5.0 out of 5 stars The Bestest Little Gift
Published on 7 Jan. 2006 by Lorna Morgan

2.0 out of 5 stars A good toy, but not ideal for it's stated purpose as a "first steps walker"
My little boy has had this since he was around 7 months old, but as he's now 9 months and starting to stand and try to walk, the limitations of this toy as a "first walker" are very evident...

Although the lights and buttons on the front provide lots of entertainment, the fact that you can't lock the wheels or control them in any way means that if your baby...
Published on 25 Feb. 2010 by Mr. L. M. Mcivor

5.0 out of 5 stars The Bestest Little Gift, 7 Jan. 2006
This review is from: VTech Baby First Steps Baby Walker (Baby Product)
This was a lovely gift for my son, he was 5 months and loved to lie down on his mat and kick the buttons, by 6 months he was sitting in front of it unaided and pushing the buttons, by 8 months I would prop it against the sofa and he would climb up the front to stand in front and play with the higher buttons and by 9 months he was pushing it around. Now he is 15 months and he still loves it. He still plays with the buttons and the phone and despite the use it has had it still looks new. I have not yet seen a design better than this in all the baby clubs we go to. This is the best walker on the market.

The wheels don't lock (none do) the idea is to use it for support when cruising and it's not a walker in the sense of the sit in style, so the baby must be quite steady and strong on their feet before attempting to push it along. It must be used with supervision, as not surprisingly the wheels will roll if the child pushes it, I found it quite sturdy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great but very noisy!, 5 Jun. 2014
N. J. Mc (Hitchin, Herts) - See all my reviews
This review is from: VTech Baby First Steps Baby Walker (Baby Product)
Bought this for my little one as he started cruising. It is great with lots of interesting things for him to play with - but it is very noisy, annoyingly so! The main downside is you can't isolate the different features, so the child may start to play with the little keyboard, but if they pause for too long (about a couple of seconds) between pressing another one, one of the other musical jingles will kick in! It also randomly starts playing its music when no one is near it or playing with it, great if you've forgotten it's on! Apart from that it was a great walker for my toddler, as it was quite light weight (which some may see as a disadvantage as it can wizz along depending on your flooring -we have carpet, so it is not too bad), however my friend did loan us a traditional wooden walker with the bricks and as my little one got more proficient he found he could only go in a straight line, with this one he was able to turn it and change direction, much better in my opinion - although not as 'nice' to look at as the wooden ones.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 9 Sept. 2014
Deborah - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: VTech Baby First Steps Baby Walker (Baby Product)
This is so good my grandson has two of them, sounds silly I know but he has one at home which he loves and now one at my house. I noticed it for £17.99 at Argos I checked the reviews and it sounded excellent I checked with my daughter before buying and she informs me that he'd been bought one by his auntie and he loved it, I looked around then with the intention of finding a different one but the reviews and the price put this one way ahead of everything else. I was a little worried that he wouldn't play with it as much since it was familiar but if anything the opposite seems to be the case he loves it. He's 7 1/2 months at the moments so he's getting to use all of it, he can sit and play with the front then provided it's backed up against something he can pull himself up, which he loves. He can walk a little bit while pushing it as long as I'm making sure it doesn't run away from him. The front is easy to transport so if I'm going somewhere I take it with me, he can sit in a highchair and play with it.
It's turned out to be an excellent buy my only regret is that I didn't get it sooner.

4.0 out of 5 stars an excellent 2-in-1 educational toy for babies & toddlers, 22 Sept. 2007
This review is from: VTech Baby First Steps Baby Walker (Baby Product)
Pros: we bought this baby-walker about 2 weeks ago for our 8 m.o. daughter. she was already standing firmly on her legs and she also was able to move her feet in an attempt to walk, but nothing by herself. since then, she progressed impressively fastly and she now can 'walk' alone ... under a strict surveillance. the toy is just the right height&width.the interactive board is also quite entertaining & she likes lights and buttons, activities are good too with 2 educational modes (music and ABC). easy to handle & carry, it should be used quite often in many situations & independently from the walker.

Cons: nothing really serious... at the beginning it must be used under a strict surveillance as the baby will sooner or later fall (when tired or because of balance). when the baby falls or moves backwards, the toy might be pulled backwards at the same time(would be better if could be weighted on the front) but no risk of getting hurt with it as it's only made of light plastic. there's no way to 'block' the wheels unless we place it against an obstacle. but on the other hand, it's a great exercise to learn balance. so, as long as the baby is not walking firmly, it must be used under a close control.

5.0 out of 5 stars Adherence problem - the solution, 25 Dec. 2012
This review is from: VTech Baby First Steps Baby Walker (Baby Product)
This is a great toy for little one. We purchased this when our little one was 7 1/2 months old. She loved the various activities available on the front panel, and quickly started to use the walker to stand (note: she was already able to stand up by herself whilst holding on to something).

Obviously, the key function of this toy is to help Baby take her first steps. This works wonderfully - on carpet. As other reviewers have pointed out, the wheels slip and don't spin on slick surface (e.g., wooden floors). So when out little one started using the walker to walk (10 months old), its use was limited to carpeted areas of our flat. Worse, when she tried her luck on wooden floors, she lost confidence. Even on carpet, the walker was sometimes too fast for our baby.

Having checked reviews for other walkers, this seems to be a widespread issue with walkers.

Luckily, there is a solution.

I fitted the wheels with "homemade tyres". I put a few elastic bands on each wheel, kept in place by 3 thin strips of duck tape. Obviously, there is no need to ensure the elastic bands sit perfectly flat on the wheels. Quite the opposite actually,
This set up does the trick nicely. The walker's wheels now spin properly on every surface, and our little one can go wherever she wants.

4.0 out of 5 stars My son loves it, 13 Jun. 2014
JEM (Edinburgh) - See all my reviews
This review is from: VTech Baby First Steps Baby Walker (Baby Product)
My son was given this by his granny for Christmas when he was about 6 months. He used it straight away. To be honest we mostly use it detached from the walker and sit him in front of it. At first he enjoyed pushing the piano keys and listening to the music. He was soon able to open the peekaboo door and press the cow. Then he started the spin the cogs then finally he could reach the triangle, square and circle at the top. Now he is 10 months and still enjoys playing with it. He loves to pull off and rattle the phone handset, pull the covers off the shapes and spin the orange and purple spinners at the bottom. He is now learning to walk but this is not really suitable to help with this as it has no break so it just keeps going when he is holding on and he topples over. It's not strong enough for him to pull himself up on. I guess as a walker it is not much use but as an activity toy it is fab.

5.0 out of 5 stars Baby loves it!, 11 Dec. 2011
This review is from: VTech Baby First Steps Baby Walker (Baby Product)
I bought this for my 9 month old grandson. Very easy to put together and sturdy enough to feel safe with.
I read reviews before I bought it and understood that it would roll if not held still. I always stand it against the sofa and my grandson pulls himself up on it . He loves the music and dances along with the tunes. He is beginning to try to walk but I hold it and move it gently for him. I wouldn't leave a nine month old alone, anyway, so it's no problem to help him use this toy.
I can see there is a lot of room to grow with this walker as he gets older and learns to use it without help. I use it on a carpet so it doesn't roll too quickly, but I think it would on a smooth floor.
Nice to look at, nice music - which changes, and baby loves it. I'm very happy with this purchase.

EDIT: Baby is now 13 months and uses this walker to rush around the house. He finds it easy to turn and move through doorways. And, as the weather has turned nicer, he uses it in the garden without any trouble.
Incidentally, the music on this toy is so catchy that he stops and 'dances' when certain tunes come on!

4.0 out of 5 stars # hello puppy calling #, 19 Sept. 2014
Bess_Wheat - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: VTech Baby First Steps Baby Walker (Baby Product)
I would have given this 5 stars if the wheels had been better designed. As others have stated, they are far too fast on wooden floors and need a lock so it can be secured for younger non-walking babies. However, my baby (now 11 months and crawling) has had months of entertainment from this and I do have the song stuck in my head sometimes! This is not a worry for me though as she loves playing with the interactive removable front panel and the 2 modes mean there is lots of fun to be had. Overall definitely a good buy and I'm pleased we decided to buy this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great toy - hours of fun, 22 Jan. 2007
A. Lee (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: VTech Baby First Steps Baby Walker (Baby Product)
Bought this for my 11 month old daughter and she absolutely loves it. She was already cruising the furniture but this has helped her confidence in walking, which she is doing now just a few weeks later. The toy has a great range of sounds and music, and in an English accented voice rather than American like some of the other toys out there. Combines music, numbers and speech for a wide variety of interactive playtimes. Durable and bright, this will provide hours of entertainment for your child - my friend's 2 year old still enjoys playing with it. Highly recommended!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good with a few problems, 8 Jan. 2014
CycleRacing (England) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)
This review is from: VTech Baby First Steps Baby Walker (Baby Product)
Pro's: It is brightly coloured and interactive. It has been enjoyed by two children now and the telephone attachment has been a great success. My toddler, now she is a little old to use it as a walker spends hours chattering away to Peppa Pig on the the attached phone! Our one year old likes pressing all the buttons and seems to be learning some cause and effect from the product.

Con's: The only big draw back with this walker is the speed at which it takes off with child frantically clinging to it. Either child goes with it when learning to walk and falls flat on face or walker seems to take on a life of its own and shoot forward, leaving bewildered child wobbling precariously for a moment before falling. It is simply to fast for a child who is learning to walk.

Having said that, once the child is a little steadier on their feet but trying to gain confidence and steadiness, this walker is ideal.

VTech Baby First Steps Baby Walker