5.0 out of 5 stars The Bestest Little Gift
Published on 7 Jan. 2006 by Lorna Morgan

My little boy has had this since he was around 7 months old, but as he's now 9 months and starting to stand and try to walk, the limitations of this toy as a "first walker" are very evident...

Published on 25 Feb. 2010 by Mr. L. M. Mcivor

5.0 out of 5 stars The Bestest Little Gift, 7 Jan. 2006
This review is from: VTech Baby First Steps Baby Walker (Baby Product)
This was a lovely gift for my son, he was 5 months and loved to lie down on his mat and kick the buttons, by 6 months he was sitting in front of it unaided and pushing the buttons, by 8 months I would prop it against the sofa and he would climb up the front to stand in front and play with the higher buttons and by 9 months he was pushing it around. Now he is 15 months and he still loves it. He still plays with the buttons and the phone and despite the use it has had it still looks new. I have not yet seen a design better than this in all the baby clubs we go to. This is the best walker on the market.

The wheels don't lock (none do) the idea is to use it for support when cruising and it's not a walker in the sense of the sit in style, so the baby must be quite steady and strong on their feet before attempting to push it along. It must be used with supervision, as not surprisingly the wheels will roll if the child pushes it, I found it quite sturdy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Adherence problem - the solution, 25 Dec. 2012
This review is from: VTech Baby First Steps Baby Walker (Baby Product)
This is a great toy for little one. We purchased this when our little one was 7 1/2 months old. She loved the various activities available on the front panel, and quickly started to use the walker to stand (note: she was already able to stand up by herself whilst holding on to something).

Obviously, the key function of this toy is to help Baby take her first steps. This works wonderfully - on carpet. As other reviewers have pointed out, the wheels slip and don't spin on slick surface (e.g., wooden floors). So when out little one started using the walker to walk (10 months old), its use was limited to carpeted areas of our flat. Worse, when she tried her luck on wooden floors, she lost confidence. Even on carpet, the walker was sometimes too fast for our baby.

Having checked reviews for other walkers, this seems to be a widespread issue with walkers.

Luckily, there is a solution.

I fitted the wheels with "homemade tyres". I put a few elastic bands on each wheel, kept in place by 3 thin strips of duck tape. Obviously, there is no need to ensure the elastic bands sit perfectly flat on the wheels. Quite the opposite actually,
This set up does the trick nicely. The walker's wheels now spin properly on every surface, and our little one can go wherever she wants.

4.0 out of 5 stars an excellent 2-in-1 educational toy for babies & toddlers, 22 Sept. 2007
This review is from: VTech Baby First Steps Baby Walker (Baby Product)
Pros: we bought this baby-walker about 2 weeks ago for our 8 m.o. daughter. she was already standing firmly on her legs and she also was able to move her feet in an attempt to walk, but nothing by herself. since then, she progressed impressively fastly and she now can 'walk' alone ... under a strict surveillance. the toy is just the right height&width.the interactive board is also quite entertaining & she likes lights and buttons, activities are good too with 2 educational modes (music and ABC). easy to handle & carry, it should be used quite often in many situations & independently from the walker.

Cons: nothing really serious... at the beginning it must be used under a strict surveillance as the baby will sooner or later fall (when tired or because of balance). when the baby falls or moves backwards, the toy might be pulled backwards at the same time(would be better if could be weighted on the front) but no risk of getting hurt with it as it's only made of light plastic. there's no way to 'block' the wheels unless we place it against an obstacle. but on the other hand, it's a great exercise to learn balance. so, as long as the baby is not walking firmly, it must be used under a close control.

4.0 out of 5 stars # hello puppy calling #, 19 Sept. 2014
Bess_Wheat - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: VTech Baby First Steps Baby Walker (Baby Product)
I would have given this 5 stars if the wheels had been better designed. As others have stated, they are far too fast on wooden floors and need a lock so it can be secured for younger non-walking babies. However, my baby (now 11 months and crawling) has had months of entertainment from this and I do have the song stuck in my head sometimes! This is not a worry for me though as she loves playing with the interactive removable front panel and the 2 modes mean there is lots of fun to be had. Overall definitely a good buy and I'm pleased we decided to buy this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great toy - hours of fun, 22 Jan. 2007
A. Lee (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: VTech Baby First Steps Baby Walker (Baby Product)
Bought this for my 11 month old daughter and she absolutely loves it. She was already cruising the furniture but this has helped her confidence in walking, which she is doing now just a few weeks later. The toy has a great range of sounds and music, and in an English accented voice rather than American like some of the other toys out there. Combines music, numbers and speech for a wide variety of interactive playtimes. Durable and bright, this will provide hours of entertainment for your child - my friend's 2 year old still enjoys playing with it. Highly recommended!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good with a few problems, 8 Jan. 2014
CycleRacing (England) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)
This review is from: VTech Baby First Steps Baby Walker (Baby Product)
Pro's: It is brightly coloured and interactive. It has been enjoyed by two children now and the telephone attachment has been a great success. My toddler, now she is a little old to use it as a walker spends hours chattering away to Peppa Pig on the the attached phone! Our one year old likes pressing all the buttons and seems to be learning some cause and effect from the product.

Con's: The only big draw back with this walker is the speed at which it takes off with child frantically clinging to it. Either child goes with it when learning to walk and falls flat on face or walker seems to take on a life of its own and shoot forward, leaving bewildered child wobbling precariously for a moment before falling. It is simply to fast for a child who is learning to walk.

Having said that, once the child is a little steadier on their feet but trying to gain confidence and steadiness, this walker is ideal.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not perfect but definitely worth buying!, 14 Nov. 2014
This review is from: VTech Baby First Steps Baby Walker (Baby Product)
We got this for our pre-walking daughter thinking she could play with it as a tablet before she walked with it, but I agree with a previous reviewer that the sounds are very typical Vtech and while varied they often start up by themselves and get quite annoying - especially as ours developed a fault and starts repeating on itself after it's been on a few minutes.
I would buy it again though and definitely recommend it because our daughter LOVES pushing it around our flat, it's light enough for her to manoeuvre by herself over stair gates and round corners and is the right height for her, a tall 18 month old. It doesn't work so well outside as it tends to fall over itself at the slightest bump and isn't good for use on grass. Our daughter also likes bringing us the phone to talk into.
In conclusion it's not perfect but for the price it's still a great buy, especially if you can get it on offer!

2.0 out of 5 stars A good toy, but not ideal for it's stated purpose as a "first steps walker", 25 Feb. 2010
Mr. L. M. Mcivor "Lee McIvor" (St Albans, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: VTech Baby First Steps Baby Walker (Baby Product)

Although the lights and buttons on the front provide lots of entertainment, the fact that you can't lock the wheels or control them in any way means that if your baby tries to stand up or push it using the handle, it runs away very quickly - and the handle then becomes the first thing to make contact with your baby's face or chin as it slides away!

I've seen one or two other reviewers say they prop it or lean it against something, which is what we've been doing, but this isn't a reliable way to make it safe, and for me it's a major failing of the toy design.

1.0 out of 5 stars DON'T PURCHASE THIS FROM THINK PRICE. OUR EXPERIENCE OF THEIR CUSTOMER SERVICE FOLLOWING A FAULT WAS SHOCKING!, 9 Mar. 2015
This review is from: VTech Baby First Steps Baby Walker (Baby Product)
Only two hours after opening this product, all the sound stopped working, much to the disappointment of my daughter who had, until that point, thought it was amazing. She especially loved opening the little door which then makes a peek-a-boo noise. We have now been trying for weeks to replace the item as when it is working correctly, it's a fantastic piece of equipment. The issue we have had is with Think Price who have supplied it. They have been very unhelpful in assisting us with it being repaired/replaced and we have subsequently had to go directly to the manufacturer to try and sort this out ourselves. Meanwhile.....our 12 month old baby doesn't have a toy with which to learn to walk......lets hope the manufacturer is more efficient than the seller!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great toy, 27 Jun. 2006
D. Saso (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: VTech Baby First Steps Baby Walker (Baby Product)
We bought this toy for my son's first b-day when he was just starting to walk. It really helped him to quickly develop the confidence to walk unaided. It folds up flat, so we took it away with us often when he was first walking. He's 19mths now and still plays with it -- from tearing around the house with it to playing with the piano/letter keys to dancing to the music. He also can say all the letters and words on the 'piano keys' -- undoubtedly from constant repetition! It also has withstood a great deal of wear & tear and still is in good condition. I highly recommend this toy.

VTech Baby First Steps Baby Walker