 Sep 2001
This review is from: Dynamic Yoga [VHS] (VHS Tape)
Yes, its challenging, holding the positions makes the muscles work harder and enables you to tune into your body and adjust if necessary as Godfrey talks you through everything. Those who want to build strength and flexibility should buy this video. Those who want an easy workout so they can say they are 'doing yoga' to their friends should steer clear. I find I am more relaxed, calm and sleep better. I hold the postures for as long as is comfortable for me at the time and maybe I can do a little more each practice but yoga isn't about competition, even with yourself. The format is different from other yoga videos on sale, Godfrey tells it like it is and is quite direct, but isn't that better than some smiley woman beaming out of the screen saying 'and streeettcchh, over we go, whittle that waist..'. If you're into that, that's fine too but for me this video is almost as good as having him as a personal instructor, and that's worth having!

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Intro to a this form of Yoga., 15 Nov 2001
This review is from: Dynamic Yoga [VHS] (VHS Tape)
Whilst fairly new to the art of Yoga, I'm hooked already thanks to Godfrey Devereaux and the Dynamic Yoga.
I am a keen fitness fanatic but needed something to complement the Weights, Cardio, Football and Squash.
This form of Yoga was the answer.
Split in sections it concentrates. 1)Warm-up, teaching you to relax and hold postures that relaxes & prepares your inner self). 2) Stances, that promote flexibility, and strength and a require a certain amount of concentration to achieve them. 3) Sitting postures, again allowing flexibility and inner calmness. 4) Floor postures, finishes off concentrating on strenghthening the back, abdomin and then relaxation over the whole body.
Whilst others reveiws have mentioned Godrey's narration as 'monotone', I found the style of instruction enables you to get lost in your own inner presence.
The video is well structured and the exercise as a whole rewarding. If like me you suffer form ailments as a result of a busy physical lifestyle, you should find this workout beneficial.
Yes you will sweat, yes you will have to put in some effort but there is an overwhelming feeling of relaxation and self being at the end.
For anyone looking to get into the more physical side of Yoga this is the video for you. Don't be fooled by some other so called 'block busting' Yoga videos that only seem to be a money making venture from the so-called stars appearing in them.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great yoga work out for someone with some experience, 10 Mar 2002
This review is from: Dynamic Yoga [VHS] (VHS Tape)
Having done yoga for several months now, I was looking for a workout I could do at home that was like a real class and Godfrey Devereaux's Dynamic Yoga is exactly that! I'd heard alot about Godfrey Devereaux being a very good teacher and on this video he lives up to his reputation.
The dynamic work of this ashtanga sequence is intense but flows slower than the ashtanga classes I have been to - which in its own way is a plus as you get more time to master the poses.
If you already know the postures that are done during the video (mainly those from the primary series), then you will find Devereux's instructions excellent as he gives just enough detail without over doing it. I also like the way he speaks as he is very direct and focused throughout.
Although the poses may seem simple to someone who is used to very advanced hatha or Iyengar, they are very strong and work your body like he promises. You truly get a dynamic workout and come away, after 75 (video broken down into very nice warm-up sequence followed by standing poses, sitting poses, and then floor poses/relaxation) minutes feeling great (perky yet also relaxed).
With loads of videos to choose from, I think it's hard to find an excellent one, however I definitely feel I have with Dynamic Yoga.

3.0 out of 5 stars monotone and limited!!, 26 Jan 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Dynamic Yoga [DVD] (DVD)
Obvious moves such as "Triangle pose" and similar stances are missed out. "Salute to the sun" is only done in part, and then not explained as such. No names are provided of any moves, except for "Dog", and the narrator does not explain the important Yoga "breath" ; where the student should be breathing from to do correct vinyasa. These facts will present some students with difficulty if using this video as the sole basis for their beginner work; then moving on to others. The narrator is also very "monotone"..not an inspiring speaker. Too much sitting work from a basic crossed leg pose.

5.0 out of 5 stars A dynamic workout for mind and body which left me floating ., 16 Feb 2002
This review is from: Dynamic Yoga [VHS] (VHS Tape)
I found this video to be a gateway to wellbeing, relaxation and a toned body. One feels as though every muscle has been used leaving a total feeling of calm.
It is sensibly divided up into sections so when you are short of time you could combine one, two or three sections and still benefit. My 3 year old son and I sometimes do the "standing" poses together afterwhich my helpful husband whisks him away so I can complete the relaxation alone! Whilst I have practiced yoga for 10 years I really do feel there is something for everybody in this video whether beginning or advanced. I particularly like this dynamic form of yoga which seems to appeal to both men and women. I have found it useful in improving my cardiovascular fitness which other more "static" forms of yoga do not incorporate.
The beach setting of this video makes you feel warm and calm. I really loved this video!

4.0 out of 5 stars highly effective but slightly tedious, 20 Mar 2001
This review is from: Dynamic Yoga [VHS] (VHS Tape)
Having completed a course in Astanga Yoga, and not being able to afford any more claases, I invested in this video. I was really surprised at the intensity of the workout. However, the instructor's voice can become a little draining after a while, and although the video is divided in to sections (very useful if you are stuck for time, and don't want to repeat the same thing over and over) each section can be a bit repetitious in itself.
I have never bought any other yoga videos, so I don't know how this compares, but I can say for now I am not tempted to - I think I handle a mundane voice for the rewards I get from it! I really did notice a change in body shape after only two weeks.
One word of warning, which is in agreement with one of the above reviews: there are no alternatives for less experienced viewers, so be careful when you are starting out, and don't push yourslef beyond your means, as you could end up really hurting yourself! If you bear this in mind, then this is an excellent video for both beginners and the more advanced - it is up to YOU to decide how hard you push yourself - if you are not finding the workout challneging, then you're not doing it properly!!!
For all people considering buying a yoga video who have had no previous experience, I would reccommend that you have at least one or two taught yoga sessions anywhere just to get a feel for it - often the mistakes you are making can only be seen by another person, so watch out!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Technique and Strength Builder, 24 Jan 2002
This review is from: Dynamic Yoga [VHS] (VHS Tape)
I happened upon this video just a year ago and have probably followed it at least twice a week since. I know that I am at the beginning of my yoga path but feel that this video has set me on the right path. Geoffrey's instructions are absolutely precise from the breath to the angle of the leg etc. He, of course, does the poses beautifully but the three students with him don't always (on purpose I would guess) and as he corrects them you can use their errors to correct your own. His voice is monotone but after a while you find that this allows you to concentrate on your own breathing and your own muscles rather than on the video. It is a hard practice and long too (75 minutes if you don't miss anything out) and will be tough for anyone to begin with if they are not fit. I was absolutely hopeless at the beginning but I stuck with it and have become much stronger especially in the upper body as a result. I also find that I am relaxed and in a better mood at the end of the tape. I can really recommend this video.

4.0 out of 5 stars Overall pretty good!, 1 Dec 2002
Gareth Williams (Staplehurst, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dynamic Yoga [VHS] (VHS Tape)
I have been doing Yoga on and off for about 3 years now,although I am no expert I thought I would venture my opinion as well. I have bought a couple of videos recently and I must say that this one is my favourite. I find the work out quite challenging and physically demanding, I think this video would certainly appeal to the younger, fitter person who is interested in getting to know more about Yoga and get a decent workout. However, what I did find a little lacking were explanations of the poses and more of the philosophy behind Yoga.
I would recommend that a person just getting started in Yoga gets this video only after they have tried a couple of other more basic explanatory videos or attended some classes. I would also recommend reading some books on the subject and learn more about the spiritual side to Yoga - as the practice of Yoga, and all the various postures, has developed in order to facilitate meditation - and not to loose weight or tone the body, as many of the stars video's seem to focus on!
Good video and an excellent workout, but I can't give it 5 stars due to the lack of explanations.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hard work but rewarding, 6 Mar 2001
This review is from: Dynamic Yoga [VHS] (VHS Tape)
This is an excellent video and not at all boring or easy as mentioned by a previous reviewer ( I also thought the ambient soundtrack fits the mood quite well).
I would consider myself reasonably fit but I have to say I was surprised at how challenging this workout is. The warm up is excellent and absolutely essential as the next stage, the standing postures, is where the hard work really begins,.... you will sweat buckets I can promise you that. If you are a relative beginner, take it easy and don't expect to complete the workout for quite a while. I found that initially that the warm up and the first two standing postures were all that I could manage (after that I did some easier postures I'ld learnt from a previous video) but after a few weeks you will be surprised how much progress you will have made.
I would also recommend this video to men as it is, shall we say, a little less femenine than some of the others available.
In conclusion this is an excellent workout and brilliant if you're on a budget as you only need to invest in a yoga mat, other than that you don't need any fancy gear.
Definetely recommended

4.0 out of 5 stars Challenging but very rewarding, 24 Jan 2001
This review is from: Dynamic Yoga [VHS] (VHS Tape)
As someone who has practiced a little Yoga in the past and who wanted a little bit more than just a series of postures, Dynamic Yoga looked very interesting.
Yoga is traditionally more than just a physical exercise, concentrating and relaxing the mind and for some (who may practice as part of their faith) a spiritual experiance.
I was impressed with Dynamic Yoga from the outset, as it focussed on proper breathing, correct posture and stability. The exercises are challenging but very rewarding, although it is important to proceed at your own pace and not to strain or force movements.
My one criticism is that there are no beginners postures demonstrated and I would be concerned that people could quite easily over-do it in their eagerness to follow the instructor.
In conclusion, an excellent video, perhaps more suited to those who have some experience, but if you are looking for a huff and puff macho workout then Yoga probably isn't for you.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Dynamic Yoga [DVD]
Dynamic Yoga [DVD] (DVD - 2005)
Used & New from: 26.97