Format: Audio CD|Change

on 30 September 2006
This being my introduction to R.L. Burnside, I am staggered that a man with his background has taken pure blues and infused rock, rap and dj to create a very unique sound. Very highly recommended!! "Goin' Down South" is my current favourite and one that will have people asking you who that is playing. But I suspect that many other songs on here will burn themselves into my mind. I love the Hooker sounding "Bird Without A Feather" and his whole new aproach to "Rollin' And Tumblin'".

This is blues with a raw driving edge to it. Besides the John Lee Hooker and Muddy Waters influences Burnside has what can only be a down-to-earth approach to life. I think he must have been quite a personality with a great sense of humour. I will definately be buying other albums of his and can honestly recommend this one! What a shame he is no longer with us.
on 3 August 2004
I have just heard three full track of this album courtesy of Fat Possum (3 August 2004). At first I thought oh no not another version of Shake'm On Down and Going Down South. But, no, true to form and in the the tradition of blues RL has come up with totally new workings of these two standards. The other track See What My Bubby Done is typical hard driven Burnside blues a real gem. In my humble opinion and based on these tracks alone I suspect this album is going to become a real must have not only for hard core Burnside fanatic like myself but blues fans everywhere. This has got to be the must have blues album of the year. 5 stars is just not adequate, the man is pure genius.
on 13 May 2011
I was disappointed when I first heard this album. I had decided to buy one of his albums, but didn't know which one, and after reading several of your reviewers reviews opted for A Bothered Mind. Having heard great acoustic tracks from him and full on electronica too, this seemed to be a bit of both, yet neither. A couple of the great slide guitar pieces, yes, but sampling (I think) and scratching, something I've never found much use for. I didn't know what to make of it. So I made a copy of it, which I played whenever I found myself sitting in the car, usually waiting for my wife. It suddenly clicked. It was absolutely perfect for that environment. Gradually, I got the songs in my head, and now I play it incessantly at home as well. I want to explore more of his catalogue, because the man can do no wrong in my eyes.
on 21 February 2015
R L Burnside sure has changed from the man he was in his early acoustic Blues recordings. When we get up to the other end ( here) of his recording career it sounds like there was a party going on in the studio with everything consumed that would be at most hell raising parties. I made a copy of the download to play in my car and had the volume up and the windows wound down when someone started hollering on the recording. This caused an elderly couple that I was passing to gawp in shock, thinking that I was totally out of it and hollering at them. Such fun. Do not buy this if you have neighbours who think that 'The Neighbourhood Watch' is an organisation set up specifically for nosey people to gossip about each other, or you happen to live in a traditional, frumpy, repressive, Tory part of the country and like to drive with the windows down. No, do it anyway like I did.

Eamonn
What got me with this album as soon as it started was how fresh the sound was,and had a really heavy blues feel to it,quite refreshing really.This was R.Ls last offering sadly,but did he leave the best for last?.a difficult one,"burnside on burnside"was a fine album,and as im catching up on his music only having discovered him just under 2 years ago via a friend,I still have some digging to do.Theres some great arangements here re-vamped by R.L and a fine band performance,with guests including "Kid rock"--on "my name is robert too".A particually liked The arangement and version of "rolling and tumblin".The production and modern style and aproach of the album with little or no gap between the tracks kept it flowing throught.this style of album may be totally different from R;Ls previous stuff,but thats what makes it so impresive."change"..go get it,will not disapoint.
on 5 April 2011
A Bothered Mind
This is R.L. Burnside's final recording before his demise, and the focus is less on the great man himself and more on the other musicians including a superb track featuring Kid Rock. Nevertheless, it is a fine album and well worth buying if you are a fan of this genre, although not a fitting swansong for the last of the great and original bluesmen.
on 2 September 2013
At least two killer tracks on this album but its very listenable all the way through, dancey hipiddy-hop influences with strong Burnside vocals and guitar riffs running through.
on 11 July 2013
So sorry this guy died before he could produce more work like this, his earlier stuff was very good but this is truly superb.
on 7 June 2014
Very good CD. Tradicional and also Modern revied. sound. I like it a lot. Must have cd. I bought olhar Rl
on 6 October 2014
this is how to vent your emotions great stuff