5.0 out of 5 stars The Bestest Little Gift
Published on 7 Jan 2006 by Lorna Morgan

My little boy has had this since he was around 7 months old, but as he's now 9 months and starting to stand and try to walk, the limitations of this toy as a "first walker" are very evident...

Published on 25 Feb 2010 by Mr. L. M. Mcivor

5.0 out of 5 stars The Bestest Little Gift, 7 Jan 2006
This review is from: VTech Baby First Steps Baby Walker (Baby Product)
This was a lovely gift for my son, he was 5 months and loved to lie down on his mat and kick the buttons, by 6 months he was sitting in front of it unaided and pushing the buttons, by 8 months I would prop it against the sofa and he would climb up the front to stand in front and play with the higher buttons and by 9 months he was pushing it around. Now he is 15 months and he still loves it. He still plays with the buttons and the phone and despite the use it has had it still looks new. I have not yet seen a design better than this in all the baby clubs we go to. This is the best walker on the market.

The wheels don't lock (none do) the idea is to use it for support when cruising and it's not a walker in the sense of the sit in style, so the baby must be quite steady and strong on their feet before attempting to push it along. It must be used with supervision, as not surprisingly the wheels will roll if the child pushes it, I found it quite sturdy.

4.0 out of 5 stars an excellent 2-in-1 educational toy for babies & toddlers, 22 Sep 2007
This review is from: VTech Baby First Steps Baby Walker (Baby Product)
Pros: we bought this baby-walker about 2 weeks ago for our 8 m.o. daughter. she was already standing firmly on her legs and she also was able to move her feet in an attempt to walk, but nothing by herself. since then, she progressed impressively fastly and she now can 'walk' alone ... under a strict surveillance. the toy is just the right height&width.the interactive board is also quite entertaining & she likes lights and buttons, activities are good too with 2 educational modes (music and ABC). easy to handle & carry, it should be used quite often in many situations & independently from the walker.

Cons: nothing really serious... at the beginning it must be used under a strict surveillance as the baby will sooner or later fall (when tired or because of balance). when the baby falls or moves backwards, the toy might be pulled backwards at the same time(would be better if could be weighted on the front) but no risk of getting hurt with it as it's only made of light plastic. there's no way to 'block' the wheels unless we place it against an obstacle. but on the other hand, it's a great exercise to learn balance. so, as long as the baby is not walking firmly, it must be used under a close control.

5.0 out of 5 stars Adherence problem - the solution, 25 Dec 2012
This review is from: VTech Baby First Steps Baby Walker (Baby Product)
This is a great toy for little one. We purchased this when our little one was 7 1/2 months old. She loved the various activities available on the front panel, and quickly started to use the walker to stand (note: she was already able to stand up by herself whilst holding on to something).

Obviously, the key function of this toy is to help Baby take her first steps. This works wonderfully - on carpet. As other reviewers have pointed out, the wheels slip and don't spin on slick surface (e.g., wooden floors). So when out little one started using the walker to walk (10 months old), its use was limited to carpeted areas of our flat. Worse, when she tried her luck on wooden floors, she lost confidence. Even on carpet, the walker was sometimes too fast for our baby.

Having checked reviews for other walkers, this seems to be a widespread issue with walkers.

Luckily, there is a solution.

I fitted the wheels with "homemade tyres". I put a few elastic bands on each wheel, kept in place by 3 thin strips of duck tape. Obviously, there is no need to ensure the elastic bands sit perfectly flat on the wheels. Quite the opposite actually,
This set up does the trick nicely. The walker's wheels now spin properly on every surface, and our little one can go wherever she wants.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 9 Sep 2014
Deborah - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: VTech Baby First Steps Baby Walker (Baby Product)
This is so good my grandson has two of them, sounds silly I know but he has one at home which he loves and now one at my house. I noticed it for £17.99 at Argos I checked the reviews and it sounded excellent I checked with my daughter before buying and she informs me that he'd been bought one by his auntie and he loved it, I looked around then with the intention of finding a different one but the reviews and the price put this one way ahead of everything else. I was a little worried that he wouldn't play with it as much since it was familiar but if anything the opposite seems to be the case he loves it. He's 7 1/2 months at the moments so he's getting to use all of it, he can sit and play with the front then provided it's backed up against something he can pull himself up, which he loves. He can walk a little bit while pushing it as long as I'm making sure it doesn't run away from him. The front is easy to transport so if I'm going somewhere I take it with me, he can sit in a highchair and play with it.
It's turned out to be an excellent buy my only regret is that I didn't get it sooner.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great but very noisy!, 5 Jun 2014
N. J. Mc (Hitchin, Herts) - See all my reviews
This review is from: VTech Baby First Steps Baby Walker (Baby Product)
Bought this for my little one as he started cruising. It is great with lots of interesting things for him to play with - but it is very noisy, annoyingly so! The main downside is you can't isolate the different features, so the child may start to play with the little keyboard, but if they pause for too long (about a couple of seconds) between pressing another one, one of the other musical jingles will kick in! It also randomly starts playing its music when no one is near it or playing with it, great if you've forgotten it's on! Apart from that it was a great walker for my toddler, as it was quite light weight (which some may see as a disadvantage as it can wizz along depending on your flooring -we have carpet, so it is not too bad), however my friend did loan us a traditional wooden walker with the bricks and as my little one got more proficient he found he could only go in a straight line, with this one he was able to turn it and change direction, much better in my opinion - although not as 'nice' to look at as the wooden ones.

4.0 out of 5 stars My son loves it, 13 Jun 2014
JEM (Edinburgh) - See all my reviews
This review is from: VTech Baby First Steps Baby Walker (Baby Product)
My son was given this by his granny for Christmas when he was about 6 months. He used it straight away. To be honest we mostly use it detached from the walker and sit him in front of it. At first he enjoyed pushing the piano keys and listening to the music. He was soon able to open the peekaboo door and press the cow. Then he started the spin the cogs then finally he could reach the triangle, square and circle at the top. Now he is 10 months and still enjoys playing with it. He loves to pull off and rattle the phone handset, pull the covers off the shapes and spin the orange and purple spinners at the bottom. He is now learning to walk but this is not really suitable to help with this as it has no break so it just keeps going when he is holding on and he topples over. It's not strong enough for him to pull himself up on. I guess as a walker it is not much use but as an activity toy it is fab.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great toy - hours of fun, 22 Jan 2007
A. Lee (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: VTech Baby First Steps Baby Walker (Baby Product)
Bought this for my 11 month old daughter and she absolutely loves it. She was already cruising the furniture but this has helped her confidence in walking, which she is doing now just a few weeks later. The toy has a great range of sounds and music, and in an English accented voice rather than American like some of the other toys out there. Combines music, numbers and speech for a wide variety of interactive playtimes. Durable and bright, this will provide hours of entertainment for your child - my friend's 2 year old still enjoys playing with it. Highly recommended!

2.0 out of 5 stars A good toy, but not ideal for it's stated purpose as a "first steps walker", 25 Feb 2010
Mr. L. M. Mcivor "Lee McIvor" (St Albans, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: VTech Baby First Steps Baby Walker (Baby Product)

Although the lights and buttons on the front provide lots of entertainment, the fact that you can't lock the wheels or control them in any way means that if your baby tries to stand up or push it using the handle, it runs away very quickly - and the handle then becomes the first thing to make contact with your baby's face or chin as it slides away!

I've seen one or two other reviewers say they prop it or lean it against something, which is what we've been doing, but this isn't a reliable way to make it safe, and for me it's a major failing of the toy design.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great toy, 27 Jun 2006
D. Saso (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: VTech Baby First Steps Baby Walker (Baby Product)
We bought this toy for my son's first b-day when he was just starting to walk. It really helped him to quickly develop the confidence to walk unaided. It folds up flat, so we took it away with us often when he was first walking. He's 19mths now and still plays with it -- from tearing around the house with it to playing with the piano/letter keys to dancing to the music. He also can say all the letters and words on the 'piano keys' -- undoubtedly from constant repetition! It also has withstood a great deal of wear & tear and still is in good condition. I highly recommend this toy.

4.0 out of 5 stars lively tunes!, 24 May 2006
Lucyp (Co Armagh, NI) - See all my reviews
This review is from: VTech Baby First Steps Baby Walker (Baby Product)
My son got this at Christmas when he was 9 months - hasn't used it yet as a walker but he loves the activity board on it which can be removed from the walker so its handy to put in the cot for entertainment or to put in the car. The tunes are lively and they don't get too annoying even after the 1000th time on hearing them!

VTech Baby First Steps Baby Walker